Milk symbolic of moderation?

Ladybug3478

Salam,

I am reading Muhammad's (PBUH) biography. It had mentioned that during Muhammad's (PBUH) journey to the heavens - he was offered milk, water, or wine and the milk was selected. The book stated this was symbolic to moderation. I've heard the word 'moderation' used a couple of times and don't think I understand it. How does the milk = moderation? Thanks.

Wa'Salam

BinKhadija

An Akhu
Wa'alikum salaam sister,

You know the word 'moderation' itself, don't you? It means: "control of your behaviour, so that you keep your actions, feelings, habits etc within reasonable limits".

When we think about it, if you are in heaven, you in there have permition to have and do anything you like; from simplest to leasurist. I'd say, water would be on one end being too simple to be fancied in Heaven! On the other hand, drinking wine, even given the permission, would make you feel like you were looking forward to enter Jannah just for this. So, milk would be somewhere in the middle - a complete diet as well as a drink, avoiding diadvantages of both extreme choices and enjoying benefits of both options to an extent.

Well, this is my understanding of the word in this case. I hope some knowledgable person could enlighten us both. Insha'Allah.
:salam2:

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Yes what you have read is true. Allah (subuhaanahu wata'aala) tested Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) by 3 bowls one of Honey, other with milk and the last one with wine. The following 2 hadiths informs us about the incident. Imam al-Bukhari has included them in his Sahih book.

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: Allah's Apostle drank milk and then rinsed his mouth and said, "It contains fat. The Prophet added: I was raised to the Lote Tree and saw four rivers, two of which were coming out and two going in. Those which were coming out were the Nile and the Euphrates, and those which were going in were two rivers in paradise. Then I was given three bowls, one containing milk, and another containing honey, and a third containing wine. I took the bowl containing milk and drank it. It was said to me, "You and your followers will be on the right path (of Islam)."

Narrated Abu Huraira: On the night Allah's Apostle was taken on a night journey (Miraj) two cups, one containing wine and the other milk, were presented to him at Jerusalem. He looked at it and took the cup of milk. Gabriel said, "Praise be to Allah Who guided you to Al-Fitra (the right path); if you had taken (the cup of) wine, your nation would have gone astray."

So yes we are blessed by Allah (subuhaanahu wata'aala). Alhamdhulillahi Rabbil 'Aalameen.

As per the word, I cannot say anything because as I used to tell often, I am horrible in Language. LOL. :)

Hope this helps even a little.

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Ladybug3478

Salam,

Thank you all. I believe I have begun to understand but, not quite there. (smile)

So, Muhammad (PBUH) was in a state of Fitrah (purity), which, Allah used to guide him to the right path. The right path was 'milk' - symbolic as it stood for 'moderation'. Moderation (as I understand it at the moment)...to be patient, not extreme, grounded :), faithful to Allah as prescibed for man. As for wine - it is easy to over indulge and go astray. And, I'm not that sure about the water...but, from what has been explained - it's too simple. My problem here is...I understand water as being pure/ perfect so, I can't really grasp why the water would be a problem??

Oh, water wasn't the option it was honey...hmmmm...too sweet maybe and therefore easy to go astray??? Am I creating innovation by writting this in an attempt to understand it in my brain?? Are there other hadiths to help me compute this in my head? Thanks.

Okay, so, as I've learned from another post...what I said above is innovation. Not, sure if I should delete what I previously wrote?? My next question is...what is written about 'ways' a person can go about trying to understand what was revealed? Should I just try to compute it quitely in my head?? I don't know. Can someone guide me on this?

Wa'Salam

mhamzah

Salam,

Thank you all. I believe I have begun to understand but, not quite there. (smile)

So, Muhammad (PBUH) was in a state of Fitrah (purity), which, Allah used to guide him to the right path. The right path was 'milk' - symbolic as it stood for 'moderation'. Moderation (as I understand it at the moment)...to be patient, not extreme, grounded :), faithful to Allah as prescibed for man. As for wine - it is easy to over indulge and go astray. And, I'm not that sure about the water...but, from what has been explained - it's too simple. My problem here is...I understand water as being pure/ perfect so, I can't really grasp why the water would be a problem??

Oh, water wasn't the option it was honey...hmmmm...too sweet maybe and therefore easy to go astray??? Am I creating innovation by writting this in an attempt to understand it in my brain?? Are there other hadiths to help me compute this in my head? Thanks.

Wa'Salam

Which book of Seerah are you reading. I'll quote from Muhammad (pbuh), his life based on early sources by Martin Lings.

On page 101 it states, 'Then two vessels were brought before him and offered him, one of wine and the other of milk. He took the vessel of milk and drank from it, but left the vessel of wine and Gabriel said: 'Thou hast been guided unto the path primordial, and hast guided thereunto thy people, O Muhammad, and wine is forbidden you.'

:wasalam:

mhamzah

Salam,

My next question is...what is written about 'ways' a person can go about trying to understand what was revealed? Should I just try to compute it quitely in my head?? I don't know. Can someone guide me on this?[/COLOR]

Wa'Salam

There is a verse in the Quran which states when discussing the Qur'an one should sit alone and reflect on its meaning or discuss it in groups of two. Let me see if I can find the verse right now.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Just to add:

All the while I only learned that The Prophet (Allah's blessings and peace be upon him) was offerred two vessels only, one contained milk the other was wine. But let assume there is the 3rd one, water.

Milk - can heal your thirst as well as your hunger
Water - can heal your thirst but not your hunger
Wine - no benefits at all

Ladybug3478

Salam,

Thanks for your help.

I'm reading The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) a biography by Barnaby Rogerson.

On page #113 it states ....'Here he was offered three goblets - of wine, milk, and water. Symbolically he chose the milk, the measured middle way between the paths of asceticism and indulgence. Okay, I'm on page 140 and just looked up the word 'asceticism'. Sorry. Not sure why I didn't pay attention when I first read it. Well, still something was learnt. Thanks. :)

Wa'Salam

mhamzah

Say, "I only advise you of one [thing] - that you stand for Allah , [seeking truth] by twos and singly, and then reflect." There is not in your companion any madness. He is only a warner to you before a severe punishment. (34:46)