Saudi women challenge driving ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

muharram23

Staff member
Ok salamu alaykum,

Let us hear from the saudi sisters. How many of them object to the prohibition of driving, and how many like it. Since i don't hear many saudi sisters who live there object to the prohibition as much as the people who don't live there. :)

Assalamu alaykum

Ok salamu alaykum,

Let us hear from the saudi sisters. How many of them object to the prohibition of driving, and how many like it. Since i don't hear many saudi sisters who live there object to the prohibition as much as the people who don't live there. :)

Assalamu alaykum

Salaam,

Did you read the article? Look at the excerpts below...

"A group of women in Saudi Arabia is for the first time to lobby the kingdom's government for the right to drive cars.

Members of the Committee of Demanders of Women's Right to Drive Cars plan to deliver a petition to King Abdullah by Sunday, Saudi Arabia's National Day.

It was originally unofficial, but became law after an incident in 1990, when 47 women challenged the authorities by taking their families' cars out for a drive."

If you want to drive- drive, if you don't want to don't. I'm going to leave it at that.

And Allah Knows Best

kayleigh

GOOD. Good for them. The law is absolutely ridiculous, inconvenient, and highly illogical. I hope Saudi's entire government will change one day, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon, unfortunately.

You're not protecting any type of familial values by either forcing your wife to stay indoors, or putting her in a car, alone, with a man she's not related to, which opens up a whole new world of abuse and accusations. Don't like your neighbor? Say she's having an affair with the driver. I'm sure there's at least a few cases of the drivers and the women have had some type of relationship, whether it be consensual or not. If anything it breaks down the family and corrupts values. and what an inconvenience for the husband. If I were married and my husband drove me everywhere I needed to go, he'd go absolutely bonkers.

Plus, I don't see how it's Western. Just because it's modern DOES NOT mean that it's Western. You can modernize without Westernizing. (& I think I've had this convo myself with apocalypse :D)

I'd go so far as to say not allowing women to drive, and therefore forcing them to use a driver, is wrong, because you're forcing her to go against Islam (being with a non-mahram man) in the name of Islam (when it's not Islam at all).

I'll tell you what though - if any man took away my car keys and told me I couldn't drive, I'd take him down, Saudi prince or not lol :p

justmuslim

well say mansha allah and i agree with u.

what has women driving has to do with the fact that were copying the western world??

i beleive like what shyhijabi said its more of a the culturally misogynistic tradition that prevents women from driving. The way it was being viewed as if Saudi women are created to make men sin by their flamboyantly "promiscuous" nature despute wearing niqaabs

people think we live in a more decadent society today while people have acted more or less the same way for centuries. It seems like there's more chaos now because of technology (internet & TV) but humans have basically behaved the same way for thousands of years (abortion, prostitution, drugs, alcohol, and so on)

To think that that a "perfect" era without sin is ridiculous. To think that men and women will immediately think about dating and exchanging number with that purpose is over exaggeration. BTW exchanging number is not bad (depending on the purpose). For some reason people always think of men and women as uncontrollable animals that without a separation will start partying and "everything".

I'm realistic. There has been sin in the past, there will be sin in the future. One has to deal with reality by facing it not ignoring it. Separation won't do anything. If people want to date and exchange numbers, they'll do it no matter what!!

Some people belief that any physical attraction is mostly on the part of the women. Women can't wear perfume at the mosque, but men can wear cologne. There's a great emphasis on avoiding any "misconduct" but some people over exaggerate and pursue personal agendas or cultural traditions that supersede Islam

If a woman drives a car could cheat on her husband with a strange man in the street then she could do the same thing with her chaffuer "driver" whom she depends on to drive her car! She could also cheat on her husband online , would u ban the internet service in Saudia for that?? Cheating isn't related to woman freedom for driving the car or not , it is something about self respect , esteem and trust!! If ur man has high self esteem and trusts u , he won't care about this matter even if u r flying a plane!

IVE SAID THIS BEFORE AND ILL SAY IT AGAIN:

Because everything, (repeat: everything), can leads to corruption. You can use a knife to kill somebody, or you can use it to make the best meal he ever had.

Women have a right to speak and be heard. That's all, even if you disagree with them.I'd say that women have to protect their holiness with God and men should control their desires. That sounds better!PEACE!!

muharram23

Staff member
U say that if am a guy i shouldnt complain. WHY?
Wouldn't guys stick up for womans right? Or will they say oh they are woman who cares as long as us guys can drive that is what it matters.
As from ur words brother it seems that ur reflecting that attitude.

Sister i respect and love my sisters in islam. When i see a sister hurt or something to her happen anywhere around the world, i feel the pain. Like i said, if a sister can;t drive, so what, what does she have to loose. Can't she do anything else? So, when the ulema say women can drive, then they will drive inshaAllah. Resulullullah s.v.s forbad the women from going to hajj then what about somewhere else. Sticking for women rights u said, yes i am sticking for women rights, but women have planty of rights in saudi arabia. And if they don't allow to drive its not like they can't do anything. There are more things to worry about in our deen then being able to drive. Such as more ibadah, sewm, knowledge of our deen, raising children to be good mujahdeen inshaALlah :). So, please dont be offended. Jazakallahu khairan

And Allah knows best

Assalamu alaykum

Muharram

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

You have to weigh things, if women in Saudi would be allowed to drive do you think the benefit of it would outweigh the disadvantages? I don't think so. Sure, there will be good that will come out of it but think about the numbers of bad things? The majority or shall I say ALL countries who have allowed women to drive freely, look at them...SubhanAllaah. Cite one country that is equally modest or more..

The Saudi government is doing a great job in protecting their people and avoid things which PROVOKES evil Masha Allaah.

May Allaah swt preserve Saudi Arabia AMEEN.

I think everyone has expressed their beautiful ideas regarding this matter enough. In the end, it's not our opinion that is to be heard :D so let's leave it upto the religious scholars and the Saudi government to decide. May Allaah swt help them decide which is best. Hmm let's put it this way, this is not about which is good or bad but rather which is better and which is BEST! :)

:wasalam:

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.