Revert or CONVERT?

maryjo

I see on this forum some people use the word convert and others use revert.

In english, revert means to go back to a previous state
Convert means to change from thing to another

Im confused, when peopel say revert do they mean as is written above amd the same question for convert ???

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

As we Muslims believe that a child when born, is born a Muslim. Muslim means the one who submits himself to Allaah the Almighty. As the child is born to different environments and families, they eventually change or convert to different religion or way of life. So when someone embraces Islam from other ways of life, then we call them reverts. That is as you stated they came back to a state they previously were.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
I still say "convert" because that's the Western concept and that's what I am used to. I haven't gotten used to using "revert" yet.

Here, you are whatever your parents are, typically. There's no concept of "everyone is born this or that".

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

The simple reason why someones are using convert and others revert might be that everyones english is not very good. When english is not your mother tongue, you might not know difference of meaning those words.

When I say it by my language, I usually use expression: "return back to islam" (islamiin palannut).

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

The simple reason why someones are using convert and others revert might be that everyones english is not very good. When english is not your mother tongue, you might not know difference of meaning those words.

When I say it by my language, I usually use expression: "return back to islam" (islamiin palannut).

That would be "revert" in English.

"Convert" would be someone like me who was never born into a Muslim family but took shahada later in life.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
That would be "revert" in English.

"Convert" would be someone like me who was never born into a Muslim family but took shahada later in life.

Did you again forget that me too wasn´t born in muslim family but took shahada too just later in life?

:SMILY149:

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

I think word ''revert'' is a new invention to denote someone who embraces Islam. Word ''Convert" has always been used for a state of transition from one religion to other. Dr.Jakir Naik is pioneer to use it,may be I wrong.

Most of the Muslims still dwell in the mirage that Islam came to existence some 1400 years before. Very few are aware of eternity of Islam at least I can bet for sub-continent. And hence few must have used word ''revert'' before the internet era began.

Regards.

saifkhan

abd-Allah

as-salam 'alaikum

"return back to islam" this is the exactly same thing my brother Ismael use to use! and if he says this 'word' thrice in a sentence, he never forget to use the same thing mentioning thrice, I love him for the sake of Allah, may Allah bless him

wassalam

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

Remember, brothers and sisters: in the end, it's just semantics. The real important thing is what's in the heart.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

Allah created all the souls "Am I not your Lord?" And we all replied yes, and we submitted. So each soul when it comes to this world, enters it with submission to Allaah. But exactly, past does not matter. It is the end that matters.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

Allah created all the souls "Am I not your Lord?" And we all replied yes, and we submitted. So each soul when it comes to this world, enters it with submission to Allaah. But exactly, past does not matter. It is the end that matters.
:wasalam:
:wasalam:,
Jazakallah khayr brother for posting this.This was exactly what was in my mind with respect to the usage of the word "revert".When we embrace Islam in this world we are reverting back to our orignal state of submission which was in the form of souls.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

Actually, the correct terms is "Convert".

The ahaadeeth that mention about the child born on Fitrah etc- does not in anyway say that the child is born as a "Muslim". The child of a Christian or a Jew or any other disbeliever that dies- is not given "Muslim" rights... in the sense that it is not buried with the muslims etc.

Those children who die upon Fitrah are considered to be from Ahl al-Fitrah (People of the Fitrah) and not as muslims- and we know that they will be judged on the day of judgement.

This was mentioned by Ibn Hajar and Ibn Taymiyyah- wAllaahu a`lam

P.S Unfortunately I don't have reference for it atm, but if I have more time- I will refer you guys inshaa'Allaah : -)

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

Those children who die upon Fitrah are considered to be from Ahl al-Fitrah (People of the Fitrah) and not as muslims- and we know that they will be judged on the day of judgement.

How can a child be judged for things his/her brain never can think of.? Even a sensible and mature brain if invited towards Islam,in most cases fails to accept.

Regards.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu `alaykum

Actually, the correct terms is "Convert".

The ahaadeeth that mention about the child born on Fitrah etc- does not in anyway say that the child is born as a "Muslim". The child of a Christian or a Jew or any other disbeliever that dies- is not given "Muslim" rights... in the sense that it is not buried with the muslims etc.

This was mentioned by Ibn Hajar and Ibn Taymiyyah- wAllaahu a`lam

P.S Unfortunately I don't have reference for it atm, but if I have more time- I will refer you guys inshaa'Allaah : -)

May Allah reward you for clearing this up.... =) I am glad you corrected us,
Jaka'Allah khair,