Staring

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
:salam2:

When I am out and about on campus and enjoying the beautiful campus, I find that Muslims tend to stare a lot. Is it because there is relief that there is another Muslim on campus..Sorry brothers but it is mostly the men that do it. I don't know I was just taught growing up never to stare at a person...What are your personal experiences/opinions with this if you do not live in a predominently Muslim area. When you see a Muslim do you stare in order to make a greeting or just thinking I wonder who that person is....Sorry for the silly question.

:wasalam:
Sarah

Mohammad87

Hey Sarah..Well I know whenever I see a muslim on Campus I get really happy...maybe it's because I go to a Catholic College..but it just makes me very happy seeing another muslim..however I never stare at them lol..I think staring for a long time is really rude and can make the other person feel uncomfortable...

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

Lol thank your for your reponse. Yay I get real uncomfortable about the long periods of staring. I will be staring at the sky or the tree and I look up and bam someone is staring. I appreciate the acknowledgement of the Muslim radar thing going on but I guess I will just make a face for the next time.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I hate people staring at me, so I stare at them back which usually sends them the other way :SMILY335: Seriously though, I know what you mean Sister, I see it happen a lot, especially with converts be it male or female. People just stare as if they're analysing some sort of cryptic code or something, which is VERY RUDE! When I'm out and about, I take care not to make more than a glance at people I don't know. That way, I can avoid complications.

wasalam

hijab_sister

ALLAH is in my heart

When I am out and about on campus and enjoying the beautiful campus, I find that Muslims tend to stare a lot. Is it because there is relief that there is another Muslim on campus..Sorry brothers but it is mostly the men that do it. I don't know I was just taught growing up never to stare at a person...What are your personal experiences/opinions with this if you do not live in a predominently Muslim area. When you see a Muslim do you stare in order to make a greeting or just thinking I wonder who that person is....Sorry for the silly question.

Sarah
salam bro
nice thread.v being girls n hijabi or niabi get siüffer from staring.which doesnt make us feel good or pleasent-
waslam

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Are you white by any chance, Sister Sarah? They might just be surprised to see a white girl in hijab. Which I assume you wear or how else would they know you're a Muslim?

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
I'm used to it, non-muslims and especially muslims...

I noticed 3 types of muslims: those when you pass by them, they just look down and don't give salaam and don't reply to it.
The other type, just stares at you, usually from a long distance...
and the third, smiles and gives salaam...

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

Are you white by any chance, Sister Sarah? They might just be surprised to see a white girl in hijab. Which I assume you wear or how else would they know you're a Muslim?

:salam2: Brother.

Indeed I am a white girl who wears hijab lol. Not that many on the campus and if they are some they do not wear hijab :/

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

I learned in primary school that it is not right to stare at others, as it is rude and not professional. Sister Libin, i probably fall in the first type, because i dont think brothers are supposed to initiate the Salam to Sisters, and if a Sister gives Salam, we should return it.

If someone could please correct me if im wrong.

Wasalam

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

Asalaamu'Alykum,

I learned in primary school that it is not right to stare at others, as it is rude and not professional. Sister Libin, i probably fall in the first type, because i dont think brothers are supposed to initiate the Salam to Sisters, and if a Sister gives Salam, we should return it.

If someone could please correct me if im wrong.

Wasalam

Good question. I am always curious who is suppose to initiate Salaam. I usually just say it to everyone.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
No, i meant like a sister just passes by me, looks down and doesnt reply...
I read somewhere that the youngest of the 2 should say salam first...

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
Staring is very rude, and people who stare at me,I stare at them back. Its so sad that muslims have to stare at you, what is up with that!! Some sisters stare at me, and dont give salaams, and are not covered properly or think that you are too "extreme". Ya Allah!! I dont give the salaams to brothers unless they give it to me first, have to lower the gaze and keep walking!!:hijabi:

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
Staring is very rude, and people who stare at me,I stare at them back. Its so sad that muslims have to stare at you, what is up with that!! Some sisters stare at me, and dont give salaams, and are not covered properly or think that you are too "extreme". Ya Allah!! I dont give the salaams to brothers unless they give it to me first, have to lower the gaze and keep walking!!:hijabi:

Lol!! Yay I hate the "extreme" remarks. Who knows maybe they are like wow high five to the sister handling this heat..lol...Imagine if I had the confidence to wear niqaab at my college. InshaAllah one day :)

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Yes its good topic
Why people just have to stare so obvious...
But with me it happens when I go to the Mosque.For some reason we have the same entrance for men and women
But When I'm just approaching the Mosque I see people steariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing and they are mostly brothers....and I really don't understand why they behave like that .Its so rude and unpolite,makes me feel really uncomfortable...

wasalam

OmarTheFrench

I'm too shy to say salaam to a sister:biggrin: , so I smile but if she says me salam I reply.

But its true when you are a convert, people stare you lot more...