No one Mentions This Ayah?

Idris16

60_9.png

It is only as regards those who fought against you on account of religion, and have driven you out of your homes, and helped to drive you out, that Allah forbids you to befriend them. And whosoever will befriend them, then such are the Zalimun (wrong-doers those who disobey Allah). [60:9]

Idris16

In the books of al-Wala wal-Bara. I dont see that ayah being quoted nor do I see any explanation of it.

Tomtom

Banned
* تفسير Tanwîr al-Miqbâs min Tafsîr Ibn ‘Abbâs
{ إِنَّمَا يَنْهَاكُمُ ٱللَّهُ عَنِ ٱلَّذِينَ قَاتَلُوكُمْ فِي ٱلدِّينِ وَأَخْرَجُوكُم مِّن دِيَارِكُمْ وَظَاهَرُواْ عَلَىٰ إِخْرَاجِكُمْ أَن تَوَلَّوْهُمْ وَمَن يَتَوَلَّهُمْ فَأُوْلَـٰئِكَ هُمُ ٱلظَّالِمُونَ }

(Allah forbideth you only those) He forbids you from having relations with those (who warred against you on account of religion) the people of Mecca (and have driven you out from your homes) Mecca (and helped to drive you out) from Mecca, (that you make friends of them) seeking their assistance and help. (Whosoever maketh friends of them) seeking their help and assistance ((All) such are wrong-doers) who harm themselves.

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Br. Tomtom, I think OP means this ayah is never mentioned in books of that explain the "Love and Hate for the sake of Allah". Just clarification of the question. I don't know the answer :)

OsMaN_93

Here to help
* تفسير Tanwîr al-Miqbâs min Tafsîr Ibn ‘Abbâs
{ إِنَّمَا يَنْهَاكُمُ ٱللَّهُ عَنِ ٱلَّذِينَ قَاتَلُوكُمْ فِي ٱلدِّينِ وَأَخْرَجُوكُم مِّن دِيَارِكُمْ وَظَاهَرُواْ عَلَىٰ إِخْرَاجِكُمْ أَن تَوَلَّوْهُمْ وَمَن يَتَوَلَّهُمْ فَأُوْلَـٰئِكَ هُمُ ٱلظَّالِمُونَ }

(Allah forbideth you only those) He forbids you from having relations with those (who warred against you on account of religion) the people of Mecca (and have driven you out from your homes) Mecca (and helped to drive you out) from Mecca, (that you make friends of them) seeking their assistance and help. (Whosoever maketh friends of them) seeking their help and assistance ((All) such are wrong-doers) who harm themselves.
Thank God for that explanation, all my best friends are non-Muslims! I'd hate to ditch them and be a loner...

Idris16

^
We need further explanations!

The Prophet :saw: said: “Do not be friends with anyone but the believer and do not let anyone eat your food but one who is pious.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2395); classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

The Prophet :saw: said: “A man will follow the religion of his close friend, so let each of you look to who he takes a close friend.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2378; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 1937

OsMaN_93

Here to help
^

The Prophet :saw: said: “Do not be friends with anyone but the believer and do not let anyone eat your food but one who is pious.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2395); classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

The Prophet :saw: said: “A man will follow the religion of his close friend, so let each of you look to who he takes a close friend.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2378; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 1937
I'm going to choose to ignore this and agree with the opposing opinion on this matter...

Tomtom

Banned
^

Yes, indeed but I wonder if that has anything to do with the Muslims of today being friends with them and becoming like them?

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Yes, indeed but I wonder if that has anything to do with the Muslims of today being friends with them and becoming like them?

Well in my logic the Prophet (PBUH) took a Christian king as a friend (and a protector) back in his time, so that justifies it for me. Besides those hadiths must be speaking of when the Muslims were at war. I'm also (sort of) doing dawah because I tell them that I dont drink alcohol or eat pork and other stuff, so I'm teaching them about Islam....

edit: woops wrong quote. Here we go:
idris16 said:
edit #2: I agree with Tomtom, if you don't follow their ways then it must be okay

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

I see. . .

A couple of TTI Shuyookh busy in understanding the Qur'an and Hadith, based on their own logic and understanding. Shouldn't you guys do what OP is doing? Look for a scholarly opinion and not what makes sense and looks perfect to us

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
salam aleikum wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh

I wonder if anyone alse feels like this: i tryed to keep one friend from since i was not muslim, just one, but even with her i dont feel so comfortable anymore, not to mention others that i never spoked with them,

This because i have prayer times that may be when we meet, she does not, so we have different scheduals...she may say something about music, i dont listen music, she brought me cakes and this was nice, but i dont know what exactly she puts in them, sends me happy birthday but i dont celebrate it....and so on...i hope that inchallah i dont do anything wrong, but i feel in my heart that it just can be a good friendship when we are so different...instead i have a revert friend and i feel is a blessing when we get some time togheter, alhamdullilah...

:salam2:

Parvaiz

How weak are we Muslims in faith.It saddens me ,we simply cannot follow the prophet blindly we will need to compulsory use our logic in it no matter what.Even if we get hadith we still try to use it when it fits our needs or else just ignore it simple as that.
O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them… “[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

“O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e. disbelievers and polytheists) as friends, showing affection towards them” [al-Mumtahanah 60:1

Every hadith and ayah applies till the day of judgement unless prophet Muhammad has mentioned that it was for that time only or else scholars have told us.Its not about friendship etc its about what your lord and his messenger is saying, they know more than you can ever know.One day you will say ok its fine to just chat ,next day its fine to celebrate his birthday,third day its fine to go with him celebrating new year,fifth day its fine to wish him merry christmas,and the chapter will go on unless you will fall into the devil trap.In business its only business talk no friendship etc.

Its not about being close minded as some may say its about following what the Allah says and his Messenger says no matter how extreme it may sound.
Rest Allah and his Messenger know the best.

kalamazoo

'Millat "IBRAHIM" {AleyhiSalaam}
Sub'hana LLAH

I wonder if anyone alse feels like this: i tryed to keep one friend from since i was not muslim, just one, but even with her i dont feel so comfortable anymore, not to mention others that i never spoked with them,

This because i have prayer times that may be when we meet, she does not, so we have different scheduals...she may say something about music, i dont listen music, she brought me cakes and this was nice, but i dont know what exactly she puts in them, sends me happy birthday but i dont celebrate it....and so on...i hope that inchallah i dont do anything wrong, but i feel in my heart that it just can be a good friendship when we are so different...instead i have a revert friend and i feel is a blessing when we get some time togheter, alhamdullilah...

إِنَّمَا يَنْهَاكُمُ اللَّهُ عَنِ الَّذِينَ قَاتَلُوكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ وَأَخْرَجُوكُمْ مِنْ دِيَارِكُمْ وَظَاهَرُوا عَلَى إِخْرَاجِكُمْ أَنْ تَوَلَّوْهُمْ وَمَنْ يَتَوَلَّهُمْ فَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ ﴿60:9

(60:9)

Allah only forbids you to be friends with those who have fought against you on account of religion and who have driven you out of your homes and have abetted in your expulsion. And any who make friends with them, they are the wrong-doers. *13

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The instructions to sever relations with the disbelievers given in the preceding verses, could cause the people the misunderstanding that this was because of their being the disbelievers.

Therefore, in these verses it has been made clear that its actual cause is not their disbelief but their hostility to Islam and their tyrannical treatment of the followers of Islam.

The Muslims, therefore, should distinguish between the hostile disbeliever and the non-hostile disbeliever, and should treat those disbelievers well who have never treated them evilly.

Its best explanation is the incident that took place between Hadrat Asma', daughter of Abu Bakr, and her disbelieving mother. A wife of Hadrat Abu Bakr's was Qutaylah bint 'Abdul `Uzza, who wax a disbeliever and had remained behind in Makkah after the migration. Hadrat Asma' had been born of her.

After the peace treaty of Hudaibiyah when the traffic opened between Makkah and Madinah, she came to Madinah to see her daughter and also brought some gifts. Hadrat Asma' herself has related that she went to the Holy Prophet and asked:

"Should I see my mother?
And can I~~~
~~~ treat her as a daughter should treat her mother?"

The Holy Prophet replied: "Yes, treat her as your mother. "
(Musnad Ahmad, Bukhari, Muslim).
Hadrat Asma's son, 'Abdullah bin Zubair, has given further details of this incident.

He says that Hadrat Asma' in the beginning had refused to see her mother.

Then, when she received Allah and His Messenger's permission she met her.

(Musnad Ahmad, Ibn Jarir, Ibn Abi Hatim).

This by itself leads to the conclusion that a Muslim's serving his unbelieving parents and his helping his unbelieving brothers and sisters and relatives is permissible when they are not hostile to Islam;

Likewise one can spend one s charities also on the indigent among the dhimmis (Al-Jassas, Ahkam al-Qur'an; Ruh al-Ma ani)

:::::::
so hajjer (my sister in Islam)

keep your friend and accept gift, by returning good deeds and Praying Allah, as to show your friend the Truth and be together.
"What a great axe will it BE"

"wa maa aleyna Ilaa L'Balaagh"

http://www.tafheem.net/tafheem.html

Idris16

Wa `Alaykum al-Salam Warahmatullah Wabarakatuh

Many Muslims who strive must feel like you felt. It must be hard to be with a non-Muslim when you do many things that they don't do, for example praying Salat.

Be with your Muslim friend. And thank Allaah for it.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
...This by itself leads to the conclusion that a Muslim's serving his unbelieving parents and his helping his unbelieving brothers and sisters and relatives is permissible when they are not hostile to Islam;

Likewise one can spend one s charities also on the indigent among the dhimmis (Al-Jassas, Ahkam al-Qur'an; Ruh al-Ma ani)

:::::::
so hajjer (my sister in Islam)

keep your friend and accept gift, by returning good deeds and Praying Allah, as to show your friend the Truth and be together.
"What a great axe will it BE"

"wa maa aleyna Ilaa L'Balaagh"

http://www.tafheem.net/tafheem.html

Sounds good to me, jazak Allah khair for sharing that...

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Also, to the bros/sisters who were indirectly addressing me in their posts (above). Thanks, Inshallah I will reflect on what you said.

I'm completely genuine, and am not being sarcastic at all (if it may sound like so) :)

samiha

---------
Staff member
Well in my logic the Prophet (PBUH) took a Christian king as a friend (and a protector) back in his time, so that justifies it for me. Besides those hadiths must be speaking of when the Muslims were at war. I'm also (sort of) doing dawah because I tell them that I dont drink alcohol or eat pork and other stuff, so I'm teaching them about Islam....

Brother, where is your evidence (i.e. which scholar has said) that the Messenger of Allaah 'alayhi salaatu wa salaam ever took a Christian king as his friend?

If you are referring to An-Najaashi, the Abyssinian king, how would it be possible that he would have been a 'friend' to Rasulullah 'alayhi salaatu wa salaam, when he'd never even met him? Not to mention, it's well accepted that An-Najaashi became a Muslim before he died - yet since he didn't meet the messenger of Allaah 'alayhi salaatu wa salaam, is considered by some to be a Tabi'iee even though he lived at that time in which he :saw2: was alive.

So it's an irrelevant example I'm afraid. And he :saw2: allowed his companions to take refuge there away from the torture and fitan because the king was known to be just and would allow them to practice their Deen - not to go and make friends and assimilate with the king and his culture. There was a need and a necessity to save from harm and persecution, so it was allowed.

And da'wah is not only by action, but by holding Islaam highest in your heart and proclaiming it as true and calling others to its truth. Look at the words of Ja'far radiAllaahu anhu to an-Najaashi:
Umm Salamah may Allaah be pleased with her said that Ja‘far bin Abi Taalib may Allaah be pleased with him spoke to him, saying
O king! We were a people in a state of ignorance and immorality; worshipping idols and eating the flesh of dead animals; committing all sorts of abominations and shameful deeds; severing ties of kinship and treating neighbors badly, and the strong among us exploited the weak. We remained in this state until Allaah The Almighty sent us a prophet: one of our own people whose lineage, truthfulness, trustworthiness and integrity was well-known to us.

He called us to worship Allaah The Almighty alone, and to renounce the stones and the idols which we and our ancestors would worship besides Him. He commanded us to speak the truth, to keep our trusts, to maintain relations of kinship, to assist our neighbors, to cease all forbidden acts, to abstain from bloodshed, to avoid obscenities and perjury, not to appropriate the property of orphans, and not to slander chaste women. He ordered us to worship Allaah The Almighty alone and not to associate anything with Him, to uphold prayer, to give Zakaah [obligatory charity] and to fast.

Umm Salamah may Allaah be pleased with her said that Ja‘far may Allaah be pleased with him listed to An-Najaashi what Islam calls for, then he said
We have believed in him and what he brought to us from Allaah The Almighty, and we follow him in what he has asked us to do and we keep away from what he forbade us from doing. Thereupon, our people attacked us, inflicted the severest punishment on us to make us renounce our religion, and take us back to the old immorality and the worship of idols. They oppressed us, made life intolerable for us and obstructed us from observing our religion. So we left for your country, choosing you before anyone else, desiring your protection, and hoping to live in justice and peace in your land. [Musnad Ahmad]

An-Najaashi asked, “Do you have with you something of what your Prophet has brought from Allaah?”

“Yes,” replied Ja’far may Allaah be pleased with him. An-Najaashi asked him to read it to him. Ja‘far may Allaah be pleased with him read to him the opening of the chapter entitled Soorah Maryam. On hearing the words of the Quran, An-Najaashi cried until his beard was soaked as did his bishops, such that they even soaked their scriptures.

Rest of the story: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=articles&id=154593

Now that is some Da'wah. And I'm not trying to put you down in any way brother, but that was how openly they professed their faith - and being active friends with non-Muslims, or even best friends like you mentioned, I'm sure you know, even better than I, how much you compromise when you're with them.

edit #2: I agree with Tomtom, if you don't follow their ways then it must be okay

How much can you say you aren't following or adopting any of their ways? It's a common understood principle, that peer pressure exists, and that peer groups develop due to certain traits of conformity or similarity which exists. Nobody is advocating being 'mean' but being 'friends' is a different class which one assigns, and it's hard to keep the lines clear and the barriers correct on the long run. It might be fine for now - then you find yourself accepting one thing, then another, and subhanAllaah in the end... some of the stories I've heard are so heartbreaking, it it all started with the wrong type of friends that don't hold the same values and beliefs.

I trust your sincerity brother, so please take care of yourself and reflect about the ayaat and I believe you'll understand if you think about it.

May Allaah aid us all - trust me, I believe we've all had our shares of lonely days and that's just something that comes with taking on Islaam sometimes, but this Dunya is so temporary - if we attach our hearts to the aakhirah and keep our love and role models to those who follow/ed Islaam, then in Jannah they will be our companions insha'Allaah, and what better companions are there to exist? :)

saifkhan

abd-Allah

As salam 'alaykum

I know sister, today's social system is not designed for us, Muslims. specially in non muslim countries, i can easily understand how hard it could be for our brothers and sisters.

I can jump at my muslim brothers' place, to a musallah (mosque, merely just praying room, because the big mosque is closed, only widely open in friday) to pass time. so I can understand, how hard it could be for a muslim sister, to get involved in Islamic environment and discussion, practices. subhan Allah. Isbir ya ukht, just have patience. Indeed Allah will not burden His slaves with what he/she can't bear.

[yt]WJi_y5KdPds[/yt]

to All:

I don't know about other societies or culture, but where i live, it is quite impossible to have a friend here, now it comes actually what is friend means then!

if it is just class mate, hi hello friends, sharing study materials and exchanging emails, then i have. at best may be having a cup of tea or coffee at best with same gender.

but for other things, hamdu li Allah i don't have any. and i don't want even.
because here i've got class mates from every country of Europe and for them friendship is partying, clubbing, pubbing and drinking even it is a normal meeting. and discussion, audhubillah, the main topic of boys discussion is either girls or who had whom last week or night, and whose next and alcohol and bashing other cultures. [this doesn't mean that i had conversation like this, but i can hear those when i'm sitting]

and i don't want to disclose other things, because not only they are sick to tell, but also to imagine even. and seriously they know no bounds.

whenever, i think about them (kuffar in general) i don;t know whether i should feel pity for them or should get angry because of the violation of God's law. but very frequently I thank Allah that He has blessed me with Islam, alhamdu li Allah. Alhamdu li Allah, alf marrah.

that's why i neither go with them, not in anytime [truly speaking, i don't go to lectures even, only for exams and others needs, mandatory things], friendship is far. nor i bash them as long as they are not at me to bash me or my deen.

wa-llahu a'lam

these days, even hard to maintain muslim friends, and we are discussing about non-muslim friends, subhan Allah

no offence to anyone, just i was explaining my side, because, very few people are here with whom i can share and continue my discussion beyond greetings, it is about level of thinking and manner.

may Allah help us to understand His religion for the betterment of ours, in the dunya and the akhirah

wassamanun 'alayka

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Also, to the bros/sisters who were indirectly addressing me in their posts (above). Thanks, Inshallah I will reflect on what you said.

I'm completely genuine, and am not being sarcastic at all (if it may sound like so) :)

It was directed at you brother and the Brother you decided to agree with, directly, I just didn't felt like quoting you guys so I quickreplied..

Anytime. You sound fine.

BaraakAllaah feek!