Praying Behind The Imam

Keen4Deen

:salam2:

I have a question about reciting surah fatihah behind the imam. I know that you are supposed to recite surah fatihah even when you are praying behind the iamam but sometimes when we read silently in dhur/asr/ the last raka of maghrib and last two raka of isha.

Sometimes I don't finish and the imam goes into rukoo. Or when the imam goes into rukoo i rush my recitation just to catch up. Do I finish reciting fatihah even though I wont be in unison with the imam or do I go down when the imam does. I read somewhere that when the imam does an action you have to do it after him, regardless and if you are somewhat like 2 steps behind the imam you become sinful. What do I do in this situation?

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

I have a question about reciting surah fatihah behind the imam. I know that you are supposed to recite surah fatihah even when you are praying behind the iamam but sometimes when we read silently in dhur/asr/ the last raka of maghrib and last two raka of isha.

Sometimes I don't finish and the imam goes into rukoo. Or when the imam goes into rukoo i rush my recitation just to catch up. Do I finish reciting fatihah even though I wont be in unison with the imam or do I go down when the imam does. I read somewhere that when the imam does an action you have to do it after him, regardless and if you are somewhat like 2 steps behind the imam you become sinful. What do I do in this situation?

I just continue reciting my Fatiha in my head as I continue into the next action.

But I am no expert. Take that for what it's worth.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

In this particular situation you should quickly try to finish Soorah al-Faatihah. Generally, when you pray behind a specific Imaam all the time/ usually then you would know at what pace he recites al-Faatihah.

But, bear in mind, that if you fear that the Imaam will raise up from Rukoo` (bowing) before you finish al-Faatihah- then it is upon you to go into rukoo` without completing al-Faatihah and there is nothing wrong in that.

wAllaahu a`lam
Wassalaamu `alaykum

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

I just continue reciting my Fatiha in my head as I continue into the next action.

But I am no expert. Take that for what it's worth.

Akhee, just so that you know- If you recite al-Faatihah in 'your head' or any other adhkaar then this is not considered recitation. The tongue HAS to move for it to be considered a recitation. I don't know if you meant by "in my head" to mean that you read it in your mind and not on your tongue- then this is considered 'pondering/reflecting' rather than recitation. Below is a fatwa from IslamQA regarding this issue.

With regards to the adhkaar which are spoken on the tongue, such as reciting Qur’aan, saying tasbeeh (Subhaan Allaah – glory be to Allaah), tahmeed (al-hamdu Lillaah – praise be to Allaah) and tahleel (Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah – there is no god but Allaah), and the dhikrs to be recited in the morning and evening, when going to sleep, when entering the washroom, and so on, it is essential to move the tongue, and a person is not regarded as having said them if he does not move his tongue.

Ibn Rushd narrated in al-Bayaan wa’l-Tahseel (1/490) that Imam Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about a person who recites when praying, but no one can hear him, not even himself, and he does not move his tongue. He said: “This is not recitation, rather recitation is that in which the tongue moves.” End quote.

Al-Kasaani said in Badaa’i’ al-Sanaa’i’ (4/118)

Recitation can only be done by moving the tongue to say the sounds. Do you not see that if a worshipper who is able to recite does not move his tongue, his prayer is not acceptable? Similarly he swears that he does not recite a soorah from the Qur’aan but he looks at it and understands it but he does not move his tongue, then he is not breaking his oath. End quote. i.e. because he has not recited it, rather he has only looked at it.

This is also indicated by the fact that the scholars said it is not allowed for a person who is junub to recite Qur’aan with his tongue, but they said it is permissible for him to look at the Mus-haf and recite Qur’aan in his heart, without moving his tongue. This indicates that there is a difference between the two things, and that not moving the tongue is not counted as reading or reciting.

See al-Majmoo’, 1/187-189

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: Is it obligatory to move the tongue when reciting Qur’aan in prayer or is it sufficient to say it in one's heart?

He replied:

Recitation must be done with the tongue. If a person recites it in his heart when he is praying, that is not sufficient. The same applies to all other adhkaar; it is not sufficient to recite them in one's heart, rather it is essential to move one's tongue and lips, because they are words to be spoken, and that can only be achieved by moving the tongue and the lips. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 13/156

And Allaah knows best.

masihuddin

According to Hanafi fiqah the muqtadi is not required to recite Surah fateha behind the imam and the recitation by the imam is on behalf of all his muqtadies who are offering prayers behind him including Zuhur,Asr .In fact if a person joins the Jamat while it is in ruku and if he recites the tasbeeh even once before the imam rises from ruku then his rakat is considered valid

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

Akhee, just so that you know- If you recite al-Faatihah in 'your head' or any other adhkaar then this is not considered recitation. The tongue HAS to move for it to be considered a recitation. I don't know if you meant by "in my head" to mean that you read it in your mind and not on your tongue- then this is considered 'pondering/reflecting' rather than recitation. Below is a fatwa from IslamQA regarding this issue.

OK, that I did not know. At home I usually do recite it out loud or at least in an audible whisper. At the masjid I just say it in my head along with the imam. I did not know that it HAD to be recited aloud. I will remember that from now on.

Abu Ameerah

Post Deleted

I wonder why my post have been deleted from this thread? did I say something wrong? or is this only for American, not for Filipino living in Saudi Arabia? WHY?

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

OK, that I did not know. At home I usually do recite it out loud or at least in an audible whisper. At the masjid I just say it in my head along with the imam. I did not know that it HAD to be recited aloud. I will remember that from now on.

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatulaah

Do remember: Loud does not mean that the person next you can hear it. Rather it means that your tongue and lips move and you can hear yourself.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I wonder why my post have been deleted from this thread? did I say something wrong? or is this only for American, not for Filipino living in Saudi Arabia? WHY?

:salam2: brother,

I checked the moderation on this thread and no one's post has been deleted or edited. So that must have been an error. Perhaps you can type and submit your post again.

Also, TTI is for everyone Alhamdulillah who is sincere about learning and increasing his/her knowledge about Islam. We do not have any policy to discriminate against a person of any nationality. If you have had a negative experience on TTI, please make sure you notify the moderators and we will try to take necessary action.

Hope you have a pleasant time on TTI. *smile*

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi