Preparing for fasting.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

It is time for us to get serious for fasting. So dear brothers and sisters start sharing. For this thread I am going to read your thoughts and ideas.

dianne

Salaam,

It is time for us to get serious for fasting. So dear brothers and sisters start sharing. For this thread I am going to read your thoughts and ideas.

Salam sis,
are u going to start fasting now? im not sure yet,lol hey i have a articles story for u guys to read,from today onwards i will do some articles story based on islam.but at least once a week.lol.i think i like to writing now.

Wassalam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

InshaAllah, I will be able to fast on Mondays and Thursdays. Allah subhana talla has blessed me with so much I pray that I can one day fast everyother day as did David. I have to weep for the blessings. The worries have disappeared. Alhumdullila.

Asalaamalikum,

Every year during Ramadan I try to learn new surahs for praying and attend Taraweeh prayers. I am really looking forward to fasting, I really need it.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Salaam,

InshaAllah, I will be able to fast on Mondays and Thursdays. Allah subhana talla has blessed me with so much I pray that I can one day fast everyother day as did David. I have to weep for the blessings. The worries have disappeared. Alhumdullila.

The real name of Prophet David was "Daaood" (PBUH). In Arabic it is written as:

داؤد

Yes, in English it is known to be David.

Wassalaam

hussaini

Yes, its good to start preparing ourself - in welcoming RAMDAN so that all the activities be comfortable and with total devotion.
Keeping ourself fit involves a light exercise and food / diet controls - some body from T2I may help inshallah.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
Yes, so true, this blessed month is just around the corner, mashallah, and should be prepared for now. Inshallah I will try to fast Mondays and Thursdays, and read more Quran. Last Ramadan was not too good for me, but I pray this one is inshallah.:tti_sister:

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
I don't really get too complicated in preparation. I try to eat less ofcourse, but also I try to eat food that is not rich (ie bland) so as to "turn myself off" of eating. Also, I move my cardio to right after the morning prayers to start the day off in the right frame of mind. Also, I try to read more Qu'aran. This way you work on preparing for both the lesser and the greater jihad.

Just sorta puts you in the proper frame of reference.

I don't really get too complicated in preparation. I try to eat less ofcourse, but also I try to eat food that is not rich (ie bland) so as to "turn myself off" of eating. Also, I move my cardio to right after the morning prayers to start the day off in the right frame of mind. Also, I try to read more Qu'aran. This way you work on preparing for both the lesser and the greater jihad.

Just sorta puts you in the proper frame of reference.

Asalaamalikum,

O so you exercise when you are fasting? That's tough. I usually do it after I have fasted and ate.

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
akhi, I am a truck driver. This means I sit on my butt for fourteen hours a day. If I did not exercise, I would be as fat as an elephant. The routine does have to be lightened during Ramadan and the week after, but inshallah, it still has to get done. All it takes is picking up the bar or getting on the treadmill. If you have the energy to start, you have the energy to finish. It is also important to start your exercise either after you have broken your fast, or before you start it at daybreak. Hydration is the key to exercise.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

Inshallah im all ready, fasting on Mondays and Thursdays so thats good Inshallah. Also Sha'ban is coming up so whose gonna join me in fasting all of that month Inshallah?

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

farhopes

No God but Allah
Assalamo alikom

How wonderful month we are waiting and longing for very happily!

May Allah help us to prepare ourselves to that dear month.
I like to remind you of some beautiful Hadiths about fasting.

Narrated Sahl bin Sad: The Prophet said, "Paradise has eight gates, and one of them is called Ar-Raiyan through which none will enter but those who observe fasting." The Prophet also said, "If a person spends two different kinds of something (for Allah's Cause), he will be called from the gates of Paradise." (Book #54, Hadith #479)

Narrated Abu Huraira : The Prophet said, "(Allah said), 'Every good deed of Adam's son is for him except fasting; it is for Me. and I shall reward (the fasting person) for it.' Verily, the smell of the mouth of a fasting person is better to Allah than the smell of musk." (Book #72, Hadith #811)

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Whoever does not give up forged speech and evil actions, Allah is not in need of his leaving his food and drink (i.e. Allah will not accept his fasting.)" (Book #31, Hadith #127)

Amirah20

Salaam,

Bukhārī . . . from Anas ibn Mālik: "Three persons came to the houses of the Prophet's wives to ask about his religious practice, and when they told them, it was as if they belittled it. And they said, 'In what do we differ from the Prophet? Yet God has pardoned all his past and future faults.' One of them said, 'As for me, I shall pray all night long.' Another said, 'I shall fast every day continuously.' The third said, 'I shall draw apart from women and never marry.' Then the Messenger of God went to them and said: 'Are you those who said thus and so? But I dread God more than you and revere him more, yet I fast and break the fast; I pray and I sleep too, and I marry women. Whosoever turns from my practice [sunna] is none of mine.'"

“The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) prohibited continuous fasting.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Be moderate, you can’t fast everyday. Besides you’re a female so you can’t fast everyday even if you want to. Prophet David (pbuh) fasted one day and broke it the next day…so he fasted every other day not every single day. There are cases were fasting could be offensive and we all need to be aware of that.

Cases in which fasting is offensive:

Offensive fasting:

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated:
“The Prophet of Allah (peace be upon him) prohibited fasting on the day of `Arafah at `Arafah.” (Reported by Ahmad)

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “None of you should observe optional fasting on Friday unless along with another day, before or after it.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Do not fast on Saturday except what has been made obligatory on you; and if one of you can get nothing but a grape skin or a piece of wood from a tree, he should chew it.” (Reported by At-Tirmidhi)

The Prophet of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “When the middle of Sha`ban comes, do not fast.” (Reported by Abu Dawud)

Highly offensive fasting:

`A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) narrated:
“The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) prohibited continuous fasting.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “Do not fast continuously day and night (Al-Wisal practice).”
(Reported by Al-Bukhari)

`Ammar Ibn Yasir (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “He who fasts the day of Shakk (in which it is not decided whether the following day is the beginning of Ramadan or not), disobeys Abul-Qasim, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him).”(Reported by Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever fasts daily throughout his life is just as the one who does not fast at all.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Abu Qatadah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated: “`Umar asked the Prophet: Messenger of Allah, what is the position of one who perpetually observes fast? Thereupon, he said: 'He neither fasted nor broke it,' or he said: 'He did not fast and he did not break it.'” (Reported by An-Nasa’i)

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “It is not lawful for a woman to fast (optional fasting) without the permission of her husband if he is at home.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Prohibited fasting:

`Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated:
“Allah's Prophet has forbidden people to fast on the day on which you break fasting (the fast of Ramadan) and the day on which you eat the meat of your sacrifices.” (i.e. the first day of Al-Adha Bairam).
(Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The days of Tashriq are the days of eating and drinking.” (Reported by Muslim)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Is it not true that a woman does not pray and does not fast on menstruating? And that is the defect (loss) in her religion.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

here is more info for voluntary fasting and inshaAllah I hope you find them helpful. :hijabi:

http://www.islam-for-everyone.com/teach_islam/Worship/Lesson46.htm

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I beg to differ but I wrote everyother day..meaning to fast one day and rest the next.
I know I am a female. Have been all my life..but there comes a point in a woman's life where she becomes free of her menses. There are many a sister who have no husband to ask permission.
Thank you for the informative post.

Amirah20

Salaam,

I beg to differ but I wrote everyother day..meaning to fast one day and rest the next.
I know I am a female. Have been all my life..but there comes a point in a woman's life where she becomes free of her menses. There are many a sister who have no husband to ask permission.
Thank you for the informative post.

I apologize sis I thought you said “everyday” maybe I need glasses. When I was in my younger teens someone told me its best to fast everyday which I began doing. Unfortunately that resulted in me being sick and dropping to a very unhealthy weight. With my mom and the Imam’s help I found the proper way to fast. So when you said “every other day” I didn’t get past the “every” part since I’ve had a bad experience. Again I do apologize if I came across as offensive, by Allah that wasn’t my intention. As for the husband part I'm confused as to what you mean by that.

revertmuslimah

First Ramadan ever!!!!

Asalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh

Its going to be my first ramadan this year i'm very excited, trouble is, I will also be doing my first year of teaching since becoming qualified and its going to be hard, but Inshallah it will go well. I have been practicing fasting and yesterday I completed a full days voluntary fast although I was extremely lethargic and very moody and had a compulsion to buy any food in sight even though I couldn't eat it. Alhumdulliah rabbyil alameen. I was pretty stupid and hadn't eaten anything before fasting so ended up fasting for 23 hours!!!! It really made appreciate how lucky we are in the West to have so much food. I wanted to fast tomorrow but have been banned by my fiance who said that I was jumping into the deep end. Anyway I will be fasting every monday and thursday in preparation Inshallah.

May Allah guide us on the sirawtol mustaqueem and grant all the believers mercy on the day of judgement

revertmuslimah :hijabi:

sumaya_graham

Assalam alaikum

Assalam alaikum,

Well, Alhamdulilah I've been doing ramadan for a couple of years now but I get the same thing happen to me as you. If i go shopping while fasting, I want to buy this that and other for later and when it actually comes to the time of eating I only want a bit and can't eat large ammounts of food..

It can et expensive sometimes haha cos I used to buy this stuff that I fancied eating and normally I wouldn't that stuff.

One thing that is funny though is that I can give up food for ramadan but I can't when I want to go on a diet!!!

Fi amanillah,
Sumaya

halah

Jazaki Allah khair sister for your worthy posts,I do benefit of all , indeed the fragrance of Ramadan is in the corner and we have to be prepared for it.

Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Every slave of Allah who observes Saum (fasting) for one day for the sake of Allah, Allah will draw his face farther from Hell-fire to the extent of a distance to be covered in seventy years.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Sister it just made the post funny to read. The whole husband thing....you know the permision thing ...

But you raise an excellent point of young women fasting for the wrong reasons. I urge you to start a topic under the sister circle...it would open eyes.