Question: Collecting money after Khutbah

Ershad

Ibn Hazm said in “Al-Muhallā”, Vol. 3/129, “From ‘Ubaydillāh Ibn ‘Adī Ibn Al- Khayyār, that he entered upon ‘Uthmān, may Allāh be pleased with him, while he was confined, then he said to him, ‘Verily, you are the general Imām, and that which we see has befallen you, and an Imām of Fitnah is leading us in prayer, and we are uncomfortable.’ So ‘Uthmān said to him, ‘Verily, the Salāt is the best of what people perform, so if the people do good, then do good with them, and if they do bad, then avoid their evil.’

And Ibn ‘Umar used to pray behind Al-Hajjāj and Najdah; One of the two was a Khārijī, and the second is the most evil of mankind.

And Ibn ‘Umar used to say, ‘The Salāt is a good deed, I do not care who shares with me in it.’

And from Ibn Jurayj, ‘I said to ‘Atā’, ‘Do you see an Imām who delays the Salāt, to the point that he prays it being negligent in it?’ He said, ‘I will pray with the Jamā’ah, (as) it is more beloved to me.’ I said, ‘Even if the sun has become yellow and joined with the heads of the mountains?’ He said, ‘Yes, as long as it has not disappeared.’ I said to ‘Atā’, ‘But if the Imām does not fulfill the Salāt, should I avoid the Jamā’ah with him?’ He said, ‘Rather pray with him, and fulfill what you are able to. The Jamā’ah is more beloved to me.’

And from ‘Abdur-Razzāq, from Sufyān Ath-Thawrī, from ‘Uqbah Ibn Abī Wā’il, that he used to pray the Jamā’ah with Al-Mukhtār Al-Kath’thāb.

And from Abī Al-Ash’ath, who said, ‘The Khawārij emerged over us, so I asked Yahyā Ibn Abī Kathīr, so I said, ‘O Abū Nasr, how do you see the Salāt behind those ones?’ He said, ‘The Qur’ān is your Imām. Pray with them as long as they pray it (i.e. pray with the Qur’ān).’”

And from Ibrāhīm An-Nakh’ī, ‘I said to ‘Alqamah, ‘Our Imām does not complete the Salāt?’ ‘Alqamah said, ‘But we complete it.’ Meaning we pray with him and complete it.

And from Al-Hasan, ‘The Mu’min is not harmed by his prayer behind a Munāfiq, and the Munāfiq is not benefited by his prayer behind a Mu’min.’

And from Qatādah, ‘I said to Sa’īd Ibn Al-Musayyib, ‘Do we pray behind Al- Hajjāj?’ He said, ‘Verily, we pray behind he who is more evil than him.’

‘Alī – in other words, Ibn Hazm – said, ‘We do not know anyone from the Sahābah, may Allāh be pleased with them, who refused to pray behind Al-Mukhtār, ‘Ubaydillāh Ibn Ziyād, and Al-Hajjāj, and there is no Fāsiq who has more Fisq than those ones. And all of this is the opinion of Abū Hanīfah, Ash- Shāfi’ī and Abū Sulaymān.’”

http://en.altartosi.com/expertsMasjidDiraar.htm#The Sixth Issue

:salam2:

Jazakallahu khairan, brother. Alhamdulilah. So, it seems it is fine to pray behind him and there is no blame upon me.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In this day and time we options of giving. Some people give yearly to the masjid. Some give monthly.

There is a zakat box at most masjids, here. It is usually outside the prayer area. Brothers and sisters drop cash into the box prior to prayer.

Now, in the masjids that I have attended if there is an emergency the imam usually notifies the congregation during the announcement times as to the nature of the emergency. For example if someones house burns down in the community etc.

Often, the masjid staff is not available to open the offices. Sometimes the treasurer only volunteers on the weekend.

But, brothers notify the imam. Trust me, if they can listen to the likes of me, they will listen to you.

lovefordeen

wa'alaikum assalaam wa rahmathulahi wa barakathuhu

sorry for the interruption,but why has there to be a turkish mosque,indonesian mosque etc...why don't all muslims pray in one madjid?

now my question is,is having different mosques for different nationalities an innovation?

Ershad

wa'alaikum assalaam wa rahmathulahi wa barakathuhu

sorry for the interruption,but why has there to be a turkish mosque,indonesian mosque etc...why don't all muslims pray in one madjid?

now my question is,is having different mosques for different nationalities an innovation?

That has baffled me too. People stick to muslims from their nationality because their language of communication is the same. So, their khutbah is in the language the particular nationality understands. For, e.g. in turkish mosque, the khutbah is in turkish, arabic in morrocon mosque and indonesian in indonesian mosque. However, for me, everything is the same, because I don't understand any of those languages. So, every friday, the khutbah for me is just staring at the imam. One more thing that surprised me, is last year, the turkish mosque had the Eid one day after the morrocon mosque had it. I don't know why. I had to choose between them. I wonder what decision one must take in such situations. I went with the date it was celebrated in Makkah.

Idris16

Ya Ershad, pray Salat with them. But leave the masjid if the imam give some dars or reminders. An imam shaving his beard doesnt deserve to give us reminders. The Turkish masjids are Hanafis so they follow Pakistan. They pray Eid a day after us. As do other Hanafis like Bosnians/Albanians/Chechens....

You could search on IslamQA about praying behind sinful imams, beard, khutbah.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I have the pleasure of attending masjids where the kutbha is given in English, for at least one service.

Last week we had a guest imam. He spoke in Urdu. Great, I understood maybe one third of what he was saying. And he spoke forever. So, here I am trying to behave. We had many visitors. I am squished. I am straining my ears as sisters keep walking in and walking in. I am beseeching Allah to forgive me but give me a little knowledge. I am thinking to myself, behave. You must listen and be attentive. I know I suffer from Adult Attention Deficit Disorder..I can not sit still.
I have no clue. I felt like a Valley Girl in Emerald City. And it does make one feel rather odd.

In areas where there is a Muslim population but the population is small and diverse here in the US the delivery is in English.

Why the different masjids. Simple. People feel more comfortable with their own kind. It is the culture. It is a ease factor that is very human. Talk like me, walk like me, and eat like me,

And then I come along...

lovefordeen

That has baffled me too. People stick to muslims from their nationality because their language of communication is the same. So, their khutbah is in the language the particular nationality understands. For, e.g. in turkish mosque, the khutbah is in turkish, arabic in morrocon mosque and indonesian in indonesian mosque. However, for me, everything is the same, because I don't understand any of those languages. So, every friday, the khutbah for me is just staring at the imam. One more thing that surprised me, is last year, the turkish mosque had the Eid one day after the morrocon mosque had it. I don't know why. I had to choose between them. I wonder what decision one must take in such situations. I went with the date it was celebrated in Makkah.

wa'alaikum assalaam

here where i live,there is no such thing alhamdulilah...the mosques and eid gaah is the same for everyone belonging to different nationalities...

strive-may-i

Read about Juma-khutbah

I would suggest one reads the rules of Khutbah, its scope, which sermon is called friday-Khutbah [when it starts and when it ends. Whats an Imaams obligation in Khutbah etc] Its clear out there, its very interesting to know why Imaam does those, All are Prophet :saw: sunnah ...

strive-may-i

Mini collection box trolley

If there is collector/collectors walking between rows of people collecting money, that does not look appealing, its distracting indeed.
Then here is something good I have seen in some mosques...
Mini collection box trolley
A small collection box, fix wheel to it, yes a trolley... Watch the magic... :)

Start from first row, better would be right side corner, pass the box to the one beside, he moves it to next person, makes it active process, most would make some contribution, and pass it on, because... you know, its rewarded, and its for a just, good cause

Its smooth, the donator is confident no one sees his contribution (the rewards are more)
Of course , we can always have authorized collectors standing outside with usual collection box, welfare fund receipts/coupons, encouraging others to donate.. as usual

Hope all this helps.

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Sorry to stir up this thread again. I came across an article (attached) which says there is absolutely no proof from the salaf for using the donation boxes and also, a fatwaa of Imam Malik (Rahimahullah) saying it is haraam. Allahu A'lam.

Attachments

• begging.pdf
    98.8 KB · Views: 26