sign of the times; NYC taxicab driver stabbed because he is muslim

:salam2:

A city cab driver is in the hospital after being stabbed by a passenger who allegedly asked if he was Muslim, police tell NY1.

Investigators with the New York City Police Department say it all began Monday night when a 21-year-old man hailed a cab at 24th Street and Second Avenue in Manhattan.

Police say the passenger asked the driver, "Are you Muslim?" When the driver said yes the passenger pulled a knife and slashed him in the throat, arm and lip.

The 43-year-old driver was able to lock the passenger in the back of the cab and call 911.

Both the driver and the passenger were taken to Bellevue Hospital.

As of late Tuesday, no charges had been filed.

the news video is on the source page:http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/?ArID=124338

another writing about his in a nytimes blog:http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/cabbie-attacked/

we still have human devils out there in ramadhan. May Allah bring the muslim to a quick recovery and heal him.

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Our dua is with the brother. Insha'Allah, he will be fine.

We have to be so careful. We have to hold onto our faith. Please let us not spout out hate. We have to think.

I pray this was a simple case of a madman.

Assalaam walaikum,

Our dua is with the brother. Insha'Allah, he will be fine.

We have to be so careful. We have to hold onto our faith. Please let us not spout out hate. We have to think.

I pray this was a simple case of a madman.

it has to do with the demonizing of Islam by these islamaphobic channels finding hot spots to mark their message. You see they really don't care about a community center near world trade center. They want to try to start a trend and issue. their real motive is to get more and more people to think Islam is threatening, that way they can get reaction.

we will see in the upcoming days how more and more of this plays out.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Here is a recap of the press conference on this heinous act.

http://rude_write.blogs.com/iamblog...n-antimuslim-hate-crime-press-conference.html

For Immediate Release: August 26th, 2010
For More Information, Please Contact: Bhairavi Desai at 212-627-5248

Taxi Driver Brutally Attacked in Anti-Muslim Hate Crime
PRESS CONFERENCE
THURSDAY, AUGUST 26TH, 2010
1:00PM
City Hall Steps

Ahmed H. Sharif, 43, a yellow taxi cab driver slashed across the neck, face and shoulders by a passenger during an anti-Muslim hate crime will stand with fellow New York Taxi Workers Alliance members, and community, immigrant and Muslim organizations to call for an end to the bigotry and anti-Islamic rhetoric in the debate around the Park 51 Islamic Cultural Center, referred to as the Ground Zero Mosque. "I feel very sad. I have been here more than 25 years. I have been driving a taxi more than 15 years. All my four kids were born here. I never feel this hopeless and insecure before," said Mr. Sharif. "Right now, the public sentiment is very serious (because of the Ground Zero Mosque debate.) All drivers should be more careful."

On Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 Mr. Sharif picked up the perpetrator at 24th Street and Second Avenue, his first fare for the shift, and headed toward Times Square. The man, 21, started out friendly, asking Mr. Sharif about where he was from, how long he had been in America, if he was Muslim and if he was observing fast during Ramadan. He then first became silent for a few minutes and then suddenly started cursing and screaming. There, at about 6:15pm at Third Avenue between 40th and 41st Streets, he yelled, "Assalamu Alaikum. Consider this a checkpoint," and then slashed Mr. Sharif across the neck. As Mr. Sharif went to knock the knife out, the perpetrator, continuing to scream loudly, cut the taxi driver in the face (from nose to upper lip), arm and hand.

"While a minority of has-been politicians spew ignorance and fear, it's the working person on the street who has to face the consequences," said NYTWA Executive Director Bhairavi Desai. "This kind of bigotry only breeds more violence and makes taxi drivers all the more vulnerable on the streets where there are no bully pulpits or podiums to hide behind." The US Department of Labor reports taxi drivers to be thirty times more likely to be killed on the job than other workers.

The 13,000-member NYTWA called on the District Attorney to be vigilant in its prosecution of the attempted murder and hate crime and urged the Governor to sign the Taxi Driver Protection Act, passed by the state legislature on June 26th, 2010, increasing penalties on crimes against taxi drivers and requiring a sign in all taxis, "WARNING: Assaulting a Taxi Driver is Punishable by Up to Twenty-Five Years in Prison." "Maybe if the warning sign was there, this kind of stranger who comes to us with hatred would have to think twice," said Anwar Hossain. "At least we could feel safer and not alone. No matter what political issue is going on, at least we could be treated as equal Americans and feel protected."

JenGiove

Clarity

I saw this story on Military.com and I would like to include some left out information.

1) The person who did this was a young DRUNK university student....not a mad man. Just drunk and stupid.

2) In America, we can not declare him anything more than a suspect untill he is proven innocent OR guilty.

As much as this disturbed me, as an American, I could equally find incidents of violence against others simply because of stupidity or an unwillingness to learn and understand. Please do not make a judgment against us all for the stupidity of some.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Hello,

Firstly, I don't think anyone was generalizing and judging all Americans for the actions of this one idiot. Good and bad exist everywhere and any level-headed person knows that. For every hateful person in one country, there are five peaceful ones.

Secondly, drunk or not, it makes no difference what his physical state was. There is no excuse for what this man did. Plus, a drunk person doesn't act completely out of his own accord. He clearly must have felt hateful sentiments for Muslims which his intoxicated state allowed him to physically act upon. Alcohol doesn't have the power to transform people completely; it just helps them act out their impulses, no matter how deep and dark they are.

Finally, I don't see how this man can be considered a suspect rather than the fact that he IS guilty. There was no doubt that he committed this heinous act, he was caught trying to flee the scene, the taxi driver identified him, they have the knife. I don't know what else is left to indict him, when the evidence speaks for itself. He's being prosecuted by the DA and is getting EXACTLY what he deserves at the LEAST.

adnankhan

stabbing of taxi driver

This is the real and shocking news,my prayers r with the driver,may ALLAH give him health soon,AMEEN

JenGiove

Hello,

Firstly, I don't think anyone was generalizing and judging all Americans for the actions of this one idiot.

ShahnazZ,
Salam this Ramadan....You say that people are not generalizing about Americans, yet your own profile statement calls us "The Devil's Playground". How personal I take that hate. I am an American and this is my home. While I do not deny that our system of government and religious freedoms are quite different from those in other countries, this is still my home. I love my home. Because I am not Muslim, I feel like I am nothing but a guest here and when I see and read things like that on profiles and in posts, I feel like a hated and unwelcome guest. Can't you understand?? I view it as not very peaceful and loving and if I was just a casual viewer, I would see that as "proof" that all Muslims are terrorists who hate our country and should be treated with distain. How am I supposed to comfortable learning and asking questions if I feel hated?

Secondly, drunk or not, it makes no difference what his physical state was. There is no excuse for what this man did.

While I agree that what he did was reprehensible and he should be held accountable, in the United States, drunkenness is considered a "mental incapacity" just as being drugged or insane. Because its a VOLUNTARY incapacity, I think that's where the law gets fuzzy. While he was sober, he took the choice to get drunk knowing that he might get stupid..
Plus, a drunk person doesn't act completely out of his own accord. He clearly must have felt hateful sentiments for Muslims which his intoxicated state allowed him to physically act upon. Alcohol doesn't have the power to transform people completely; it just helps them act out their impulses, no matter how deep and dark they are.

Yes and no. I agree that he probably felt some inflated sense of "fight the good fight...we're good, you're bad...I'm big, you're little" morality. But in America, when you look up the word stupid idiot, a picture of a college fraternity male student is beside the definition... :p That one I can't help. In some respects, parents in the US ARE as stupid as we seem. :)
Finally, I don't see how this man can be considered a suspect rather than the fact that he IS guilty. There was no doubt that he committed this heinous act, he was caught trying to flee the scene, the taxi driver identified him, they have the knife. I don't know what else is left to indict him, when the evidence speaks for itself. He's being prosecuted by the DA and is getting EXACTLY what he deserves at the LEAST.

I didn't invent the law, I'm just letting you know. Sometimes its an open and shut case and sometimes the true reality is hidden and needs to be found. Unless you happen to have a degree that says you're certified to be a judge, lets leave it to the men and women who wear the black robes.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
ShahnazZ,
Salam this Ramadan....You say that people are not generalizing about Americans, yet your own profile statement calls us "The Devil's Playground". How personal I take that hate. I am an American and this is my home. While I do not deny that our system of government and religious freedoms are quite different from those in other countries, this is still my home. I love my home. Because I am not Muslim, I feel like I am nothing but a guest here and when I see and read things like that on profiles and in posts, I feel like a hated and unwelcome guest. Can't you understand?? I view it as not very peaceful and loving and if I was just a casual viewer, I would see that as "proof" that all Muslims are terrorists who hate our country and should be treated with distain. How am I supposed to comfortable learning and asking questions if I feel hated?

First of all, I know it is Ramadan. I appreciate the reminder although as a Muslim I am very well aware of what time of the year it is. It's actually the fact that it's Ramadan that is reminding me to exercise alot of patience while writing this response.

Secondly, you seriously misinterpreted why I named NYC "The Devil's Playground". That's NYC, not America. No one's calling YOU the devil's playground, it's New York City. That would by my own city. Not you. Not America. I'm sure Muslims would understand why I termed it as that but since you are not one, I'll explain it to you. Despite how great this city is and I kid you not, I love it to death, a Muslim's iman can be seriously tested while living here, in the sense that there all kinds of temptations and sins to be done here, moreso than anywhere else. One would have to live here to know. In fact I think even NEW YORKERS, Muslim AND non-Muslim understood what I meant. I have no idea what you took the phrase to mean and if its what I think it is, then you probably should have asked for clarification before assuming I was talking about all of America being "devils." For a Muslim struggling to maintain the purity of their iman, it is the "Devil's Playground" aka a TESTING GROUND. Not an actual devil's playground but then again you never asked me to clarify that.

Thirdly, and I cannot emphasize this ENOUGH, do not make the mistake of thinking you are the only person on this forum who considers America their home. NYC is the city I was BORN and RAISED in and I consider this my home so please don't act as if I'm some kind of outsider simply because I'm Muslim. I love this country AND I consider it my home as well. What I DON'T love is its foreign policy and its attitude towards everyone it "considers" an enemy. I DON'T love it's "right" to play God in this world. And I have every right to speak out against injustice in the world, EVEN if it is in my own backyard. Additionally, I have EVERY right to call this country my home just as much as you do and in no way, shape or form, did I promote any type of malice towards it. So I have no idea what "hate" you're talking about.

If you feel like a guest and feel that there is hatred promoted here on this board because of something you misinterpreted, it is best to come out with it and politely ask the person what exactly they mean by the statement instead of assuming you know what it means. Sometimes, I feel as if people are always waiting on the offense and just apprehending the moment to attack Muslims by latching onto something they say that they find questionable. Muslims themselves are guilty of that but so is everyone else. The proper thing to do is to maintain etiquette but at the same time issuing your question. Attacking someone isn't going to get you anywhere and I invite you to ask me whatever other questions you may have as long as you are looking for the actual truth and not a fight.

I didn't invent the law, I'm just letting you know. Sometimes its an open and shut case and sometimes the true reality is hidden and needs to be found. Unless you happen to have a degree that says you're certified to be a judge, lets leave it to the men and women who wear the black robes.

Sure thing. So I expect we will be seeing him given the maximum punishment. After all, if it was the other way around and a Muslim had attacked a non-Muslim...well we know just how those men and women in black robes would vote now, wouldn't we?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Sometimes, I feel as if people are always waiting on the offense and just apprehending the moment to attack Muslims by latching onto something they say that they find questionable. Muslims themselves are guilty of that but so is everyone else. The proper thing to do is to maintain etiquette but at the same time issuing your question. Attacking someone isn't going to get you anywhere and I invite you to ask me whatever other questions you may have as long as you are looking for the actual truth and not a fight.

BarakAllahu feeki for actually bringing that up. Any mention of USA in supposedly non positive light leads to posts that assume that we are judging American people as a whole and terming them as 'evil/bad people'. (assumptions, assumptions !) While completely overlooking (or trying to find out) what the person is actually trying to say and what has lead him/her to hold such opinions or write what they have written. Don't we welcome all members here with warm and open arms regardless of where they come from ? A quick look at the Introduction subsection would make it quite clear. If we harbored ill feelings towards Americans, it would have been clear from the onset. (It makes me sad to even type this here).

All of this, when most of the members like you have actually spent all your life in USA and call it home & still are viewed as anti-American. Strange, isn't it ?

I don't quite understand why some members (they know who they are) need to make an emotional attack on the board and go all defensive everytime someone discusses policies of USA. If someone doesn't see eye to eye with you just try to engage with him/her in meaningful conversation and if it doesn't lead to a positive outcome, just step back and let the topic go. It reminds me of chauvinism and blind patriotism. Two things that I have come to detest.

A point to keep at the back of our heads is also is that with the foreign policies that USA has undertaken, it is pretty safe to say that the number of threads praising the acts of US govt are going to be close to zero. And the number of ones criticizing them are going to be substantial. If something like that made me uncomfortable, I wouldn't view it for my personal mental peace. But coming out in self pity and emotional backlash is just wrong and it does effect the friendly discourse that this site is so well known for.

And since it's Ramadan.. I better stop now..

And sister shahnazz, you have restrained yourself quite well in your post. May Allah azz zawajal reward you for your patience. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

DanyalSAC

a cnn video about this very subject, not all americans are like this now:
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay...2/am.feyerick.islamophobia.cnn?iref=allsearch

Out of left field here: at 1:24 into the video she is interviewing 4 American shayuk... the one her far right, the one in the white thobe is shaykh Jamal Zarabozo who is a member of my masjid's congregation, I am lucky to chat with him after almost every khutbah. The one sitting next to him is shaykh Waleed Basyouni, who taught my very first Islamic class about a month after converting ("Torchbearers: Scholars of Islam"). They are both wonderful guys with a great sense of humor. The other two I've seen interviewed before and have heard their lectures (they are teachers with the Al Maghrib Institute).

I'm a bit disappointed neither of these amazing men were allowed to talk - at least on camera.

Sorry, just my little "Hey! I know them!" moment! :)

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Out of left field here: at 1:24 into the video she is interviewing 4 American shayuk... the one her far right, the one in the white thobe is shaykh Jamal Zarabozo who is a member of my masjid's congregation, I am lucky to chat with him after almost every khutbah. The one sitting next to him is shaykh Waleed Basyouni

Yes, they are both well known personalities in the US.. :)

And that is really great that Sh Zarabozo attends your masjid. Sh Basyouni is an excellent teacher as well. I have watched some of his program on huda tv. He presents his topics really well.

Mamluks

Regardless of this, Allah will spread Islam everywhere, to every house to every corner.
drove the kuffars.
Allah may give him (the killed bros.) Allah`s mercy, inshallah, for his such fate, wish him better life in Qabir.

JenGiove

First of all, I know it is Ramadan. I appreciate the reminder although as a Muslim I am very well aware of what time of the year it is.

ShahnazZ,

When I had said "Salam this Ramadan", it was not as a reminder....it was a greeting. If it was your perception that it was anything else, then it is as it is and for that I am sorry. I have sat for several days with your response, thinking it over, and since this is such a....hmmmm....sensitive<?> subject, I have decided to wait untill after the holiday to fully respond.

I wish you well.

Salam