Share your funny convert stories

Faruq

Mine was yesterday at Jumu'ah, actually. I was sitting, anticipating the khutbah and all that good stuff and a Brother behind me started praying. Well, he ran into me on the left, so I moved a little to the right to be sure I was out of his way. Well... AFTER the khutbah, we resumed the Salah.. And the Brother who was behind me bowed for ruku' (as we all did) and ran his head into my rear. It reminded me of the Ummah Films video by Baba Ali.

I feel so bad for the brother, Agh! But it was kinda funny. Hahaha.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Ew, a brother mashed his head into your behind eh brother Faruq? lol.

And that story you said sister Umm0f3, it was hilarious! :lol:

amyaishazouaoui

:salam2:

Once I was taking another revert sister to the masjid for janazah..... it was her friends' daughter who had died.
Anyway, i went along for a nit of moral support and to "show her the ropes". It was zuhr time, so i went to the womens section to pray with her and no other sisters were there...which i thought was kinda strange. Anyway, i went down stairs to see if there were anyother sisters, to find the door locked.....I was like ahhhh ohh dear, so we spent the next 30 mins trying to get someone to let us out, and we were locked in this part of the masjid. I was cross, very cross!!!
Anyway, we missed the janazah and I never been back to the masjid again (its a not quite quran and sunnah one.... they have "pirs") Anyone in Birmingham will probably know the one I mean!!!

All entertainment eh???

:wasalam:

kayleigh

Assalam aliekum

You can chalk my funny story up to a cultural difference also...

Americans are known for their large circle of personal space...so, when my husband and I went for Umrah, it was my first time praying in a mosque.

It was before the prayer time, so I was sitting nicely in the Prophet's Mosque in Medina, readin the Qu'ran (in English). The call came and all the ladies started standing and lining up, so I followed suit.

The lady next to me scooted up close until we were touching shoulders...so I took a step to the right, then she scooted up again, so I stepped over again. She looked at me, shrugged, and didn't move.

It was only AFTER when I was telling my husband, "Geez, this crazy lady was LITERALLY touching me during the prayer - she wouldn't back OFF!" that my husband said, "Oh, yeah, you are supposed to be touching the person next to you when you pray in the mosque." I told him, "Gee, thanks a lot! I thought SHE was the crazy one, and she is probably telling stories about the crazy white lady she was standing next to!"

Lana

haha that's great, but I know what you mean. I still feel terribly uncomfortable about the whole thing as I'm not used to people being so close to me. I feel so claustrophobic and uncomfortable whenever I pray with other women.

al-muslimah

Salaam aleikum

Not mine, but my husbands...

The first time he prayed in Jamaat, at the end, they all went "Salaam aleikum warahmatullah..." and he turned to the guy next to him, saying "Wa aleikum salaam" lol

looolz..verry funny.it has been a while i didnt laugh that much..jazaki allahu khayran for sharing..:)

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Salaam aleikum

The first time he prayed in Jamaat, at the end, they all went "Salaam aleikum warahmatullah..." and he turned to the guy next to him, saying "Wa aleikum salaam" lol

LOL really I can't stop laughing. Jazakallaahu Khayr!

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

All the stories on here are funny :D When I first reverted, I had no idea on how to move in an abaya in prayer. Mine we all too long because I am short lol. Well basically when I got back up from prostrating, my foot got caught. Can you guess what happened? Indeed it was a chain reaction of women falling. Like 4 of us. I said really loud "Oh snap". I was hoping no one heard me, but they did.

I have had the few head-butt collisions but we usually laugh afterwards.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Salaam aleikum

salam aleikum
i was reading all the stories it made me lough,espessialy this one:SMILY303: I can't stop loughing ,coz Ive done the same and some other sisters too:lol:

wasalam

arabiantxn

Same here nothing funny, just uncomfortable....the feeling of not knowing what I'm doing and no one helping me is not fun... I always copied the person next to me while in the mosque

I shouldn’t say this but when I was really small I did the same thing until some one caught me. I was more like (3-4 years old)and i am a born muslim.

arabiantxn

Assalam aliekum

You can chalk my funny story up to a cultural difference also...

Americans are known for their large circle of personal space...so, when my husband and I went for Umrah, it was my first time praying in a mosque.

It was before the prayer time, so I was sitting nicely in the Prophet's Mosque in Medina, readin the Qu'ran (in English). The call came and all the ladies started standing and lining up, so I followed suit.

The lady next to me scooted up close until we were touching shoulders...so I took a step to the right, then she scooted up again, so I stepped over again. She looked at me, shrugged, and didn't move.

It was only AFTER when I was telling my husband, "Geez, this crazy lady was LITERALLY touching me during the prayer - she wouldn't back OFF!" that my husband said, "Oh, yeah, you are supposed to be touching the person next to you when you pray in the mosque." I told him, "Gee, thanks a lot! I thought SHE was the crazy one, and she is probably telling stories about the crazy white lady she was standing next to!"

Lana

This really happened to me about 5 days ago in Taraweeh prayers this brother standing next to me kept on putting his feet on top of my feet as to filling the gaps i tried moving twice then gave in. After that I had this other brother who was really excited about Ramadan he would liteary yell a’meem in my ear . It was pretty amusing

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Mine was yesterday at Jumu'ah, actually. I was sitting, anticipating the khutbah and all that good stuff and a Brother behind me started praying. Well, he ran into me on the left, so I moved a little to the right to be sure I was out of his way. Well... AFTER the khutbah, we resumed the Salah.. And the Brother who was behind me bowed for ruku' (as we all did) and ran his head into my rear. It reminded me of the Ummah Films video by Baba Ali.

I feel so bad for the brother, Agh! But it was kinda funny. Hahaha.

LOL now that's really funny bro, luckily it didnt have a domino like effect on everyone that was praying! :)

Amirah84

:salam2: UmmOf3 that really had me laughing !!!!!!! That's sooooooo funny... Very genuine as well mashaAllah.

Thanx for sharing.

Salaam aleikum

BGfromGB

Prayers.

I was quite fascinated by reading all the posts above. It seems that when you pray, there seems to be a sort of formal ritual proceedure when one starts to pray. ie standing to the left in leading prayers and touching shoulders etc. I didn't know this.

Is it wrong to have a "personal conversation" with the Almighty by not having to go through all these proceedures you describe above?

Some proceedures sound very "catholic" to me. What I mean by this is that the catholics have a rosary and use it to count the number of "Hail Mary's". I don't accept what the catholics do simply because it is not biblical, nor is it the way God intended for us to pray to him. I don't think that by going through ritual proceedures is not what God intended for us go go through when we want to have that personal relationship with him.

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
I was quite fascinated by reading all the posts above. It seems that when you pray, there seems to be a sort of formal ritual proceedure when one starts to pray. ie standing to the left in leading prayers and touching shoulders etc. I didn't know this.

Is it wrong to have a "personal conversation" with the Almighty by not having to go through all these proceedures you describe above?

Some proceedures sound very "catholic" to me. What I mean by this is that the catholics have a rosary and use it to count the number of "Hail Mary's". I don't accept what the catholics do simply because it is not biblical, nor is it the way God intended for us to pray to him. I don't think that by going through ritual proceedures is not what God intended for us go go through when we want to have that personal relationship with him.

Peace to you :)

We also have du'a..personal supplications to Allah that does not call for all the movements we do in obligatory prayer. Sometimes Muslims use beads to count "SubhanAllah", "Alhamdullilah", and "Allahu Akhbar"..33 times each. It is easier for me to use the beads than count on my fingers on my right hand. Some try to recite the 99 names of Allah.

We try to make ourselves the most humble when we pray to Allah. What better than to fall on your knees with hands raised in the air and call to your Lord? We thank Allah for everything standing, sitting, sleeping..the list can go on lol. I am sure you have heard this a lot but Islam is a way of life. Everything we do from sneezing, greeting someone, eating, drinking encompasses around our Creator. Insha Allah (God Willing) this information will reach the best of you :)

Peace out

zakiyah

muslim sis
Salaam aleikum

lolzzzzzzzz:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: .i burst out laughing n my mum is lookin at me in way if im feelin ok.lolz:biggrin:

zakiyah

muslim sis
This really happened to me about 5 days ago in Taraweeh prayers this brother standing next to me kept on putting his feet on top of my feet as to filling the gaps i tried moving twice then gave in. After that I had this other brother who was really excited about Ramadan he would liteary yell a’meem in my ear . It was pretty amusing

lolz:biggrin:

dawahforever

Asalaamu Alaikum

When I first became muslim I had one of those little prayer instructional booklets,(back in the day before internet!) and it said if you have gas you need to redo your wudu so I thought that included burping. I said to my friend who was also a convert..its so hard to keep redoing your wudu and she was laughing and told me that it didn't include burping (can someone please rewrite these booklets?!) And then she told me her story. When she first converted she thought you had to use soap whenever you did wudu so her skin was getting so dry then she found out you just need to use water.

Wa Salaamu alaikum
D4E

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
Asalaamu Alaikum

When I first became muslim I had one of those little prayer instructional booklets,(back in the day before internet!) and it said if you have gas you need to redo your wudu so I thought that included burping. I said to my friend who was also a convert..its so hard to keep redoing your wudu and she was laughing and told me that it didn't include burping (can someone please rewrite these booklets?!) And then she told me her story. When she first converted she thought you had to use soap whenever you did wudu so her skin was getting so dry then she found out you just need to use water.

Wa Salaamu alaikum
D4E

Lol this one is good lol. I see people use soap too and I am like "what"..I had a sister who reverted and she didn't know the rules of breaking wudu. Well she thought she couldn't drink anything at all, so here was this poor girl sitting there dehyrdrating herself because she didn't want to break her wudo.

Hey BG,

Dua is like a "personal conversation" with God, usually done after the mandatory prayers. In your dua you can ask God for whatever problems you have, whatever you need help in, whatever you want to be thankful of, etc. When performing mandatory prayers, we strictly recite verses from the Quran.

Hope that helped.