Question about Mahram?

zahrany

MAY~u~B~HPPI~!4EVER!
Assalamu Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh to all of you out there.
I have a question, if a girl doesn't live with her father, brother or uncle ( meaning they're far apart) who can be her mahram.
Is it the closest person to her from the family? men or women?
Jazakumullahu khair
Thanks for reading. :shymuslima1:

Peony Weed

I'll try to my best to answer this in a structural and simple understanding, insyaAllah. I did so after some googling of articles on my local Islamic body site.

Other's may correct me if I'm wrong. If there's any lack of accuracy in the info is my fault, the good comes from Allah

Well, basically Muslim's women are mahram to each other...but other than that there are few categories as listed below:

1. Mahram based on ties of blood (Nasab)
- Her grandparents and above (like great grandparents and before them)
- Birth parents
- Uncles/aunts (exclude their male spouses )from both father/mother's side and their children and grandchildren and so on (nephews, nieces)
- Her own children and grandchildren and afterwards

2. Mahram by marriage
- Her in-laws and above (in-laws parents, grandparents and before them)
- Son & Daughter in-laws
- Stepfather (after he had married and consummate with her wife of which is the woman's mother)
- Stepson and below (only after the woman had married and consummate with the son's father)

3. Mahram By Breastfeeding or Rada
- The breast milk mother and her husband to the fed child
- The breast milk mother's and husband's parents to the fed child.
- The breast milk mother's and husband's siblings to the fed child
- The breast milk mother's children and after to the fed child
- The fed son/daughter's and their children and after only (the child's blood father and uncles and before them are not mahram to the breast milk mother)

the requirement to be a mahram by Rada/Breast milk fed are:
* The woman is capable of producing breast milk and baligh.
* has fed the baby either by her own breast or bottle or any method to share the milk (like spoon or fingers)
* the baby must be below 2 yrs.
* The child must have been given the body milk and is fed separately a minimum of 5 times.
* The milk must be consumed by the baby that it becomes the food and not for other reason like for bathing and other external purpose.

Hope it helps ya!

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Simply, whoever she can't lawfully marry him is her mahram except sister's husband because he is under temporary mahram category i.e as long as the sister still in marriage with him the girl can't live with him.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
- Uncles/aunts (exclude their male spouses )from both father/mother's side and their children and grandchildren and so on (nephews, nieces)

:salam2:

Could you elaborate on this one, please? Because while my brother's children will be my mahrams, my uncle's children aka cousins are non-mahram.

Peony Weed

Could you elaborate on this one, please? Because while my brother's children will be my mahrams, my uncle's children aka cousins are non-mahram.

Hmmm maybe the way I wrote it was a bit confusing there, was referring it in a woman's perspective.

The mahram uncle & aunts is only referring to the paternal & maternal ones and not their married spouse (except if the spouse is a woman)...but their offsprings (both on paternal/maternal uncle & aunt's side and afterwards which includes your cousins and nieces and onwards will be your mahram.

Hope that'll clear it off. You may refer to this chart if it helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mahrams_Chart.png

Wassalam.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

But sis, cousins *arent'* mahram. At all. One can marry their cousins. I took a look at the chart, and it doesn't list cousins as mahram either. Maybe you're interpreting it incorrectly - I know its confusing.

Peony Weed

But sis, cousins *arent'* mahram. At all. One can marry their cousins. I took a look at the chart, and it doesn't list cousins as mahram either. Maybe you're interpreting it incorrectly - I know its confusing.

ok, now i'm confused to after taking a close look at the chart :SMILY27: ...or I myself confused with the term cousin. But I believe you're right, the mahram is the relation of the same level of your parents and and before them like grandparents..so to conclude cousin is not mahram. Thanks for correcting that sis

zahrany

MAY~u~B~HPPI~!4EVER!
Thanks Peony Weed for your effort, but this is confusing. I live with my cousin and I dont consider him as my mahram.
Also, I live with one of my parent's cousins, could they be my Mahram???

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Thanks Peony Weed for your effort, but this is confusing. I live with my cousin and I dont consider him as my mahram.
Also, I live with one of my parent's cousins, could they be my Mahram???

:salam2: sis,

Neither your cousin nor your parent's cousins are your mahram.

Peony Weed

:salam2: sis,

Neither your cousin nor your parent's cousins are your mahram.

Thanks for correcting me Tabassum07. am glad i look into this question, i never knew it myself that my cousin is not a mahram...

But I am relearning things, no one in the family ever highlighted this. So It's part of ignorance maybe and since now i start to cover myself up, I know now how to dress properly if i'm staying out at my uncle/aunt's place coz my cuzzie live with them. :)

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2: Your welcome, sis. Yes, its a common misconception in the muslim world where lots of time freemixing between cousins goes on - something we all should be aware of, and put a stop to as much as we can.