Question about the Injil

tldukr

I am a Christian who is earnestly seeking to learn more about Islam. I just ordered a Qur'an and am seeking to expand my knowledge. I am not here for arguments or polemics, but an open dialogue about the Islamic faith. I have a couple questions, which I would like you all to answer, please. They are:

Why does the Qur'an refer to the Gospel or Injil as if it is one book, when at the time of Muhammad there existed the four canonical Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) in the Christian Bible and many more apocraphal texts and so-called Gospels besides?

If there was one Gospel, what happened to it? Is there any historical record of such a thing (besides the Diatessaron?)

mhamzah

I am a Christian who is earnestly seeking to learn more about Islam. I just ordered a Qur'an and am seeking to expand my knowledge. I am not here for arguments or polemics, but an open dialogue about the Islamic faith. I have a couple questions, which I would like you all to answer, please. They are:

Why does the Qur'an refer to the Gospel or Injil as if it is one book, when at the time of Muhammad there existed the four canonical Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) in the Christian Bible and many more apocraphal texts and so-called Gospels besides?

If there was one Gospel, what happened to it? Is there any historical record of such a thing (besides the Diatessaron?)

Hello and Welcome to TT1. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Coming to your questions;

First of all the Arabic version of the Bible was not present at the time of Prophet Muhummad (pbuh). The earliest Arabic version of the Old Testament is that of R. Saadias Gaon of 900 C.E. - more than 250 years after the death of the Prophet (pbuh). The oldest Arabic version of the new Testament was published by Erpenius in 1616 C.E. - about a thousand years after the demise of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Why does the Qur'an refer to the Gospel or Injil as if it is one book.

What the Gospels Mean to Muslims

http://www.geocities.com/alummah2000/WhatBibleMeansToMuslims.html

The difference between Christianity and Islam regarding the BOOK:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/islamonrise/gary_book.html

Hope that answers yours questions;

Bye for now.

muslimah_mtl

AlhamduliLlah

Hello and welcome to TTI

Sheikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taimiyyah (661-728 AH) says:
The Torah and the Injil that are present nowadays are not those that were presented by the prophets Moses and Jesus (peace be upon them both). The transmission of the Torah was discontinued when Jerusalem was ruined and the children of Israel were evacuated. It was mentioned that the person who dictated it to them was a man called 'Uzir (Ezra). Some people claimed he was a prophet but others say that he was not a prophet and that a copy of the Torah had been compared to an old copy found with him. It was also said that a copy was brought from Morocco. But all these tales do not prove that the words of this Torah are authentic, nor do they disprove the mistakes in some of them, as was the case in other books copied by more than one person.

It is acknowledged by Christians themselves that the Injil in their hands these days, was not written by the Christ (peace be upon him) or even dictated directly by Christ to one of his scribes. In fact, it was dictated by Matthew and John, two of the disciples of Christ, after he (peace be upon him) left the world, for they had accompanied him. It was not known, let alone memorized, by many people.

It was also written by Mark and Luke, who had not even seen Christ (peace be upon him). These two books mentioned some of the words of Christ and some of his stories but they do not comprise his exact speech or actions.

It is likely that the transmission of two, three or four persons may contain some mistakes. They committed a previous mistake regarding Christ himself when they confused him with the man who had been crucified.
What we mean here is that Christians do not have a reliable authentic transmission from Christ concerning the exact wordings of the Injil or a reliable transmission for most of their religious laws. This is also applicable to the Jews who also do not have authentic transmission for the wordings of the Torah or the prophecies of their prophets. On the other hand, Muslims have authentic clear chains of transmitters for the Qur'an and the Sunnah, which contain facts known to non-specialized as well as specialized people.
(Ibn Taimiyyah, Al-Gawab Al-Sahih, 1/310) published by Dar al-Hadith, Cairo.

Ibn Kathir (701-773 AH), the student/disciple of Ibn Taimiyyah, says:

Our Sheikh the notable Imam Abul-'Abbas Ibn Taimiyyah said: As for those who argued that it [the Torah] is entirely corrupted from beginning to end without sparing one letter, they are mistaken. Also, those who argued that nothing has been corrupted are mistaken. The truth is that alteration and change had reached it and they [the Jews] manipulated its words with additions and omissions as they manipulated its meanings. This is well recognized on pondering and may be explained in another occasion, and Allah knows best....

I [Ibn Kathir] say: As for the Arabic Torah in their hands, no sane person doubts its alteration, textual corruption, change of stories and words, additions and obvious clear omissions. Glaring lies and extreme errors are so abundant in it. As regards what they recite with their tongues and write with their pens, we have no access to, but it is assumed they are dishonest liars who frequently invent forgeries against Allah, His Messengers and Books.

As for Christians, their four Gospels on authority of Marks, Luke, Matthew and John are much more divergent and different by addition and omission than the Torah. They disobeyed the rulings of the Torah and the Injil in so many things they legalized for themselves.
(Ibn Kathir, Al-Bidayah wa Al-Nihayah, 2/152-153) published by Dar al-Hadith, Cairo, 5th edition, ISBN 977-5227-18-6

More than one person stated that the Injil was transmitted by four person: Luke, Matthew, Marks and John. These Gospels are greatly divergent regarding each copy with additions and omissions. These four persons include two persons who had seen the Christ, they are Matthew and John, and two persons who are companions of his companions, they are Marks and Luke.
(Ibid., 2/102)

and says:
They disputed in transmission of the Gospels into four records with additions, omissions, corruption and alteration.
(ibid., 2/103)

Sulaiman ibn Abdul-Qawi al-Tufi (657-716 AH), the student/disciple of Ibn Taimiyyah, notes:
Be acknowledged that these Scriptures [of Jews and Christians] are unreliable because we consider them corrupted and changed. Yes, alteration have not involved them entirely, but reached them after all. That is why our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: (( Do not believe the People of the Book and do not deny them. Say: "We believe in Allah and what has been revealed to us and what has been revealed to you. Our God and your God is One, and to Him we have submitted.'' )).
He prohibited believing them for fear of that they may tell us something that is definitely corrupted, and disbelieving them for fear of that it may be not corrupted.
(Sulaiman ibn Abdul-Qawi al-Tufi, Al-Intesarat Al-Islamiyyah, 1/230-232)

and says:
Moreover, the same way they [i.e., Jews and Christians] do not consider our Book reliable, we do not consider their Books reliable. This is actually prior because their Books are older and much subjected to mistranslation on the contrary of our Book.
(ibid., 1/232)

and says:
Additions and omissions do not reach it [the Qur'an] on the contrary of the Torah and the Injil as I have seen myself in the two Scriptures regarding contradiction and discrepency and noted in my commentary on the two Scriptures.
(ibid., 1/294)

and says:
We believe that the Qur'an is the truth, and the Torah whom you use against us, not the one given to Moses, is falsehood and fabrication.
(ibid., 1/341)

and says:
The general answer is lack of trust in these Scriptures due to their antiquity, translation from one language to another and suspicion in honesty of Jews and Christians [in preservation] especially regarding the Injil for I explained in my commentary on it our excuses of non-trust in it concerning difference and contradiction.
(ibid., 1/350)

Al-Tufi is the author of "Ta'aliq ala Al-Anajil", i.e., Commentary on the Gospels, in which he explained that the Gospels in hands of Christians are not the Injil revealed to Jesus (peace be upon him). They are merely stories from his biography written by those whose names are mentioned in the beginnings of these Gospels, so they are actually their words, not God's, in addition to few words of Jesus (peace be upon him). They actually admit that these Gospels are not inspired.
Then, he noted that if Jesus (peace be upon him) saw what they wrote about him, he would pray to Allah to turn them into monkeys and pigs! (confer pages 2, 3, 6, 7, .. etc..)

massi

Hi Mr.tldukr

The Gospels that are extant nowadays were written after the time of ‘Eesa (peace be upon him) and have been tampered with a great deal
It is well known among us Muslims that Allaah revealed the Gospel (Injeel) to ‘Eesa (peace be upon him), but when I studied some things about Christianity, they told me that the Gospel was not brought by the Messiah, rather it was written by the disciples of the Messiah after the crucifixion (or after Allaah raised him up to Him, as it says in the Qur’aan). How can we reconcile between the two views?.

Praise be to Allaah.
There is no contradiction between the two views such that we would need to ask how they can be reconciled. Rather the reason why the questioner is confused is that he is mixing up two things that we must believe in and that are both true, praise be to Allaah.

The first issue is the Gospel that was revealed from the Lord of the Worlds to the Prophet of Allaah ‘Eesa (peace be upon him). Belief that Allaah revealed a Book to His Prophet ‘Eesa and that the name of this book was the Gospel (Injeel), are basic principles of faith that we must believe in. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The Messenger (Muhammad) believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers. Each one believes in Allaah, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. (They say,) ‘We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers’ — and they say, ‘We hear, and we obey. (We seek) Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return (of all)’”

[al-Baqarah 2:285]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to Jibreel, when he asked him about faith, as mentioned in the well-known hadeeth: “Faith means to believe in Allaah, His angels, His books, His messengers, the Last Day, and to believe in His divine will and decree, both good and bad.” (Agreed upon).

Disbelieving in that or doubting it is misguidance and kufr or disbelief in Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Believe in Allaah, and His Messenger (Muhammad), and the Book (the Qur’aan) which He has sent down to His Messenger, and the Scripture which He sent down to those before (him); and whosoever disbelieves in Allaah, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers, and the Last Day, then indeed he has strayed far away.

137. Verily, those who believe, then disbelieve, then believe (again), and (again) disbelieve, and go on increasing in disbelief; Allaah will not forgive them, nor guide them on the (right) way”

[al-Nisa’ 4:136-137]

“Verily, those who disbelieve in Allaah and His Messengers and wish to make distinction between Allaah and His Messengers (by believing in Allaah and disbelieving in His Messengers) saying, “We believe in some but reject others,” and wish to adopt a way in between.

151. They are in truth disbelievers. And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating torment”

[al-Nisa’ 4:150-151]

The second issue is the Gospel or, more precisely, the Gospels that the Christians have today. Although one of the basic principles of our faith is to believe in the Gospel that was revealed to ‘Eesa, we also believe that there is no longer any book that remained as it was revealed by Allaah, neither the Gospel nor anything else, apart from the Qur’aan. Even the Christians themselves do not believe that the books that they have before them were revealed in that form from God, nor do they claim that the Messiah wrote the Gospel or at least that it was written during his lifetime. Imam Ibn Hazm (may Allaah have mercy on him) says in al-Fasl fi’l-Milal (2/2):
We do not need to try hard to prove that the Gospels and all the books of the Christians did not come from God or from the Messiah (peace be upon him), as we needed to do with regard to the Torah and the books attributed to the Prophets that the Jews have, because the Jews claim that the Torah that they have was revealed from God to Moosa, so we needed to establish proof that this claim of theirs is false. With regard to the Christians, they have taken care of the issue themselves, because they do not believe that the Gospels were revealed from God to the Messiah, or that the Messiah brought them, rather all of them from first to last, peasants and kings, Nestorians, Jacobites, Maronites and Orthodox are all agreed that there are four historical accounts written by four known men at different times. The first of them is the account written by Matthew the Levite who was a disciple of the Messiah, nine years after the Messiah was taken up into heaven. He wrote it in Hebrew in Judaea in Palestine, and it filled approximately twenty-eight pages in a medium-sized script. The next account was written by Mark, a disciple of Simon ben Yuna, who was called Peter, twenty-two years after the Messiah was taken up into heaven. He wrote it in Greek in Antioch in the land of the Byzantines. They say that the Simon mentioned is the one who wrote it, then he erased his name from the beginning of it and attributed it to his disciple Mark. It filled twenty-four pages written in a medium-sized script. This Simon was a disciple of the Messiah. The third account written was that of Luke, a physician of Antioch who was also a disciple of Simon Peter. He wrote it in Greek after Mark had written his account, and is similar in length to the Gospel of Matthew. The fourth account was written by John the son of Zebedee, another disciple of the Messiah, sixty-odd years after the Messiah has been taken up into heaven. He wrote it in Greek, and it filled twenty-four pages in a medium-sized script. End quote.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said in al-Jawaab al-Saheeh (3:21):

With regard to the Gospels that the Christians have, there are four Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are agreed that Luke and Mark did not see the Messiah, rather he was seen by Matthew and John. These four accounts which they call the Gospel, and they call each one of them a Gospel, were written by these men after the Messiah had been taken up into heaven. They did not say that they are the word of God or that the Messiah conveyed them from God, rather they narrated some of the words of the Messiah and some of his deeds and miracles. End quote.

Moreover, these books which were written after the time of the Messiah did not remain in their original form. The original versions were lost long ago. Ibn Hazm said:

With regard to the Christians, there is no dispute among them or anyone else that only one hundred and twenty men believed in the Messiah during his lifetime… and all of those who believed in him concealed themselves and were afraid during his lifetime and afterwards; they called people to his religion in secret and none of them disclosed himself or practised his religion openly, because any of them who was caught was executed.

They continued in this manner, not showing themselves at all, and they had no place where they were safe for three hundred years after the Messiah was taken up into heaven.

During this time, the Gospel that had been revealed from Allaah disappeared, apart from a few verses which Allaah preserved as proof against them and as a rebuke to them, as we have mentioned. Then when the Emperor Constantine became a Christian, then the Christians prevailed and started to practise their religion openly and assemble in safety.

If a religion is like this, with its followers practicing it in secret and living in constant fear of the sword, it is impossible for things to be transmitted soundly via a continuous chain of narrators and its followers cannot protect it or prevent it from being distorted.

End quote. Al-Fasl, 2/4-5.

In addition to this huge disruption in the chain of transmission of their books, which lasted for two centuries, these books did not remain in the languages in which they were originally written, rather they were translated, more than once, by people whose level of knowledge and honesty is unknown. The contradictions in these books and their shortcomings are among the strongest evidence that they have been distorted and that they are not the Gospel (Injeel) that Allaah revealed to His slave and Messenger ‘Eesa (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Allaah indeed spoke the truth when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“Had it been from other than Allaah, they would surely, have found therein many a contradiction”

[al-Nisa’ 4:82].

tldukr

Thanks for the quick replies and I will be continuing research. On the origins of the Qur'an and it's relationship with the Gospels and the Old Testament writings. I am stumbling over there ever existing one Injil and that it was Christ's mission to give the people of the world a book of God's teachings.

What does Islam say of the Prophecies of the Jewish scriptures and Christ's fulfillment of them? Do y'all believe that they are fabrications?

Also just a note, massi thank you for your well-formed answer, but can you please write in smaller letters. The large letters make the discourse longer and the brightness of the letters strains the eyes. Thank you.

But to get to what you were saying, the Christians, the early one's at least did not believe that Christ came to bring them any book from God, but that he came to show them the way of salvation through his teachings and example. The early Christians relied heavily on the Jewish scriptures, especially in terms of prayer.

It seems to me that every time that Allah of Islam sends a messenger he gives him some book. Am I mistaken? If so, why? Is this the way he chooses to reveal himself?

Thanks again to all of you!

:)

massi

Thanks for the quick replies and I will be continuing research. On the origins of the Qur'an and it's relationship with the Gospels and the Old Testament writings. I am stumbling over there ever existing one Injil and that it was Christ's mission to give the people of the world a book of God's teachings.

What does Islam say of the Prophecies of the Jewish scriptures and Christ's fulfillment of them? Do y'all believe that they are fabrications?

Also just a note, massi thank you for your well-formed answer, but can you please write in smaller letters. The large letters make the discourse longer and the brightness of the letters strains the eyes. Thank you.

But to get to what you were saying, the Christians, the early one's at least did not believe that Christ came to bring them any book from God, but that he came to show them the way of salvation through his teachings and example. The early Christians relied heavily on the Jewish scriptures, especially in terms of prayer.

It seems to me that every time that Allah of Islam sends a messenger he gives him some book. Am I mistaken? If so, why? Is this the way he chooses to reveal himself?

I edit the color and letters , I hope it's all right :lol:
1* why you are stablemen ?? the answer is very simple : the quran talks about the true injil which revealed to Jesus Christ not the
unknowing writers in several places out of Jerusalem after the event of the crucifix by years !!
(like the gospel of mark maybe 60 ) and so on !!!
2* which prophecies you are talking about ?
there are prophecies Jesus will be rescued , the prophet Mohammad will come peace be upon them !!
3*no God has send Jesus with the Injil ( which many the good news)
4* Belief in the Books and Messengers

muslimah_mtl

AlhamduliLlah

You're welcome.

{Among those who received Books, were the four mentioned in the Glorious Qur'an: Moses, David, Jesus and Muhammad (peace be on them all). The Books were the Tawrah (Torah) given to Moses (Musa), The Zaboor (Psalms) given to David (Dawud), the Injeel (Gospel) given to Jesus (`Isa) and the Qur'an given to Muhammad (peace be upon them all).

Apart from these, Abraham (Ibrahim) is mentioned as the recipient of suhuf or scrolls.

All the teachings contained in the former Scriptures that were meant to be of lasting value and importance are included in the Qur'an. The Qur'an also gives some accounts, although selective, of what the earlier scriptures contained.}

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...kAboutIslamE/AskAboutIslamE&cid=1157365884857

{THE BOOKS OF ALLAH (The Divine Scriptures):
The Divine Scriptures (Books of Allah) are big and small. They were revealed to the Prophets. The big ones are called the Books, and the small ones are known as the Scrolls (Sahifas). The four famous Divine Books, and who are the Prophets upon whom these were revealed?

The Holy Taurat (Torah) was revealed to Prophet Musa (Moses) (Peace be upon him).

The Holy Zabur (Psalms) was revealed to Prophet Da'ud (David) (Peace be upon him).

The Holy Injil (The New Testament) was revealed to Prophet Isa (Jesus) (Peace be upon him), and the;

The Holy Qur'an, was revealed to our Holy Prophet Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him).

The exact number of the Divine Scrolls (Sahifas) is not known. Nevertheless, some of them were revealed to Prophet Adam (Peace be on him), some to Prophet Sheeth (Peace be on him) and some to Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham), peace be on him. Apart from theses there are other Scrolls that were revealed to some other prophets.}

http://www.central-mosque.com/aqeedah/essentialbeliefs.htm

tldukr

Thanks Ayman, Muslimah, and Massi.

What I have gathered from each of your responses is that God sent his word and law for man to abide by. Man screwed it up two times. So God sent his final prophet, Muhammad to bring the greatest of all scriptures, which seems to rehash (or revive) what had been marred or tampered with at his first two attempts. I am a rational being and to accept things, solely on the basis of faith is difficult for me. So what I am finding difficult is that the people of the other books changed God's message. I am having this problem because there are no transcripts or any originals.

It also seems that Christianity or Islam are not needed if Judaism had kept to the word of God and likewise if the Christians had kept to the Injil, no need for the Qur'an. My parallels may be misrepresentative of Islamic teachings, but the roort of my inquiry is must one accept the Qur'an solely on the basis of faith or can the Qur'an be proven?

I hope you understand what I am trying to say and I hope that my words aren't offensive.

massi

Thanks Ayman, Muslimah, and Massi.

What I have gathered from each of your responses is that God sent his word and law for man to abide by. Man screwed it up two times. So God sent his final prophet, Muhammad to bring the greatest of all scriptures, which seems to rehash (or revive) what had been marred or tampered with at his first two attempts. I am a rational being and to accept things, solely on the basis of faith is difficult for me. So what I am finding difficult is that the people of the other books changed God's message. I am having this problem because there are no transcripts or any originals.

It also seems that Christianity or Islam are not needed if Judaism had kept to the word of God and likewise if the Christians had kept to the Injil, no need for the Qur'an. My parallels may be misrepresentation of Islamic teachings, but the roort of my inquiry is must one accept the Qur'an solely on the basis of faith or can the Qur'an be proven?

I hope you understand what I am trying to say and I hope that my words aren't offensive.
Hi there
mmm you don't answer my questions ,I'm still waiting :lol:

however
1/it's not only two times or two men !!!
" ....The Books that Allaah has mentioned by name, we must believe in by name. These are the Books which Allaah has named in the Qur’aan, i.e., the Qur’aan, the Tawraat (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel), the Zaboor (Psalms), and the Scriptures of Ibraaheem and Moosa.
Those which Allaah has mentioned in general terms, we must believe in them in general terms, so we say concerning them what Allaah and His Messenger have commanded us to say:

“…say: “I believe in whatsoever Allaah has sent down of the Book [all the holy Books…]”

[al-Shoora 42:15 – interpretation of the meaning]... "

2/ the Quran prove himself by himself it's the word of God
Praise be to Allaah. Praise be to Allaah Who has made good dear to you; we ask Him to increase you in guidance and faith, and to guide your parents to practise Islam and adhere to its rulings.
With regard to the Quraan and the proof that it is the word of Allaah, these are specious arguments which were put forward out of stubbornness and arrogance by the first kaafirs to whom the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was sent. Allaah refuted what they said in many ways, proving their words to be false and pointing out what was wrong with it. For example:
1- This Quraan is challenge from Allaah to mankind and the jinn to produce anything like it, but they were unable to. Then He challenged them to produce only ten soorahs like it, and they were unable to. Then He challenged them to produce something like the shortest soorah in the Quraan, and they could not do it, even though those who were being challenged were the most eloquent and well-spoken of mankind, and the Quraan was revealed in their language. Yet despite that they stated that they were completely incapable of doing that. This challenge has remained down throughout history, but not one person has been able to produce anything like it. If this were the word of a human being, some people would have been able to produce something like it or close to it. There is a great deal of evidence for this challenge in the Quraan, for example, the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):
Say: If the mankind and the jinn were together to produce the like of this Quraan, they could not produce the like thereof, even if they helped one another ;
[al-Israa 17:88]
Allaah says, challenging them to produce just ten soorahs:
Or they say, He (Prophet Muhammad) forged it (the Quraan). Say: Bring you then ten forged Soorah (chapters) like unto it, and call whomsoever you can, other than Allaah (to your help), if you speak the truth!
[Hood 11:13 interpretation of the meaning]
Allaah says, challenging them to produce just one soorah:
And if you (Arab pagans, Jews, and Christians) are in doubt concerning that which We have sent down (i.e. the Quraan) to Our slave (Muhammad), then produce a Soorah (chapter) of the like thereof and call your witnesses (supporters and helpers) besides Allaah, if you are truthful
[al-Baqarah 2:23 interpretation of the meaning]

2- No matter how much knowledge and understanding mankind attains, they will still inevitably make mistakes, forget things or fall short. If the Quraan were not the word of Allaah, there would be some contradictions and shortcomings in it, as Allaah says:
Had it been from other than Allaah, they would surely, have found therein many a contradiction
[al-Nisa 4:82 interpretation of the meaning]
But it is free from any shortcoming, error or contradiction; indeed, all of it is wisdom, mercy and justice. Whoever thinks that there is any contradiction in it, that is because of his diseased thinking and mistaken understanding; if he refers to the scholars they will explain to him what is correct and clear up the confusion for him, as Allaah says:
Verily, those who disbelieved in the Reminder (i.e. the Quraan) when it came to them (shall receive the punishment). And verily, it is an honourable well fortified respected Book (because it is Allaahs Speech, and He has protected it from corruption).
Falsehood cannot come to it from before it or behind it, (it is) sent down by the All Wise, Worthy of all praise (Allaah)”
[Fussilat 41:41-42 interpretation of the meaning]

3- Allaah has guaranteed to preserve this Quraan, and He says:
Verily, We, it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Quraan) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption)”
[al-Hijr 15:9 interpretation of the meaning]
Every letter of it was transmitted by thousands from thousands down throughout history, and not one letter of it was altered. If any person tried to alter anything in it, or add something or take something away, then he would be exposed straight away, because Allaah is the One Who has guaranteed to preserve the Quraan, unlike the case with other divinely-revealed Books which Allaah revealed to the people of a particular Prophet only, and not to all of mankind, so He did not guarantee to preserve them, rather He delegated their preservation to the followers of the Prophets. But they did not preserve them, rather they introduced alterations and changes which distorted most of the meanings. The Quraan, on the other hand, was revealed by Allaah to all of mankind until the end of time, because the Message of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the final message, so the Quraan is preserved in mens hearts and in written form, as is proven by the events of history. How many people have tried to change the aayahs of the Quraan and deceive the Muslims, but they were quickly exposed and their falsehood was discovered, even by Muslim children.
Another of the definitive signs that this Quraan was not produced by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) but that it came revealed by Allaah to him is the following:
4- The great miracles which the Quraan contains of legislation, rulings, stories and beliefs, which could not be produced by any created being no matter how great his intelligence and level of understanding. No matter how hard people try to promulgate laws to regulate their lives, they can never succeed so long as they are far away from the teachings of the Quraan; the further away they are, the greater their rate of failure. This is something that has been proven by the kuffaar themselves.
5- Reports of matters of the unseen, both past and future, which no human being could speak of independently, no matter how great his knowledge, especially at that time which is regarded as primitive in terms of technology and modern tools. There are many things which had not been discovered yet, and which have only been discovered after lengthy and difficult exploration with the most modern equipment, but Allaah told us about them in the Quraan, and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) mentioned them, fifteen centuries ago, such as the stages of embryonic development, the nature of the oceans, etc. These things have made some kaafirs state that this could only have come from God, as in the case of the development of the embryo:
Only 60 years ago, researchers confirmed that man does not come into existence all at once, but rather he passes through stages of development one after another. Only 60 years ago, science discovered this one Quraanic fact.
Shaykh al-Zandaani said, we met an American professor, one of the greatest American scientists, whose name was Professor Marshall Johnson, and we told him that it says in the Qur’aan that man is created in stages. When he heard this, he was sitting down, but he stood up and said, Stages? We said, That was in the seventh century CE! This Book came and said, man was created in stages. He said, That is impossible, impossible We told him, Why do you say that? This Book says (interpretation of the meaning):
He creates you in the wombs of your mothers, creation after creation in three veils of darkness
[al-Zumar 39:6]
What is the matter with you, that [you fear not Allaah (His punishment), and] you hope not for reward (from Allaah or you believe not in His Oneness).
While He has created you in (different) stages
[Nooh 71:14]
Then he sat back down on his chair and after a few moments he said, There are only three possibilities. The first is that Muhammad had a huge microscope through which he managed to study these things and he knew things that the people did not know, and he said these things. The second is that this happened by accident, it was a coincidence. The third is that he was a Messenger from God. We said, With regard to the first idea, that he had a microscope and other equipment, you know that a microscope needs lenses, and lenses need glass and technical expertise and other equipment. Some of this information can only be discovered with an electron microscope which needs electricity, and electricity needs knowledge which should have been acquired by an earlier generation. It is not possible for this knowledge to have been acquired all at once in a single generation; the previous generation would have had to strive hard in developing science and transmitting it to the next generation, and so on. But for this to be the work of one man, with no one coming before him or after him, either in his own land or the neighbouring lands for the Romans, Persians and Arabs were ignorant and had no such equipment for one man to have all these instruments and tools which he did not pass on to anyone else this is not possible. He said, Thats right, it would be very difficult. We said, And for it to have been an accident or coincidence, what would you think if we said that the Quraan did not mention this fact only in one verse but in several verses, and that it did not refer to it in general terms but that it gave details of every stage, saying that in the first stage such and such happens, in the second stage such and such happens, in the third stage and so on. Could that be a coincidence? When we explained to him all the details of those stages, he said, It is wrong to say that this is an accident! This is well-founded knowledge. We said, Then how do you explain it? He said, There is no explanation except that this is revelation from above! nbsp;
With regard to the many statements in the Quraan concerning the sea, some of these facts were not discovered until very recently, and many of them are still unknown. For example, these facts were discovered after hundreds of marine stations had been set up, and after images had been taken by satellites. The one who said this was Professor Schroeder, one of the greatest oceanographers in West Germany. He used to say that if science advanced, religion would have to retreat. But when he heard the translation of the verses of the Quraan, he was stunned and said, These could not be the words of a human being. And Professor Dorjaro, a professor of oceanography, told us of the latest developments on science, when he heard the aayah:
Or (the state of a disbeliever) is like the darkness in a vast deep sea, overwhelmed with waves topped by waves, topped by dark clouds, (layers of) darkness upon darkness: if a man stretches out his hand, he can hardly see it! And he for whom Allaah has not appointed light, for him there is no light
[al-Noor 24:40 interpretation of the meaning]
He said, In the past, man could not dive to a depth of more than twenty meters because he had no special equipment. But now we can dive to the bottom of the ocean, using modern equipment, and we find intense darkness at a depth of two hundred meters. The aayah says a vast deep sea . The discoveries in the depths of the sea give us an understanding of the aayah, (layers of) darkness upon darkness. It is known that there are seven colours in the spectrum, including red, yellow, blue, green, orange, etc. When we dive down into the depths of the ocean, these colours disappear one after another, and the disappearance of each colour results in more darkness. Red disappears first, then orange, then yellow the last colour to disappear is blue, at a depth of two hundred meters. Each colour that disappears adds to the darkness until it reaches total darkness. With regard to the phrase waves topped by waves, it has been proven scientifically that there is a separation between the upper and lower parts of the ocean, and that this separation is filled with waves, as if there are waves on the edge of the dark, lower portion of the sea, which we do not see, and there are waves on the shores of the sea, which we do see. So it is as if there are waves above waves. This is a confirmed scientific fact, hence Professor Dorjaro said concerning these Quraanic verses, that this cannot be human knowledge.
(See al-Adillah al-Maadiyyah ala Wujood-Allaah by Muhammad Mitwalli al-Sharaawi)
And there are very many such examples
6- In the Quraan there are some aayahs which rebuke the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and mention some things to which Allaah drew his attention. Some of them may have been embarrassing for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). But if this Quraan had come from the Messenger of Allaah, there would have been no need for this; if he were to conceal any part of the Quraan, he would have concealed some of these verses which contained rebukes or drew his attention to certain matters which he should not have done, such as the verse in which Allaah says to His Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him):
But you did hide in yourself (i.e. what Allaah has already made known to you that He will give her to you in marriage) that which Allaah will make manifest, you did fear the people (i.e., their saying that Muhammad married the divorced wife of his manumitted slave) whereas Allaah had a better right that you should fear Him
[al-Ahzaab 33:37 interpretation of the meaning]
After this, can there be any doubt left in the mind of any intelligent person that this Quraan is the word of Allaah, and that the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) conveyed that which was revealed to him in full?

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

mhamzah

Hi,

What I have gathered from each of your responses is that God sent his word and law for man to abide by. Man screwed it up two times.

Allah swt did not just send down two books, rather every nation was send down a warner (Messenger or Prophet).

Indeed, We have sent you with the truth as a bringer of good tidings and a warner. And there was no nation but that there had passed within it a warner. (Quran 35:24)

Mankind was [of] one religion [before their deviation]; then Allah sent the prophets as bringers of good tidings and warners and sent down with them the Scripture in truth to judge between the people concerning that in which they differed. And none differed over the Scripture except those who were given it - after the clear proofs came to them - out of jealous animosity among themselves. And Allah guided those who believed to the truth concerning that over which they had differed, by His permission. And Allah guides whom He wills to a straight path. (2:213}

So God sent his final prophet, Muhammad to bring the greatest of all scriptures, which seems to rehash (or revive) what had been marred or tampered with at his first two attempts.[/COLOR]

Muslims don't make distinction between the previous books send down by Allah swt nor do we make any distinction amongst the Prophet (pbut).

Say, “We believe in Allah and in that which was revealed to us, as well as that which was revealed to Ibraheem, Ismail, Ishaque, and Yaqub and the tribes. (We believe in) that which was conferred by their Lord upon Musa, Jesus and the (other) prophets. We do not make any distinction among them. We have submitted to Him.” (3:84)

My parallels may be misrepresentative of Islamic teachings, but the roort of my inquiry is must one accept the Qur'an solely on the basis of faith or can the Qur'an be proven?[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Quran does not demand belief, the Quran invites belief. It is not simply delivered as: here is what you are to believe, but throughout the Quran the statements are always: Have you O man thought of such and such, have you considered so and so. It is always an invitation for you to look at the evidence; now what you believe.

The Amazing Qur'an

http://members.lycos.co.uk/islamonrise/amazing_q.html

The Basis of Muslim Belief

http://www.themodernreligion.com/essays_Gary_Miller.htm

No, they were by no means offensive, just ask any question you have in mind, and brothers and sister here will be more than happy to reply back, to the best of their abilities.

tldukr

I edit the color and letters , I hope it's all right :lol:
1* why you are stablemen ?? the answer is very simple : the quran talks about the true injil which revealed to Jesus Christ not the
unknowing writers in several places out of Jerusalem after the event of the crucifix by years !!
(like the gospel of mark maybe 60 ) and so on !!!
2* which prophecies you are talking about ?
there are prophecies Jesus will be rescued , the prophet Mohammad will come peace be upon them !!
3*no God has send Jesus with the Injil ( which many the good news)
4* Belief in the Books and Messengers

Sorry about not answering you questions Massi. I was trying to fit all of the responses into one post. So I basically summarized what you all said. To answer your questions:

1. I am having trouble believing the Qur'an because it is 600 years removed from the actual time Christ lived, while the Gospels are only decades removed.

2.The prophecies I am referring to are:
Psalm 22-Christ's crucifixion and suffering
Micah 5:2-Jesus is born in Bethlehem
Isaiah 7:14-Jesus is born to a virgin
Isaiah 53:3-7-The rejection and sufferings of Jesus
Zechariah 9:9-Jesus rides into Jerusalem on a colt
There are many other prophecies about Jesus that were fulfilled by him in the scriptures.

mhamzah

Sorry about not answering you questions Massi. I was trying to fit all of the responses into one post. So I basically summarized what you all said. To answer your questions:

1. I am having trouble believing the Qur'an because it is 600 years removed from the actual time Christ lived, while the Gospels are only decades removed.

There are many other prophecies about Jesus that were fulfilled by him in the scriptures.

:salam2:

First of all where does Psalm 22 prophecied about the crucufiction of Jesus (pbuh).

And what about the Prophecy Jesus (pbuh) himself gave 'For as Jonah was in the belly of the whale so shall be the son of man, three days and three nights....'

:wasalam:

tldukr

Have you read Psalm 22?

The first line is the line that Christ invokes while he is on the cross, "My God, My God, why hast thou..."

Psalm 22:16-They have pierced my hands and feet.
22:18-They divided my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.
22:7-All who see me mock me.

massi

it's ok my friend

1* the quran comes to correct the Gospels which are full with contradictions, predictions , false teaching , false prophecies, plus the changing of the manuscript for years ....ect and the most important thing is : there is no original text .
2* the prophecies are not fit with Jesus as it suppose to be
the writer of Mark's Gospel choose this passage put it in his story
is he eyewitness of the crucifix or it's just stories where around the area !!
look to the whole passage :

6 But I am a worm, and not a man,
A reproach to men and despicable to the people.

is Jesus Christ a worm or despicable or it was someone else???like Judah !!

3*Micah 5:2-Jesus is born in Bethlehem
according to the two Gospels Luke an Matthew , it's a try to fit with some prophecies in the old testament , but it was so weak specially in Matthew Gospel (according to history facts about killing children )!!!
how ever read all the passage , Did Jesus rule something or be king ??? he was crusified as christian believe ...right ??
4*Isaiah 7:14-Jesus is born to a virgin
uh this is another story but it's weird Jesus never called Im·man´u·el !!
5* Isaiah 53:3-7-The rejection and sufferings of Jesus
here it talks about a man , not mentioned any name or as prophet , he just talk about someone who was suffering in front of eyes of people around him , plus did the people around this guy were believing he is punish by God or innocent one !!! plus he will be please in his last days and not crucified!!
6*Zechariah 9:9-Jesus rides into Jerusalem on a colt
this prophecy is so weird !!! rides on clot and ass !!! without talking about
the contradiction in the story !! Just trying to fit a prophecy which can't be for Jesus because he never been king !!

mhamzah

If you were to read the entire chapter, if the words in these verse were to prove anything, they would prove that the Servant will not be crucified because King David, who prayed those exact words for himself, never suffered through this experience and never got killed from his enemies. The text doesn't give any indication that Christ will actually die (that too based on the assumption it refers to Jesus, pbuh). O.T never prophesied the resurrection.

22:5 Unto Thee they cried, and were delivered, In Thee they trusted, and were not ashamed.

The text also seems to be speaking of metaphoric and symbolic style. Examples;

22:6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

22:20 The enemies are 'dogs'

What does Psaam 91 states:

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. (According to the Noble Quran and the original writings of the Disciples of Jesus, Jesus was not crucified, and he watched the crucifixion of the doomed person).

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling— even the LORD, who is my refuge-

10 then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. (If Jesus died on the cross and got buried, then his feet would've struck the ground and the stones on it from bringing him down, throwing him on the floor and burying him).

13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

You still didn't respond about the prophecy Jesus (pbuh) himself gave.

Jews have been looking into their texts far longer than the Christians have been and the concept of the Messiah dying for anyone sin is alien to them.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I copied these three prophecies because I can answer you regarding them..

The first we reject..COMPLETELY..as we believe Prophet Jesus (pbuh) was NOT crucified..he was ascended to heaven alive..

"And because of their saying: We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Allah's messenger - they slew him not nor crucified him, but it appeared so unto them; and lo! those who disagree concerning it are in doubt thereof; they have no knowledge thereof save pursuit of a conjecture; they slew him not for certain". [Annissa'a, 4:157]

and we are waiting for him to comeback..defeat the Antichrist..kill the swine..and break the cross..and declare submission to The One God (i.e. Islam) as the one true religion..the person who was on the cross was NOT Jesus The Christ..it was ANOTHER man

The second one we accept..we do believe Prophet Jesus (pbuh) was born in Bethlehem..

The third we also accept..we believe in the miraculous birth of Prophet Jesus..and believe that he was born to a virgin mother who is a Queen of Paradise due to her piety..here are some verses from the Qura'an regarding this matter:

"(And remember) when the angels said: O Mary! Lo! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a word from him, whose name is the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, illustrious in the world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (unto Allah). He will speak unto mankind in his cradle and in his manhood, and he is of the righteous. She said: My Lord! How can I have a child when no mortal hath touched me? He said: So (it will be). Allah createth what He will. If He decreeth a thing, He saith unto it only: Be! and it is". [Al-Imraan, 3:45-47]

And...

"And make mention of Mary in the Scripture, when she had withdrawn from her people to a chamber looking East, And had chosen seclusion from them. Then We sent unto her Our Spirit and it assumed for her the likeness of a perfect man. She said: Lo! I seek refuge in the Beneficent One from thee, if thou art Allah-fearing. He said: I am only a messenger of thy Lord, that I may bestow on thee a faultless son. She said: How can I have a son when no mortal hath touched me, neither have I been unchaste? He said: So (it will be). Thy Lord saith: It is easy for Me. And (it will be) that We may make of him a revelation for mankind and a mercy from Us, and it is a thing ordained". [Maryam, 19:16-21]

As for the other prophecies..I would like you to pardon me..because I cannot answer them due to my lack of familiarity with the verbatim text of the bible verses you have kindly noted..and thus will leave the chance for someone more knowledgable to answer them for you *correctly* :)

Peace

tldukr

:salam2:
And what about the Prophecy Jesus (pbuh) himself gave 'For as Jonah was in the belly of the whale so shall be the son of man, three days and three nights....'

:wasalam:

“Just as Jonah spent three days and three nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of Man spend three days and three nights in the bowels of the earth” (Matthew 12:40).

The Jews of Jesus day considered any part of a day as a whole day. Therefore, Jesus dying on Friday, spending all day Saturday in the tomb, and rising early Sunday morning would equal three day in their way of figuring. Another prophecy spoken by Jesus concerning his Resurrection was “Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up” (John 2:19).

mhamzah

Just as Jonah spent three days and three nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of Man spend three days and three nights in the bowels of the earth” (Matthew 12:40).

The Jews of Jesus day considered any part of a day as a whole day. Therefore, Jesus dying on Friday, spending all day Saturday in the tomb, and rising early Sunday morning would equal three day in their way of figuring. Another prophecy spoken by Jesus concerning his Resurrection was “Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up” (John 2:19).

We shall come to the second part of the Prophecy, lets deal with the first one, 'Just as Jonah spent three days and three nights in the belly of the whale'

How was Jonah in the belly of the whale. Dead or Alive

Time element for later.