nadirah19

Asalam walikum,
A friend of mine wants to know 'if playing Monopoly is Haram?'
Also, which games are permissible in Islam

Jazak Allah khair,

Wasalam.

M

Moadeeb

Unfortunately, people are told that a lot of things are haram so they start thinking that everything is haram. They start saying that music is haram, acting, tv, soccer ...etc.The general rule would be that everything is Halal unless Islam says it is Haram.

Thanks

Moadeeb

Steve940

:salam2:

They start saying that music is haram, acting, tv, soccer ...etc.

Music is haram, there is enough evidence in Sunnah to prove this. TV is so clearly wrong when you look at it. It doesn't matter what channel you're watching, if you look at any channel for 15 minutes, the odds are you will see uncovered women, listen to music, and hear dozens of advertisements telling you that you need the newest car, cellphone, television, or things of the sort.

I'm not going to speak about acting or soccer because I don't have enough knowledge about them but if you use search feature you can probably find enough. This goes for music and television as well.

:wasalam:

M

Moadeeb

Music is haram, there is enough evidence in Sunnah to prove this. TV is so clearly wrong when you look at it. It doesn't matter what channel you're watching, if you look at any channel for 15 minutes, the odds are you will see uncovered women, listen to music, and hear dozens of advertisements telling you that you need the newest car, cellphone, television, or things of the sort.

I'm not going to speak about acting or soccer because I don't have enough knowledge about them but if you use search feature you can probably find enough. This goes for music and television as well.

Dear brother,

Please don't play the role of a scholar. If you want to know about the two opinions about music or tv or whatever, just search the forum for them.We have had enough confusion about theses topics.

Salam

Moadeeb

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member

please brothers do not talk again about music please!!!!!It's getting annoying!
Anyway, here is a fatwa of Shaikh Ibn Baz about the "playing" story.
It will help sister nadirah19 insh'Allah!

Spending time watching movies and soap operas and playing games in Ramadaan

Question:
Some fasting people spend most of the day in Ramadaan watching movies and soap operas on videos and TVs, and playing cards. What is the ruling on that?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Muslims, whether they are fasting or not, should fear Allaah with regard to what they are doing and not doing at all times. They must avoid that which Allaah has forbidden, namely watching obscene movies which show things that Allaah has forbidden such as naked and semi-naked pictures, or reprehensible programs, or things which appear on TV that go against the laws of Allaah, such as images, singing, musical instruments and misleading ideas. Every Muslim, whether he is fasting or not, must avoid playing with cards and other kinds of games, because that involves witnessing evil and doing wrong, and because it also causes hardness and disease in the heart, makes a person take the laws of Allaah lightly and makes him find it too difficult to do the things that Allaah has enjoined, such as praying in congregation and other obligations, and makes him fall into doing many haraam things. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allaah, or the Verses of the Qur’aan) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire).

And when Our Verses (of the Qur’aan) are recited to such a one, he turns away in pride, as if he heard them not — as if there were deafness in his ear. So announce to him a painful torment”[Luqmaan 31:6-7]

And He says in Soorat al-Furqaan, describing the slaves of the Most Merciful (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who do not bear witness to falsehood, and if they pass by some evil play or evil talk, they pass by it with dignity”[al-Furqaan 25:72]

Falsehood (al-zoor) includes all kinds of evil, and the phrase “do not bear witness” means that they do not attend where these things are happening.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There will be among my ummah people who will permit adultery, silk, alcohol and musical instruments.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh in a mu’allaq majzoom report). What is meant by adultery is illegal sexual relations, and musical instruments include singing. Allaah has forbidden to the Muslims all means that lead to haraam things, and undoubtedly watching bad movies and the evils that are shown on TV are among the means that lead to haraam things or lead one to take such matters lightly without denouncing them. And Allaah is the One Whose help we seek.

Shaikh ibn Baz vol 4/p/158

M

Moadeeb

please brothers do not talk again about music please!!!!!It's getting annoying!
Anyway, here is a fatwa of Shaikh Ibn Baz about the "playing" story.
It will help sister nadirah19 insh'Allah!

Spending time watching movies and soap operas and playing games in Ramadaan

Question:
Some fasting people spend most of the day in Ramadaan watching movies and soap operas on videos and TVs, and playing cards. What is the ruling on that?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Muslims, whether they are fasting or not, should fear Allaah with regard to what they are doing and not doing at all times. They must avoid that which Allaah has forbidden, namely watching obscene movies which show things that Allaah has forbidden such as naked and semi-naked pictures, or reprehensible programs, or things which appear on TV that go against the laws of Allaah, such as images, singing, musical instruments and misleading ideas. Every Muslim, whether he is fasting or not, must avoid playing with cards and other kinds of games, because that involves witnessing evil and doing wrong, and because it also causes hardness and disease in the heart, makes a person take the laws of Allaah lightly and makes him find it too difficult to do the things that Allaah has enjoined, such as praying in congregation and other obligations, and makes him fall into doing many haraam things. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allaah, or the Verses of the Qur’aan) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire).

And when Our Verses (of the Qur’aan) are recited to such a one, he turns away in pride, as if he heard them not — as if there were deafness in his ear. So announce to him a painful torment”[Luqmaan 31:6-7]

And He says in Soorat al-Furqaan, describing the slaves of the Most Merciful (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who do not bear witness to falsehood, and if they pass by some evil play or evil talk, they pass by it with dignity”[al-Furqaan 25:72]

Falsehood (al-zoor) includes all kinds of evil, and the phrase “do not bear witness” means that they do not attend where these things are happening.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There will be among my ummah people who will permit adultery, silk, alcohol and musical instruments.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh in a mu’allaq majzoom report). What is meant by adultery is illegal sexual relations, and musical instruments include singing. Allaah has forbidden to the Muslims all means that lead to haraam things, and undoubtedly watching bad movies and the evils that are shown on TV are among the means that lead to haraam things or lead one to take such matters lightly without denouncing them. And Allaah is the One Whose help we seek.

Shaikh ibn Baz vol 4/p/158

Sister Ukht1,

What is meant by images being forbidden? Also, about singing, isn't it that good singing is ok but unislamic singing is not? which I think is what the Sheikh meant. However, the strange thing is that it is mentioned that musical instruments include singing, how is that? Please elaborate by explanation or by using a more elaborate fatwa.

:jazaak:

Salam

Moadeeb

M

Moadeeb

You started it.

As for that question sis Nadirah19, Insha Allaah someone would be able to give us a reliable answer with supporting authentic evidence.

Please refer to the forum to know how really started the confusion by taking sides and being intolerant regarding opinions of scholars. You really didn't have to bring up that issue. I don't have to be attacked every time I post something.

:jazaak:

Salam

Moadeeb

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

I'm sorry sister Nadirah19, this thread needs to be closed. If anyone has any info about the ruling on Monopoly please make a new thread and post it for our dear sister Nadirah19 and the other users. Jazakallaahu Khayr.

Wa alaikumussalaam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Any game which includes dice is forbidden, among which is monopoly.

Abu Dawood (4938) narrated from Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Whoever plays dice has disobeyed Allaah and His Messenger.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 4129)

Muslim (2260) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Whoever plays dice is like one who has dipped his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig.”

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “This hadeeth is quoted as evidence by al-Shaafa’i and the majority of scholars to prove that playing dice is haraam. The phrase ‘dipped his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig’ refers to eating it, and this simile is used to show that this is haraam because it is haraam to eat that.”

Status
Not open for further replies.