Quotes From The Salaf

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
'Umar Ibn 'Abdil-'Azeez said:

"Taqwaa is not fasting by day and standing for prayers by night. But taqwaa is to desert what Allaah has forbidden and to fulfil what He has commanded - and whoever puts forth goodness after that, then that is khair upon khair."
[Jaami' 'Uloom Wal Hikam, by Ibn Rajb p. 170]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Imaam Maalik said:

"i have met people in my city who seem the most righteous but they went out and started exposing people, so Allaah made their faults apparent. I know other people who have faults but because they are quiet, Allaah caused people to forget their faults."​

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Imaam Ash-Shaafi'ee said:

"Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at loss for response but rather it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."​

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Imaam Sufyan Ath-Thawree said:

“If you loved a man for the sake of Allah and then he innovated an innovation in Islam and you did not hate him for it, then you didn’t (really) love him for the sake of Allah.”
[Hilyatul Awliyaa (7/34) by Abu Nu’aym al Asbahaanee]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Abdullâh, the son of Al-Imâm Ahmad reports that his father, Al-Imâm Ahmad, said:

“The graves of Ahl Al-Sunnah who committed major sins are gardens (from Paradise) whilst the graves of the heretics (adherents of Bid’ah) who were ascetics are pits (from the Fire).

The sinners from Ahl Al-Sunnah are the beloved (awliyâ’) of Allâh, whereas the ascetics of Ahl Al-Bid’ah are the enemies of Allâh.”​

[Ibn Abî Ya’lâ, Tabaqât Al-Hanâbilah Vol. 1 p182]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
‘Uthmaan Ibn Haadir said:

“I said to ’Abdullaah Ibn ’Abbaas, ‘Advise me.’

He said, ‘It is upon you to be upright, and follow the first affair (the way of the Prophet and his Companions), and do not innovate.’ “​

[al-Ibaanah (1/319) by Ibn Battah]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
‘Umar ibn ‘Abdul-’Azeez said:

“There is no excuse for anyone, after the Sunnah, to be misguided upon error which he thought was guidance.”
[as-Sunnah (no.95) of al-Marwazee]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Imaam Maalik (d. 179H) said:

“The sunnah is like the ark of Noah. Whoever embarks upon it reaches salvation and whoever refuses is drowned.”
[Majmoo' Al-Fataawee 4/57]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Imaam Bukhaaree mentions:

“And they (Imaam Bukhaaree’s Companions and Shaykhs) used to forbid innovations: whatever the Messenger (saw) and his Companions (ra) were not upon due to His saying:

And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allaah (i.e, this Quraan), and be not divided among yourselves.’ [3:103]

And His saying:

And if you obey him, you shall be on the right guidance.‘ [24:54]“​

[Quoted in Al-Laalikaa'ee's Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahlu Sunnah, 2/172]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Imaam Ahmad said:

“Whoever says that Allaah, The Mighty and Majestic, will not be seen in the hereafter then he has disbelieved. Upon him is the curse of Allaah and His anger – whomever he may be from among the people.“
[Quoted in Ash-Sharee'ah p. 254]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
‘Abdullaah Ibn Muhammad Ibn Manaazil saod:

“The Believer seeks excuses for his brothers, and the hypocrite seeks the mistakes for his brothers.”

[Ash-Shu’ab, 7/11197]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Ibn Al-Qayyim said:

“The sinner does not care about whether he angers his Lord or not, all he cares about is satisfying his lusts and desires.”
[Ighaath Al-Lahafaan, p.44]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Al-Hasan Al-Basree said:

“Verily, a man commits a sin and never forgets it and he won’t cease to be afraid of it until he enters Paradise.”
[Az-Zuhd of Imaam Ahmad, p. 338]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
‘Aun Ibn ‘Abdillaah Ibn ‘Utbah said:

The slave worrying about his sins is a motive to leaving them off, his remorse for them is a key to repentance, and a slave will not continue to worry about the sin that he commits until it becomes more beneficial to him then some of his good deeds.”
[Al-Hilyah, 4/251]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
"Our hearts will now know happiness and be content until we know who our Lord is and love Him more than anything else we know."

[Ibn Al-Qayyim]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
"The idiot talks to me in the ugliest manner. And I do not like to give him an answer. His increase in stupidity increases my forbearance just like oud, when burnt more, gives more fragrance."

[Imaam Ash-Shaafi'ee]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
'Alee (ra) said, "The best of you at every temp is one who repents (i.e, every time he sins, he repents."

It was said, "What if he sins again?"

He said, "He should ask for forgiveness and repent."

It was said, "For how long?"

He said, "Until the shaytaan is defeated."

[Jaami' Al-Uloom, 1/64]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
It was said to Al-Hasan Al-Basree:

"Shouldn't one of us feel too shy to ask his Lord to forgive his sin then do it again, then ask for forgiveness, then do it again?"
He said:

"The shaytaan wishes that you would have this attitude, so do not tire of asking for forgiveness."
[Jaami Al-Uloom Wal-Hukam, 1/165]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Ibn Abdil-Barr said:

"... They should not prevent the youth, if he knows something, from speaking about what he has knowledge of. Perhaps a person may be young in age, but elder with regards to his knowledge. And Allaah blesses whom He wills through wisdom and mercy."
[At-Tamheed, 23/150]