Religion VS Culture

Sidra Rasib

MUSLiiM PRiiNCESS
Asalaam Brothers & Sisters

This post is basically to state what I believe should hold more importance for us when it comes to this topic.

Culture is basically something that certain people carry for example their way of living, their laws, values, knowledge, clothing, food etc.

Religion means having a meaning to life, following rules and basing your life around what makes you apart of that belief. It helps to structure your life style and gives you an understanding of where you want to go in life.

Our culture is based on where and how we are brought up, sometimes people tend to let culture take a more important role in their lives than religion. Personally I would say that makes things more difficult, as beliefs would start to clash and confuse most. How ever there are some that would disagree and find that culture and religion work perfectly fine together as culture is a part of religion.

Most people find that basing their lives around religion causes differences amongst each other and causes arguments, I would say that following no religion would actually cause more fights and separations as people would want to have their ways and put their believes forward.

Imagine playing a game with out any rules or instructions , it would be hard, boring and on going. Having no religion would be similar as religion gives us rules to follow, support, background, identity, understanding and it gives us something to stand for.

As people are from different corners of the globe, we all have different ideas and understandings of things. This is where culture comes in, people bring up an idea/saying which is passed on from generations and they hold this with themselves as if it is something as important as religion. Culture is sort of like religion as some cultures instruct the same things as religions, but in different ways.

Lastly, when people are in trouble or are in some sort of bad situation. We mainly depend on someone to be there for us as we need support and someone to turn to for advice. If we are to turn to culture, we basically turn to man made advice, how ever if we are to turn to religion we ask for guidance from the one and only God. He who knows all and sees all.

Putting culture higher or religion is actually up to the person themselves, but remember basing your life around religion makes it much easier as everything is already there for you unlike culture which always changes and confuses some.

Hope this helped, just to let you know my aim isn't to offend anyone. This is just to help those who get confused when it comes to this topic.

Jazakallah

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Jazakallah for sharing your thought sister.

There are Muslims mix and blend religion and culture to the extend both can no longer be separated or differentiated. There are people will be offended when you do something against cultural norm but they don't show similar opposition to those go against religion. You are right, Muslims should put Islam first over other things only then Muslims will be Muslims.

O you who have believed, enter into Islam completely [and perfectly] and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. Indeed, he is to you a clear enemy. [Q2:208]

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
wa'alaikum as'salaam,

Inshallah I would like to add a little to that. Culture is not a bad thing and should not be abandoned all together. One of the reasons Islam spread quickly, other than being the True Message, was that it didn't make you abandon your culture and traditions wholly, much like the westerns did. All Islam says regarding culture is that, if it contradicts Islamic teachings then you abandon it (that part) otherwise you enjoy your culture. With that said, the culture of the Muslim countries is ingrained with Islam but culture can have misunderstandings in it as well, in terms of Islam. We don't need to abandon our culture but at the same time we should learn our deen as well and be raised on the deen. Those who are raised on the culture not only deviate from true islam because of bidah that crept into the culture but also the cultural Muslims are the first to adopt the culture of the new country they go to or are influenced by via media, online, etc. Your culture maybe great to you but youth will follow the culture they see more enticing, western one being the popular one along with its vices of dating and other haram stuff that is now rampant in Muslim countries. Raise a child on the deen of Islam and inshallah he/she won't fall to influence of other deens or cultures that contradict Islam.

tic_tac_toe

wa'alaikum as'salaam,

Inshallah I would like to add a little to that. Culture is not a bad thing and should not be abandoned all together. One of the reasons Islam spread quickly, other than being the True Message, was that it didn't make you abandon your culture and traditions wholly, much like the westerns did. All Islam says regarding culture is that, if it contradicts Islamic teachings then you abandon it (that part) otherwise you enjoy your culture. With that said, the culture of the Muslim countries is ingrained with Islam but culture can have misunderstandings in it as well, in terms of Islam. We don't need to abandon our culture but at the same time we should learn our deen as well and be raised on the deen. Those who are raised on the culture not only deviate from true islam because of bidah that crept into the culture but also the cultural Muslims are the first to adopt the culture of the new country they go to or are influenced by via media, online, etc. Your culture maybe great to you but youth will follow the culture they see more enticing, western one being the popular one along with its vices of dating and other haram stuff that is now rampant in Muslim countries. Raise a child on the deen of Islam and inshallah he/she won't fall to influence of other deens or cultures that contradict Islam.

:salam2:

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with culture if it doesn't contradict with Sunnah. Many examples of culture which don't contradict with Islam:

46b3a0035fc92_33392n.jpg

fish-and-chips.jpg

apple-pie.jpg

samosa1.jpg

7056-2.jpg

thumbsup.php.jpg

Sindhi_topi_of_sindh.jpg

shemagh_scarf_wrap.jpg

Sidra Rasib

MUSLiiM PRiiNCESS
That's absolutely true, if your culture does not get in the way of your deen, then it is fine. Also the point that you made about youth following what they see is so true.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

MashAllah dear sister, it is very well explained.

Jazzak Allah khair for sharing with us

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum,Is making henna on the hands part of the islamic culture?I've seen many women with this painture and heard that it's part of the tradition,above all in occasions like a marriage,the eid al Fitr,the Eid al Adha.my daughters are waiting for me,when I'll put henna or their hands.am I making the right thing?

tic_tac_toe

salam 'alikum,Is making henna on the hands part of the islamic culture?I've seen many women with this painture and heard that it's part of the tradition,above all in occasions like a marriage,the eid al Fitr,the Eid al Adha.my daughters are waiting for me,when I'll put henna or their hands.am I making the right thing?

:bismillah1:

Usage of Henna is mentioned in many Ahadeeth and Muslim women are encouraged to beautify themselves (for their spouses) using Henna and other permissible means.

The patterns and application of Henna is indeed a cultural phenomenon on happy occasions such as marriage, Eid etc and you are free to use any patterns and whenever and however you wish.

There is no prohibition against it.

Enjoy :SMILY149:

Sidra Rasib

MUSLiiM PRiiNCESS
Aslamu Alaykum sister,

The Prophet (saw) had actually instructed women to wear henna on their hands so that men can tell who they shake hands with.

A woman extended her hand from behind a curtain to hand a piece of paper to the Prophet. The Prophet pulled his hand back and said, “I don’t know if it is a man’s or a woman’s hand.” She said that it was a woman’s hand. The Prophet responded, “If you were a woman, you would have coloured your nails with henna.” (Abu Dawud, Nasai)

I don't think it's wrong to wear henna, as you can see above, wearing henna is a sunnah

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah

The real problem comes in when people that are neither Muslim nor part of a certain culture associate cultural activities with being Islamic activities. It tends to distort their perception of Islam.

Sidra Rasib

MUSLiiM PRiiNCESS
Yep true, example of this would be honour killing, force marriages and let me emphasise FORCE MARRIAGES ! and also the customs they do during a Muslim marriage are not part of Islam, the're mainly copied from other religions or cultures

strive-may-i

Assalaamu Alaikum

There are some more essentials to equip oneself before approaching the topic of culture and religion.
Narrated Ibn ‘Abbas: Allah’s Messenger said to Ashaj Abdul-Qasis, “You possess two such qualities as Allah loves. These are clemency and tolerance.” (Muslim)

Asalaam Brothers & Sisters

This post is basically to state what I believe should hold more importance for us when it comes to this topic.

Culture is basically something that certain people carry for example their way of living, their laws, values, knowledge, clothing, food etc.

Religion means having a meaning to life, following rules and basing your life around what makes you apart of that belief. It helps to structure your life style and gives you an understanding of where you want to go in life.

Our culture is based on where and how we are brought up, sometimes people tend to let culture take a more important role in their lives than religion. Personally I would say that makes things more difficult, as beliefs would start to clash and confuse most. How ever there are some that would disagree and find that culture and religion work perfectly fine together as culture is a part of religion.

Most people find that basing their lives around religion causes differences amongst each other and causes arguments, I would say that following no religion would actually cause more fights and separations as people would want to have their ways and put their believes forward.

Imagine playing a game with out any rules or instructions , it would be hard, boring and on going. Having no religion would be similar as religion gives us rules to follow, support, background, identity, understanding and it gives us something to stand for.

As people are from different corners of the globe, we all have different ideas and understandings of things. This is where culture comes in, people bring up an idea/saying which is passed on from generations and they hold this with themselves as if it is something as important as religion. Culture is sort of like religion as some cultures instruct the same things as religions, but in different ways.

Lastly, when people are in trouble or are in some sort of bad situation. We mainly depend on someone to be there for us as we need support and someone to turn to for advice. If we are to turn to culture, we basically turn to man made advice, how ever if we are to turn to religion we ask for guidance from the one and only God. He who knows all and sees all.

Putting culture higher or religion is actually up to the person themselves, but remember basing your life around religion makes it much easier as everything is already there for you unlike culture which always changes and confuses some.

Hope this helped, just to let you know my aim isn't to offend anyone. This is just to help those who get confused when it comes to this topic.

Jazakallah

Dhikreislam

I do not think that we necessarily have to put one on top of another. Culture and religion are 2 different things and therefore can be practiced simultaneously (as it is often). One of the things that makes life interesting are its flavors... if everyone in the world started speaking one language, eating one popular dish, and wearing only particular kind of clothes (even if done under name of islam), it would be a joyless life. The beauty of God's earth and its people is in the varieties that come with it while the strength of God's earth is the religion it conveys