Questin about HIJAB?

samiha

---------
Staff member
My intention was not to offend anyone; it was not to start arguments it was merely to show the other side of fact. I am very sorry, if anyone was offended by my comments, as they were not for that purpose. All I wanted to show is that, YES there are people that are not Muslims but are very good, and YES there are people who try to be good Muslims but perhaps are misguided or mislead and do things not allowed in Islam. Sinning is in our blood none of us is perfect. But the best of us is he who repents.
I just wanted to show that the accusations were based on IFS. Not just a few, but many, and to really judge a person like this u would have to know more about them. I wanted to just stand up for my religion. The man described in the second part had feeling of arrogance and loftiness of men over women, and that’s not true and not fair to pin on Islam, so I just wanted to show that as well.

I also agree that marriage should not be based merely on lust, but tell me true, if a man has such lusts, is it not better for him to get married and do it the way that it is allowed in Islam rather then to go out and say…. Go get a girlfriend only for his lusts or Rape someone? Astagfirullah!

Forgive me. I make mistakes and I tried to answer the question based on my knowledge and understanding, perhaps it is not how others felt.

samiha

---------
Staff member
“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

It says beleiving women. Belief doesn't change, Islam doesn't change so why should the believing women???

All the scholars say that Hijab is a Fard (Obligatory Act).

Once again, I apologize if I offended anyone. I live in the U.S., spent most of my life here. I KNOW that there are good people who are non-Muslim!!

There are also people who aren't very good and yet still claim to be Muslim, perhaps mainly due to ignorance.

nurislam

All the Koranic verses quoted have the reason for covering something along the lines of "so they (women) won't be annoyed or harrassed". So this applies directly to the prophet's society and times.
What about women who live in a society where they won't be annoyed or harrassed if they don't wear a hijab?

I'm sorry,but your theory is flawed.If thats the case,where do we set the guideline? which part is allowed to be exposed now? The hair,the arm,the leg? Astaghfirullah. God has set a guideline for us to follow. So let's say in the future 150yrs from now by then it's ok for women to bear thier chest in public,and it's ok for men to bee seen naked and it's a norm,(Na'uzubillah) so should we set our muslim & muslimah aurah base on that society's perception of norm? Should we move the goalpost? NO! Allah is our guidance, not society perception. Society's perception will always change, Allah ruling is eternally sound. This is applicable to all other commands from Allah swt.

joepierre

I'm sorry,but your theory is flawed.If thats the case,where do we set the guideline? which part is allowed to be exposed now? The hair,the arm,the leg? Astaghfirullah. God has set a guideline for us to follow. So let's say in the future 150yrs from now by then it's ok for women to bear thier chest in public,and it's ok for men to bee seen naked and it's a norm,(Na'uzubillah) so should we set our muslim & muslimah aurah base on that society's perception of norm? Should we move the goalpost? NO! Allah is our guidance, not society perception. Society's perception will always change, Allah ruling is eternally sound. This is applicable to all other commands from Allah swt.

Fair enough, laws are eternal, but I am not talking about moving the goal posts. You see you are ignoring half the verse if you simply take the command (cover up) and ignore the reason (to avoid harrassment). All commands are given for a purpose, some to please Allah (these are eternal because Allah is unchanging) and some to serve a purpose so that when the purpose disappears so does the need for the command.
You of course now ask: so which parts are we to obey and which parts remain and how do we know? Good question, but consider this: If women were not being harrassed in the Prophet's day, the command would never have been given....

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Fair enough, laws are eternal, but I am not talking about moving the goal posts. You see you are ignoring half the verse if you simply take the command (cover up) and ignore the reason (to avoid harrassment). All commands are given for a purpose, some to please Allah (these are eternal because Allah is unchanging) and some to serve a purpose so that when the purpose disappears so does the need for the command.
You of course now ask: so which parts are we to obey and which parts remain and how do we know?

Ok I get your point, so where is this magical land where a lady can go without harassment without covering up adequately? Um..?

Good question, but consider this: If women were not being harrassed in the Prophet's day, the command would never have been given....

Yes, I've considered it. And your point is .... women are not being harassed in the present day? Good one.

nurislam

First of all I would like to thank you for giving this topic a good discussion,and hopefully,the rest of our muslim brothers and sisters could take note.Alhamdullillah

This is where the mistake is,neither do I ignore half of the verse of command nor do I forget the point of the command as to please Allah. They are one and cannot be seperated.
"so which parts are we to obey and which parts remain and how do we know? Good question." You asked, that is question that has not been answered,right? So who should go to for guideline?
"if women were not being harrassed in the Prophet's day, the command would never have been given...."
, which is totally impossible for it not to happen,nevermind,I give in,lets say men at that time suddenly lost interest in looking at women,they would not even gazed at women and no nasty thought would come about in their mind,then what, no guideline? No command about Aurah? Nothing? So we can wear anything? The hijab is not for women concern only,its also for the men. Imagination is also the root of evil,normal men won't act upon such imagination but with hijab it somewhat lessen the male mind from going astray.This is also another form of harrasement that Allah want us to avoid no matter from which period we are living and where we are. Each location has their own tolerance of modesty,in some part of the world where the aboriginees live,its ok for women to bear their breast and even naked.The men won't harrased their women in these places,so muslims lliving in these location can bear everything like these communities?why not? they won't be harrased,right? There are different cultures and tolerance in the world . Allah swt won't give a set of rules which are different from one part of the world to the other.My brother,there is a danger in making things Haram in Islam and turn it into halal just because of,'what if?' We may not know it but Syaitan is always there to distort the true teaching of Muhammad saw.Sometime we as human beings think that we are smart enough to know but remember that Allah is all knowing.Wassallam.

joepierre

Ok I get your point, so where is this magical land where a lady can go without harassment without covering up adequately? Um..?

Yes, I've considered it. And your point is .... women are not being harassed in the present day? Good one.

Glad you asked both questions. Of course there is no magical land in this earth where women are not harrassed because men are sinful. But consider part of the verse
"that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed."
The purpose of the hijab is so that women are know as respectable and modest and are not harrassed. In some countries today, wearing a hijab attracts harrasement! (from lewd non muslim men). Women who dress conservatively but appropriately to the culture do not receive such harrasment, and are known as respectable women.
And before you ask, no, I am not talking about dressing provocatively, but modestly and appropriately - as a conservative modest woman in the culture would dress (and conduct herself).

west

My personal belief is that we should all dress modestly - that i the most important thing. We are not to display our bodies but cover it. This does not mean that we have to be wearing tents. We can dress modestly and still be modern in our dress

OmarTheFrench

My personal belief is that we should all dress modestly - that i the most important thing. We are not to display our bodies but cover it. This does not mean that we have to be wearing tents. We can dress modestly and still be modern in our dress

I'm Agree.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Glad you asked both questions. Of course there is no magical land in this earth where women are not harrassed because men are sinful. But consider part of the verse
"that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed."
The purpose of the hijab is so that women are know as respectable and modest and are not harrassed. In some countries today, wearing a hijab attracts harrasement! (from lewd non muslim men). Women who dress conservatively but appropriately to the culture do not receive such harrasment, and are known as respectable women.
And before you ask, no, I am not talking about dressing provocatively, but modestly and appropriately - as a conservative modest woman in the culture would dress (and conduct herself).

Actually, you make very good points :) You've given me something to think about. But as west has said "you can dress modestly, and not wear a tent". Most of the Muslim girls at my uni, dress modestly, modernly, and have a hijab.

Perhaps the women dressed as Muslims will recieve some harassment from some non-muslim men, but a lot less than what they would have maybe from not wearing it? It will make it easier for people to approach her and invite her for haram activities (dating) than when she has a hijab on, which clearly says "no thanks" to that type of stuff.

west

I do not agree that hijab i spreserve tradition.
We, as women, wear the hijab for Allah NOT for tradition