Martin Lings was a sufi?

Aisha muslima

As salam alaykum. I read in wikipedia the biography of Martin Lings, the famous writer of an important biography of the Prophet Muhammed (sAas). This article, tells that he became a sufi. Now, I'd like to know if his biography of tre Prophet ss was based on sufi knowledge or not, because I got an italian copy of this book, and if it is conforming to the sunnah or not. Thanks for your attention,:salam2:

Aisha muslima

Jazak Allahu khairan. Now my doubt is clarified... But I'm in sorrow, because here in Italy this book is very appreciate by the muslims for its completeness. But if in it there are some wrong teaches, we must to be careful...
Salam wa rahmatuLlah and thank you.

Globalpeace

Banned
Jazak Allahu khairan. Now my doubt is clarified... But I'm in sorrow, because here in Italy this book is very appreciate by the muslims for its completeness. But if in it there are some wrong teaches, we must to be careful...
Salam wa rahmatuLlah and thank you.

Asslamo Allaikum,

Shaykh (RA) belonged to an organisation called the Murabatoon (Norwich, UK) currently headed by Ian Dallas (Abdul Qadir As-Sufi).

He practised the Shadhili Daraqwi Tareeqa and the Maliki Madhab.

kayleigh

I can understand your hesitancy. I enjoyed the book quite a bit, and most Muslims (non-reverts) I know absolutely love it and would suggest it. Some people consider it controversial, so, if you want to avoid anything doubtful, I'd suggest the biography by Karen Armstrong...that's a good one.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Why resort to non-Muslims for authentic texts. Will the Chrisitans ever read a book by a Muslim on Jesus? The bottom line is a person who has not accepted Islam will never understand the love Muslims hold for the prophet (swas). It is always the sublte infrences that make me read only Muslims...that is a personal bias...besides we have the sunnath...which is really more important..it is alive.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
:salam2:
Well I would definately never put a book above the Quran or hadiths, but a good book is a good book. I don't want to guess what a non Muslim thinks I'd rather find out by reading what they know about Islam. "knowledge is power" lol I'm in a dorky mood sorry

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

That's ok. I read a great book..I want to say Ibn Hashim..but I returned it to the masjid. This is the definitive biography on the prophet (swas). I will look it up this weekend.
I am going to beam up for the night.