Smell from the mouth of a fasting person

MubarekMuslimah

Assalaamu alaikum

The Prophet said, "Allah said: The Fast is for Me and I will give the reward for it, as he (the one who observes the fast) leaves his sexual desire, food and drink for My Sake. Fasting is a screen (from Hell) and there are two pleasures (moments of happiness or joys) for a fasting person, one at the time of breaking his fast, and the other at the time when he will meet his Lord. And the smell of the mouth of a fasting person is better in Allah's Sight than the smell of musk." [Bukhari]

What I would like to know is - what causes this smell? Somedays I get it and somedays I don't. I have been told it is a smell from the stomach and then someone else told me it is a sign of dehydration.

Does anyone know? just wondering why sometimes get it and other days not. (I have nice healthy teeth alhamdulillah so its not my teeth!)

Wasalaams

danial

i dont think its got anything to do with fasting. i think its jus when u dont eat or drink for long periods. it comes from the stomach.i think.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalaamu alaikum

The Prophet said, "Allah said: The Fast is for Me and I will give the reward for it, as he (the one who observes the fast) leaves his sexual desire, food and drink for My Sake. Fasting is a screen (from Hell) and there are two pleasures (moments of happiness or joys) for a fasting person, one at the time of breaking his fast, and the other at the time when he will meet his Lord. And the smell of the mouth of a fasting person is better in Allah's Sight than the smell of musk." [Bukhari]

What I would like to know is - what causes this smell? Somedays I get it and somedays I don't. I have been told it is a smell from the stomach and then someone else told me it is a sign of dehydration.

Does anyone know? just wondering why sometimes get it and other days not. (I have nice healthy teeth alhamdulillah so its not my teeth!)

Wasalaams

:salam2:

I don't think it's from the stomach. I feel it's because no drinking and eating can reduce the flow of saliva which helps eliminate bacteria in our mouth.

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
:SMILY139: hello!

Check out the mouthwash post.....

Thankfully if it gets problematic we can use this! I have a mini bottle of mouth wash in my desk drawer in readiness!

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum,

I have observed that people brush their teeth but not all people might care to brush their tongue.

Whenever you do brush then clean your tongue too, specially the tongue area near throat. This cleaning should be done when you are not with fasting. (cuz if you clean with toothpaste or use water then it can go inside your stomach to break your fasting).

Wassalaam

justoneofmillion

AssalaamuAlaikum,

I have observed that people brush their teeth but not all people might care to brush their tongue.

Wassalaam
assalam,so true there is where the bacteria love to chill the most..look at my teeth hun?i don`t think anybody`got cleaner teeth watch hun:D see at least i found something positive in that area!
Allah swt hafiz

sindbad showing off episode