Sheikh explains why women dont drive in Saudi Arabia

Status
Not open for further replies.

revert2007

Love Fishing
well it depends on individual and men..if u wanna allow ur wife to drive..then go a head..if u don't allow ur wife to drive it is fine and there is no such thing as being oppressed..

my husband do not allow me to drive and am not oppressed...i have more freedom than any women who drive by the way..am treated as a queen and am proud that there is someone to take me there and here and why would i drive?

it is always personal oppinion and u just gotta check the whole thing from quran and sunnah and what they say about driving for woman..by the way..it is kindda weird though for a woman with niqab drive on the street...

Rashadi

So some feel that we should continue to ban women from driving as opposed to correcting the behavior of Muslim men? Does this seem utterly stupid to anyone else aside from me???

I say we ban men from driving and allow the women to traverse freely, sems it would handle the problem at the root, no? Afterall it is the MEN who are stalking women and it is the MEN who are trying to get her numbers. So then who should we restrict? I say the MEN! But banning women from driving is punishing and limiting women for the actions of men. How backwards and misogynistic.

The first command of modesty is for Muslim men and women to LOWER THEIR GAZE, not lock half the population up. I say we should ahve harsher punishments for hoodlums harrassing innocent women, let's hand out lashes to the boys and men who chase after innocent women and catcalling them. Hmmm me thinks the men will respond with silence on this one.

they are basically saying to punish tye rape victim rather than the rapist.

Rashadi

well it depends on individual and men..if u wanna allow ur wife to drive..then go a head..if u don't allow ur wife to drive it is fine and there is no such thing as being oppressed..

my husband do not allow me to drive and am not oppressed...i have more freedom than any women who drive by the way..am treated as a queen and am proud that there is someone to take me there and here and why would i drive?

it is always personal oppinion and u just gotta check the whole thing from quran and sunnah and what they say about driving for woman..by the way..it is kindda weird though for a woman with niqab drive on the street...

those are opinions as u stated and no evidence from quran znd sunnah. it's ur choice if u dont wanna drive. i don't find it weird when i see a niqabi driving. both men and women have responsibilities. we can't throw women in prison cuz some men can't behave or control their desire.

Rashadi

assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Well thats his opinion,

Question:

Questioner: Is it permissible for a woman to drive a car? Answer:

If it is permissible for her to ride upon a donkey then it is permissible for her to drive a car. Questioner:
But there is a difference between a donkey and a car.
Sh Al-Albaanee:
Which is more concealing ? riding upon a donkey or in a car? I would suggest (riding in) a car.

Shaykh Naasir ud-Deen al-Albaanee

women during time of rasulullah(saaws) used to even participate in wars and fought yet today they r supposed to be weak. rather than punishing the rape victim, go after the rapist and punish him. it's always a problem when ppl mix arab culture, indian culture or any other cultures with islam. saudi arabia is no different from other countries, and all have secular constitutions and laws.

revert2007

Love Fishing
those are opinions as u stated and no evidence from quran znd sunnah. it's ur choice if u dont wanna drive. i don't find it weird when i see a niqabi driving. both men and women have responsibilities. we can't throw women in prison cuz some men can't behave or control their desire.

a man can never get arouse for no reason n the reason is women...n that's the reason Allah ordered women to cover their awra..but many failed to do so...perhaps u are talking about a very small population of women who drives and keep their iman strong...but what about the bigger population?

ShyHijabi

Why is it any different than women who used to ride on camels or donkeys during Rasool's time? There is a hadith where Aisha raced camels with Rasool. And since the wives of Rasool were wearing nikaab by this time then goes to say women were permitted to travel on their own transportation.

If you are happy with someone transporting you then mash'Allah. But the point is women should be given the choice when it comes to this matter rather than being banned under the pretense of shariah. There is not hadith nor ayah indicating that women cannot drive their own vehicle and it is counter-productive to make haraam that which is halaal.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Why is it any different than women who used to ride on camels or donkeys during Rasool's time? There is a hadith where Aisha raced camels with Rasool. And since the wives of Rasool were wearing nikaab by this time then goes to say women were permitted to travel on their own transportation.

If you are happy with someone transporting you then mash'Allah. But the point is women should be given the choice when it comes to this matter rather than being banned under the pretense of shariah. There is not hadith nor ayah indicating that women cannot drive their own vehicle and it is counter-productive to make haraam that which is halaal.

i didn't ask for a banned neither do i happy about women driving...as i hv clearly said...let the individuals decide what is the best for them..a man called husband hv all the rights from banning his wife from driving...if a husband did so,we can never question that and say he is oppressing his wife..if a country is doing so,then it is the country's rules and we cannot argue about that...why is it ok for women to go nude on street but not ok to prevent them from driving?????

if a woman knows how to protect her honour and her husband's honour and know how to obey Allah....i dont hv problem with her driving in the first place :)

ShyHijabi

why is it ok for women to go nude on street but not ok to prevent them from driving?????

I never said it was okay for women to go nude, I think that is a straw man argument. The point is we can definitely state when something is wrong and a whole country banning women drivers is wrong and frankly, stupid. So is having women walk around barely dressed and calling it liberation. Both are forms of oppression to me.

FreedomFighter

:salam2:
i totally agree with brother ahmed indian women should not be allowed to drive because of fitnah and....lol see for your self
warning turn down volume please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wT7zM8XgXQ

:wasalam:
that is soo funny!!
happy0192.gif

a_stranger

So let me get this straight, it's better for women to have a non-mahrem (taxi-driver) to be in the car with them but it will be fitnah for her to drive herself? And women drive all the time with nikaabs on in this country, I see it everyday.

Bottom line is this, women were allowed their own transportation in Rasool's time (camels, horses, donkeys, etc.,) and were not forbidden. They should not be limited now because one guy thinks westerners have some ulterioir motivation to asking why women can't drive. Women are not stupid or helpless, not allowing them to drive is basically finding a way to keep them in a guilded cage, it is about control. Women in the West are stay at home mons who drive their children to school, pick up food from the market, and other numerous jobs that need to be done to help a house run smoothely. Women driving and being good wives and mothers is not exclusive.

Sister if most women in Saudi Arabia are like you , having true faith in Islam and good understanding then it will be very wise to let them drive but unfourtuntly many women in Arabia are just following blindly so now the doors of westren style of life are opened widly and they are just following ........our societies are suffering from many problems , schollars don`t want to widen the problem by letting women drive (now) ..........We need to repair islamic values that are broken then when gates of Fitna is closed and doors of goodness is reopened let women drive . WE are living in Arabia and seeing what is going on ........Some are using women to kill islamic values (Higab , modesty , taqwa) and make Saudi arabia just like any secular society.
and Allah knows better

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Just wanted to say that we have discussed this topic ad nauseum. Running in circles all the time. I dont think we are going to get anywhere discussing this.

I dont think the women here are going to agree with the ruling nor will the remaining percentage of people want to call out Saudi Arabia for this law.

Let us just leave the Saudi people with their own law and if their women folk really want to drive then Insha'Allah we will hear their protests etc. Till then we should just live with the fact that Saudi doesn't allow women to drive cars. As pointed by others, it is not prohibited by the scholars, but by the rulers of the country.

:wasalam:

Rashadi

a man can never get arouse for no reason n the reason is women...n that's the reason Allah ordered women to cover their awra..but many failed to do so...perhaps u are talking about a very small population of women who drives and keep their iman strong...but what about the bigger population?

there is something called "lowering the gaze" which must be observed by both genders and hijab is also something that must be observed by both genders. as for niqabis and hijabis, i know many that drive and they are still pious muslims. i don't get what driving has to do with niqab. and there are men who don't lower gaze and get aroused easy but we can't imprison women cuz of it.

saif

The doors hardly feel any disadvantage, when they are locked. The problem is, you don't understand, there is a basic difference between doors and women.

a_stranger

The resposibility of the muslem society

Islam does not give orders to muslems to do or don`t do : Islam do more than that It creates a society where it is easy for muslems to abandon wrongdoings ......It is the resposibility of the muslem society to make it easy for muslems to follow the noble teachings of islam : Our world is suffering from a mess and corruption of values and morality .......It is very wise to limit or stop the means of corruption .......This is the views of the schollars in Saudi Arabia.......The example of the west doesnot fit with islamic values at all. And Allah knows better

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
I'm a Saudi girl

I and the Most of women here we don't want to drive
we always say ( Queens Never drive ) ;)

I know some women want , but just saying actually the don't want and IF they want , they are very few .

In short

we love this situation and this law , we know what will happen if the women drive here , we can understand ourselves more than any one !!

Don't u all can leave the Saudi woman , don't put us under the microscope ;)

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
as sister above said, only few percantage follow Islam properly, dont u think women obsesses with western values, tank-tops, jeans will go on dating if given freedom to drive?

This is a little strange idea as if women are free to drive they will make freely dating... dating with who? Propably with men whose don´t respect islamic values at all.

Why make so much pressure for women but don´t teach men to respect same values too?

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
assalamu allaicum

I have found very interesting article about subject of this thread,where sisters from Saudia Arabia are expressing thier opinion and feelings regarding prohibition of driving for women.

She posted one very interesting video too,and by the way also funny.:) The video is actualy an experiment by one of man dressing up as a Saudi woman while driving and the other guy pretending to be a husband in need of medical attention in the passenger seat. Chaos ensues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idrEFHQmwac&feature=player_embedded

September 26, 2009...2:17 am
Please let us drive

The academic year is starting and it is so dreadful dragging the driver around. Tell me what should I do when I have a class that’s 90 minutes long and it takes a 30 minute drive to get there; it’s terrible to make the driver wait outside in the heat and I have to rush out asap so no after class discussions. Or do I let him take the car home and pay for double the gas and have to wait for him to get back?! And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I’m one of the lucky ones that have a driver to myself. I have cousins who sit at home after college because they don’t have a driver and their brothers and fathers are unwilling to drive them around. Others have one driver that they have to share with two or three other sisters. These are adults who have jobs and are responsible as teachers and bankers and yet they have to bear the huge inconvenience of scheduling their trips around each other plus taking into consideration breaks for the driver. And they can’t just hire another driver because it’s a lot more complicated than a few job interviews. They have to pay for a visa (about 2000$) and literally adopt a grown man by ensuring his accommodations, food and everything else.

In Saudi forums those who oppose lifting the ban on women driving have four arguments that they keep going on and on about:

1- There are much more important rights that Saudi women should be demanding and prioritizing above lifting the ban on driving. These “other rights” are never spelt out but left ambiguous in every single forum I’ve come across.

2- That women driving is prohibited in Islam. This has been refuted by the majority of living Saudi sheikhs. However the people who use this argument keep going back to fatwas written by two dead sheikhs who were the inspiration for today’s Taliban lifestyle in Afghanistan.

3- That Riyadh’s streets are already overcrowded and cannot take the influx that the lift of the ban might cause. To this I say, I have as much right to those streets as any man. Plus this is nonsense because most drivers have to make twice the trips that women would have without the drivers. For example the driver drops off a woman at work and goes home and then goes back to pick her up which means that that single car makes at least four trips a day. Hence using the streets twice as many times a woman would have if she was driving and parking her car at work.

4- Our men cannot handle seeing a woman behind the wheel. . And women would use it as an excuse to take off their face covers and act like the sinful adulterous beings that wise Saudi men have so far kept tame and locked up. To illustrate here’s a skit that was recently posted on Youtube, it’s in Arabic but there isn’t much talk going on so anyone can understand it. Two guys are hanging out and one guy’s sister calls and tells him that their father needs to go to the hospital and so he takes him. Later when they are hanging out again, one wishes that his sister could drive so that he wouldn’t have to worry about his father getting to the hospital. The other guy says no you don’t want that for your sister. They decide to conduct an experiment by one of them dressing up as a Saudi woman while driving and the other guy pretending to be a husband in need of medical attention in the passenger seat. Chaos ensues.

This ban on women driving makes no sense religiously because Muslim women should not be spending so much time and in such a small space with an unrelated man. It makes no sense economically. 27% of the Saudi population is made up of migrant workers. Sixteen billion dollars in salaries were sent outside Saudi by these workers in 2007 alone. And this sector of our population grows 5% annually. A fairly huge chunk of that 27% is men who come to drive Saudi women around. It makes no sense socially to have these strange men who we know nothing of driving our kids and teenagers around. It’s just not logical.

I propose that all Saudi men be banned from driving for at least three days so that they know what it’s like for us. Even better yet as a sign of solidarity with Saudi women, other countries should ban Saudi men from driving until they give us our right.

Status
Not open for further replies.