Quotes From The Salaf

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Aboo Shaamah (d.665H) said:

“The order to stick to the Jamaa’ah means sticking to the truth and its followers; even if those who stick to the truth are few and those who oppose it are many, since the truth is that which the first Jamaa’ah from the time of the Prophet (saw) and his Companions (ra) were upon. No attention is given to the great number of the people of futility coming after them.”​

[Al-Baa'ith 'Alal-Bida'h Wal-Hawaadith, p.19]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Once, one of the Salaf gave his friends some advice saying:

“When you leave me then split up; so perhaps one of you will read some Quraan in the road, because whenever you meet up with each other you talk.”​

[Saydul Khaatir, p.480]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
It is reported that Khaalid bin Ma’daan – Allaah have mercy on him – said:

"There is not a person except he has four eyes: two in his head with which he sees the matters of this worldly life, and two in his heart with which he looks to the matters of the hereafter.

So if Allaah wants good for his servant, He opens his heart’s eyes, and so he perceives what he has been promised in the unseen world. Thus he is saved from the unseen [punishment] through the unseen [reward for the obedient]."​

[Al-Dhahabee, Siyar A’laam Al-Nubalaa', 4/ 543]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Imaam Muqbil Ibn Haadi Al-Waadi’ee said:

“So let my enemies say what they will for my sins are many, and perhaps because of their backbiting and slander my sins will be lightened and instead fall upon their shoulders “​

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Imaam Ash-Shaafi’ee said:

‎”Let not your tongue mention the shame of another, for you yourself are covered in shame, and all men have tongues. If your eye falls upon the sin of your brother, shield them and say ‘O my eye all men have eyes‘.”​

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab said:

“Do not think badly of a word uttered by your brother, when you can find a good interpretation for it.”​

[Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 26/365]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Younus Ibn Ubayd said:

“I know one hundred virtues, and I don’t know whether I posses even one of them.”​

[Tahzib Al-Kamal, 32/524]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Sa’eed Ibn Al-Musayyib once said,

“I used to travel for nights and days, searching out a single hadeeth.”
[Jaami' Al-Bayaan Al-'Ilm, 1/94]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Ash-Sha’bee related a hadeeth from the prophet (saw) and when he finished, he said to the man to whom he spoke,

“You have taken it for nothing, a man used to travel for something less than this to Madeenah.”
[Jaami' bayaan Al-'Ilm, 1/92]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Ibn Al-Jawzee said:

“A person who truly fears his Lord does not care about others and does not put himself in a position where his religion is at risk.”
["Sincere Counsel To Students Of Sacred Knowledge" by Ibn Al-Jawzee, p.72]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Malik Ibn Dinar said:

“Love of this world is the head of every mistake (i.e. the main reason behind mistakes).

Women are the traps of the shaytan.

And wine is a caller to every sin!”​

[Kitaab Dham Ad-Dunya, 3/416]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Malik Ibn Dinar said:

“Love of this world is the head of every mistake (i.e. the main reason behind mistakes).

Women are the traps of the shaytan.

And wine is a caller to every sin!”​

[Kitaab Dham Ad-Dunya, 3/416]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Aboo ‘Ubayd Al-Qaasim Ibn Salaam said:

“The follower of the Sunnah is like the one who holds onto hot coals. And today, in my opinion, this is better than fighting with swords in the Cause of Allaah.”​
[Taareekh Baghdaad, 12/410]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Abu Ad-Dardaa said:

“You will not become an ‘aalim (scholar) until you become a mut’alim (student) and you will not become a muta’alim (student) until you act upon the knowledge you posses”.​

[Iqtidaa-u al'ilmi al'amal, 29]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Once a man said to ‘Umar Ibn ‘Abdil-’Azeez:

“If you would only make some free time for us?!”​
So he responded:

“Where is the free time?! All the free time has gone away. There isn’t any free time except with Allaah.”​
[Tabaqaat Ibn Sa'd, 5/397]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Sa’eed Ibn Al-Musayyib once said:

“I used to travel for nights and days, searching out a single hadeeth.”​

[Jaami' Al-Bayaan Al-'Ilm, 1/94]

- - - Updated - - -

Bishr Ibn ‘Abdullaah Al-Hadramee said:

“I used to travel from one city to another, seeking out a single hadeeth that I wanted to hear.“​

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Ash-Sha’bee related a hadeeth from the prophet (saw) and when he finished, he said to the man to whom he spoke:

“You have taken it for nothing, a man used to travel for something less than this to Madeenah.”​

[Jaami' bayaan Al-'Ilm, 1/92]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Khaalid Ibn Ma’daan said:

“When a door leading to good is opened up for one of you then he should hasten to it because you don’t know when it will be shut.”

[Al-Hilya, 5/211]

- - - Updated - - -

Sufyaan Ath-Thawree used to offer prayer and then turn towards the youth and say:

“If you don’t offer prayer today, then when?”

[Al-Hilyah, 7/59]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Al- Awzaa’ee said:

“Once I heard Bilaal Ibn Sa’d saying, ‘Do not look at how small the sin is but instead look at how great is the One that you have disobeyed.’ “

[Al-Hilya, 5/223]

- - - Updated - - -

Aboo Haazim Salamah Ibn Deenaar said:

“Look at every act that you wold hate to die while committing, and then abandon it.”

[Al-Musannaf, 7/194]