Status
Not open for further replies.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2:

It has taurine...Isn`t that a bulls urine????:hijabi:

:wasalam:

What does taurine do?
Taurine is an amino acid-like compound and a component of bile acids, which are used to help absorb fats and fat-soluble vitamins. Taurine also helps regulate the heart beat, maintain cell membrane stability, and prevent brain cell over-activity.

Where is taurine found?
Taurine is found mostly in meat and fish. Except for infants, the human body is able to make taurine from cysteine—another amino acid.

Title RED BULL ENERGY DRINKS ARE NOT HALAL
Event Date Fri Jul 01 00:00:00 CDT 2005
Type Alert
Description Although the Red Bull energy drinks are Kosher certified, the company refuses to provide information on solvent use in artificial flavors. The company did provide the ethyl alcohol content less than 0.05% rather than zero. It means the solvent used in artificial flavor is ethyl alcohol because the rest of the ingredients in the Red Bull soft drinks do not provide any source for alcohol, so where this minute alcohol comes from, it is definitely contributed by artificial flavor in the energy drinks.

Source: www.muslimconsumergroup.com/Events.do?menu=Events&eventAction=eventdetail&eventId=13

zarah

Islam
Staff member
What does taurine do?
Taurine is an amino acid-like compound and a component of bile acids, which are used to help absorb fats and fat-soluble vitamins. Taurine also helps regulate the heart beat, maintain cell membrane stability, and prevent brain cell over-activity.

Where is taurine found?
Taurine is found mostly in meat and fish. Except for infants, the human body is able to make taurine from cysteine—another amino acid.

Title RED BULL ENERGY DRINKS ARE NOT HALAL
Event Date Fri Jul 01 00:00:00 CDT 2005
Type Alert
Description Although the Red Bull energy drinks are Kosher certified, the company refuses to provide information on solvent use in artificial flavors. The company did provide the ethyl alcohol content less than 0.05% rather than zero. It means the solvent used in artificial flavor is ethyl alcohol because the rest of the ingredients in the Red Bull soft drinks do not provide any source for alcohol, so where this minute alcohol comes from, it is definitely contributed by artificial flavor in the energy drinks.

Source: www.muslimconsumergroup.com/Events.do?menu=Events&eventAction=eventdetail&eventId=13

Thanks bro sos they aren`t definitly halal.(I had a feeling about this)

Bro do you know anything about Lucozade orage??? :hijabi:

Globalpeace

Banned
Red Bull (Updated Information)

W-Salam Sister,

Please note that following information from GMWA!

1) Taurine is from synthetic sources:
http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/index.php?page=viewquestion&id=199

2) Red Bull uses Alcohol based flavouring like many commerical drinks:

http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/index.php?page=viewquestion&id=150

So It is considered HALAL by many scholars.

Information and context is provided; you are free to makeup your mind.

Thanks bro sos they aren`t definitly halal.(I had a feeling about this)

Bro do you know anything about Lucozade orage??? :hijabi:

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
....sorry,the text I read didn't seem very clear....so Red bull is NOT halal?

And do you know any other drinks NOT-halal?

:jazaak:

zarah

Islam
Staff member
W-Salam Sister,

Please note that following information from GMWA!

1) Taurine is from synthetic sources:
http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/index.php?page=viewquestion&id=199

2) Red Bull uses Alcohol based flavouring like many commerical drinks:

http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/index.php?page=viewquestion&id=150

So It is considered HALAL by many scholars.

Information and context is provided; you are free to makeup your mind.

Jazzak-Allah khair for the akhi...seems like everyone is contradicting eachother...:SMILY303:

Globalpeace

Banned
Analysis of contradictory Information!

Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

With the utmost respect I believe that there isn't a contradiction here...

Careful analysis of the data which has been furnished to you reveals the following facts:

• Muslim Consumer Group has information dating back to 2005 and full ingredient information has not been provided to them; i.e. their facts are incomplete
• Muslim Consumer Group is based in Chicago (Illinois) i.e. USA

In sharp contrast Shaykh Abdullah Patel (GMWA) has provided records of communication with the vendor to indicate the following:

• Taurine is from Synthetic sources
• Usage of ethyl alcohol is defined and contextualised
• GMWA is based in Gloucester (UK), well reputed and their contact details are on the front page of the web-site (should you or anyone else have any questions)

Hence my earlier post to you (or anyone else) to analyse the information and then make an informed decision.

So in short:
• HARAM Fatwa about a UK product from a US based site based on incomplete information
• HALAL Fatwa about a UK product from a UK Scholar based on FULL information and records of all communication provided for you to judge

Where is the contradiction?

Action is up to you.

P.S: I hate to get involved in these HARAM/HALAL debates, really.

Jazzak-Allah khair for the akhi...seems like everyone is contradicting eachother...:SMILY303:

Jihan

while we are the subject of halaal and haraam food/drink isn't chocolate liquor chocolate with actual liquor flavoring?!?
i heard that it is from many sources and I know they add it in ice creams and other food..... yet the halal muslim consumer book of america put it in the halaal catergory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was confused... isn't there only one kind of chocolate liquor? so why is this book we are trusting saying it is halaal without explaining why....
yet it is telling us cheese is haraam!

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Brother,

Are you in UK or US?

while we are the subject of halaal and haraam food/drink isn't chocolate liquor chocolate with actual liquor flavoring?!?
i heard that it is from many sources and I know they add it in ice creams and other food..... yet the halal muslim consumer book of america put it in the halaal catergory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was confused... isn't there only one kind of chocolate liquor? so why is this book we are trusting saying it is halaal without explaining why....
yet it is telling us cheese is haraam!

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

With the utmost respect I believe that there isn't a contradiction here...

Careful analysis of the data which has been furnished to you reveals the following facts:

• Muslim Consumer Group has information dating back to 2005 and full ingredient information has not been provided to them; i.e. their facts are incomplete
• Muslim Consumer Group is based in Chicago (Illinois) i.e. USA

In sharp contrast Shaykh Abdullah Patel (GMWA) has provided records of communication with the vendor to indicate the following:

• Taurine is from Synthetic sources
• Usage of ethyl alcohol is defined and contextualised
• GMWA is based in Gloucester (UK), well reputed and their contact details are on the front page of the web-site (should you or anyone else have any questions)

Hence my earlier post to you (or anyone else) to analyse the information and then make an informed decision.

So in short:
• HARAM Fatwa about a UK product from a US based site based on incomplete information
• HALAL Fatwa about a UK product from a UK Scholar based on FULL information and records of all communication provided for you to judge

Where is the contradiction?

Action is up to you.

P.S: I hate to get involved in these HARAM/HALAL debates, really.

lol..Jazzak-Allah Khair bro...

visionusman

being content
Dear Brother GP,

U've said that Red Bull uses alcohol based flavourings; yet it is halaal. Why is that? I'm honestly asking for the sake of clarification. Thx.

Wassalam

dawood_smriti

Asalaamalykum

WALLAH, Even I am confused with all these fatwas.No doubt these scholars have much more knowledge than I ve.
However I had read a hadith couple of days before, cant locate where,i.e

"Prophet Muhammad(S.A.W) Had said anything thts harms or intoxicates in large quantities is prohibbited in small quatities aswell"

So??????

Wasalaam

Globalpeace

Banned
Use of Alcohol & Ethyl Alcohol (Halal or Haram)?

W-Salam Brothers,

I am not in the business of issuing Fatwas. I have provided the information to the Sister concenred and asked her to make up her own mind. :)

The issue of Ethyl Alcohol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol) is controversial and it is acceptable to be used by some Scholars in small quantities (as flavouring) as in here:

http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2004-08/03/article04.shtml

http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/ealcohol.htm

http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/index.php?page=viewquestion&id=85 (you can discuss the matter directly with Mufti Abdullah, Insha'Allah)

http://www.albalagh.net/letters/synthetic_alcohols.shtml

Then you have the opinion that it is HARAM as here:

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/Services.do?menu=Services&eventAction=fiqahscience

http://www.qss.org/questions/data/Fundamentals_Haraam.html

Then you have opinions which are half-way, such as here:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=1365&ln=eng&txt=alcohol

I would like to reiterate again that I am not proposing for anyone to use it or condemn it; I am providing data for all to read and make an informed choice, Insha'Allah.

You can search on google and read the evidence from bothe sides, Insha'Allah.

Asalaamalykum

WALLAH, Even I am confused with all these fatwas.No doubt these scholars have much more knowledge than I ve.
However I had read a hadith couple of days before, cant locate where,i.e

"Prophet Muhammad(S.A.W) Had said anything thts harms or intoxicates in large quantities is prohibbited in small quatities aswell"

So??????

Wasalaam

suryani

Cheese!

Saalam,
'Chocolate liquor' means the chocolate syrup used to make solid chocolate not actual alcohol. All other liquers (note the difference in spelling) are alcohol.

Here is to a rather concise explanation about cheese. Sometimes cheese contains rennette or pepsin.

•Rennette - An enzyme extracted from the 4th stomach of calves however they can also come from adult cattle, small ruminants (e.g. goats & sheep) and pigs. If the animals (with the exception of pigs of course :SMILY335: ) are slaughtered in the Islamic way, it is Halal. Otherwise it should be avoided.

•Pepsin - An enzyme extracted from animal stomachs, especially pig stomachs

Microbial/Vegetable rennet and pepsin are Halal.
Renette/pepsin can be found; not only in cheese but chocolate, ice cream and junket too.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Akhi GP:SMILY252: , There is a difference of opinion...

Any liquid intoxicant in shafii school is filth but according to major Hanafi scholars including Muhammad Bakhit al Muti'i and al hasani ,they are pure because they are not produced or intended as intoxicants...

we should avoid food that we are unsure

Anas ( Allah be pleased with him) relates that the prophet ( Allah be pleased with him and give him peace) found a date in his path, and said,

" But for fear that it was charity, I would have eaten it."

Allah knows best

Notes taken from umdatus salik book

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam,

You are right.

Akhi GP:SMILY252: , There is a difference of opinion...

Any liquid intoxicant in shafii school is filth but according to major Hanafi scholars including Muhammad Bakhit al Muti'i and al hasani ,they are pure because they are not produced or intended as intoxicants...

we should avoid food that we are unsure

Anas ( Allah be pleased with him) relates that the prophet ( Allah be pleased with him and give him peace) found a date in his path, and said,

" But for fear that it was charity, I would have eaten it."

Allah knows best

Notes taken from umdatus salik book

zarah

Islam
Staff member

Okay you lot...I think i should close the topic here...while all of us know the answer now to red bull....

Verdict....Haram....:hijabi:

Jazzak-Allah khair my brothers and sisters for all your response....:SMILY346:

Status
Not open for further replies.