Sudan demo over jailed UK teacher

muselman

:salam2:

Crowds of people have marched in Sudan's capital Khartoum to call for a tougher sentence for a British teacher imprisoned for insulting religion.
Gillian Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, was jailed for 15 days on Thursday after allowing children in her class to name a teddy bear Muhammad.

Some reports said protesters had called for her to be shot. Her lawyer said she was later moved for her own safety.

Muslim Labour peer Lord Ahmed is on his way to Sudan to push for her release.

Lord Ahmed, who is being accompanied by the Conservatives' Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, expects to meet President Omar al-Bashir and possibly the chief justice. He is travelling at the invitation of the Sudanese government.

'Kill her'

The Foreign Office said Mrs Gibbons had been visited again by consular staff on Friday and that she was "well", but it could not confirm where she was being held.

A spokeswoman said: "We are pursuing diplomatic contacts with the Sudanese government, we are continuing to do so and will throughout the weekend both in London and Khartoum.

"We are continuing to search for a swift resolution of this issue."

The Foreign Office said it had been in touch with Lord Ahmed about his trip to Sudan but added that it was a private visit.

The BBC's Adam Mynott in Khartoum said Mrs Gibbons was initially held in a women's prison, but was later moved to a secret location following the protests.

The marchers took to the streets after Friday prayers to denounce the sentence as too lenient.

The protesters gathered in Martyrs Square, outside the presidential palace in the capital, many of them carrying knives and sticks.

Some news agencies reported thousands of people took part in the protest, but a BBC reporter at the scene said up to a thousand marchers turned out.

According to some agencies, some of the protesters chanted: "Shame, shame on the UK", "No tolerance - execution" and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad".

One demonstrator told reporters that it was unacceptable to take a toy and call it Muhammad.

"We can't accept it from anybody. Even if they can do that in Europe, they cannot do it here in Sudan. We ask our rulers and judges to review what they have said. Fifteen days is not enough."

Hundreds of riot police were deployed but they did not break up the demonstration.

The Foreign Office said it was seeking more details about the protest.

'Strongest terms'

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been in touch with Mrs Gibbons' family for a second time, speaking to a close relative of the teacher.

Foreign Secretary David Miliband has expressed "in the strongest terms" the UK's concern at her detention.

He said there were no plans to issue advice to British nationals living and working in Sudan in the light of the trouble, but diplomatic staff were keeping "a close eye" on the situation.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, said he could not "see any justification" for the sentence, calling it an "absurdly disproportionate response" to a "minor cultural faux pas".

The Federation of Student Islamic Societies (Fosis), which represents more than 90,000 Muslim students in the UK and Ireland, said it was "deeply concerned" at what was a "gravely disproportionate" verdict.

The federation's president, Ali Alhadithi, said: "What we have here is a case of cultural misunderstandings, and the delicacies of the matter demonstrate that it was not the intention of Gillian Gibbons to imply any offence against Islam or Muslims.

"We hope that the Sudanese authorities will take immediate action to secure a safe release for Gillian Gibbons."

In September, Mrs Gibbons allowed her class of primary school pupils to name the teddy bear Muhammad as part of a study of animals and their habitats.

The court heard that she was arrested on Sunday after another member of staff at Unity High School complained to the Ministry of Education.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7121025.stm
:wasalam:

dianek

"According to some agencies, some of the protesters chanted: "Shame, shame on the UK", "No tolerance - execution" and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad".

It makes those people look like hate mongers.........lighten up, she made a mistake and didn't even know she did it..........what hateful people they are.

ShyHijabi

Oh puuulllleeezzzzz!!!! Why don't these people find more useful things to direct all their energy towards? The woman meant no ill and they are completely blowing this out of proportion. I mean look how many people were killed in Darfur and they get up in arms over this? Not thousands and thousands of people being murdered but over a teddy bear? Could they possibly make us look any dumber?

~Sarah

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
this is really none-news ... the whole thing is being whipped up in the media and in reality nothing much has happened.

regardless of how just the pubishment is, the UK does not have the moral authority to condemn the sentence. Perhaps if the Sudanese locked her up for 28 days without charge and then released her with an *apology* they would have been more civilised ??

aqsa

mistakes

Islam is a religion of peace, serenity, tranquility.
when the prophet s.a w himself had the chance to pray to allah,
to let the mountains fall unto his enemies who tortured him,
did he? no!!! but he prayed for their guidance and this clearly
says it.

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
Salam Alykom:

This issue shouldnt reach that far. No one knows her intention. Although she wrote a letter to the parents stating '' Teddy bear Mohammed will be visiting your house'' as seen on the news!. However, she could be totally innocent, since this is her first time in Sudan. Similarly, an arab female artist called her dog...''?'', :astag:, not sure whether this is a rumour, or fact since newspapers in many cases concentrate on rumours than the truth.

Anyway, Sudanese have so much anger, specially after the french aid (Christian missionery) tried to kidnap Sudanese children from their families, and they felt that justice will never take place on that issue or any other issues. I hope muslims hold on to justice in every aspect of our lives. Its a shame that those christian missioneries were freed after they tried to committ a crime. Sarkozy's wife visit to sudan almost solved everything, what about the people's rights?, I am sure if the similar issue occured in Europe they will ask for the maximum punishment for kidnapping children.. Thats why sudanese feel angry because they feel they have no rights in their own country!!

In the case of the British teacher, I hope they explain to her what is islam and then release her whether she is guilty or not.
Who knows she might become a muslim, similar to Yvonne Ridly... (inshallah).

Prophet (pbuh) is very merciful for all human kind, he wouldnt like her to be killed for her action since no one can know her intentions, but giving her dawa is far more appropriate..

Wassalamu Alykom...

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Hold On A Minute!!

ACtually, Sudanese and Muslims all over the world are the Kindest and most repsectful people you could ever meet !!!!

What has happened in Sudan is regretful. It is an over reaction, but people MUST realise that this all comes from somewhere.

I think that people have really been pushed to the limit by the violence and State terrorism comitted by various States around the world against Muslims.

This has created some anger and frustration with people. They are in definite need of Islamic education as well as patience. But, someone with a little bit of knowledge of current affairs and a heart, can see where this is coming from. They can also see how to resolve these issues.

Firstly, by educating people back to Islam properly. Quran and Sunnah with understanding of the Salaf (the early generation of Muslims). This is most important.

Secondly, by stopping and holding to account the Mass Murdering and greedy policies of the US, UK, Israel, Russia, India and many other states.

Remember that injustice causes resentment, hatred and fuels ignorance. It fuels ignorance because people are impatient and do not know of any other way to resolve their issues and find solution.

It is exactly the same thing that happened with the Danish Cartoon of the blessed Prophet :saw: . That too was an over reaction, but the underlying cause is the same as what is mentioned above.

For further information please see>

Why Angry Protests? Islam Does Not Condone Violence and Calls for Patience!

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Salam Alykom:

I hope if she is innocent she will be released, and if she is guilty muslims must explain islam to her. Who knows she might become a muslim, similar to Yvonne Ridly... (inshallah)

Wassalamu Alykom...

InshAllah bro . Make dua for her

Orchids

I feel sorry for Ms Gibbons, poor lady . This is a big stink about nothing ,this is an innocent mistake. It was the choice of the children.

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous

Hold On A Minute!!

ACtually, Sudanese and Muslims all over the world are the Kindest and most repsectful people you could ever meet !!!!

For further information please see>

Why Angry Protests? Islam Does Not Condone Violence and Calls for Patience!

you there is like a geneocide going in sudan.......no one seems to care about that but becuz some lady from U.K. mistakenly told her students to a bear Muhammad not PPROPHET Muhammad sallah allahu alahi wa salaam
the enitre world is piss off.

Please let us get our Priorities clear..............

ahed

asalamo alay kom,:bismillah1:
firstly i dont think its her fault because she asked the children what do you want to name the teddy ,they said we want to name the teddy MOHAMMED because it was there best names and sudan people thought shes meaning about the prophet pbuh

shes hadnt said anything wrong and people are taking big deal about it ........................:astag:

british people will soon strat to write in the newspapers my cats name is mohammed:astag:and make a thing about it
..................................................................................................:shymuslima1:

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i remember once reading a hadith that talked about a man that went into the masjid and began urinating in a corner. the companions RA were ready to jump the guy, but rasullah :saw: stopped them, and told them to let the man finish relieving himself. they then told the man about the sacredness of the masjid and how it wasn't a place for relieving oneself. they shared knowledge with the man and the man then understood the seriousness of his transgression and he was never hurt. that is what the angry people in Sudan should've done. they should've explained to the teacher that it's highly insulting to name dolls, statues, animals with the name of Muhammad:saw: or any other prophet. she would've then understood and not have made the mistake again.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Whats wrong with people .Whats wrong with Muslims:SMILY23:

Of course people will always call Islam violent ...

sajjuaiah

As-salaam Alaikum,

They are doing much wrong if they were taking knifes/sords and saying bad to other contries.

I think there is no wrong for doing peaceful demonstration.

She has commited mistake.

I think media did not show that, teacher send a official letter to the parents stating their son name has changed to teddy bear muhammad.

Also, many parents came forward to report about this teacher.
She was insulting islam many times in many ways.

Before we are very much concerned about her jail.

What about our beloved prophet S.A.W.??????:astag:

Allah know best.

May allah protect unite the muslim ummah.

Jazakmullah Hu-Khairan.

Ameera

Seeking allah
political trash

As-salaam Alaikum,

They are doing much wrong if they were taking knifes/sords and saying bad to other contries.

I think there is no wrong for doing peaceful demonstration.

She has commited mistake.

I think media did not show that, teacher send a official letter to the parents stating their son name has changed to teddy bear muhammad.

Also, many parents came forward to report about this teacher.
She was insulting islam many times in many ways.

Before we are very much concerned about her jail.

What about our beloved prophet S.A.W.??????:astag:

Allah know best.

May allah protect unite the muslim ummah.

Jazakmullah Hu-Khairan.

Salaam alikum

To imprison a person because of the naming of a toy is outrageous .... To insult her by saying she is insulting Islam is political garbage, how can a name given to a childs teddy bear be an insult to our beloved prophet ?????? pbuh
I am certain that we Muslims who are true to Islam would not find it in our hearts to wish harm to this teacher for such a stupid reason would make us no better than that of her accusers I apologise if I insult or harm anyone with my opinion but its common sense and human nature to protect all human life not to riddicule it with stupid stupid accusations .....

Ameera

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
I'm going to post again on this subject although I have decided before not to ...

1. the whole matter is pretty small .. even with the 15 days jail sentence it is not that big deal. In the UK, you can be jailed for 28 days WITHOUT charge, WITHOUT being told what you are being accused of/investigated for ... you can then be released even without an apology as all this is due process.

2. I have said before that on the same day this became news, the US bombed a tent in Afghanistan killing 12 road workers ... this is 12 widows and maybe 30-40 orphans who have suffered an IRREPAIRABLE loss. It never got mention in any news bulletin ... just a small link on a secondary BBC page. The NATO did not even apologise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7116385.stm

3. Given this & the like, of which there are many, there is no wonder muslims are paranoic ... really ... what do you expect ??

4. I'm not trying to justify any injustice done to this poor teacher, but then take her story into context ... it is not really that important.

Amir_of_spain

Bros and sistas, i think this issue is much more then meets the eye, i think the islamic government in sudan is trying to send out a message to europe, that if they dont listen to the pleas of muslims when it comes to religious-political matters like the danish cartoons then similar we wont be prepared to do the same when it comes to your citizens/requests ie this teddy bear issue. I think its been purposely blown out of proportion to send this underlying message.

Sophie

This is CRAZY

The toy's name is Mohammed which is a very common name. I don't see how this 'mistake' has anything to do with Islam. Real Islam. I think some of the "News" is being manipulated,faked even. I hope they allow her to either keep teaching or go home.The way this story is being spun,it's purpose is to make all Muslims look like crazy,angry people.Propaganda has been proven through out time to be a very useful TOOL. :SMILY26: