Muslim World Inflamed Over Rushdie Knighthood

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
Pakistan and Iran have condemned Britain's award of a knighthood to India-born author Salman Rushdie as an affront to Muslim sentiments, with Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman calling it "obvious proof of anti-Islamism by ranking British officials" and a Pakistani Cabinet minister saying the honor provided a justification for suicide attacks.

In the eastern city of Multan, Pakistan, hard-line Muslim students burned effigies of Queen Elizabeth II and Rushdie June 18. About 100 students carrying banners condemning the author also chanted, "Kill him! Kill him!"

On June 17, Iran Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said granting Britain's highest honor to Rushdie, whose novel "The Satanic Verses" sparked a death threat nearly a decade ago, insulted the Muslim world. His comments came during a time of especially tense relations between the Islamic republic and the West.

"Awarding a person who is among the most detested characters in the Islamic society is obvious proof of anti-Islamism by ranking British officials," Hosseini said at his weekly press conference.

Waterdrop

Banned
Pakistan

In the eastern city of Multan, Pakistan, hard-line Muslim students burned effigies of Queen Elizabeth II and Rushdie June 18. About 100 students carrying banners condemning the author also chanted, "Kill him! Kill him!"

QUOTE]

wow, they want to kill someone over a book? Sounds shortminded if you ask me. How about countering his book with another or seeking a dialougue? It seems to me that evertime an "efigy" (which many in the west see as extremely humourous) is burnt, that group, whomever it may be, loses credibility.

Redneck

I think it is wrong to award a knighthood to someone who knowingly went looking to cause big trouble in the world.

However we shouldn't let this lead us to anger. All the Europeans and Americans will see is flag burning, shouting , and banner waving.

Remember, to understand the Western Media you have to know its core principle :
The medium is the message- The message is the medium.

TV viewers won't hear the truth, but they will be left with completely the wrong impression of what we are about - images of anger . Most non Muslim Europeans know nothing about Islam. They will just watch the news and say:

" Look, those Muslims are at it again let's change channels..."

Rushdies book hasn't stirred a debate amongst non Muslims because, unless
we break the deadlock of the media associating Islam with anger and violence, non Muslim Europeans that is what we will be associated with
in their minds. They won't listen and they won't read.

I have just listened to a wonderful speech by a Muslim aid worker from Palestine. We should work to get this kind of persons story told on the T.V.
not be giving even more publicity and money to Mr. Rushdie.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
:salam2:

Ironically, in many Muslim countries, by far less democratic and with weaker freedom of speech than western countries, Dan Brown's The Davinci Code (along with the movie adaptation) was either limited or totally banned in order not to "insult" Christians living in Muslim lands. No one could watch the movie in cenima where I live! Not to mention that The Davinci Code is less bitter than The Satanic Verses.

The concept of "freedom of speech" needs to be refined!

konrad16660

open your eyes.

the news will show you only what the goverment and those in controls want to show you. Remember Katrina? Yea all it showed was black people looting, when in reality that was completely false. It was a very small aspect of what was going on. So please when they point that camera's at somthing remeber here in the United States we are made to hate muslims. If they can't convince the general public that muslims are evil, their agenda won't work.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
I think it is wrong to award a knighthood to someone who knowingly went looking to cause big trouble in the world.

However we shouldn't let this lead us to anger. All the Europeans and Americans will see is flag burning, shouting , and banner waving.

Remember, to understand the Western Media you have to know its core principle :
The medium is the message- The message is the medium.

TV viewers won't hear the truth, but they will be left with completely the wrong impression of what we are about - images of anger . Most non Muslim Europeans know nothing about Islam. They will just watch the news and say:

" Look, those Muslims are at it again let's change channels..."

Rushdies book hasn't stirred a debate amongst non Muslims because, unless
we break the deadlock of the media associating Islam with anger and violence, non Muslim Europeans that is what we will be associated with
in their minds. They won't listen and they won't read.

I have just listened to a wonderful speech by a Muslim aid worker from Palestine. We should work to get this kind of persons story told on the T.V.
not be giving even more publicity and money to Mr. Rushdie.

I agree, Rushdie's book became famous only after Ayatullah's fatwa. The fatwa scapegoated Rushdie and made a "hero" out of him.

Redneck

abdallahbilal: There are some great stories out there which reflect the strength, compassion, and dignity of Muslims throughout the world. True freedom would be to allow them to speak.

Konraad : katrina was a terrible tragedy . It was made far worse by the
way it was reported . It magnified and turned something that had previously not been an issue into one.

The media, and all those they keep in power - They have only one ( very old ) trick :

... they help each of us "forget".

Lets not fall for it .

We can take back our lives, our families, our communities and maybe even bigger things as long as we don't play to their rules. Under the rules given to us through the prophet (pbuh) from Allah (SWT) we win. No contest.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Hi !

:SMILY139: Hi !
We can take back our lives, our families, our communities and maybe even bigger things as long as we don't play to their rules. Under the rules given to us through the prophet (pbuh) from Allah (SWT) we win. No contest.

I agree completely, with you.

P.S. I am still waiting for the remaining story you promised to tell us

Waterdrop

Banned
:salam2:

Ironically, in many Muslim countries, by far less democratic and with weaker freedom of speech than western countries, Dan Brown's The Davinci Code (along with the movie adaptation) was either limited or totally banned in order not to "insult" Christians living in Muslim lands. No one could watch the movie in cenima where I live! Not to mention that The Davinci Code is less bitter than The Satanic Verses.

The concept of "freedom of speech" needs to be refined!

There are those, as you said on the Christian side, that don't approve of the Davinci Code, I on the other hand can take it as it is. I don't believe it to be fact. However i'm not about to go protest because everyone has the right to write anything they want. I've yet to see the movie (i'm not a huge movie-goer) but would like to rent it someday.

Waterdrop

Banned
the news will show you only what the goverment and those in controls want to show you. Remember Katrina? Yea all it showed was black people looting, when in reality that was completely false. It was a very small aspect of what was going on. So please when they point that camera's at somthing remeber here in the United States we are made to hate muslims. If they can't convince the general public that muslims are evil, their agenda won't work.

we are not made to hate muslims at all. I hate noone and many feel the same way. You can only be made to hate if you are already filled with it.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
There are those, as you said on the Christian side, that don't approve of the Davinci Code, I on the other hand can take it as it is. I don't believe it to be fact. However i'm not about to go protest because everyone has the right to write anything they want. I've yet to see the movie (i'm not a huge movie-goer) but would like to rent it someday.

Salam,

Everyone has the right to write and express whatever he wants = Law

Everyone should not insult anyone = Ethics, Morality, and Commonsense

The above two elements are separate in the "modern" secular world, unfortunately.

Even if law allowed me to "insult" the religion or culture of somebody, I personally won't do it. The Quran taught us not to do so and so did the prophet, even if others started the offense. The wisdom of the Quran is that insulting somebody's religion will lead to a circular action-and-reaction sieries of insults:

Do not curse the idols they set up beside GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done. (6:108)

Isn't that teaching very beautiful??

Waterdrop

Banned

Salam,

Everyone has the right to write and express whatever he wants = Law

That is true

Everyone should not insult anyone = Ethics, Morality, and Commonsense

Morality is a relative term, morality is differnt from country to country

The above two elements are separate in the "modern" secular world, unfortunately.

hence freedom of speech[/B]

Even if law allowed me to "insult" the religion or culture of somebody, I personally won't do it.

that's your choice, personally I wouldn't either unless it tried infringing on my belieefs

The Quran taught us not to do so and so did the prophet, even if others started the offense. The wisdom of the Quran is that insulting somebody's religion will lead to a circular action-and-reaction sieries of insults:

it is your choice to follow the quran's teachings, not everyone believes in the quran so it's directions don't apply to everyone (however the world would be a better place if we respected one another more no matter what religion we are)

I never said i condone everything people write, but they are free people and should be able to write what they want no matter how, correct, wrong, brilliant, stupid (insert adjective here).

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
Morality is a relative term, morality is differnt from country to country.

Salam,
So it's ok for u if some country's version of morality allows people to insult each other!!!

If it's culturally agreeable in a country to rape and kill children, can we say "come on, it's just their version of morality".

I agree with u morality is relative. But still there are shared moral values because the human factor is shared.

For God's sake, be careful what u say.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
I never said i condone everything people write, but they are free people and should be able to write what they want no matter how, correct, wrong, brilliant, stupid (insert adjective here).

What about the following adjectives: murder-encouraging or insulting

Should we accept them?

Waterdrop

Banned

Salam,
So it's ok for u if some country's version of morality allows people to insult each other!!!

ABSOLUTLY and long as it does not violate their human rights.

If it's culturally agreeable in a country to rape and kill children, can we say "come on, it's just their version of morality".

See my last response...rape and murder is quite different from insults..sticks and stones..etc.

I agree with u morality is relative. But still there are shared moral values because the human factor is shared.

Again, with the exception of human rights these factors are all relative.

For God's sake, be careful what u say.

I don't need to be careful what I say. Since what i say is not wrong. or am I mistaken?