Making up missed prayers

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
'Abdullah Ibn 'Amr Ibn AI-As related that the Prophet (pbuh) said,
"Allah does not accept the Prayers of three people: whoever leads a group of people who dislike him, whoever prays after missing the due time of the Prayer, and he who enslaved someone after freeing him.”

Reported by Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah

taken from the book "Major sins" by Muhammad bin 'Uthman Adh-Dhahab.

i dont know whether the hadith is saheeh or da'eef. but trust that it is good as i have heard the first part of it many times. Hope knowledgeable ones help me in sha Allah.

@akhi ayman1 - but this is not the hadith i was talking about; still searching. *smiles*

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
ta barak Allah found it...

"The first of people works that they should be called to account for on the Day of Judgment is the Prayer. Our Lord, Holly and Exalted will say to His angels, while knowing better than they, "Look at the Prayer of My servant. Did he perform it in full, or fall short of it?" If it is in order, then he will have prospered and succeeded; if it is wanting, then he will have failed and lost. While if anything is missing from it, He will say, "Look to see if My servant has any supererogatory worship.” And if he has, Allah will say, "Complete My servant's obligatory Prayers for him from his supererogatory ones. “And he will be dealt with likewise in his other works.”

taken from Major sins by Muhammad bin 'Uthman Adh-Dhahabi. The book just says Reported before.

to be honest, i dont know arabic, hence dont know how to interpret 'While if anything is missing from it'.

correct me if i am wrong.

DanyalSAC

I have been in the hospital for three days. I missed my salaat on 2 of those days due to IVs, medications, etc. This falls under neither the "missed due to sleeping" nor "deliberate" circumstances. Today I am in a room with a bathroom so I can make wudu (around the IVs). So how can I make up prayers missed due to illness?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I have been in the hospital for three days. I missed my salaat on 2 of those days due to IVs, medications, etc. This falls under neither the "missed due to sleeping" nor "deliberate" circumstances. Today I am in a room with a bathroom so I can make wudu (around the IVs). So how can I make up prayers missed due to illness?

:salam2:

If you were not in a state to make wudhu, you could have performed tayamum and prayed from your bed in a sitting/lying down position (depending on restraints placed on you due to your medical condition).

InshaAllah you can makeup your prayers now as you didn't perform them before. Though I would recommend you call up your imam and give precedence to his answer over my/our opinions(s).

I hope you recover soon from your ailment. May Allah azz zawajal grant you complete shifaa and leave no disease/ailment remaining in your body. Ameen.

Take care and use this time to make dua (for us all too, please :) ). The dua of the sick is readily accepted.

Hope to hear from you soon and in state of better health InshaAllah. Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Thank you but how does one make tayamum in a hospital?

Try to get some quantity of dirt/soil/sand in a container and you can perform tayammum with it.

How to perform it -

At-Tayammum is the action of wiping ones hands and face with pure soil. The Sunnah is to hit both hands on the soil then wipe over the face, as reported in the following hadeeth of 'Ammar bin Yaasir (ra) who said (in the meaning):

" The Prophet (saws) sent me on some errand, I had a wet dream and I did not find water (to get washed). Therefore, I rolled myself on the ground just as an animal does. When I came back to the Prophet (saws) and mentioned that to him. He said (in the meaning): "It would have been enough for you to do with your hands thus." He (saws) then struck the ground with his hands once, then wiped the right hand with the left one, the outside of the palms of his hands and his face." [Agreed upon]. The sequence of wiping the hands first or the face first is not an essential issue. This means that whichever is started with, will be sufficient as other hadeeths reported the starting with the face then the hands next as is the case in the following hadeeth: "...And he (saws) struck the ground with the palms of his hands, blew into them, then wiped his face and the palms of his hands with them." [Bukhari].

If you want to read more about when it is permissible to perform tayammum and other rulings with regards to it, please read the following links :-

http://www.islaam.net/main/display.php?id=51&category=7

http://abdurrahman.org/tahara/tayammum.html

If you have more questions with regards to Tayammum, please post them here and we will try to answer them Insha Allah.

Take care.. Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

The_truth

I was viewing the online lecture of "The Believer's Castle" and the sheikh mentioned that one cannot ever make up missed prayers unless if they were missed because of sleep or forgetfulness.

I actually missed a lot of prayers when I was young and not practicing, but I've been trying to make these up with each regular prayer. Tell me, is this wrong? Can no prayer at all be done as qadha?

Asalaamu Alaikum,

My sister there is no doubt that there is well-established scholarly consensus (ijma`) that missed obligatory prayers must be made up. [Nawawi, al-Majmu`]

Therefore there is no disputing this fact that we must make up our prayers. We do not have any excuses.

From Imam Nawawi's Riyad al-Salihin ('Garden's of the Righteous') the following:

386. Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Allah Almighty says, 'I have declared war against anyone who shows enmity towards a friend of Mine. My slave does not draw near to Me with anything I love more than what I made obligatory for him. Then My slave continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory actions until I love him. When I love him, I become his hearing with which he hears, his sight by which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. If he asks of Me, I give to him. If he seeks refuge with Me, I give him refuge.'" [al-Bukhari]

Therefore we must make up all of the Fard and Witr prayers we have missed from puberty until now calculating from the best of our ability to the nearest number inshallah.

Consistency is better than burning yourself out, and leaving the endeavour altogether.

Our makeup prayers are also going to be judged by Allah, and we will be rewarded or punished for them. Thus, while we should pray them at a steady, consistent, and fast pace, one should not rush one's prayer.

Most rushing only fuels one's delusions and desire to be 'busy': experience shows that people who make up the most prayers tend to be those who find sweetness and presence of heart in their prayer, and it is this that fuels their determination and enables them to actually make them up as they should.

Organize your time, make a schedule of make up prayers that you stick to, and perform both your confirmed sunna prayers, which the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) essentially never left, as well as your makeup prayers.

At least by making up our prayers we will have the peace of mind that we are trying to fulfill what we neglected in the past.

In regards to missing prayers at work and praying Qadha at home then this is the same as intentionally missing prayers which is a major sin. I myself have know many people like this who for some reason are "Convenience Muslims" as in they only pray when it is convenient for them and when it is not then they neglect and miss the prayer and only pray it when they have'nt got any worldy commitments.

There is NO excuse whatsoever for missing any prayer unless one is completly unconcious. How hard is it for a person to pray when one is at work? I have worked in many different organisations and it is so easy to pray at any workplace.

You do not even need a desginated prayer area as long as there is sufficient space to make sajdah then one can pray anywhere. Break times are sufficient at work but even if one does not have any breaks left then how long does it take to pray a fard prayer? 4 minutes? How long does one take to go toilet at work? 4 minutes? Therefore instead of going toilet one can simply go and pray and it would take less time than one going to the toilet. It is just about making the effort.

Some Muslims actually find it embarressing to pray at work or they don't want to "inconvenience" their organisation. These are truly pathetic excuses. We should be proud to be Muslims and to pray Salaah no matter where we are. What a wonderful way to give dawah to non Muslims at work when they enquire about our prayer or when we make ablution at work.

Therefore let us be proud to be practising Muslims and let us make the effort to pray no matter where we are as there is NO excuse not to pray at work or anywhere else for that matter.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

JazakAllahu Khayr, brother, for taking the time to write the above ^ I actually do regularly pray at work, so that is not an issue.

Also, I just want to say, that this thread is full of a lot of differing rulings. I understand this is one of those topics where some believe one thing, and others believe the opposite. However, even these differences must be a blessing from Allah. The sheikh on Islam QA, who I have usually found to be quite reliable, has said it is necessary to make up missed prayers - so I am making them up. I understand intention is everything - I make dua to Allah SWT to accept my made up prayers, and that if these are not acceptable, to at least consider these as voluntary prayers.