Muslim astronaut's space odyssey 'giant leap for all Malaysians'

apocalypse77

http://www.angkasawan.com.my/mainatsb/atsb/news20071010.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh_Muszaphar_Shukor

200px-Muszaphar_shukor.jpg

183311main_jsc2007e038131_small.jpg

THE primary team with Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor Sheikh Mustapha will be launched into space at 9.21pm today.

The Russian Space Agency, Roscosmos, confirmed its selection of the team by the cosmonaut selection committee at a final meeting held at Cosmonaut Hotel, Baikonur, yesterday.

Capt Dr Faiz Khaleed remains in the secondary crew and may take Dr Muszaphar's place if the latter is unable to perform his function in the next few hours.

With the selection of the primary team, Dr Muszaphar will be going up to the International Space Station (ISS) with his team members, commander Peggy Whitson and cosmonaut Yuri Malechenko.

Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Seri Dr Jamaludin Jarjis said he was happy to note that the Russians were satisfied with Dr Faiz's performance during training and has proposed that he continue his training with Roscosmos.

"When I return to Kuala Lumpur I will be recommending to the cabinet that Dr Faiz be considered for the next space mission possibly in 2008 or 2009 to the ISS.

Both angkasawan were present at the Roscosmos meeting with their respective key members, although they were separated from others by a glass door to ensure that their health is maintained at an optimum.

"Both our angkasawan impressed those present when they addressed the committee in Russian.

"I was told they thanked the Malaysian and Russian governments, Roscosmos and the Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Centre for training them.

"They also expressed their readiness for the programme and how they were looking forward to going into space. As the only other Malaysian present, I was very proud when the Russians applauded them after they spoke."

Jamaludin said he was given the opportunity to speak to the committee.

"I told them how historical this event was as we are also celebrating our 50th anniversary of our independence, and that the angkasawan programme was a 'moon shot' programme to spur Malaysians to embrace science and technology."

He said it was also significant for the space community because it is also 50 years since the first satellite "Sputnik" was launched in October 1957.

Meanwhile, Dr Muszaphar hopes to inspire Malaysians just like Yuri Gagarin did more than 45 years ago.

Paraphrasing US astronaut Neil Armstrong's words when he became the first man on the moon in 1969, Dr Muszaphar said the journey would be a "giant leap" for all Malaysians.

He said this from behind a hermetically sealed glass partition, part of the cosmonauts' pre-flight quarantine.

He took the most inspiration from Gagarin, the Russian who became the first man in space in 1961.

"I'm hoping to be like Yuri Gagarin and inspire the nation," said Dr Muszaphar, sitting next to the other Expedition-16 members due to fly on the Russian Soyuz TMA-11 rocket.

He will become the first Muslim to fly into space during the fasting month of Ramadan after being selected from 11,000 candidates.

But Dr Muszaphar said he was unsure if he would be able to hug his family before blasting off.

"My mum has always been worried about me (going into space)," he said.

"Any mother would be worried about her son."

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
SubhanAllaah it must be scary to be up there...I'm curious, he looks too young to be called a Sheikh :D

Assalamualaikum sister hurul ein and bro Abdur Raheem,

Here in Singapore and Malaysia the term Sheikh is used as a name not a islamic scholar .

Also For some yemeni arabs , some people they have a sheikh in front . This doesnt mean they are an islamic scholar , it is actually due to a certain family name. like if you have this family name they usually name their child as Sheikh something....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Never seen a sheikh( an islamic scholar) working as a part time model

BintMuhammad

Staff member

Here in Singapore and Malaysia the term Sheikh is used as a name not a islamic scholar .

Also For some yemeni arabs , some people they have a sheikh in front . This doesnt mean they are an islamic scholar , it is actually due to a certain family name. like if you have this family name they usually name their child as Sheikh something....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Never seen a sheikh( an islamic scholar) working as a part time model

:salam2:

Hmm that's interesting :D Well, thanks for clearing it up..Eid Mubaarak!

apocalypse77

i read somewhere hes got arab blood..i dont know if its true :p

juriespoint

:salam2:
i've heard this news on tv just this morning. he's practically insane going to space, it's scarry up there. may Allah guide him.

@hurul-ein
magtext ka gaga. :D

dianne

i read somewhere hes got arab blood..i dont know if its true :p

Salam,

If its not true,ppl doesnt simply use the tittle of "Sheikh" in front of the name,he is arabs blood from the grandfather to father.

His brother was passed away coz hit the wall while hes walking on the streets a week after hes on space.leaving young wife and 2kids.

May Allah swt bless his souls.amin.

wassalam