Smoking Haram-Why?

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Salam aleikum
Brothers and sisters I would like to share this article with you.Ive seen a lot of discussions on this subject .But this is just a reminder,on how much smoking can affect somebody's health and why it is haram ...

Smoking Haram-Why?

The declaration that "There is no God Worthy of being worshipped except Allah & that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah", demands that the Muslim accepts the Decrees set by Allah and by His Messenger-Muhammad (p.b.u.h.)

Islam is a Revelation from Allah with a complete code of life. It tells what is good and what is evil: Allah says in the Holy Quran: And We have shown him (man) the two ways (good and evil). (Quran 90/10)

He allows them all that is good and lawful, and prohibits them as unlawful all that is evil (things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, drinks, etc.). (Quran 7/157)

So, is smoking (cigarettes, pipes, etc.) evil or not? Let us examine its effects:

* Smoking is a killer: causes lung-cancer, lung-tuberculosis and heart diseases.
Allah says: And do not kill yourselves. (Quran 4/29)
He also says: And do not throw yourselves into destruction. (Quran 2/195)

These verses are sufficient to make smoking Haram.
* Smoking is a wasting of wealth. Allah says: ...But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift, Verily, spendthrifts are brothers of the devils, and the Devil (Satan) is ever ungrateful to his Lord. (Quran 17/26-27)

* The smoker is unjust to himself as well as his family by burning away his money and his chest!

* The smoker not only causes harm to himself, he/she also inflicts harms upon others around him/her.

The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) said: "There should be neither harming nor reciprocating harm." (Saheeh Al-Jami 7517)

* The smokers cause the spread of evil; they smoke openly and thus encourage others to do the same.

* The smokers dislike fasting and praying because they become impatient. They want to go for the next "round". The smoker becomes like an edict.

* The smoker smells bad! His car, home, clothes etc. carry the bad smell too.

From the above, it is clear that smoking is evil and thus it is Haram (unlawful).
If you are under any kind of stress, then turn to Allah, read the Holy Quran, and be with non-smokers. Seek Allah's help and don’t be enslaved to something that burns you and your money.

By: Dr. Saleh As-Saleh
Source: www.islamunveiled.org

ARMANI

:mashallah: :mashallah:

Thanku very much for sharing this article..
Smoking is really harmfull to health and wealth too..
Thanks to Allah i gave up long time ago..

Xx_InTrUdEr_xX

wsalam, very nice article.

However, there are differnce of opinions amongst scholars about smoking. Some indeed say it is "haram" whereas some label it as "makrooh e tehrimi" , highly diksliked.
Ulamaa all over the world differ on which word is used to rule cigarettes. Some say it is absolutely Haram because it is a slow method of suicide and suicide is Haram in Islam. Some base it on the following too:
- Danger to health
- Environment - Disturbing people around
- Addiction
- Bad Smell - Disturbing people around
- Waste of money
- Some even say it intoxicates the body

The best opinion regarding smoking is Makrooh At-Tahrimi as there is not enough strength in all the above points to say smoking is Haram. Makrooh At-Tahrimi is a disliked act very close to Haram. Most of the above points are disliked acts in Islam as well as Haram. E.g. Bad smell is disliked whereas Harming other Muslims is Haram.

The reason why the above points can not be valid to say that smoking is completely and clearly Haram is as follows:

1. Slow Suicide, Killing ones self slowly:

a) Suicide is indeed Haram. However, it is almost impossible to prove that smoking is decreasing life span.

Our Aqaaid (Beliefs) is that Allah has written the time of death referred to in the Qur'aan as "Ajal" (Fixed Time). Therefore, how can one claim smoking decreases life?

b) Many men have died due to smoking heavily and were confirmed by doctors as smoking being the cause. On the

other hand, there are old men at the ages of 80+ who still smoke. This shows it is not whether they smoke or

not that matters, it is how much and to what level of tobacco is inhaled. Due to this, in certain

circumstances, smoking can become Haram. However, it is not enough to clarify it Haram in general.

2. Danger to health:

There is no doubt and no individual from the common people to educated scientists deny the fact smoking does harm the health. Indeed it harms health. The ruling of Haram can not be based on this? Verses such as the following have been used to come to this decision:

"...make not your own hands contribute to your destruction..." (Surah al-Baqarah 2:195);
"...nor kill yourselves..." (Surah al-Nisaa 4:29)

The first verse refers to destroying yourselves and making yourselves weak by not spending in the path of Allah (Jihad) as stated in the early portion of the verse and described in Tafaaseer books such as Tafseeru Qurtubi, Jalalayn, Tafseeru Uthmani, Tafseer Ibn Kathir etc. When using this verse as the reason for smoking to be Haram, only the middle portion of the verse is used and also in the litteral meaning.

The second verse refers to killing each other amongst Muslims as described earlier in the verse for which reason it is also the preferred meaning according to Mufassireen.

Even if this was the case, besides cigarettes, how many other products are out there that harm your health?

Should all this become Haram too for this reason? The conclusion is simple. Islam does not encourage in any way unhealthy products including cigarettes but it will not neccessarily become "Haram"

3. Addiction

Again, although addiction is very dangerous spiritually, physically and financially, the term "Addiction" itself is not enough to rule something Haram. Drinks, certain foods and many other things can be addictive to different types of people. Addiction to something can not make something Haram generally.

Bad Smell, disturbing others around

This has also been stated backed up by Ahadeeth regarding harming the neighbours. Firstly, in this matter,

smoking would not harm the neighbours, and if "neighbours" is interpreted as "those around you (close),"

then it would mean that any smell, whether from smoking, or eating something oily to even sweating should be Haram in the presence of others. Therefore, although smoking in public is harming others with the dangers of
passive smoking etc. hence, disliked and sinful, smoking itself would not be ruled Haram.

Waste of money

Allah (swt) clearly states in the Qur'aan regarding Israaf (To use more than necessary). In this case, wasting money. Israaf is Haram.

This is where the Ulamaa differ again. Some say that smoking is Israaf as there is no benefit and maximum harm which we all understand and accept. Some say smoking would not fall under Israaf if one smokes as smoking is the smoker?s choice of provision. If the smoker had excessive amount then it would fall under Israaf.

As there are unlimited amounts of acts, deeds and choices of Muslims that fall under the first category, many everyday life things would also be Haram under that view. With the second view, Haram is not avoided, it will be Haram but only when a person chooses to smoke more than needed.

This is an endless debate.

Intoxicates
Smoking does not intoxicate therefore it can not be Haram. A statement by Martin Broughton, the chairman of the British American Tobacco to the Common Health Committee states:
Smoking does not intoxicate, does not require ever-increasing consumption to maintain its pleasure, is not a short-term risk to health, does not cause family violence and is not a destabilising risk to society. Today in the UK, even though over a quarter of the adult population smokes, there are more ex-smokers than smokers.

Without Doubt, Allah knows best, but scholars do differ on this smoking matter.​

user expired!

asalamualaykum wa rahmatullah,

Okay the argument of smoking being Makruh may have been valid 10 years ago as there was not enough CLEAR evidence about the side effects of smoking!

However, today we have CLEAR evidence about the side effects of smoking! and some Shcolars even say it is worse then PORK! Yes worse then Pork because by eating Pork you are disobaying Allah and Harming yourself but by smoking you are causing Harm not only to yourself But to those around you as well.

BUT Allah knows best!

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Im really shocked when I hear people saying its Makrooh or Halal .I mean Allah SWT has given us brain,how can be smoking halal,when it brings so much harm ,plus its totally waste of money..
Anyway I dont want argue ,its just was a reminder ....
brother can u also provide a source for the fatwa u posted ...
Jazakallah khair

waaleikum salam

Xx_InTrUdEr_xX

Okay the argument of smoking being Makruh may have been valid 10 years ago as there was not enough CLEAR evidence about the side effects of smoking!

However, today we have CLEAR evidence about the side effects of smoking! and some Shcolars even say it is worse then PORK! Yes worse then Pork because by eating Pork you are disobaying Allah and Harming yourself but by smoking you are causing Harm not only to yourself But to those around you as well.

BUT Allah knows best!

indeed rightly said....but i dont smoke myself.
If smoking really has side effects, why dont it effect "every person" ? i never heard that its worser then pork and never came across any point which said that, there are various ways one can disrespect Allah and disrespecting Allah isn't a small thing.

I am not here to argue but just like trying to think logically, smoking harms ur body. What about other food ingredients? caffinee? etc etc, the list is not small.
Recently i was reading "white bread" causes cancer, now if u eat white bread, its not haram now is it.... this was on "bbc report"

Haram things are mentioned by Allah. One can't just come out of nowhere and classify anything as "haram". The highest level is "makroohe tehrimi" i suppose.

Brother u mentioned side effects, anything has side effects, from smoking to medicine, i don't "personally" think that this is enough to classify it as you have done.

"...make not your own hands contribute to your destruction..." (Surah al-Baqarah 2:195);
"...nor kill yourselves..." (Surah al-Nisaa 4:29)

The first verse refers to destroying yourselves and making yourselves weak by not spending in the path of Allah (Jihad) ....
The second verse refers to killing each other amongst Muslims as described earlier in the verse for which reason it is also the preferred meaning according to Mufassireen.

Allah knows best!​

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

What amazes me is that many of the `ullema ruled smoking to be haraam, when its side effects were totally unknown and when it was first introduced to the Muslim lands. Yet now, when the side effects are clear, you find more people saying it is halaal and makrooh and not haraam. What amazes me further is that here in the UK it has been outruled to smoke in any public buildings, yet the Muslims lands who should be closing the doors to such evils are still allowing it, in many cases doing nothing about it. In addition I have seen many say, it is halaal for men but haraam for women?!

There are many books on the matter and the fact that it is a cause of death (smoking kills labels). Yes our live-spans have been decreed by Allaah, but I'm not gonna speed without my seatbelt on and yell Qadr-Allaah as an excuse, because one knows that it can save their life and that not wearing it is more likely to lead to death (in most cases)?! Smoking is the same, by doing it, you are initiating risk.

Smoking harms the lungs of even the one near its smoke. I can't see how one can dispute it being haraam, I seriously can't.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum, there are quite a few people that have smoked everyday tin their life and have lived up to the age of 90. Scientifically, it is known that smoking increases the risk of getting cancer etc. But this isn't always the case 100% of the time (more like 95% of the time lol). Maybe that is why some scholars say it is makrooh (because certain people will not be affected by any adverse affects) and others say it's fully haram.

But any health professional will advise you to not smoke. Unless you live in Mexico city in which case it does not matter if you smoke or don't smoke - the city air is just as polluted. Salam alaikum.

user expired!

Okay brother where did you get the idea of

there are various ways one can disrespect Allah and disrespecting Allah isn't a small thing.

Im Just confused?

and...

Is self-harm Halal in Islam? Obiviously not! Smoking not only affects the smoker but also all the people around them!

user expired!

Question:
Is smoking cigarettes Haraam?

Answer:

Praise be to Allah and peace and blessings be on His Prophet SAWS.

Smoking is one of the things which has caused a lot of problems and harm these days and it has spread like wild fire. Before we discuss this topic in detail, we should know that Allaah the Almighty has divided things in the world into two types, good or permissible (al-tayyibaat, al-halaal) and evil or prohibited (al-khabaa'ith, al-haraam), and there is no third type. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning) in surat al-A'raaf (7:157):

"And He makes good things halaal for them and bad things haraam."

Considering this fact, smoking can either be permissible and good or prohibited and evil.

Thus, we present some of its characteristics and let the person asking the question see himself in which type lies smoking.

There is no disagreement among the physicians and sane people that smoking is harmful for health. It is one of the major causes of lung cancer and other diseases. It is also one of the major causes of death. Since, it is known that the Islamic law prohibits everything that is harmful for a human being. Allah said (interpretation of meaning):
"Do not kill yourself. Allah is Merciful unto you." (Surat al-Nisaa' 4:29)

In addition, His Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him) said:

"There is no harm or causing of harm (in Islaam)." (Arabic "laa darar wa laa diraar")

He SAWS (peace be upon him) also said:

"A person will not be able to move on the Day of Judgment until he is asked about ... his body as to what he engaged it in."

Smoking also goes against the saying of the Prophet SAWS:

"Your body has a right on you."

There is no disagreement among the physicians and sane people that smoking is harmful for the health of others who inhale the polluted breath of the smoker. Medical research has proven the harmful effects of smoking mothers on their children.
The offensive smell caused by smoking is a source of pain to the worshippers of Allah among humans and angels. The angels are offended and suffer from the same things that the human beings suffer from. Allah said (interpretation of the meaning):
"Those who cause harm to believing men and women without any reason do a great sin." (Surat al-Ahzaab, 33:58)

The money that is spent on cigarettes is used on buying a harmful thing and is therefore an extravagance. Allah said (interpretation of the meaning):
"… and do not be extravagant wasters. Those who are extravagant are kinsmen of Satan." (Surat al-Israa' 17:26-27)

Extravagance (in Islam) means spending on something haraam.

Spending money on cigarettes is a waste of resources as well. The Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him) said:

"A person will not be able to move on the Day of Judgment until he is asked about ..... what he owned as to how he spent it."

Considering all that has been presented, it can be clearly seen that smoking is an evil among many others. It is not permissible to indulge in it, or buy and sell it, or even to offer it to others. It is incumbent on a person who is addicted to it that he must make all efforts and get whatever necessary treatment to stop it. If the unbelievers have understood the harm caused by smoking and made laws regarding it, the Muslims should be even more eager to stop it and treat those who are addicted to it.

We ask Allah the Almighty to cure everyone indulging in this evil and help him in giving it up. Allah is the Best Guide to the Right Path.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
not this topic again..

Smoking? Haram? Why of course not!
Durr, of course it's haram. ok, leave religion aside, leave health professionals aside, use your common sense and logic people. How the hell can smoking be halal? plz justify!

beliefinone

As salaamu alaikum everyone:

I am definitely one of the Muslims who find it hard to believe that anyone in their right minds believe that smoking is okay. I really don't get that and never will. As muslims we pride ourselves on being different. People are always talking about the christians and jews do this and that we don't want to be like them Blah Blah Blah, then you see a kufi wearing brother and a hijab wearing sister with a cigarette dangling out of their mouths, that's sad. What can one say to a non believer because I know a pentecostal/apostolic christian and many other christian groups are not trying to hear no dawah after seeing that because we are suppose to have it together.

We are always trying to discipline ourselves on various issues, but that monkey still riding the backs of many. I can understand a new convert having to slowly get rid of this habit, but some folk have been in Islam since forever and still say "but the ruling say..." That's crazy.

Just today, I was in the store and while waiting in line I was reading a cigarette or blunt package. It said Surgeon General Warning. "This product may cause cancer of the lung and mouth even if not enhaled". Sad!

Wow, so it doesn't ALWAY cause cancer, asthma, emphysema "okay, And! This thought is as crazy as folk who feel not everyone will get a disease from unprotected sex! So I guess one just keep testing that thought! We should want to live our live in a manner that we are not rushing to death by way of our own weaknesses. We should not pollute our internal organs or those of our families. Our life is a blessing from Allah Ta ala, and we should not take that for granted.

I could never marry a chain smoking muslim brother.

Salaams
G:tti_sister:

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum

If smoking really has side effects, why dont it effect "every person" ?
[
I am not here to argue but just like trying to think logically, smoking harms ur body
Brother it does .It causes a lung cancer :( I witness someone very expencive to me going thru this right now ,because of smoking :SMILY23:

waaleikum salam

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
salam aleikum

:( I witness someone very expencive to me going thru this right now ,because of smoking :SMILY23:

waaleikum salam

:shymuslima1:
I am going through the same thing. Some of my relatives smoke but my dad is super strict on smoking. I was already warned since young and i was always afraidof him, well most of the time...

My friend told me he wants to quit smoking, but i doubt he will. 1 great tip to help people quit smoking is not to mix with smokers, because you can get influence easily. I gave my friend this advice, anyways it is not easy to quit.

thank God i have never smoke before but i used to be a heavy passive smoker

q8penpals

Salam

My grandfather died from slowly suffocated to death (over a number of years) because of the emphyzema caused by cigarettes destroying his lungs. My father (thanks God!) quit smoking after 45 years of smoking - his blood pressure went down within 1 month, but a lot of damage had already been done - his lungs are damaged (he coughs like a freight train), he lost several teeth, and had heart surgery - all related to the damage caused by smoking. My father-in-law spent the last 3 months of his life gasping for every breath due to lung cancer after over 50 years of smoking.

Yes, God may have decided your last day already, but you can be part of HOW. This is the arguement I use for pleading with people in Kuwait to use car seats for their babies. Yes, God has decreed when you will die, but if MY baby were going to die today, I would rather the baby die simply and peacefully in the back seat, strapped in a car seat, than to died like too many babies and children in Kuwait - thrown out of the car in an accident and smashed on the road.

God has given us education, inventive people, and common sense. We have learned how bad smoking is for us (and those around us), people have invented car seats, seat belts, bike helmets, etc,. that we have use these items to protect the body that God has loaned to us, and w should all have common sense to actually use things to be safe and healthy while on Earth.

Lana

PS - And for those who are more concerned with your looks - smoking causing wrinkles around the mouth where you "purse" your lips around the cigarette. Smoking is about the most unattractive thing women (especially) can do, in my opinion. It just looks bad.