Need Some Clarification on Janazah rituals

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Salam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I hope you're all in the best state of health and iman.

Last week, I attended my grandfather's janazah. Naturally, my mother's family had come together during this time and spent much of it in ibaadah. However, I could not help but feel frustrated at times when it seemed as if much of their ibaadah was based on cultural practice rather than the actual sunnah. What was worse was that these practices were promoted by supposedly religious relatives of mine who adhere to (what they believe to be) a strictly Islamic lifestyle and believe they are already following the sunnah. Thus, they believe that they are much well-versed in the deen than many of us.

There have been times where I've tried voicing my thoughts to them. However, due to the fact that A. they are my elders and B. they are the majority, my attempts are usually dismissed as irrelevant. I usually try to base things on daleel and if I ever question them doing the same, I'm referred to as "disrespectful" "zealous" and "aggressive". While I do agree that a gentler approach is best, much of my frustration stemmed from the fact that my own grandfather was the one who was being targeted by these practices.

Of course, after hanging onto giving them the benefit of the doubt, I would like to request daleel on the following practices/ideas:

1. The idea that Ramadan is a blessed time to pass away in and that as a result, the questioning of the grave becomes super easy and so does attaining Jannah.

2. Reciting the Quran and "sending" the associated hasanat to a dead person. Is this a form of sadaqa al-jaariya?

3. Throwing rose petals on grave and stating that it's ok to do so as long as it doesn't cause the grave to resemble a shrine. I reiterate: they are already aware that graves should not be decorated but they believe that that only applies to embellished decorations such as those of shrines and grave worship.

4. Men standing at the grave and reciting Quran over it, specifically surahs like al-Mulk and Yasin.

5. The idea that a loved one can't touch or kiss the dead individual prior to janazah and burial because it "hurts them" in some way.

Any clarification provided would be much appreciated. JazakAllah khair.

Eman Yousuf

:salam:, These are mere tradition and bida'a , we find no dalail for this . When a person dies the mourning is only for 3 days of course for wife it is 4 month 10 days iddah period, in which she should not go out of her house where she lived with her husband, if she has to that will be only for emergency purposes. Our prophet asked his ummah(men) to visit grave inorder to remind oneself of death, and say salaam which the dead person hear and return the salaam which we can not hear. Lamenting loudly and crying saying he was this and that , cursing others for his death and not allowing his own children, wife to touch him is base less.

Regarding sending thawab to the dead there are many good deeds which one can do, so that it can benefit the others ,and from that benefit the dead persons hasanaat is increased,also making dua'a for him by his children also raises the status of the dead. Regarding putting flowers,petal that is totally waste of money and time,definitely there is no daleel for this. Reciting Quran thinking that it will help him in Qabr and his sins will be forgiven (because of the recitation) is all without any authentic sources.

Hope this will help you to some extent ,insha allah more replies will follow.:SMILY231:

wa salaam

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
I hope you're all in the best state of health and iman.

Last week, I attended my grandfather's janazah.
Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh, sister.

Inaa lillaahi wa inaa ilayhi raaji`oon. May Allaah `azza wa jalla have mercy on him and forgive his sins.
1. The idea that Ramadan is a blessed time to pass away in and that as a result, the questioning of the grave becomes super easy and so does attaining Jannah.
I've heard this from a few sisters as well and I looked and looked but could not find anything/fataawa that confirmed it. It's just a misinterpretation of the hadeeth about the gates of jahannam being closed and the gates of jannah being open. This issue is addressed here and bottom line, there's no evidence for it so it's not true. http://islamqa.com/en/ref/49759
There's this hadeeth though (it's mentioned in the link as well) that the prophet :saw: said: "Whoever says Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is no god but Allaah), seeking the Face of Allaah and that was his final action, will enter Paradise. Whoever fasts one day seeking the Face of Allaah and that was his final action, will enter Paradise. Whoever gives charity seeking the Face of Allaah and that was his final action will enter Paradise." So the 'blessing' is not in dying during Ramadhaan but dying while fasting for the sake of Allaah `azza wa jalla.
2. Reciting the Quran and "sending" the associated hasanat to a dead. person. Is this a form of sadaqa al-jaariya?
Shaykh `Abd ar-Rahmaan al-Barraak said about this:
Gathering to read Qur’aan and give the reward for that to the deceased is a bid’ah (reprehensible innovation), even if it is not done in return for any payment. If it is done in return for payment then it is haraam, because it is being done for a reason other than for the sake of Allaah, and any such action will not earn any reward. But if a person reads Qur’aan by himself and gives the reward for that to a relative or friend, without gathering with others for that purpose and without seeking payment, then there are two scholarly views in this case, one of which says that it is permissible and that the reward for the reading will reach the deceased.

The second view is that it is not prescribed to give the reward for the reading to anyone, because there is no evidence (daleel) to indicate that this is prescribed.
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/4910

3. Throwing rose petals on grave and stating that it's ok to do so as long as it doesn't cause the grave to resemble a shrine. I reiterate: they are already aware that graves should not be decorated but they believe that that only applies to embellished decorations such as those of shrines and grave worship.
I don't understand this mentality subhaanallaah. How will beautifying the grave benefit the dead?? It's not like they'll be able to see it anyway. But here's a simple answer given by shaykh al-Albaani (rahimahullaah):

"It is not prescribed in Islam to put “aas” leaves (a kind of tree) or fragrant herbs or roses on the grave, because this is not what the salaf did, and if it was good, they would have done it before us. Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: “Every bid’ah (innovation) is a going astray, even if the people think it is good.” (Narrated by Ibn Battah in al-Ibaanah ‘an Usool al-Diyaanah, 2/112; al-Laakaa’i in al-Sunnah, 1/21, a mawqoof report with a saheeh isnaad)."

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/14285
4. Men standing at the grave and reciting Quran over it, specifically surahs like al-Mulk and Yasin.
This seems to be a bid`ah, astaghfirullaah. Basically there are no reports that say the prophet :saw: had done it. And after his death, the saahaba also did not do this.
This question was posed to the standing committee for issuing fatwas and they said,
It is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to visit graves, and he would recite du’aa’s for the dead that he taught to his companions and they learned them from him. For example: Al-salaamu ‘alaykum ahl al-diyaar min al-mu’mineen wa’l-Muslimeen, wa inna in sha Allaah bikum laahiqoon, nas’al Allaaha lana wa lakum al-‘aafiyah (Peace be upon you, O people of the dwellings, believers and Muslims. If Allaah wills we will join you. We ask Allaah to grant us and you safety).”
But there is no report that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) recited a soorah of the Qur’aan or any verses thereof for the dead, even though he visited them often. If that had been prescribed, he would have done it and would have taught it to his companions, seeking the reward and out of mercy towards his ummah, and fulfilling the obligation to convey the message. For he was as Allaah described him (interpretation of the meaning):
“Verily, there has come unto you a Messenger (Muhammad) from amongst yourselves. It grieves him that you should receive any injury or difficulty. He (Muhammad) is anxious over you; for the believers (he is) full of pity, kind, and merciful”
[al-Tawbah 9:128]
The fact that he did not do that even though there were reasons why he might have done it indicates that it is not prescribed. His companions (may Allaah be pleased with them) knew that and followed in his footsteps, and they limited themselves to learning lessons and making du’aa’ for the dead when they visited them. There is no report that they read Qur’aan for the dead. For them such reading was an innovation (bid’ah), and it was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever introduces anything into this matter of ours [i.e., Islam] that is not part of it will have it rejected.” Agreed upon.
[Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa'imah 9/38]
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/36513

You should read this one, too, I think... very interesting. It's about reciting soorat Yaaseen over a dying person (not the dead) and all the different views on it:
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/72201
5. The idea that a loved one can't touch or kiss the dead individual prior to janazah and burial because it "hurts them" in some way.
People kissing and hugging their dead relatives? Is it for like, goodbye? But doesn't that lead to emotional outbursts/wailing? I haven't come across anything on this worth quoting though, maybe someone else can help out inshaa'Allaah.

I also wanted to share this quote by shaykh `abd al-`Azeez bin Baaz about social customs and the sharee`ah, he put it so well maashaa'Allaah.
What every Muslim must do is not accept customs blindly, rather he should measure them against sharee’ah. Whatever is approved of is permissible for him to do, otherwise he should not do it. The fact that people are accustomed to something is not evidence that it is permissible. All the customs that people are used to in their lands or tribes must be measured against the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Whatever Allaah and His Messenger have permitted is permissible, and whatever Allaah has forbidden must be abandoned, even if it is the people’s custom.
[Majmoo` al-Fataawa 6/510]

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraatuh,

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Raj'oon. May Allah widen his grave and forgive his sins. May Allah enter him into Al jannah.
We here are told not to touch "after" they are given the ghusl. It is said that it should be avoided to maintain their state of purity. I don't know if it has any basis in Islam. I don't know about this hurting thing except that their nails etc should not be clipped because the dead feel pain because of it. Again, I don't know if it's in our deen. I'm only sharing what our cultural practice say about the practices that are there in your family.

You can read the following link : http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?t=11559

From my understanding there is a problem with menstruating females touching the dead.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
JazakAllah khair for the replies, especially the ones with sources. They pretty much confirmed what I felt but when you're part of a significant minority, your word doesn't tend to carry much weight.

People kissing and hugging their dead relatives? Is it for like, goodbye? But doesn't that lead to emotional outbursts/wailing?

Yes, it's for purposes of simply saying one last goodbye to the departed.

No, it didn't lead to loud outbursts/wailing.

Still waiting for something on this. Sister Seeking, I read your link and am glad to have done so but as it pertains only to menstruating women, I would like to learn about general family members as well.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Still waiting for something on this. Sister Seeking, I read your link and am glad to have done so but as it pertains only to menstruating women, I would like to learn about general family members as well.
I'll confirm it later when I get time, but right now I'll share this:

I asked my mother if she ever came across this "no touch" part in her classes when she was studying Islamiyaat. She said no it's just a cultural practice that is encouraged and spread to prevent people from touching the dead bodies once they are coffined and cleaned and about to be carried away.

She also said that since the body has endured a lot of pain and stress as the soul departs, it is advised to be gentle with the body, thus the notion that they (the dead) feel pain. These are her thoughts on these practices. Cultural thoughts. I know they have no weight in the deen. It's just to share, why some cultural practices are there and encouraged by some.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
JazakAllah khair for that. I just need daleel on that last point and I'm all set before I "address the nation" with my proof.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
:salam:

Here's actually a more detailed answer by Bin Baaz rahimahullaah for question #2. http://islamqa.info/en/20996

As for the the not touching them and kissing them because it 'hurts' them, I could only find Arabic fataawa on them. This is from Shaykh Bin Baaz rahimahullaah's website.
هل يجوز تقبيل الميت؟
لا بأس بتقبيل الميت، إذا قبله أحد محارمه من النساء أو قبله أحد من الرجال كما فعل أبو بكر الصديق رضي الله عنه مع النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم.
مجموع فتاوى ومقالات متنوعة المجلد الثالث عشر
My Arabic is a little on the rusty side, but here's the gist of it: he was asked, is it permissible to kiss the dead? And he replied that there's nothing wrong with kissing the dead, if it's by a mahram from the women, or anyone from among the men as Abu bakar radiyallahu `anhu did with the prophet :saw:
http://www.binbaz.org.sa/mat/2535

There's a similar answer by shaykh `Abdul-`Azeez aal ash-shaykh here, but it's also in Arabic. He said it's allowed and also gave the same example as shaykh bin Baaz.

Also another one from shaykh zayd al-madkhalee.
He also said it's allowed to kiss them and gave the example of when the prophet :saw: kissed `Uthmaan ibn madh`oon radiyallahu `anhu after his death so there's nothing wrong with that and he also added that it's not allowed for a man to kiss a non-mahram female and vice versa.