Quotes From The Salaf

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Al-Asbahaanee said:

“… Knowledge is not relaying an abundance of narrations, but rather it is following it, utilizing it, acting in accordance with it, and compliance to the Companions and the Taabi’een even if he does not have much knowledge.”​

[Al-Hujjah Fee Bayaan Al-Mahajjah, 2/438]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Adh-Dhahabee said:

“Knowledge is not relaying an abundance of narrations but it is light that Allaah places in the heart and its condition is following it and fleeing from desires and innovations.”​

[Siyar A'laam An-Nubulaa, 13/323]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Fudayl Ibn ‘Iyyaad stated:

“The scholar who acts in accordance with his knowledge and teaches has an immense station in the Kingdom of Heaven.”​

[Tirmidhee, in his sunan in "Kitaab Al-'Ilm Baab Fadul Fiqh 'Alal 'Ibaadah"]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Ayyoob Ibn Al-Quryah said:

“The Sharee’ah is the religion of the intelligent and mild manners; and forbearance is his nature; and good opinion is his natural disposition.”​

[Jaami Bayaan Al-'Ilm Wa Fadhlihi, 1/46]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Aboo ‘Ubayd Al-Qaasim Ibn Salaam said:

“The follower of the Sunnah is like the one who holds onto hot coals. And today, in my opinion, this is better than fighting with swords in the Cause of Allaah.”​

[Taareekh Baghdaad, 12/410]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Al-Fudayl Ibn ‘Iyyaad said:

“The souls are arrayed armies. So those that know one another will unite with one another, and those that don’t know one another will be divided. And it is not possible for a person of the Sunnah to support a person of innovation except due to hypocrisy.”​

[Sharh Usool 'Itiqaad Ahlis-Sunnah Wal-Jamaa'ah, 1/138]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Raafi’ Ibn Ashras said:

“It used to be said, ‘From the punishments of the liar is that his credibility is not accepted.’ And I say that from the punishment of the sinful innovator is that his good qualities are not mentioned.”​

[Sharh 'Ilal At-Tirmidhee, 1/50]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Muhammad bin Abdil-Baqi al-Hanbali:

“The teacher is not allowed to be violent and the student is not allowed to be arrogant.”​

[Adab Shar’iyyah 1/297]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Ibn 'Abbaas (May Allah be pleased with him) said:

‘Verily a man memorises in accordance to the rank of his intention’​

[Al-Jaami’ Li Akhlaakh Ar-Raawi, 257/2]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Ibn Al-Jawzee said:

“Abu Darda used to sit next to graves and when he was asked about this, he replied, ‘I am sitting amongst those people who remind me of the hereafter and when I leave, they will not backbite me”.​

[Minhaj Al-Qasideen, 432]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Hasan Al-Basree said:

“From the signs that Allaah has turned away from the slave is that He (Allaah) preoccupies him (the slave) with that which does not concern him!”​

[Jaami'ul 'Uloom Wal-Hikam, p.139]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Abud Dardaa’ said:

“Whoever knocks on the door then it is on the brink of it being opened up for him, and whoever makes a lot of du’aa then his supplication is on the verge of being answered.”

[Ash-Shu'ab, 2/1142]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
‘Aa’ishah (ra) said:

“Ask Allaah to facilitate everything, even the string to your sandal, for if Allaah had not made facilitation, it would not be facilitated.”

[Ash-Shu'ab, 2/1142]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Muhammad Ibn Al-Waleed said:

“Once ‘Umar Ibn ‘Abdil-’Azeez passed by a man in whose hand were stones he played with and at the (same) time he was supplicating, ‘O Allaah! Allow me to marry one of the Hoor Al-’Een‘, so ‘Umar turned to him and cried out, ‘What an evil proposer you are! Certainly you should throw these stones and make you du’aa sincere and pure to Allaah.‘ “

[Al-Hilyah, 5/287]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Qataadah Ibn Khulayd said:

“You will never find a believer except doing one of three things:

(1) Offering worship in the masjid.

(2) Resting in a house that screens him.

(3) Or handling some worldly business that is binding (on him).”​

[Sifatus Safwah, 3/231]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
‘Abdullaah Ibn Mas’ood said:

“Indeed, I hate to see a man totally free, not doing anything from the work of the life of this world nor the Hereafter.”
[Al-Hilyah 1/130]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Fudayl Ibn ‘Iyaad said to ‘Aasim Al-Ahwal:

“O you! Do not allow the people’s great number of people to busy you, for indeed the final affair will only be about you besides them.

Beware of wasting your day here and there, for surely this is counted against you, and I have not seen anything more beautiful in seeking or faster in catching than a new good deed for an old bad deed.”​

[Al-Hilyah, 3/102]

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Once a man said to ‘Umar Ibn ‘Abdil-’Azeez:

“If you would only make some free time for us?!”
So he responded:

“Where is the free time?! All the free time has gone away. There isn’t any free time except with Allaah.”​

[Tabaqaat Ibn Sa'd, 5/397]