Multiple personalities and Islam

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
:salam2: brothers and sisters, I hope this reaches you in the best of health/imaan.

I am very curious about a video I was watching. I like and enjoy psychology very much, so I youtubed documentries on multiple personalities and found the following video:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmLE8BhF8U8

I was wondering the Islamic perspective on this mental illness?? is this some sort of Jinn that people have? are they really possessed?? or is there another explaination?

Any information you have will be helpful!

May Allaah bless you!

ShyHijabi

Multiple personality disorder has nothing to do with Jinn. This is a disorder caused by severe early childhood abuse, usually sexual in nature. The child will dissociate into another form of consciousness as a defense. It is more appropriately known as Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Mental illness is not shaitaan, it's not Jinn....it is illness, plain and simple.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Multiple personality disorder has nothing to do with Jinn. This is a disorder caused by severe early childhood abuse, usually sexual in nature. The child will dissociate into another form of consciousness as a defense. It is more appropriately known as Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Mental illness is not shaitaan, it's not Jinn....it is illness, plain and simple.

hmm, very interesting....yea thats what the documentary said as I watched. I understand it more, it is just that I did not know what exactly it was. Like you said though, John, the guy in the video was sexually abused as a child so in order to fight/block his memory he developed different personalities. It is amazing and facinating at the same time. Subhana'Allah

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
wa iyaki akhi......

*oh jazaka'Allaah khair to you sister Shyhijabi for sharing that information. May Allaah bless you and your family with good in here and in the here after! ameen

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Having a background in psychology, I used to be obsessed with Multiple Personality Disorder/Dissociative Identity Disorder. I remember posting articles about it up on the wall of my room. It's always fascinated me just how complex the mind can be to the point where even defense mechanisms to the most dire of trauma can manifest themselves in such diverse ways.

It's still my "favorite" disorder to learn about and I hope to work with DID patients one day.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Having a background in psychology, I used to be obsessed with Multiple Personality Disorder/Dissociative Identity Disorder. I remember posting articles about it up on the wall of my room. It's always fascinated me just how complex the mind can be to the point where even defense mechanisms to the most dire of trauma can manifest themselves in such diverse ways.

It's still my "favorite" disorder to learn about and I hope to work with DID patients one day.

Subhana'Allaah sister...same here! I am like super facinated by the complexity of our brain! I am studying psychology now, and I am more obsessed learning about the disorder than anything else!! subhana'Allaah...

may Allaah make your hope and dreams come true....ameen
I am still researching on it......very interesting indeed!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sisters, stuff is interesting. Insha'Allah, when you will be assigned cases with these disorders your work will be fun.
I believe somewhere on this site is buried a wonderful pdf on Islam and mental disorders. I read it.

When we provide services to clients I discovered my reference always had to be Islamic. Therefore I ,cleverly, interwove Islamic concepts. They sped up therapy. ( Yes, I introduced the God word in my sessions ).

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
Sister Shy Hijabi,I had experiences with the world of jinn,for many years I suffered for mental turbolences,I had a double,maybe triple personality,I made actions while I was terribli in anguish for something,but after some minutes I was sweet like honey.Last year I had the answer to my desease:bipolar disturb of personality.the doctors only could purpose me some medicines to calm my illness.my father suffered for the same disease and his father too.I refused to drink those medicaments and when I went to Morocco,the disease manifested entirely,;I was bad-treated from my father and had a bad childhood,so in my mind I had the fear of him,but in the same time I hated him.I discovered with surprise that everything I was suffering was due to Jinn:it were them who made me feel so bad,because they knew that I couldn't live far from my father.mental disease has to do with jinn,because they possess people just when they are weaker:wasalam:.
now I'm in peace with my father,because I overpassed my trauma;when I made him say the shahada I had no problems in my daylife.

arzafar

^^^ no but mental disorder is different from black magic.

talking about defense mechanisms and psychology here is an interesting experiment.

[yt]B738X-ibz2o[/yt]

[yt]TYIh4MkcfJA[/yt]

and people say im stubborn! :SMILY139:

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum: Sis.

If you are a practicing psychologist,I will need some help by you.

Regards.

ShyHijabi

Assalam Alaikum: Sis.

If you are a practicing psychologist,I will need some help by you.

Regards.

No but I am about 6 weeks away from being a Physician, insh'Allah. However I have an undergrad degree in Psychology. However you need to find a counselor that can help in real life as I can't do much online. :(

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Salaam,

Sister Aapa, I tried to find that PDF on Islam and disorders and was out of luck. Do you remember the thread starter or the name of the thread?? can anybody tell me books on psychology and Islam so that I can read more on those? may Allaah bless you all!
Brother Saching4islam...I agree with sister Shyhijabi....its better that you look for a counselor that can help you in real life rather than virtual. May Allaah grant you that what you need in here and in the hereafter. ameen

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
:salam2: brothers and sisters, I hope this reaches you in the best of health/imaan.

I am very curious about a video I was watching. I like and enjoy psychology very much, so I youtubed documentries on multiple personalities and found the following video:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmLE8BhF8U8

I was wondering the Islamic perspective on this mental illness?? is this some sort of Jinn that people have? are they really possessed?? or is there another explaination?

Any information you have will be helpful!

May Allaah bless you!

Asalaamu Alaykum

It is true that not every mental disorder has to do with Jinn/Shaytan possession, but I would say the majority of it does. Any one who has experienced Jinn possession will tell you that it's as if having a different personality. Some have no idea what they're doing and some even though know what is going on and coming out of their mouth but still cannot control themselves. They will tell you it was not me saying these things, subhanaAllah. So I think most probably Multiple personality disorder has a lot to do with Jinn/Shaytan Possession...Allahu A'lam.

It's also interesting that one of the sisters mentioned that people who go through traumtic or extreme fearful situations usually develop these disorders, well...how does Jinn usually possess or enter the human body? It is of course in many different occasions but I have read that it is when someone feels extreme fear that jinns enter the person among other things such as not remembering Allah, negligecting salaah, or indulging in sinful acts...etc. And Allahu A'lam.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Let me simplify our understanding of most mental disorders.

We are always trying to maintain a balance. We have responsibilities and duties. We have dreams and ambitions, at all times. That is being fully human. Our first goal is to survive and get the best of that is offered in this world.

For some disorders it is a matter of our feelings getting hurt: big time. We feel slighted and hold on to the negative emotion of rejection. From the precise moment that we feel the rejection we blame the whole world. We have lost the race for competition. The antidote to this is simple. We have to seek knowledge from Allah. We have to through prayer understand negativity lies in the hands of the shytans. We have to come to accept that we can not hold on to a negative moment forever. We have to move forward and we can only move forward when we are not holding onto a false belief i.e. that we were purposefully hurt. Much of the Obsessive-Compulsive disorders stem from this holding on to hurt feelings.

Other disorders are a result of arrogance. The ego can not do the only right thing: Fall down and accept the Dominion of Allah. In not being able to do so it may shatter. Here we would have examples of some psychotic disorders and narcissistic borderline personalities.

And yes, Sister, I will take the time to dig up the manuscript.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
No but I am about 6 weeks away from being a Physician, insh'Allah. However I have an undergrad degree in Psychology. However you need to find a counselor that can help in real life as I can't do much online. :(

I had no idea! Congratulations and masha Allah!
I've always seen your smart replies in terms of the medical field, but I assumed you were maybe a RN or Physicians Assistant. Now i know :)

auroran

Shaytaan & Co. are losers! Some cases are caused by the jinn, for example, this serial killer said a black dog told him to kill people. Another common case is when they possess you, and you are diagnosed with depression even though you really aren't, and you just take medicine for your whole life time.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

We try not to come to conclusions without sound proof. A serial killer listening to a black dog is a little on the bizarre side. The killer killed. The impetus, the black dog, needs to be studied. We can not say it was a jinn as there as been no proof provided.

A person receives a psychiatric diagnosis upon an extensive examination. When the illness is identified there are many paths to treatment. The laws of the US only allow physicians i.e. psychiatrists to prescribe medications. We often have to have medication to stop the physical abnormalities. Once the patient is able to be stabilized then therapy can be initiated.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I am finally back,I wanted to make tou know that I made many bad things,such as hitting myself with a knife,I tempted suicide,I felt a sensation of pleasure,while I was looking to my daughter suffering.It was the presence of jinn,which made me see everything in a negative way.my sister has been killed by my dad,but he maybe didn't remember what he did,because I knew that a jinn made he do what he did.:shymuslima1:
I'm not very proud of my past,but now everything's got better

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I caution us to walk down this path very carefully. We have a public forum. We can not make generalizations as there are individual circumstances that lead to the fragmentation of the ego to protect itself from harm. Some call it possession from jinns. Some call it a psychotic episode. What we can say is there are experiences that are traumatic in nature. How a person reacts to this trauma is indicative of the ego reality. Some can cope others break down and this breaking down can lead to multiple personalities. All that is saying is the person is so scared their ego has divided to protect the self from harm.