Manning the dawah table today!

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum

Today I am manning the WHY ISLAM dawah table at the Cal Expo state fair here in Sacramento. My shift is for 6 hours, from 4 PM to 10 PM. I am nervous, to say the least. I will be with one of our leads who is also a revert, answering questions about ALLAH and Islam from non-Muslims passing us by. He said that "The questions are really easy and simple stuff" and that "most people are really nice and a lot of people stopped by to thank us for just being there!"

At first I was gonna "represent" with thobe etc, but I decided that since I am dealing with Americans mostly I want to appeal to them as one of them... so jeans and button up shirt it is.

Make dua for me that I am successful in representing Islam!

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum,

InshaAllaah you'll be fine.....may Allaah soften the hearts of those who stop by and may Allaah reward you for your efforts. ameen
Yup....I think jeans and shirt would do it.....just be yourself, you'll be fine.
may Allaah make it easy for you.ameeen

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Rabb ish rahli sadri wa yassir li amri wahlul uqdatam mil lisani yafqahu qawli

“O God open my chest, make my task easy for me and untie the knot in my tongue so that they may understand me”.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Walaykumsalaam akhi Danyal..

That is fantastic.. I wish we had something similar here that I could participate in.

Anyhow, just 2 quick comments :-

1) I recall Sh Kamaal El Mekki (who does a lot of dawah) mentioning in his dawah workshop that non-muslims actually pay more attention (as it rouses curiosity) when they see a guy in Islamic attire and representing the Islamic culture. He has based this on some kind of a survey. I thought I would share it with you.

2) With regards to answering questions, Islam is a natural religion (one which makes a lot of sense). Therefore you should feel free to use the help of logic (and analogy to real life) in explaining ideas. Ofcourse, if you can mention a verse from the Quran or narrate a hadeeth, that would be pretty good.

People also admire honesty. So if you come across a person who asks a deep controversial theoretical question, then you can just tell him that you don't know the answer, but you can ask a scholar and respond back to him. He might actually be surprised by your honesty and develop a liking for muslim people. :)

So relax, nothing can possibly go wrong InshaAllah.

May Allah azz zawajal make is easy for you & put the barakah in your words. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Lol, good luck brother. Insha'Allah it will go well.
Insha Allah I can give Dawah one day, when I am more confident on answering the tough questions.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
wa alaykkum assalaam wa rahmathullahi wa barakatuhu

i think you would have finished your task by now, if Allah has so willed.
so how did it go brother???

DanyalSAC

wa alaykkum assalaam wa rahmathullahi wa barakatuhu

i think you would have finished your task by now, if Allah has so willed.
so how did it go brother???

Asalaamu alaikum -

It went really good, alhamdulillah. Busy, very busy. We had many people stop to ask some very good questions; we of course had a few who weren't interested (one spat on the floor in front of our table). There were three of us, all of us brothers (though we do have many sisters signed up to do their shifts as well) and we took turns doing salaat there. When I did maghrib I heard one lady say to her daughter "Look look, he's doing his prayer...they do that five times a day!".

I felt really good at the end of the day. Though I'm VERY tired.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salamu 'Aleykum Akhy Danyal!!

Wow! they spat? Subhanallah, at least you guys kept your cool though Masha'allah:)
May Allah swt reward you all for trying to spread His deen, and gave us all chances to do the same one day.Aameen

TipuSultan

Banned
Asalaamu alaikum

Today I am manning the WHY ISLAM dawah table at the Cal Expo state fair here in Sacramento. My shift is for 6 hours, from 4 PM to 10 PM. I am nervous, to say the least. I will be with one of our leads who is also a revert, answering questions about ALLAH and Islam from non-Muslims passing us by. He said that "The questions are really easy and simple stuff" and that "most people are really nice and a lot of people stopped by to thank us for just being there!"

At first I was gonna "represent" with thobe etc, but I decided that since I am dealing with Americans mostly I want to appeal to them as one of them... so jeans and button up shirt it is.

Make dua for me that I am successful in representing Islam!

:salam2:

all the best brother inshallah u will do well.i am confident of you and remember u r a part of us.i consider all white/black american muslims as my brothers.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum...

mashaAllaah, alhamduliAllaah....I am glad it went well! alhamduliAllaaah.

we of course had a few who weren't interested (one spat on the floor in front of our table)
about this then.....subhanaAllaah I am glad he didnt spit on you guys! subhanaAllaah....that would have been nastier...eww! AlhamduliAllaah it was just on the floor!
when one is doing Dawah....one should expect both good and bad.
AlhamduliAllaah for everything.

TipuSultan

Banned
Assalaamu alaikum...

mashaAllaah, alhamduliAllaah....I am glad it went well! alhamduliAllaaah.

about this then.....subhanaAllaah I am glad he didnt spit on you guys! subhanaAllaah....that would have been nastier...eww! AlhamduliAllaah it was just on the floor!
when one is doing Dawah....one should expect both good and bad.
AlhamduliAllaah for everything.

nasty chap.spit on the face I would have punched on his nose.

DanyalSAC

very nice.
you should have given some gift to the one who spat.

I was willing to talk to him about it, if he would have gone the way of manners and approached us. But he was with about 4 or 5 other young men - all of them carrying beers - so there was no trying.

that wouldn't have been much of Dawah then,would it akhi???

@akhi Danyal,looks like i just missed the whole thing.however it's never too late to say MABROOK!!it went all well inshallah:)

Thank you! I am also manning the table again tomorrow from 10 AM to 4 PM inshallah.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
may Allah ease it up for you akhi..

im sure all this fatigue is nothing if atleast one person catches you hand and says shahadah, insha Allah.. :).

all the best for tomorrow (or today may be.. darn.. different time zones. :p)

wa salaam

DanyalSAC

Today was a very busy day. The da'es today were myself and two others, one brother and one young sister.

We had many folks come to the table, and I did most of the talking. The older bro. who was in charge has asked me to come back; he said not every day, as that would burn anyone out, but every other day.

This time we had one or two who wanted to get political, and one said that the Qur'an lied about Jesus s.a.w. but he wasn't interested in hearing about it.

We had one young man who is close to shahadah - I got his contact info and will put him in touch with a local masjid. Most likely I will meet him there, as most of the masajid here in Sacramento don't bother answering their phones or emails. Also one man who turned out to be a Christian minister walked away with a Qur'an and brochures about Islam.

It was a good day, and I am beat.