Salatul Tasbih

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

I am coming out of my self-imposed exile from this site to reply to this thread. I asked my shaykh - who I trust with my spiritual teaching in all things - about this Salaatul tasbih. He said that while its true all the ahadith that back this salaat are weak, the fact that there are so many of them ("at least 7 or 8", he said) that most scholars - while they agree the sunnah on it is weak - will accept the salaat as sahih.

I spoke to the shaykh after dhuhr today, and he said if there were only one or two weak ahadith, the act itself would be considered weak. But when there are so many weak ahadith for one act, its considered a stronger support.

And Allahu alim.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
He said that while its true all the ahadith that back this salaat are weak, the fact that there are so many of them ("at least 7 or 8", he said) that most scholars - while they agree the sunnah on it is weak - will accept the salaat as sahih.

Assalamua'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

I hope so far, this month of Ramadhaan is bringing lots of blessings to you as well as to all the other members, inshaAllaah.

I am sorry but seems like I didnt really understand your above statement. Did you meant to say (based on what your Shiekh has said) that while most scholars agree that the supported ahadeeth are weak, they still accept the solaat as an Iba'dah that can be performed?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

I hope so far, this month of Ramadhaan is bringing lots of blessings to you as well as to all the other members, inshaAllaah.

I am sorry but seems like I didnt really understand your above statement. Did you meant to say (based on what your Shiekh has said) that while most scholars agree that the supported ahadeeth are weak, they still accept the solaat as an Iba'dah that can be performed?

:salam2:

If different isnaad of a narration are found and all have some deficiency (which make it weak), then muhaditheen can strengthen their opinion/ruling on the hadeeth based on different chains found for same narration.

Though I didn't know that their status can be elevated in such manner all the way to 'saheeh'. I have come across some being deemed 'hasan' or 'jayyid', but not saheeh. Perhaps some one more knowledgeable can help us understand.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Asalaamu alaikum -

I am coming out of my self-imposed exile from this site to reply to this thread. I asked my shaykh - who I trust with my spiritual teaching in all things - about this Salaatul tasbih. He said that while its true all the ahadith that back this salaat are weak, the fact that there are so many of them ("at least 7 or 8", he said) that most scholars - while they agree the sunnah on it is weak - will accept the salaat as sahih.

I spoke to the shaykh after dhuhr today, and he said if there were only one or two weak ahadith, the act itself would be considered weak. But when there are so many weak ahadith for one act, its considered a stronger support.

And Allahu alim.

:salam2:

If different isnaad of a narration are found and all have some deficiency (which make it weak), then muhaditheen can strengthen their opinion/ruling on the hadeeth based on different chains found for same narration.

Though I didn't know that their status can be elevated in such manner all the way to 'saheeh'. I have come across some being deemed 'hasan' or 'jayyid', but not saheeh. Perhaps some one more knowledgeable can help us understand.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

As-salaamu `alaykum

If you check the link to the old thread that Sister Saima gave, it says that the first narration is "Sahih li-ghayrihi". Then at the bottom of the article in the form of a note we read, "Saheeh li-Ghairhi, this is a group of hasan hadeeth which combine and gain strength and then are considered saheeh."

There are two types of Sahîh, the Sahîh li-Dhâtihi and Sahîh li-Ghayri. The first type is a hadîth which is is sahîh in essence, and the latter by elevation (from Hasan) of supporting narrations.

Was-salaam

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال

Jazaakum Allaahu khaayr to those who has shared their knowledge.

I need to look into this matter deeper from both sides of evidences before making up my mind on which I will follow.

Anyhow, a few years back on the last day of Ramadhaan, since we do not pray taraweekh anymore, this mosque in my village did Solat Sunaat Tasbeeh; congregationally. I guess that was my first time doing Solat Sunat Tasbeeh.

Since there are 2 opinions from the Ulama'a regarding this issue, its best if we let others hold on to what they believe is the most correct as Brother Thariq has mentioned.

Allaah knows best.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam.

DanyalSAC

As-salaamu `alaykum

If you check the link to the old thread that Sister Saima gave, it says that the first narration is "Sahih li-ghayrihi". Then at the bottom of the article in the form of a note we read, "Saheeh li-Ghairhi, this is a group of hasan hadeeth which combine and gain strength and then are considered saheeh."

There are two types of Sahîh, the Sahîh li-Dhâtihi and Sahîh li-Ghayri. The first type is a hadîth which is is sahîh in essence, and the latter by elevation (from Hasan) of supporting narrations.

Was-salaam

JazakAllahu Khairyn...

I have to add here - we have to make sure that the ahadith that we're trying to attribute to this salaatul tasbih is actually for the salaat and not for the simple dhikr tasbih that we all do (or should be doing!) on our fingers after our salaat. Many of the ahadith that I read (on the other thread) that talk about the benefits of this salaat were, to the best of my knowledge, actually referring to the tasbih itself, when we sit in remembrance of Allah, not for the salaat that includes the tasbih in it. And Allah knows best.