Preparing for The Realities of Marriage

Musulmanin

by Munira Lekovic Ezzeldine (Azizah Magazine)

How ludicrous would it be for a person to hold a grand opening for a new business then leave for vacation the next day or go to a job interview without having read the job description? Equally absurd is the way many people get married each year without any knowledge of or preparation for the realities of marriage. Couples make elaborate wedding and honeymoon plans but none for a life together. Additionally, many are looking for spouses to marry without looking at their responsibilities in a marriage.

Based on fairy tales spun by the media and pop culture, young women dream of finding their Prince Charming and living happily ever after. We think that once we are married, everything will just sort itself out. Some of us think that marriage is a solution or an escape or that our spouses will "complete us." Compounding this are values of mainstream society and their effect on the psyche of adolescents. Years of struggling with issues of dating and pre-marital sex in school as well as constant bombardment through films and television of unrealistic images of what love, sex and marriage are have affected our outlook on marriage and the opposite sex. So, when the time comes to get married, we often carry unrealistic expectations of what being married will be like and how our spouses will be.

Many young Muslims are not prepared for marriage and have not cultivated the skills to create a lasting relationship. While the general American population has the world's highest divorce rate, 48.6 percent, Muslims in the United States come in not too far behind at 33 percent. One in three Muslims marriage here will end in divorce- not surprising considering we are living in a "divorce culture" where independence and individual happiness often come first. When the marriage does not fulfill the individual's needs, the marriage is questioned. Terms such as "starter marriage" are becoming more common in the Muslim community as divorces among newlywed couples, after only months of being married, increase. Furthermore, couples in multicultural marriages are experiencing complex issues because of their background differences and often find little support from their families and communities because of certain cultural ideas about marriage. These couples often become resigned to ending the marriage. Newlyweds sometimes don't readily acknowledge that they must work on the marriage for it to survive. Many divorce when marriage is not what they expected or harder than they imagined. Divorce is now considered a plausible option among young Muslims, unlike the generation before them. Now, more than ever, we should prepare ourselves and our children for the realities of marriage. Preparing for marriage is as important as having an accurate road map before driving cross country.

Preparing for marriage is more than searching for a spouse; it begins with discovering who you are as a person.

Undergo Self-Reflection

Preparing for marriage is more than searching for a spouse; it begins with discovering who you are as a person and what you will bring to a marriage. Identify what innate beliefs you hold because these are the things that are least likely to change about you. Your values and beliefs are your compass in life and will determine your lifestyle and the choices you make. Understanding what is important to you clarifies the type of person with whom you will be compatible. Reflection is a process of self-growth that can be difficult, but it shows maturity and a true understanding of the intensity of marriage. Ask yourself these questions: "What is my personal set of life values?" "What are my fears?" "What are my strengths?" "What are my weaknesses?" Identifying your flaws is equally important because it provides you with personal goals for self-improvement. It will also provide your future spouse insight into your weaknesses, as well as the things that may never change about you.

Establish Compatibility

Before you can determine the type of person you are compatible with, you first need to understand what compatibility is. It doesn't mean you will be exactly like your spouse, but rather, that you share many similarities and hold mutual respect for your differences, It is important to find someone who shares your core values and beliefs and whose long-term goals correspond with yours. Having complementary values and goals helps married couples grow closer to Allah because they will constantly strive in the same direction and have fewer disagreements in their marriage. True and realistic love will be found in the everydayness of marriage when sharing common interests and doing interesting things together. But, be careful if you find yourself making excuses for incompatibility or you start believing that the other person will change once you're married. People rarely change. Qualities in a potential spouse that do not align with your core values and beliefs are red flags because that person is about as unlikely to change as you are. When making a decision about an element of incompatibility, ask yourself; "Can I maintain my beliefs while married to this person even if he/she doesn't change?" Acknowledge that you simply can't control your spouse's way of being. Being able to maintain mutual respect for your differences will likely prevent many tensions in the marriage.

Understand You- Expectations Ascertain the expectations you hold for marriage. Many couples enter a marriage with unspoken and usually unconscious expectations of what their spouse is going to provide and fulfill. Honestly examining your expectations of marriage and your potential spouse is a necessary step in preventing disappointment. Ask yourself, "What do I think marriage will be like?" "Who and what have influenced these expectations?"

"What is my parents' relationship like?" "How does this play a role in what I expect in my marriage?" "What does the term 'husband' mean to me?" The answers to these types of questions will help spotlight your expectations about marriage and the basis for those expectations. Understanding your expectations and assessing how realistic they are is a vital step toward helping you enter into marriage with open eyes.

Communicate

Everybody should acquire two critical skills before getting married:

Communication and conflict resolution. These are essential to making a marriage successful. You and your potential spouse will begin to understand how you each communicate as you get to know one another. Not communicating and misinterpreting communication will cause numerous problems in a marriage. This is the time to ask yourself; "Am I good at communicating my feelings and thoughts?" "How do I resolve a conflict: do I ignore it, solve it?" "Am I a good listener?" Understanding your approach and identifying your weaknesses are valuable because marriage carries the responsibility to communicate your needs and frustrations with your spouse. It is equally important to understand your spouse's communication style and conflict resolution skills and how compatible they are to yours. Ultimately, the effort you and your spouse put in this area will form the backbone of your marriage.

Entering into a marriage is a time to grow as an individual and to grow interdependently with a spouse. Having the courage to discover your expectations and weaknesses and taking responsibility for the direction of your marriage requires a mature approach. To grow spiritually in your marriage requires that you learn to be less selfish and more loving, even during times of conflict. Move beyond the fantasy and unrealistic expectations and realize that marriage is about making a conscious choice to love and care for your spouse-even when you do not feel like it. A marriage needs love, support, tolerance, honesty, respect, humility, realistic expectations and a sense of humor to be successful.

These values will help a marriage survive conflict, disappointment and problems. Marriage is a beautiful relationship that Muslims should enter with an understanding of all of its dimensions. If Prophet Muhammad reminds us that marriage is "half our faith," then how can we as Muslims go into something this central with a lack of preparation and understanding? We can only be good spouses once we understand what it means to be married and mentally prepare ourselves for the amazing journey.

dianek

Furthermore, couples in multicultural marriages are experiencing complex issues because of their background differences and often find little support from their families and communities because of certain cultural ideas about marriage.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHERE I FALL......I have given it a valiant try (7 years).....nothing left to give.

fma6

Thirsty4Knowledge
Are multicultural marriages really difficult? Someone please elabrate on that..as it is being the norm nowadays to marry someone from another culture.

dianek

Are multicultural marriages really difficult? Someone please elabrate on that..as it is being the norm nowadays to marry someone from another culture.

I don't think it is difficult to be in an inter-racial (white/african american/hispanic) marriage if you are brought up in the same environment, faith etc. BUT it has been absolutely straining and depressing and hard and violent and the list goes on in my multi-cultural marriage (White American/Tunisian Arab)........it might not have been that hard if I was the one who ventured overseas and met him and married there and embraced that life first. However, he ventured to the states and chose a life here and expects life to be like it would for him over there....NOT HAPPENING....ofcourse we try to compromise but face it.....Americans (myself) can be stubborn when it comes to having to be, in our minds, forced to take steps BACKWARDS in the way we live our lives. And not sharing the same faith/religion certainly compounds things when one constantly preaches to the other....SO...if you are in a relationship that is multicultural and accepting of the way things are in the country you reside in, not where you are from, and you are not religious or atleast OVERLY religious, then it could work I guess. But I have a hard time finding any light in this tunnel. All my husband's friends who married an American except one is divorced or not legally divorced yet and already islamically married to a muslim born woman now. So that says to me, though they won't admit it, sticking with your own is ideal. But hindsight is 20/20.....so we lie in the mess that we make....if I did it all again, I would never have gone beyond the first few dates for dinner...that would have been it.......I would marry from my own background.

fma6

Thirsty4Knowledge
Oh Dianek, thanks for replying and highlighting the problems, you are right though, when 2 people dont see eye to eye on some things, it just mounts and it become difficult....

I really wish for you the best, Just be patient(i know 7 years are long!) but dont give up hope....you will find peace somewhere soon.:)

Musulmanin

:salam2:

I believe multicultural marriages have better chances when Quran and Sunnah are taking before culture and personal wishes. I also believe that by sticking to the Quran and Sunnah and letting them lead marital life couples should have significantly less problems. If a husband or wife gives up his/her personal position/opinion for the sake of following the example of the Prophet, inshAllah their family life will be easier. And in any case you know you did the right thing by sticking to sunnah, even if you have to give in in an argument with a spouse. InshAllah muslims come back to follow sunnah in all its beautiful aspects.

:wasalam:

rtbour

american muslima
I don't think it is difficult to be in an inter-racial (white/african american/hispanic) marriage if you are brought up in the same environment, faith etc. BUT it has been absolutely straining and depressing and hard and violent and the list goes on in my multi-cultural marriage (White American/Tunisian Arab)........it might not have been that hard if I was the one who ventured overseas and met him and married there and embraced that life first. However, he ventured to the states and chose a life here and expects life to be like it would for him over there....NOT HAPPENING....ofcourse we try to compromise but face it.....Americans (myself) can be stubborn when it comes to having to be, in our minds, forced to take steps BACKWARDS in the way we live our lives. And not sharing the same faith/religion certainly compounds things when one constantly preaches to the other....SO...if you are in a relationship that is multicultural and accepting of the way things are in the country you reside in, not where you are from, and you are not religious or atleast OVERLY religious, then it could work I guess. But I have a hard time finding any light in this tunnel. All my husband's friends who married an American except one is divorced or not legally divorced yet and already islamically married to a muslim born woman now. So that says to me, though they won't admit it, sticking with your own is ideal. But hindsight is 20/20.....so we lie in the mess that we make....if I did it all again, I would never have gone beyond the first few dates for dinner...that would have been it.......I would marry from my own background.

You know i completely agree with you. I dont think there is much left to say! we are in the same boat! I think while sometimes its good (this multicultural marriage thing), OTHER TIMES IT makes me want to pull my hair out and run away screaming. And i kind of feel that way right now. dianek we should vent together. ha.

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
A great post and I hope everyone who is serious about getting marry once and staying married to that person until they die needs to read this post. Especially the core goal sections..I often see sisters including myself sometime who just want to rush into marriage. That almost happen to be...I praise Allah it fell through everyday. He wanted to do things...that I really just did not want to do but I said I would sacrifice for him. So glad I stay true to myself

wa alaikum salaam.

q8penpals

Salam

2 points from me...

While the general American population has the world's highest divorce rate, 48.6 percent, Muslims in the United States come in not too far behind at 33 percent. One in three Muslims marriage here will end in divorce- not surprising considering we are living in a "divorce culture" where independence and individual happiness often come first.

Unfortunately, Kuwait is at 53% of marriages ending in divorce (I think part of the reason is that the Kuwait government gives a lot of money to Kuwaitis when they get married, so many young people get married, take the money, and get divorced. The reason I think that is because of the number of marriages that do not even last a year and produce no children, yet they still get the money - it is like $20,000 they get) - and Kuwait is basically a Muslim country. :-( You can blame the west all you want, but Kuwait isn't in the west - they are doing this themselves.

POint 2 - about interracial marriages (I am in one):

I think it was rightly said that it is a combination of things - was it DianeK who said that if the couple was interracial but grew up in the same culture or faith it seems easier? I totally agree with that. Every step of difference between the spouses will make the marriage more difficult. And it seems to be the small things that make life more difficult. ONe story - my husband's sister recently had a baby boy (little Mohammad is so cute, Masha'Allah!) - I knit hand-made baby blankets. I said I will make one for little Mohammad as a baby gift. He was like NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT - it would look like we were not able to afford to get her a "real" gift (he got her a gold bracelet)! I was very confused because where I am from in the US, hand-made gifts are the most cherished. SO I am making the blanket and will just give it to her on some random day.

Same thing with my baked goods - I make delicious baked goods, but I can only take them when we go to my "western" friends - he won't let me bring home-made goods to his family homes, because "it just isn't done!".

This is just a small, tiny example, but it is a difference between us that ocassionally makes us crabby with each other!

Also, I DID move to Kuwait and accept a lot of the culture before I even met my husband in person (long story there for some other time!), so some of the "Kuwaiti" things, I already knew about, and if I did not accept some things, I was at least aware of them. And I had read up a whole bunch about Islam before moving to a Muslim country too, so I had that background knowledge (I am a voracious reader - does anyone on here have an Amazon Kindle? I am getting one this summer!)

But most days, the biggest problem my husband and I have is that we are both a bit lazy and getting a bit chubby - but at least we are sharing that experience! LOL!

Lana

dianek

You know i completely agree with you. I dont think there is much left to say! we are in the same boat! I think while sometimes its good (this multicultural marriage thing), OTHER TIMES IT makes me want to pull my hair out and run away screaming. And i kind of feel that way right now. dianek we should vent together. ha.

LOL!! yes we should!!! PM me anytime!!! It is funny, I remember growing up and hearing my parents (mind you from the south) used to drill in my head that blacks and whites don't mix......if I ever brought a black boy home (again their words, not mine) that my father would put a bullet in my head......So with my first husband (hispanic/chinese) I was told "Well atleast he's not black." Then I met and married my husband now.......if you were to ask my mom now, she would say that she wishes I had married a nice black man......atleast we would have things in common through culture....her biased has disappeared now in regards to that, it is a non-issue anymore but my muslim husband, that is AN ISSUE....... I give up.......

um_mustafa

sister in Islam

I believe multicultural marriages have better chances when Quran and Sunnah are taking before culture and personal wishes. I also believe that by sticking to the Quran and Sunnah and letting them lead marital life couples should have significantly less problems. If a husband or wife gives up his/her personal position/opinion for the sake of following the example of the Prophet, inshAllah their family life will be easier. And in any case you know you did the right thing by sticking to sunnah, even if you have to give in in an argument with a spouse. InshAllah muslims come back to follow sunnah in all its beautiful aspects.

Salams , I agree with you sister, from personal experiance, I married when I was very young and my husband who is from Libya was also (for a guy) young and we tried to base our marriage accordining to Islam we tried to keep the upbring of our children based on Isamic ,and not at all on cultural values.
Now I live in Libya, it was hard for me the first year as I had to deal with culture etc but with my husband by my side it had worked out good. I don;t ever regret coming here to live as my children have very strong arabic language which is the main reason I came here for their religion, I don't feel I have sacrificed any thing I truly belive this is what Allah talaa' has wanted for me.
But on a down note , I have met many sisters in multi culture marriages which have not worked, the majority seem to have problems, ajusting to living in a new country or getting on with their husbands. I find when they have a choice of where to live, in the others country or,UK . They have one foot here and one foot there and can't make up thier minds for the best.
Poor children suffer from this. Much easier when there is no choice and you have to get on with what you have.
W/salam
Um Mustafa

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

the biggest reason as to why i am not married is because there aren't many people of my same culture around that i have pleased me in their practice of islam. the sisters that have caught my interest were arab or pakistani, but their parents would die before letting me marry their daughter. so it's a struggle everyday for me.

ummersheriff

by Munira Lekovic Ezzeldine (Azizah Magazine)

How ludicrous would it be for a person to hold a grand opening for a new business then leave for vacation the next day or go to a job interview without having read the job description? Equally absurd is the way many people get married each year without any knowledge of or preparation for the realities of marriage. Couples make elaborate wedding and honeymoon plans but none for a life together. Additionally, many are looking for spouses to marry without looking at their responsibilities in a marriage.

Based on fairy tales spun by the media and pop culture, young women dream of finding their Prince Charming and living happily ever after. We think that once we are married, everything will just sort itself out. Some of us think that marriage is a solution or an escape or that our spouses will "complete us." Compounding this are values of mainstream society and their effect on the psyche of adolescents. Years of struggling with issues of dating and pre-marital sex in school as well as constant bombardment through films and television of unrealistic images of what love, sex and marriage are have affected our outlook on marriage and the opposite sex. So, when the time comes to get married, we often carry unrealistic expectations of what being married will be like and how our spouses will be.

Many young Muslims are not prepared for marriage and have not cultivated the skills to create a lasting relationship. While the general American population has the world's highest divorce rate, 48.6 percent, Muslims in the United States come in not too far behind at 33 percent. One in three Muslims marriage here will end in divorce- not surprising considering we are living in a "divorce culture" where independence and individual happiness often come first. When the marriage does not fulfill the individual's needs, the marriage is questioned. Terms such as "starter marriage" are becoming more common in the Muslim community as divorces among newlywed couples, after only months of being married, increase. Furthermore, couples in multicultural marriages are experiencing complex issues because of their background differences and often find little support from their families and communities because of certain cultural ideas about marriage. These couples often become resigned to ending the marriage. Newlyweds sometimes don't readily acknowledge that they must work on the marriage for it to survive. Many divorce when marriage is not what they expected or harder than they imagined. Divorce is now considered a plausible option among young Muslims, unlike the generation before them. Now, more than ever, we should prepare ourselves and our children for the realities of marriage. Preparing for marriage is as important as having an accurate road map before driving cross country.

Preparing for marriage is more than searching for a spouse; it begins with discovering who you are as a person.

Undergo Self-Reflection

Preparing for marriage is more than searching for a spouse; it begins with discovering who you are as a person and what you will bring to a marriage. Identify what innate beliefs you hold because these are the things that are least likely to change about you. Your values and beliefs are your compass in life and will determine your lifestyle and the choices you make. Understanding what is important to you clarifies the type of person with whom you will be compatible. Reflection is a process of self-growth that can be difficult, but it shows maturity and a true understanding of the intensity of marriage. Ask yourself these questions: "What is my personal set of life values?" "What are my fears?" "What are my strengths?" "What are my weaknesses?" Identifying your flaws is equally important because it provides you with personal goals for self-improvement. It will also provide your future spouse insight into your weaknesses, as well as the things that may never change about you.

Establish Compatibility

Before you can determine the type of person you are compatible with, you first need to understand what compatibility is. It doesn't mean you will be exactly like your spouse, but rather, that you share many similarities and hold mutual respect for your differences, It is important to find someone who shares your core values and beliefs and whose long-term goals correspond with yours. Having complementary values and goals helps married couples grow closer to Allah because they will constantly strive in the same direction and have fewer disagreements in their marriage. True and realistic love will be found in the everydayness of marriage when sharing common interests and doing interesting things together. But, be careful if you find yourself making excuses for incompatibility or you start believing that the other person will change once you're married. People rarely change. Qualities in a potential spouse that do not align with your core values and beliefs are red flags because that person is about as unlikely to change as you are. When making a decision about an element of incompatibility, ask yourself; "Can I maintain my beliefs while married to this person even if he/she doesn't change?" Acknowledge that you simply can't control your spouse's way of being. Being able to maintain mutual respect for your differences will likely prevent many tensions in the marriage.

Understand You- Expectations Ascertain the expectations you hold for marriage. Many couples enter a marriage with unspoken and usually unconscious expectations of what their spouse is going to provide and fulfill. Honestly examining your expectations of marriage and your potential spouse is a necessary step in preventing disappointment. Ask yourself, "What do I think marriage will be like?" "Who and what have influenced these expectations?"

"What is my parents' relationship like?" "How does this play a role in what I expect in my marriage?" "What does the term 'husband' mean to me?" The answers to these types of questions will help spotlight your expectations about marriage and the basis for those expectations. Understanding your expectations and assessing how realistic they are is a vital step toward helping you enter into marriage with open eyes.

Communicate

Everybody should acquire two critical skills before getting married:

Communication and conflict resolution. These are essential to making a marriage successful. You and your potential spouse will begin to understand how you each communicate as you get to know one another. Not communicating and misinterpreting communication will cause numerous problems in a marriage. This is the time to ask yourself; "Am I good at communicating my feelings and thoughts?" "How do I resolve a conflict: do I ignore it, solve it?" "Am I a good listener?" Understanding your approach and identifying your weaknesses are valuable because marriage carries the responsibility to communicate your needs and frustrations with your spouse. It is equally important to understand your spouse's communication style and conflict resolution skills and how compatible they are to yours. Ultimately, the effort you and your spouse put in this area will form the backbone of your marriage.

Entering into a marriage is a time to grow as an individual and to grow interdependently with a spouse. Having the courage to discover your expectations and weaknesses and taking responsibility for the direction of your marriage requires a mature approach. To grow spiritually in your marriage requires that you learn to be less selfish and more loving, even during times of conflict. Move beyond the fantasy and unrealistic expectations and realize that marriage is about making a conscious choice to love and care for your spouse-even when you do not feel like it. A marriage needs love, support, tolerance, honesty, respect, humility, realistic expectations and a sense of humor to be successful.

These values will help a marriage survive conflict, disappointment and problems. Marriage is a beautiful relationship that Muslims should enter with an understanding of all of its dimensions. If Prophet Muhammad reminds us that marriage is "half our faith," then how can we as Muslims go into something this central with a lack of preparation and understanding? We can only be good spouses once we understand what it means to be married and mentally prepare ourselves for the amazing journey.

nice article, brothers and sisters let us increase our in faith in islam. let us marry a person who loves to live with islam

MuslimUmma22

:salam2: my dear brothers and sisters of islam :ma: that was beautiful post reminders to think two twice before you commit and to make sure the one we are committing with see eye with us may allah help us all come back to sunnah and quran.. i had question in regards to marriage as muslim sister i always thought about getting married...i asked myself those same questions i meet great brother whom my family approve and just love alhamdullah the only thing is that he recently been in accident and therefore we postponed our wedding plans.. that gave some time to ask my self those questions again about my values in life my goals.. one my goals in life to move to a muslim country and raise my children there.. i have discovered that he wants to move to muslim country but not one i want to..and not as soon i want to the only thing that worries me about having children in the west is that you feel like you have wait and you get so caught up in there educations and coming sure they don;t miss out that you become crazy which is one the reason why i want to get married in muslim country and have my children in muslim country.. don't get me wrong i know being a muslim country doesn;t garuantee my children will be a rightous children but i know there more of chance there then here in north america...anway my question is if iam reconsidering not marry this man..i am know iam breaking my promise but i don't want to change my life goals for him so please advise a sister may allah reward you all and may allah make you all successful in duniya and akhira amiin yaa rabi

massi

:shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

dianek

Salams , I agree with you sister, from personal experiance, I married when I was very young and my husband who is from Libya was also (for a guy) young and we tried to base our marriage accordining to Islam we tried to keep the upbring of our children based on Isamic ,and not at all on cultural values.
Now I live in Libya, it was hard for me the first year as I had to deal with culture etc but with my husband by my side it had worked out good. I don;t ever regret coming here to live as my children have very strong arabic language which is the main reason I came here for their religion, I don't feel I have sacrificed any thing I truly belive this is what Allah talaa' has wanted for me.
But on a down note , I have met many sisters in multi culture marriages which have not worked, the majority seem to have problems, ajusting to living in a new country or getting on with their husbands. I find when they have a choice of where to live, in the others country or,UK . They have one foot here and one foot there and can't make up thier minds for the best.
Poor children suffer from this. Much easier when there is no choice and you have to get on with what you have.
W/salam
Um Mustafa

For me, I never intend to live anywhere but where i was born and raised. So i think that for my husband to want to live in his country now is unfair....I didn't go to his country and drag him to live here after he met and married me...HE CAME TO THE US AND CHOSE TO MARRY AN AMERICAN.....so he should suck it up and live here as I will NEVER be comfortable anywhere else. Which is why we fight so much.......he wants a tunisian way of life, I want an american way of life.....we have yet to find a suitable middle-ground. These are all things that he should have thought about ahead of time.....I didn't think about it because it never dawned on me that he would one day want to relocate my life. And too, alot of it is that in the beginning it all lovey dovey...as time progresses things evolve, change, our ideas and expectations change. As such the man I married is no longer the man I met. He was at that time caught up in the western/american way of life, all of it....but when he became religious, which I didn't count on, he changed drastically....all of that is hard on top of cultural expectations.....

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
For me, I never intend to live anywhere but where i was born and raised. So i think that for my husband to want to live in his country now is unfair....I didn't go to his country and drag him to live here after he met and married me...HE CAME TO THE US AND CHOSE TO MARRY AN AMERICAN.....so he should suck it up and live here as I will NEVER be comfortable anywhere else. Which is why we fight so much.......he wants a tunisian way of life, I want an american way of life.....we have yet to find a suitable middle-ground. These are all things that he should have thought about ahead of time.....I didn't think about it because it never dawned on me that he would one day want to relocate my life. And too, alot of it is that in the beginning it all lovey dovey...as time progresses things evolve, change, our ideas and expectations change. As such the man I married is no longer the man I met. He was at that time caught up in the western/american way of life, all of it....but when he became religious, which I didn't count on, he changed drastically....all of that is hard on top of cultural expectations.....

Just my humble opinion...May be your husband might have changed his mind(to move to Tunis) because the things are not very great for Muslims in the US now.