middle eastern online class

yellowFlower

TRUST in Allah [SWT]
assalamu alaikum, brothers and sisters.

the spring semester has recently started in college, Alhamdulilah. i'm taking an online class on history, specifically about middle east. when looking over the required textbooks list for this course, i got very skeptical, but decided to check out that class anyways, and see what people got to say about it.

Alhamdulilah, everything went really well. the first class discussion was about prophet muhammad, peace be upon him, and the answers from the students were exceptional...... until last night. a girl answered negatively, which got me angry, apparently. she said that prophet muhammad, peace be upon him, is a kind of man who made up his own belief and that he was just "another person" who changed people's beliefs. astaghfirullah! i directly quoted what she said and asked where she got that from and that Allah, subhana wa tala, chose him as a last messenger to spread about islam.

then, today some rudeish guy quoted my question i have given to her, telling me how i said "Allah has chosen..." is the same way how i questioned her, and that people would question me where i got that from. apparently, he followed the required textbooks in the course and won't take the quran as a source.

i dunno if i'm making any senses here. i feel offended because it's like he doesn't care what the quran says, and we only have to use our textbooks as references even though they are most likely inaccurate. i refuse to read them. should i actually drop out of this class because it's useless? yet, at the same time, i would love to give them dawah sometimes, but isn't it actually inappropriate because it's a class? what to do, what to do?

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum.

There are many saying about those who reject Truth. Would we place a golden necklace on a cow or throw pearls before swine? Often when someone makes it clear that they have no respect for Al Quran, the best thing we can do is to stop trying to share Truth with that person for they will not appreciate it. I have encountered individuals who despise the Truth and others who are simply blinded to it. When it is clear that a person has no desire to receive that which Allah has provide them, I simply stop. I suppose we can pray that there eyes will be opened, but it does no good to continue to share Scripture with them.

kayleigh

She is answering honestly as someone who does not believe in Islam, and I don't think that is something to get upset about in the classroom. You can't expect everyone to believe that he was a prophet. If her language was disrespectful, then that is one thing. But if not, then there is no reason for you to be upset with her.

I don't think you should drop out of the class because of other students.

hana*

I totally agree with what brother Frank said. Allah has spoke about these types of people numerous times in the Quran for they are: deaf, dumb, blind from the truth. what angers me is that people are so quick to make comments about Islam with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever on it! I guess it is easy for the tounge to roll out such comments- their hisab is with Allah.

Perhaps you could do a powerpoint presentation to the class about the truth of Islam (with prior consent from the teacher?). you never know, it may so be that one person in that class is guided to the truth by what you say.

all the best sis

yellowFlower

TRUST in Allah [SWT]
sister kayleigh, it wasn't just her alone. if this keeps going on, then i will always lose the "backup" on my claims because none of these claims are going to be in the nonmuslim textbooks which leads to people accusing me cuz i used "wrong" info. apparently, the teacher is a nonmuslim and overall, it is actually useless to be in that class. i don't waste my time with anyone going against islam. all i did was to give right info according to reading the quran, see what people has to say, and give dawah if i can. yet, it turned out that these people are ignorant and only follow what the textbooks say, and not the quran even though everyone in class knows that it is a guide the muslims follow.

so, it's really pointless. why keep going? i take brother frank's suggestion: simply stop. Alhamdulilah, i dropped that class last night.

anyhow, jazakallah khair everyone including you, sister kayleigh, for the thoughts. may Allah help us all.

assalamu alaikum.

kayleigh

Sorry if this sounds rude, but I'm honestly curious - why would you sign up for a class in a secular university that had anything to do with Muslims if you knew you would be offended by people who didn't believe in God, or Muhammad, or be taught by a non-Muslim teacher?

In a secular university setting, you will always run into people who have differing beliefs, and typically, holy books are not accepted as proof of anything unless the purpose of the class or assignment is to study the religion or book itself. So while it may have been close minded of those students (or just lazy of them) to take the time to learn something from another book in order to understand your viewpoint, refusing to take the Qur'an as proof of anything isn't really inappropriate, or unexpected.

yellowFlower

TRUST in Allah [SWT]
like i said, i wanted to see what they have to say, and clear some things up and be able to give dawah if possible. and obviously, it wouldn't work because of the course restrictions. and as a revert, i wanted to put myself into a challenge, yet taking that class was a mistake. once again, being with those who are against islam regardless of what any muslims say to them with truth is pure pointless.

assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.