Question about Jinn

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah all of my brothers and sisters here at TTI are in good health and Iman.

I am a revert of just over 2 years now and I got married to a born Muslim last September. We have had several deep discussions about Islam and a few disagreements as you might imagine. Our most recent disagreement is about Jinn.

Im not sure if its cultural or not about my husbands beliefs because he is Moroccan and I am American so I think some of what he tells me is due to his being raised in Morocco. Im not sure about this one though and I thought I would bring the debate here to my brothers and sisters at TTI who have never yet let me down with good information followed up with proof that even my darling husband cannot refute!!!! :lol:

The other night it was very very hot here in Morocco and I wanted to take a shower with cool water before praying Isha since I have to dress from head to foot in order to pray and in the heat sometimes it gets to be too much for me! Anyway as I was getting ready for the shower our electricity went off. My husband informed me at that point that I am not able to take a shower until the power comes back on. I asked why and he said its because Jinn live in the bathroom drain and since the angels wont enter the bathroom (I had actually heard that before so I didnt refute that part) he said the Jinn can take possession of a persons body in the dark. I had NEVER heard anything like that before!!!!! I tried to argue with him but whenever we have a disagreement about something Islamic he tells me to check it out on TTI!!!! Even HE knows you guys are AWESOME and hes not even a member here!!!!

I argued that Allah protects us from Jinn possession and I quoted verses from the Quran that say Allah has instructed Iblees he has no authority over the believers. I dont know the exact verse right now but I know its in Quran more than one place. Also I told him when he prays "Audu bilahi mina shaitan irajim" we are asking Allah to protect us against shaitan so if we truely believe in Allah in my opinion we should trust in the fact that he WILL surely protect us since we have asked him to. In my opinion I dont see the point in asking for Allah's protection if you dont believe he WILL protect you. I dont know.........I go overboard with my reasoning sometimes I know but I am just trying to make sense of everything I hear. I want to be sure its actually Islam and not culture that is motivating the discussion. My husband said I accused him of shirk when I told him that hes more afraid of shaitan and Jinn than he is of Allah. He said that means he thinks something is above Allah and that is shirk but I didnt mean it like that I was just trying to point out to him that he should fear NOTHING and NOBODY except Allah......not even Jinn or shaitan!!!! Of course I didnt take a shower that night because the power didnt come back on and I respected what my husband told me even if I didnt agree with it because Allah tells wives to obey their husbands.

So please can you show me some proof about Jinn taking possession of a person because they took a shower in the dark???? Is there some hadith or something about it because I have found nothing in Quran to corroborate this.

I dont mean to doubt every little thing but for me if it doesnt make sense it cant be right so please provide proof if Im wrong.

Jazakallah khairan for your help in advance!!

wa salam

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

Thanks about this interesting topic. Me too would like to know how "cultural" are different types of beliefs about jinns and how to deal with them. I know some sisters from my country whose too are married with Moroccan and one of them told me before that for example it is danger to throw hot water to drain at dark time as it activates jinns or that traffic accidents happen because some jinn stays on street and car hits it.

Comparing one my Pakistani friend told he everytimes turns every cups in his home upside down before go sleeps because jinns may stay on them.

Unfortunately I have no idea are those things true or are they some kind of cultural folklore. Hopely someone here knows better.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

may Allah bless you and your husband. ameen.

we all know that jinns exist (mentioned in Quran and hadiths). secondly, jinn can possess the person.

but we dont have anything in Islam which says that dont take bath in the dark. also, in previous ages, how many could afford lights and there was no electricity?

Isra

aka Tree2008
Jazakallah khairan for your responses. I figured that sounded cultural more than Islamic. I never doubted that Jinn exist because I know that Quran mentions them all the way through it but I figured the thing about taking a shower in the dark was cultural. Ahmed Indian you made a perfect example when you talked about the time before electricity. So did people only take their showers during the day when there was light outside?

I understand about cultural folklore. My grandmother on my mothers side came from Hungary with a whole bunch of cultural folklore so yeah I have heard it all my life but most of it was taken with large grains of salt if you know what I mean.

Alhamdulillah I listened to my husband for Allah's sake but I didnt believe in that. Anyway even if Jinn are able to possess a person it cant happen without Allah's permission which I am sure of. So unless Allah allows them to possess a human they cant do it. I trust in Allah and his protection so I dont feel fear of anything including shaitan or Jinn Alhamdulillah. If only I could get my husband to see things that way it would make my life much easier but how do you fight culture when its pounded into their heads since infancy?????????

Wa salam

Tahir484

(2) Dawud reported from 'Amir who said: I asked 'Alqama if Ibn Mas'ud waspresent with the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) on the night of the Jinn (the night when the Holy Prophet met them). He (Ibn Mas'uad) said: No, but we were in the company of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) one night and we missed him.We searched for him in the valleys and the hills and said. He has either been taken away (by Jinn ) or has been secretly killed. He (the narrator) said. We spent the worst night which people could ever spend. When it was dawn we saw him coming from the side of Hiri'. He (the narrator) reported. We said: Messenger of Allah, we missed you and searched for you, but we could not find you and we spent theworst night which people could ever spend. He (the Holy Prophet) said: There came to me an inviter on behalf of the Jinn and I went along with him and recited to them the Qur'an. He (the narrator) said: He then went along with us and showed us their traces and traces of their embers. They (the Jinn ) asked him (the Holy Prophet) about their provision and he said: Every bone on which the name of Allah is recited is your provision. The time it will fall in your hand it would be covered with flesh, and the dung of (thecamels) is fodder for your animals. The Messenger ofAllah (may peace be upon him) said: Don't perform istinja with these (things)for these are the food of your brothers ( Jinn ). (Book #004 , Hadith #0903 )

Tahir484

(3) Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: The Prophet set out with the intention of going to Suq 'Ukaz (market of 'Ukaz) along with some ofhis companions. At the same time, a barrier was put between the devils and the news of heaven. Fire commenced to be thrown at them. The Devils went to their people, who asked them,"What is wrong with you?" They said, "A barrier has been placed between us and the news of heaven. And fire has been thrown at us." They said, "The thing which has put a barrier betweenyou and the news of heaven must be something which has happened recently. Go eastward and westward and see what has put a barrier between you and the news of heaven." Those who went towards Tuhama came across the Prophet at a place called Nakhla and it was on the way to Suq 'Ukaz and the Prophet was offering the Fajr prayer with his companions. When they heard the Qur'an they listened to it and said, "ByAllah, this is the thing which has put a barrier between us and the news of heaven." They went to their people and said, "O our people; verily we have heard a wonderful recital (Qur'an) which shows the true path; we believed in it and would not ascribe partners to our Lord." Allah revealed the following verses to his Prophet (Sura ' Jinn ') (72): "Say: It has been revealed to me." And what was revealed to himwas the conversation of the Jinn s. (Book #12 , Hadith #740 )

Tahir484

(3) Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: The Prophet set out with the intention of going to Suq 'Ukaz (market of 'Ukaz) along with some ofhis companions. At the same time, a barrier was put between the devils and the news of heaven. Fire commenced to be thrown at them. The Devils went to their people, who asked them,"What is wrong with you?" They said, "A barrier has been placed between us and the news of heaven. And fire has been thrown at us." They said, "The thing which has put a barrier betweenyou and the news of heaven must be something which has happened recently. Go eastward and westward and see what has put a barrier between you and the news of heaven." Those who went towards Tuhama came across the Prophet at a place called Nakhla and it was on the way to Suq 'Ukaz and the Prophet was offering the Fajr prayer with his companions. When they heard the Qur'an they listened to it and said, "ByAllah, this is the thing which has put a barrier between us and the news of heaven." They went to their people and said, "O our people; verily we have heard a wonderful recital (Qur'an) which shows the true path; we believed in it and would not ascribe partners to our Lord." Allah revealed the following verses to his Prophet (Sura ' Jinn ') (72): "Say: It has been revealed to me." And what was revealed to himwas the conversation of the Jinn s. (Book #12 , Hadith #740 )s.Bukhari

Tahir484

Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah: The Prophet said, "Cover your utensils and tie your water skins, and close your doors and keep your children close to you at night, as the Jinn s spread out at such time and snatch things away. When you go to bed, put out your lights, for the mischief-doer (i.e. the rat) may drag away the wick of the candle and burn the dwellers of the house." Ata said, "The devils." (instead of the Jinn s). (Book #54 , Hadith #533 )
(9) Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "A strong demon from the Jinn s came to me yesterday suddenly, so as to spoil my prayer, but Allah enabled me to overpower him, and so I caught him and intended to tie him to one of the pillars of the Mosque so that all of you might see him, but I remembered the invocation of my brother Solomon: 'And grant me a kingdom such as shall not belong to any other after me.' (38.35) soI let him go cursed." (Book #55 , Hadith #634S.Bukhari

Isra

aka Tree2008
(2) Dawud reported from 'Amir who said: I asked 'Alqama if Ibn Mas'ud waspresent with the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) on the night of the Jinn (the night when the Holy Prophet met them). He (Ibn Mas'uad) said: No, but we were in the company of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) one night and we missed him.We searched for him in the valleys and the hills and said. He has either been taken away (by Jinn ) or has been secretly killed. He (the narrator) said. We spent the worst night which people could ever spend. When it was dawn we saw him coming from the side of Hiri'. He (the narrator) reported. We said: Messenger of Allah, we missed you and searched for you, but we could not find you and we spent theworst night which people could ever spend. He (the Holy Prophet) said: There came to me an inviter on behalf of the Jinn and I went along with him and recited to them the Qur'an. He (the narrator) said: He then went along with us and showed us their traces and traces of their embers. They (the Jinn ) asked him (the Holy Prophet) about their provision and he said: Every bone on which the name of Allah is recited is your provision. The time it will fall in your hand it would be covered with flesh, and the dung of (thecamels) is fodder for your animals. The Messenger ofAllah (may peace be upon him) said: Don't perform istinja with these (things)for these are the food of your brothers ( Jinn ). (Book #004 , Hadith #0903 )

Jazakallah khairan for your response respected brother but I do not understand this Hadith.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

I don't know a lot with regards to Jinn possession in the dark. However, the Jinns do visit places of filth and this includes the toilet. There are two relevant hadeeth that I found with regards to it.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “These toilets are haunted (inhabited by devils), so when anyone of you goes to the toilet let him say, ‘A’oodhu Billaahi min al-khubthi wa’l-khabaa’ith (I seek refuge Allaah from the male and female devils).” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 6; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Silsilat al-Ahaadeeth al-Saheehah, 1070.

‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A screen will be placed between the eyes of the jinn and the ‘awrah of the sons of Adam when one of them enters the toilet, if he says ‘Bismillaah (in the name of Allaah).” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 496).

Sister Isra, you should obey your husband even if you disagree with him on this issue as he wishes for your safety and well being. Therefore it would be wise to adjust accordingly and please your husband and save him from worry.

turns every cups in his home upside down before go sleeps because jinns may stay on them.

Sister Harb, please read the relevant hadeeth below :-

The Prophet SallAllahu Alleyhi Wa Sallam said “Tie up your water skins and close your doors when you go to bed at night, and cover food and drink, for the shaytaan comes, and if he does not find the door closed he will enter, and if he does not find the waterskin tied up he will drink from it, and if he finds the door closed and the waterskin tied up, he does not open any water skin and he does not open a closed door, and if one of you cannot find something to cover his vessel in which is his drink, let him a place a stick over it.” Saheeh Ibn Hibban

And Allah knows best

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Not sure if it stems from authentic sources, but this type of belief is prevalent throughout the Muslim world. For example, there are two beliefs that were mentioned in this thread that I can relate to:

1. The idea of being "susceptible" in the dark - I was always taught to be weary of darkness. Ever since I was a child, my mother had a habit of turning all the lights on after Maghrib. She would get annoyed at me for actually being comfortable with darkness and at one point even said something about jinn being born in darkness or something to insinuate they were comfortable with it. It became such a habit for her that it seems normal every time I see her do it and thus I don't question it.

As for the bathroom thing, yes as it is techically a place of "uncleanliness", it CAN be a place where people are more vulnerable to being exposed to jinn. There are adhkaar one can recite before entering and after exiting the bathroom to protect them from jinn exposure.

2. The reversing cup thing - Mentionef by Sister Harb, I believe. This is a very common belief in the Subcontinent. Basically, the idea is that all food and eating utensils should not be left out in the open; otherwise, they could serve as nourishment for jinn. In my house, we were rebuked every time my mother found an uncovered utensil in the kitchen the next morning. Now? Not so much lol

Anyway, I have no idea how authentic these beliefs are but this us just to ascertain that many across the Muslim world do indeed truly believe them.

And I just saw BrotherInIslam's post, so I'll go and hug my mother for being so wise now.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
assalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh dear sister Isra

MashaAllah I am so happy to hear that you are married now alhamdhulillah! May Allah bless 3 of you, and keep you all steadfast in His Deen and make you all enter al-Firdausul A'la.

As per Morocco, from my little experience so far, I can strongly say that it is a place of "kindness and generosity". MashaAllah! :) Most of its people are just like scattered pearls on a clean floor. :)

Also, according to my Islamic Lecturers, Morocco is a place where many actions of Sihr (Black Majic) are done. If it is like that, its obvious that the Shirk Worshippers by doing Sihr (Black Majic), with Jinns will be high too.

Therefore, it could be possible that your husband is advicing you what he has learnt from childhood, and did that because he wish you all the safety and good sister. However, it is your duty to kindly and caringly open his mind little by little, towards the correct view on this matter. However, if he keeps refusing to believe what you brings on the matter, keep obeying him because he is not calling you for something Haram inshaAllah. :)

My beloved brothers and sisters up there has mentioned proof regarding the issue, so let me mention the EXACT answer to your question inshaAllah.

We all must have Utmost Trust in Allah whenever we make an Adhkaar or Du'a, that ONLY Allah can provide it, and Will provide it for us. Be it a tiny matter or a big one, we NEED to leave our trust on Allah after knowing the meaning of what we say. Here I mention the Fatwa given by our Great Islamic Scholar of this era, Sheikh Ibn 'Uthaimeen (may Allah have mercy on him), regarding you question.

Sheikh Ibn 'Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The benefit of saying Bismillaah is that it conceals a person. The benefit of seeking refuge with Allaah is that one is turning to Allaah from evil and from the male and female devils, for this place is filthy (khabeeth) and a filthy place is the abode of those who are evil (khubatha’). So it is the abode ofthe devils. Thus it is appropriate if one wants to enter the toilet to say “A’oodhu Billaah min al-khubthi wa’l-khabaa’ith (I seek refuge with Allaah from evil and from the male and female devils)” so that he will not be harmed by evil or by the evil souls.
Al-Sharh al-Mumti', 1/83.

Hope it helps sister.

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
@Isra,I'm happy you're married to a maroccan man,because I'm too married to maroccan man:)
seriously,by personal experience jinn live in dirty places like bathrooms,yes,and they can possess somebody in the darkness,because the darkness is their own world.in general humans fear the darkness and jinn enter to the body of those who easily get scared.But,as a respected sheikh told me,if in a muslim home it is said always Bismillah,then,no jinn can enter,neither in the bathroom.:wasalam:

Isra

aka Tree2008
Sister Isra, you should obey your husband even if you disagree with him on this issue as he wishes for your safety and well being. Therefore it would be wise to adjust accordingly and please your husband and save him from worry.

Jazakallah khairan my dear respected brother for your advice and your kindness in answering my question. May Allah reward you Ameen. I just wanted to say I actually DID obey my husband in this case as in all cases where he forbids me to do anything even if I dont agree because I do know for sure that Allah commands all wives obey their husbands. On that point I have no doubts. But thank you for reminding me brother.

wa salam

Isra

aka Tree2008
assalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh dear sister Isra

MashaAllah I am so happy to hear that you are married now alhamdhulillah! May Allah bless 3 of you, and keep you all steadfast in His Deen and make you all enter al-Firdausul A'la.

As per Morocco, from my little experience so far, I can strongly say that it is a place of "kindness and generosity". MashaAllah! :) Most of its people are just like scattered pearls on a clean floor. :)

Also, according to my Islamic Lecturers, Morocco is a place where many actions of Sihr (Black Majic) are done. If it is like that, its obvious that the Shirk Worshippers by doing Sihr (Black Majic), with Jinns will be high too.

Therefore, it could be possible that your husband is advicing you what he has learnt from childhood, and did that because he wish you all the safety and good sister. However, it is your duty to kindly and caringly open his mind little by little, towards the correct view on this matter. However, if he keeps refusing to believe what you brings on the matter, keep obeying him because he is not calling you for something Haram inshaAllah. :)

Jazakallah khairan dear brother for your good wishes and dua in regards to my marriage!

I agree with everything you said about Morocco as well. I have been here since August of 2010 and although what you said about the people here being kind and generous is VERY TRUE it is also very true regarding what you said about black magic being practiced here alot apparently.

On one hand I am very lucky because I dont speak the language so I am pretty much cut off from everyone but my husband so I live a life in complete peace from the outside world Alhamdulillah. On the other hand though my husband DOES understand of course since he was born here and he seems tortured by things he has learned since his childhood!!! He is ALWAYS warning me about black magic and "bad eyes"!!! He truely believes in all of it where I am not too sure about ANY of it. I am not a fool and I know those things do exist but what I am not so sure about is whether or not they can affect a person if that person chooses NOT to put power into it by believing in it. As one sister said about her mother being afraid of the dark. I have been TERRIFIED of the dark ever since I was a small child and I cant stand total darkness so thanks to that dear sisters post now I understand my fear. I was never told any of these things so I guess in that way I am a bit naive! My main belief has always been and will remain that if I do the right thing and I worship Allah alone he will protect me from these bad things so honestly since becoming a Muslim I have not been afraid of the dark anymore and for the first time in my life I am actually able to sleep in complete darkness Alhamdulillah. That is only because I believe Allah will protect me.

A couple times since I have lived here I woke up in the night and there was not even a sliver of light in the room and I felt afraid but I said "Aoodu billahi minashaitan iragime" 3 times then I said in English "Oh big fear I have a GREAT Allah" and the fear was instantly gone. I say these words whenever I feel afraid and it really works for me.

Jazakallah khairan for sending me the answer to my question dear brother and may Allah reward you for your kindness Ameen

wa salam

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Jazakallah khairan my dear respected brother for your advice and your kindness in answering my question. May Allah reward you Ameen. I just wanted to say I actually DID obey my husband in this case as in all cases where he forbids me to do anything even if I dont agree because I do know for sure that Allah commands all wives obey their husbands. On that point I have no doubts. But thank you for reminding me brother.

wa salam

Wa Iyyaki.

May Allah azz zawajal bless you and your family. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Isra

aka Tree2008
Jazakallah khairan to sisters ShahnazZ and hayat84 for their comments as well. May Allah reward all who answered my question Ameen

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
A couple times since I have lived here I woke up in the night and there was not even a sliver of light in the room and I felt afraid but I said "Aoodu billahi minashaitan iragime" 3 times then I said in English "Oh big fear I have a GREAT Allah" and the fear was instantly gone. I say these words whenever I feel afraid and it really works for me.

Jazakallah khairan for sending me the answer to my question dear brother and may Allah reward you for your kindness Ameen

wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullahi waabarakatuh

Ameen Wa Iyyaki sister. The words I made font size bigger up there really made me smile with Joy. So true words!

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

arzafar

before you enter the washroom/bathroom recite the dua posted by bro ibnadam than nothing will happen.

muslimshabs

asalamu alaikum...

I was also concerned about this matter of jinns and the most important part that they can see us, see our awrah while we do not know... subhanallah alhamdillilah there are actually some duas to save you from jinns in bathroom and while you are alone in a room...

The dwelling-places of the jinn

The jinn live on this earth where we do. They are mostly to be found in ruins and unclean places like bathrooms, dunghills, garbage dumps and graveyards. Hence, the Prophet :saw: taught us to take precautions when entering such places, by reciting the Athkaar (supplications) prescribed by Islam. One of these was reported by Anas Ibn Maalik (R.A) who said: "When the Messenger of Allaah :saw: used to relieve himself, he would say: "Allaahumma inni a'oothu bika min al-khubuthi wa'l-khabaa'ith (O Allaah, I seek refuge with You from the evil ones, male and female).'" [Al-Bukhaari]

Protection from the harm of the jinn

Because the jinn can see us while we cannot see them, the Prophet :saw: taught us many ways to protect ourselves from their harm, such as seeking refuge with Allaah from the accursed Shaytaan (Satan), reciting chapters Al-Falaq and An-Naas (the last two chapters of the Quran), and reciting the words taught by Allaah in the Quran (which mean): "And say, “My Lord, I seek refuge in You from the incitements of the devils. And I seek refuge in You, my Lord, lest they be present with me." [Quran 23:97-98]

Saying Bismillaah (in the Name of Allaah) before entering one's home, before eating or drinking, and before having intercourse with one's spouse will also keep the devil from entering the house or partaking with a person in his food, drink and sexual activity.

Similarly, mentioning the name of Allaah before entering the toilet or taking off one's clothes will prevent the jinn from seeing a person's private parts or harming him, as the Prophet :saw: said: "To put a barrier that will prevent the jinn from seeing the 'Awrah (parts of the body that must be covered in Islam) of the Children of Aadam, let any one of you say 'Bismillaah' when entering the toilet." [At-Tirmithi]

Strength of faith and religion in general will also prevent the jinn from harming a person, so much so that if they were to fight, the one who has faith would win. 'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'ood(R.A) said: "A man from among the Companions of Muhammad :saw: met a male jinn. They wrestled, and the man knocked down the jinn. The man said to him, 'You look small and skinny to me, and your forearms look like the front paws of a dog. Do all the jinn look like this, or only you?' He said, 'No, by Allaah, among them I am strong, but let us wrestle again, and if you defeat me I will teach you something that will do you good.' The man said, 'Fine.' He (the jinn) said, 'Recite (the verse, which means): "Allaah- there is no deity except Him, the Ever- Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence …" [Quran 2: 255]

The man said, 'Fine.' He said, 'You will never recite this in your house but the Satan will come out of it like a donkey breaking wind, and he will never come back in until the next morning.'" [Ad-Daarimi]