Praying on wedding day?

HappyMuslimah

Exams:Duas please!
:salam2:

So.... it's summer and therefore wedding galore! I was just curious as to how the bride/groom read namaaz on the wedding day, its usually hectic! Any of you brothers sneak out during the day or was it just impossible? Any sisters take off your entire outfit (and makeup?) to read namaaz?

I can't imagine a bride/groomm having time to read it on the day. But then again, it might be considered a bad omen to begin married life by skipping prayers?

Gernada1492

A Muslim
obligatory shud never be missed it on any cost while there are a few mustahab prayer which may or may not be prayed before they both get together in night..

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum,

may Allaah give blessed marriage to all who just got married and may Allaah bless them with happiness ! ameen

I dont know how it is in your area, but most wedding here start at around 11pm when all prayers are finished. I dont know about the bride and groom, Allaah knows their condition, but most of those who attend probably prayed all five prayers when they're at the wedding. I know it's hectic though, because you might be getting ready...you know. especially if you're a girl. hehe subhanaAllaah, trying to have the perfect outfit and stuff. But if the wedding is Islmic....it's WAY easier...alhamdulillaah!

HappyMuslimah

Assalaamu alaikum,

I dont know how it is in your area, but most wedding here start at around 11pm when all prayers are finished. I dont know about the bride and groom, Allaah knows their condition, but most of those who attend probably prayed all five prayers when they're at the wedding. !

ah, for us, weddings usually start in the afternoon (about 1 pm) and continue all night...

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa `alaykkum salaam wa rahmatullaah

May Allaah have mercy on you, and elevate your status in this dunya and aakhira. Aameen

Sister you must know, and may Allaah increase you in knowledge, that it is obligatory on every muslim to pray every salaah no matter what the situation is. Even if you are in an operation then you will have to pray (by making it up after the operation). Even if your limbs are permanently paralysed, then you still have to pray (by either sitting if you are able to, and if your not able to, then you will have to pray lying on your side). So whatever the case, you will have to pray your Prayers. This is importance of salaah, and there was an agreement among the sahaabah that leaving out Salaah is Kufr, and may Allaah keep us away from Kufr

Also I would like to point out something about belief in omens/superstitions/luck etc, that this is Minor Shirk.

Allaah Subhaanah says: "Verily, their evil omens are with Allah but most of them know not."[Soorah al-A`raaf, Verse:131]

Allaah says in [Soorah Yaa Seen, Verse:19]: "They (Messengers) said: "Your evil omens be with you! (Do you call it "evil omen") because you are admonished? Nay, but you are a people Musrifoon (transgressing all bounds by committing all kinds of great sins, and by disobeying Allah).

Meaning when something bad happens people say this is because of such and such

And Allaah refutes this statement: "And if some good reaches them, they say, "This is from Allah,'' but if some evil befalls them, they say, "This is from you.'' Say: "All things are from Allah,'' so what is wrong with these people that they fail to understand any word" [Soorah An Nisaa', Verse: 78]

Narrated Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) that Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said: "(There is) no 'Adwa (contagion of disease without Allah's Permission), nor is At-Tiyarah (any bad omen), nor is there any Hamah (the omen of the night bird i.e., owl), nor is there (any bad omen in the month of) Safar."

In Muslim's Sahih the following words are added: "... and no Naw' (constellation) and no Ghul (ghost etc.)"

It is narrated from Ibn Mas'ud (May Allah be pleased with him) in a Marfu` Hadith: "At-Tiyarah is Shirk, At-Tiyarah is Shirk. There is none among us who does not feel something in his heart about At-Tiyarah. But Allah, due to deep trust in Him, removes it." [This Hadith was reported by At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud.] and it is stated that its last part is the statement of Ibn Mas'ud. Ahmad reported from Ibn 'Amr the following Hadith: "Whoever is turned back by At-Tiyarah (bad omens) has committed Shirk" They asked, "What makes the atonement for such a sin?" The Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) answered, "To say: 'O Lord, there is no good except the
good which You bestow. There is no evil except the evil which You decree. And there is no true God except You.' " [This narration was classified as Saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaanee rahimahullaah]

Imam Ahmad (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Muhammad bin Ja'far narrated from Auf, from Haiyan bin Al- `Ala', from Qatan bin Qabisah, from his father that he heard the Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) say: "Verily, Al-'lyafah (letting birds fly to foretell events) and At-Tarq (drawing lines on earth to predict events) and At-Tiyarah (taking sight on some object as a bad omen) are Al-Jibt (sorceries/magic)." `Auf (May Allah be pleased with him) said, "Al- 'lyafah is letting a bird's flight foretell events while At-Tarq is drawing line on earth." Hasan al Basri (May Allah be pleased with him) said, "Al- Jibt is the scream of Satan (devil)." The above Hadith has been narrated through good chain of narrators and collected by Abu Dawud, An-Nasa'i and Ibn Hibban.

Also Ibn Muflih, Ash Shawkaani and others said that its chain is Hasan

Thus it is befitting for a believer that he puts his trust in Allaah, and that he firmly believes all good and bad come from Allaah.

Wa salaamu `alaykkum

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I think at this point..the question should be..

*Is it that urgent to attend an event that will make me miss Allah's commands?!*

After reviewing your duty of accepting your brother's/sister's invitation to his/her wedding according to the Sunnah..you need to consider what kind of environment will this wedding entail..will there be mixing of genders?..music?..dancing?..smoking?..etc. etc.???

Then..you have to sit down and review things all over again based on what you accumulate about that environment (it does *not* harm to ask the person inviting you questions!)..and trust me..if you were being honest with Allah and your nafs..you'll see a decision unfold right before your eyes..upon which you will hardly have to worry about missing a prayer..being dressed improperly..or hearing and seeing that which displeases Allah

I think you should try this approach..and see where it takes you :)

P.S. brother thariq2005 put a wonderful post about omens right above my post..which I think you should read carefully again and again :)

:wasalam:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Actually sister HappyMuslimah, you raise an important point here. Being from the indian subcontinent, I know how elaborate our wedding ceremonies are. They usually take place at a special wedding hall with lots of traditions involved, that elongate the wedding ceremony for no apparent reason.

I had the good fortune of attending a wedding (Nikah) here in Texas that was held at our mosque. It was between Zohr and Asr I think. They were done with all the formalities and celebrations in about just over an hour. Therefore, everyone including the groom prayed in congregation, both the Zohr and Asr prayers. After Asr, the groom took us all out to a restaurant and that was the 'waleemah'. Hence, we were back in time to the masjid for Maghrib as well.

Unfortunately in my culture, the bride & groom have to look their very best on the wedding day. So it takes over an hour just to get dressed, including the near relatives. Then the bride's family have to go make arrangements at the wedding hall and there is a long wait for the groom to come in a car (or a horse lol). I think we all get the picture. It is dragged on unnecessarily, even though our religion has made the Nikah process short and straight forward.

So, it is unlikely that the bride, groom and their close relatives pray on time on the day of the wedding ceremony. Also, since the ceremonies and dinner last late into the night, the guests also face inconvenience in praying their Isha salah.

I wouldn't say it is a 'bad omen'. But yes, definitely starting off a marriage by earning the displeasure of Allah by elaborate ceremonies and complete disregard to the obligations & prohibitions towards Allah Almighty.

May Allah subhaanaho waa taala make us return to our deen and leave these practices of the jahiliyyah. Ameen

And a question : Should the bride be applying makeup even if the marriage ceremony takes place with segregation between the sexes ? After the Nikah the entire family gets together, so the bride is now among non-mahrams but has makeup on. Thoughts ?

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

BADTASTEBEARS

Fear Allah

*Is it that urgent to attend an event that will make me miss Allah's commands?!*

After reviewing your duty of accepting your brother's/sister's invitation to his/her wedding according to the Sunnah..you need to consider what kind of environment will this wedding entail..will there be mixing of genders?..music?..dancing?..smoking?..etc. etc.???

Then..you have to sit down and review things all over again based on what you accumulate about that environment (it does *not* harm to ask the person inviting you questions!)..and trust me..if you were being honest with Allah and your nafs..you'll see a decision unfold right before your eyes..upon which you will hardly have to worry about missing a prayer..being dressed improperly..or hearing and seeing that which displeases Allah

P.S. brother thariq2005 put a wonderful post about omens right above my post..which I think you should read carefully again and again :)

Assalamualaikum

SubhanAllah thanks sister I really need that now.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals

Uhubuki filAllaah sister!!
mashaAllaah...tabarakaAllaah :D :hearts:

HappyMuslimah

Wa `alaykkum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Sister you must know, and may Allaah increase you in knowledge, that it is obligatory on every muslim to pray every salaah no matter what the situation is.

Also I would like to point out something about belief in omens/superstitions/luck etc, that this is Minor Shirk.

Sorry, lol, my use of the word 'omen' was a careless choice. I know belief in omens and superstition generally is shirk. I meant that I would personally not feel good about not praying on my wedding day, which is a life-changing event, when I pray everyday. I would feel especially uncomfortable missing my prayer on a day as important as this. I just wouldn't want to start my marriage by sinning. It would make me uncomfortable. Sorry again, hope this clarifies what I meant!

I do know that prayer is obligatory in all circumstances, but I was just wondering how it worked in practical terms in leui of marriage. Ceremonies are elaborate and I can wholly empathise with BrotherInIslam7's post. Though our ceremonies sometimes carry on through three prayers! And whilst it is sometimes possible for the guests to sneak off to pray, its virtually unheard of for the bride/groom to leave the ceremony.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
I often think about this.

The only difference is that I know that inshAllah I will DEFINITELY make my Salah on my wedding day. I don't care how bulky the dress is or whatever is in danger of falling off or melting off. It would be the most significant day of my life where one part of my life would be ending and another part of my life would be beginning. I've often seen how many brides don't pray on their wedding days, simply because they're too nervous during the day's preparations or they just forget to. And alhamdulillah it's in moments like those when I observe them, that I commit myself to doing the exact opposite inshAllah. I probably WILL be just as nervous and scared as them. But I'm also going to make my salah. Because it is in those precise moments that you remember Allah SWT and you remember the fact that while your life is changing significantly, He is the one constant that will remain with you throughout it all. To me, making salah would not just be fulfilling my everyday obligation to him, but it would also help psychologically prepare me for the fact that He was with me throughout my life, He brought me safely to this point, He is going into this with me and He will be with me throughout the rest of it all, no matter what happens.

If sisters remember that, I doubt any of them would miss a single prayer on their wedding day.

saima abdullah

my life iz 4 Allah

So.... it's summer and therefore wedding galore! I was just curious as to how the bride/groom read namaaz on the wedding day, its usually hectic! Any of you brothers sneak out during the day or was it just impossible? Any sisters take off your entire outfit (and makeup?) to read namaaz?

I can't imagine a bride/groomm having time to read it on the day. But then again, it might be considered a bad omen to begin married life by skipping prayers?

asalam o alykum
well my best friend has managed that issue very well MashaAllah ... At time of assar she prayed at beauty saloon, and refreshed her wazoo before having make up ... so she prayed magrib with all that stuff on...:D :D:D in banquet hall... isha at her husband's home ... so its said where there is will there is a way....May Allah keep them both happy