Question about alcohol/vinegar prohibition

lotus

Hi all,

Last night I watched the series videos by Revert2007 "Jesus pbuh was a Muslim". These are great videos. Thank you to Revert2007 for making them available.

I have a question about Part 4: No alcohol. As for the alcohol aspect, I already don't drink alcohol, but there was mention about vinegar which perplexes me.

Numbers 6:3 (KJV) "He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes or dried. All the days of separation..." (What are days of separation??)

I haven't yet opened the book to read the context around this statement... I thought I would ask about it here.

Here's my question: Is apple cider vinegar prohibited in Islam? I recently started drinking a tablespoon of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water once per day. It's made my complexion very clear and it is suppose to be a natural physical detoxification aid. I do like it a whole lot.

A secondary question, something that popped out at me. It appears we aren't to be eating raisins. Aren't raisins typically in some varieties of keer and biryani? I don't really like raisins; so, like alcohol, this isn't a weak point for me, but I am really wondering more about apple cider vinegar.

mabera

salam

:salam2:
Jabir narrates that a man came from Yemen and asked the Prophet(peace be upon him) about a wine made from corn called ‘Mizr’, which they drank, in their land. The Prophet asked, "Is it intoxicating?" He replied, "Yes" The Prophet said, "Every intoxicant is unlawful. Verily there is covenant upon Allah for one who drinks intoxicating drinks,(and dies without sincire repentance to Allah) that he will make him drink from ‘Teenatul Khabal,’ they asked, "O messenger of Allah, what is Teenatul Khabal?" He said, "The sweat of the inmates of hell or the pus (of impurities) of the inmates of hell." (Muslim)

Jabir narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said; "Whatever intoxicates in a greater quantity is also unlawful in its smaller quantity." (Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood and Ibn Majah)

lotus

I found this:

Halal Status of vinegar:

There is a different of opinion among Hanafi and Shafi fiqa (schools of thought) regarding vinegar. There is also different of opinion among Islamic Scholars regarding wine vinegar. Most Vinegars are Halal, however except those that are made from grape such as wine vinegar, since there is a possibility of wine being not 100% converted to acetic acid and water, there is left over wine in the wine vinegar, thus we consider wine vinegar Not a Halal vinegar and also according to most Sunni scholars Khamer which is grape wine has been declared Haram in the holy Quran and the Hadith. We recommend distilled white vinegar because it is made from dilute alcohol. Please consult your sheik or Imam on this topic.

http://www.athalal.com/questions-answers.php?id=9#answer

Bilal-italy

what about pharmacology?

Jabir narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said; "Whatever intoxicates in a greater quantity is also unlawful in its smaller quantity." (Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood and Ibn Majah)

Does this Hadith implies consecuences in pharmacology? There are so many intoxicants ordered by doctors in small quantity.
Is there someone who can explain me this issue?

I'm italian I'm sorry if i made some mistakes

JenGiove

I found this for you. I hope it helps.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/18200126/Halal-Food-Products

000.jpg

(Revised Date June 06, 2010
Page 2 of 9
LIST OF CURRENT HALAL FOOD PRODUCTS IN US SUPERMARKETS

VINEGAR:(Heinz) Apple Cider Vinegar, Distilled Vinegar

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Hi all,

Last night I watched the series videos by Revert2007 "Jesus pbuh was a Muslim". These are great videos. Thank you to Revert2007 for making them available.

I have a question about Part 4: No alcohol. As for the alcohol aspect, I already don't drink alcohol, but there was mention about vinegar which perplexes me.

Numbers 6:3 (KJV) "He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes or dried. All the days of separation..." (What are days of separation??)

I haven't yet opened the book to read the context around this statement... I thought I would ask about it here.

Here's my question: Is apple cider vinegar prohibited in Islam? I recently started drinking a tablespoon of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water once per day. It's made my complexion very clear and it is suppose to be a natural physical detoxification aid. I do like it a whole lot.

A secondary question, something that popped out at me. It appears we aren't to be eating raisins. Aren't raisins typically in some varieties of keer and biryani? I don't really like raisins; so, like alcohol, this isn't a weak point for me, but I am really wondering more about apple cider vinegar.

Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarkatu

Please check these links http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/2283/vinegar
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/901/vinegar

You can eat raisins those are halaal

bari

Vinegar is acid and is produced from alcohol. Majority of the scholars have the opinion that all kinds of vinegar are halal. But what scholars are in agreement that a muslim must not produce vinegar as it involves handling alcohol which is forbidden. As a student of science we know that not 100% of alcohol will convert to acetic acid, a tiny fraction will remain as alcohol. This tiny fraction will not be considered Najas as to get intoxicated you will need to drink a sea of vinegar which is not possible by any human. I have attended a class of precious provisions and there our teacher, a graduate from Madina mentioned that according to all the major ulama, vinegar is completely halal, does not matter how the alcohol is manufactured and sharia ignores tiny fraction of najas in food and drink.

May Allah forgive me if I have related wrong.