Star and crescent as islamic symbol?what is its significance in Islamic history

Today, the star and crescent is widely accepted as a symbol of the Islamic faith, and is used in decorative arts, jewelry, and national flags- much like the cross in Christian countries.The star and the crescent as depicted in a few flags of Muslim countries.Is this symbol having any significance in the Islamic faith., as per sunnah, or during time of four caliphs or islamic rulers,. In other words, what was the reason for depicting these symbols on flags iof islmaic countries.Contrary to the general public’s thought, the star and crescent is not Muslim in origin, but thought to be from the Ottoman Empire (the Ottoman Empire existed five centuries, and, at the height of it’s power, included the Middle East and parts of North Africa).
The color green also has a place in Islam. It is thought to be Prophet Muhammad’s (peace and blessings be upon him) favorite color, and it is also found in many mosques. Some people believe that the color green represents vegetation and life. Also, during the Crusades, green was the color that Islamic soldiers used. Some people think that Prophet Muhammad’s (peace and blessings be upon him) battle flah has been white with kalima shahada
The fact that there is a significant difference between 'symbols of the Islamic faith' and 'symbols adopted by Muslims'. One may, however, ask why did this symbol got attached as islamic symbol when it -what is truth

Amir_of_spain

Asalam wailkium.
Personally speaking, I don't think its important or much of a serious issue. It's just a quick way of identification which probably was necessary during times of war and conflicit during the past. In today's time it's a symbolic way of decorating the flag so the different variations all indicate the country has it's historical origins in the Islamic faith.

Amir

Idris16

Taking the crescent as a symbol
What is the symbolism behind the Muslim star and crescent? I did a keyword search of your site and searched my library's reference books and cannot find anything more than a reference to the flag of the Ottoman Empire. Thank you for your interest.

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no basis in sharee’ah for taking the crescent or star as a symbol of the Muslims. This was not known at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or at the time of the Khulafa’ al-Raashidoon (the first four leaders of Islam after the death of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or during the time of the Umawis (Umayyad dynasty). It emerged some time after that, and historians differ as to when this symbol was first adopted and who was the first to adopt it. Some say it was the Persians, others say it was the Greeks, and that this symbol was somehow passed to the Muslims. (See Al-Taraateeb al-Idaariyah by al-Kittaani, 1/320). It was said that the reason why the Muslims adopted the crescent was that when they conquered some western countries, the churches there had crosses on top of them, the Muslims replaced the crosses with these crescents, and the practice spread in this way. Whatever the case, symbols and banners must be in accordance with the teachings of Islam, and as there is no evidence that this symbol is prescribed by Islam, it is better not to use it. Neither the crescent nor the star are symbols of the Muslims, even though some Muslims may use them as symbols.

As regards what Muslims think about the moon and the stars, they believe that they are part of the creation of Allaah, and as such can neither benefit nor harm people, and they do not have any influence over events on earth. Allaah has created them for the benefit of mankind, an example of which is seen in the aayah or verse of the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning):

“They ask you (O Muhammad) about the new moons. Say: These are signs to mark fixed periods of time for mankind and for the pilgrimage…” [al-Baqarah 2:189]

[The commentator] Ibn Katheer said, explaining the phrase Say: these are signs to mark fixed periods of time: “From them (the new moons) they may know the times for repaying loans, the ‘iddah (waiting period) of their women [after being divorced or widowed] and the timing of their Hajj (pilgrimage)… Allaah has made them signs to mark the times when Muslims should start to fast and break their fast [the beginning and end of Ramadaan], to count the ‘iddah of their women and to know the times for repaying loans.” (Tafseer Ibn Katheer).

[Another commentator] Al-Qurtubi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his commentary on this aayah [verse]: “This explains the wisdom behind the waxing and waning of the moon, which is to avoid any confusion in appointed dates, dealings, oaths, Hajj, ‘iddah, fasting, breaking fasts, length of pregnancy, rentals and other matters that concern mankind. Similar to this aayah are others (interpretation of the meanings):

‘And We have appointed the night and the day as two aayaat (signs). Then, We have made dark the sign of the night while We have made the sign of day illuminating, that you may seek bounty from your Lord, and that you may know the number of the years and the reckoning…” [al-Isra’ 17:12]

‘It is He Who made the sun a shining thing and the moon as a light and measured out its (their) stages, that you might know the number of years and the reckoning…’ [Yoonus 10:5]

Counting the new moons is easier than counting days.” (See Tafseer al-Qurtubi).

With regard to the stars, the scholars of Islam say that Allaah created these stars for three reasons: to adorn the heavens, to drive away the devils (shayaateen) and as signs for navigation. (Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Kitaab Bad’ al-Khalq), as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“It is He Who has set the stars for you, so that you may guide your course with their help through the darkness of the land and the sea…” [al-An’aam 6:97]

“And indeed We have adorned the nearest heaven with lamps, and We have made such lamps (as) missiles to drive away the shayaateen (devils), and have prepared for them the torment of the blazing Fire.” [al-Mulk 67:5]

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Islam!!yay

I think the crescent moon symbolizes a new religion , and the star means one ummah . I think ....i dont know .

Salem9022

the cresent and star was never used by the Umayyad Era, I dont know where you heard that from. The first time it was used was by the Ottoman Turks because the turks used to worship the moon and star because they were former Shamminites(people who worship the stars and Sun and Moon), thats how it got started. The turks also used to name their children after the moon and sun etc. Also this was already discussed, and the cresent and star is not a Muslim or an Islamic Symbol and it shouldnt be used to represent Islam.

Zafran

Muslim Brother
the cresent and star was never used by the Umayyad Era, I dont know where you heard that from. The first time it was used was by the Ottoman Turks because the turks used to worship the moon and star because they were former Shamminites(people who worship the stars and Sun and Moon), thats how it got started. The turks also used to name their children after the moon and sun etc. Also this was already discussed, and the cresent and star is not a Muslim or an Islamic Symbol and it shouldnt be used to represent Islam.

Salaam

I agree with salem about the crescent and the star not being part of Islam. Its a bidaa which was created under the Ottomans and should not be used as an Islamic symbol. My first post was about the crescent and moon, i'll try to find it and post here.

here we are

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30776

peace.

PSPdude

But I like it . Anyways we should have a symbol to represent islam , and i think the crescent moon and star is an ok symbol .

Salem9022

But I like it . Anyways we should have a symbol to represent islam , and i think the crescent moon and star is an ok symbol .

The Prophet Never used the cresent and star symbol nor did the companions and nor did the first Muslim Empire(Umayaad). So How can you love something which as noting to do with Islam or Muslims?

PSPdude

Well then lets make it something to do with islam . Its only a symbol . Every nation's flag symbolizes the country . Why cant we have THIS symbolize the nowadays islam ? We need something to symbolize . Mights why be this . :)

abuayesha

Well then lets make it something to do with islam . Its only a symbol . Every nation's flag symbolizes the country . Why cant we have THIS symbolize the nowadays islam ? We need something to symbolize . Mights why be this . :)

Dear Brother

Please be aware that no one can introduce any sign to symbolize ISLAM.
Islam does not stand on any symbol.

Even the Prophet Sallallaahu alaihi wasallam was not given that discretion.

It does not matter that we discuss things like this in order to get ourselves aware how and when these type of things came into being. But, we should not just say that OK we'll keep this to symbolize ISLAM.

This is how Bid'aa - innovations came into and Muslims were deviated from right path. Naoothu billaah- May Allaah protect all of us from evil.

Thank you