Nature or by Nurture?

dna1987

Muslim Guy
as for finding medication to "cure" homosexuals... that sounds like a disaster. Diagnosing and prescribing medication for mental health is just educated guess work - you keep guessing, prescribing a drug, and then changing it when you get no results or bad results. In many cases it does more harm than good. Giving medication to people to "cure" homosexuality sounds like it would damage people mentally and emotionally more than anything else.

Yes, I think a lot of psychiatry requires educated guesswork. But we wouldn't have it as part of the public health system if it weren't helpful. It actually helps people with certain mental disorders (eg, bipolar disorders). Otherwise, psychiatry would be bunched in with the "complementary/alternative medicine" group and would have to a privately practiced profession.

brother dna thanks for responding, however you didnt address the following

why do perfectly straight men and women become gay in prison? im not talking about rape but attraction to the same sex that many prisoners have reported. after being released some of them become straight again while others remain gay. what do you reckon? dont tell me they were born gay and discovered later in life, because clearly they were not.

I'm not sure. Perhaps humans want physical contact and not having anyone of the opposite gender leaves people with "no other option". In any case, this is the reasoning I've heard non-Muslims use to say Islamic societies in Saudi and Iran don't work, because males are only exposed to other males as they are growing up and their is actually a higher incidence of homosexual activity!! Yikes! They say gender segratation has the same affects as being in prison.

I already said though that I believe it can be due to both environmental causes and genetic/developmental causes. They don't rule each other out, it is possible to have both.

and cmon bro you provide % numbers of gays in Hamburg. The immigrants from muslim lands to germany may well be one of the main reasons for the reduction in the % of gays. id like to see the number of native gays expressed as a percentage of native populace of the city.

as far as the 'cure' goes i have no idea. However, changing the environment and self control should do good.
I definitely agree that changing the environment and increasing self-control should help.

Also, I feel that a lot of Christians (and a few Muslims) are against the genetic idea because they believe this means that being gay is natural and therefore "ok". Well, we shouldn't think that way. We know that it is a sin, we know that it is abnormal and we know that it is absolutely haram and forbidden. We also know the many negative health affects of sodomy and it is forbidden to all! (Even husbands and wives). If there is a genetic cause for some gay people, and evidence shows so far that there probably is, then that doesn't change the the fact it is haram, but rather what kind of treatment and counseling we can offer those seeking help.

Assalam alaikum.

arzafar

Yes, I think a lot of psychiatry requires educated guesswork. But we wouldn't have it as part of the public health system if it weren't helpful. It actually helps people with certain mental disorders (eg, bipolar disorders). Otherwise, psychiatry would be bunched in with the "complementary/alternative medicine" group and would have to a privately practiced profession.

I'm not sure. Perhaps humans want physical contact and not having anyone of the opposite gender leaves people with "no other option". In any case, this is the reasoning I've heard non-Muslims use to say Islamic societies in Saudi and Iran don't work, because males are only exposed to other males as they are growing up and their is actually a higher incidence of homosexual activity!! Yikes! They say gender segratation has the same affects as being in prison.

I already said though that I believe it can be due to both environmental causes and genetic/developmental causes. They don't rule each other out, it is possible to have both.

I definitely agree that changing the environment and increasing self-control should help.

Also, I feel that a lot of Christians (and a few Muslims) are against the genetic idea because they believe this means that being is natural and therefore "ok". Well, we shouldn't think that way. We know that it is a sin, we know that it is abnormal and we know that it is absolutely haram and forbidden. We also know the many negative health affects of sodomy and it is forbidden to all! (Even husbands and wives). If there is a genetic cause for some gay people, and evidence shows so far that there probably is, then that doesn't change the the fact it is haram, but rather what kind of treatment and counseling we can offer those seeking help.

Assalam alaikum.

ok good.

and just to add, im not amongst those mentioned in bold. I just havent found any real evidence that homosexuality or even sexual orientation is genetic. so id say that it's not genetic.