Sunnah prayers.

xAllahKnowsBestx

Assalamu 'alaykum.

I just wanted to know how many Sunnah rakahs there are before and after every obligatory prayer.

This is how I've been doing it:

Fajr: 2 sunnah, then 2 fardh.
Dhuhr: 2 sunnah, 4 fardh, 2 sunnah.
Asr: 4 fardh [only??]
Maghrib: 3 fardh, 2 sunnah.
Isha: 4 fardh, 2 sunnah.

Is that right?

islamtrureligion

asaalamu alykum wr wb

all your sunnah prayers add up to 10. inshallah pray 4 before Duhur and keep the rest as they are then inshallah u will have prayed your 12 rakat of sunnahs a day. which means inshallah ALLAH swt will build for u a house in paradise and try ur best to always pray them regulary inshallah.

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Is this Obligatory???? What if you dont pray ANY Sunnah prayers? Normally I only pray what is Fard with no Sunnah prayers! So all this time my prayers have not been accepted???? Now Im really scared!!!!!

az101

http://www.miraathpublications.net/
If you pray 12 extra other then the Fard you get a palace in Jannah.

Fajr = 2 fard
2 Sunnah before Fajr
Benefit of the 2 Sunnah before Fajir is that they are better- then the whole World (dunya) and whatever is in it.

Zuhar = 4 fard

4 Sunnah before Zhuhr and 2 after

Asr= 4 Fard

no Sunnah for Asr prayer BUT...

Extra Bonus : If before the ASR prayer you pray 4 rakat (AFTER the 6 of Zuhar)

Allahs Messenger made Dua that MAY ALLAH HAVE MERCY on HIM who prays these 4
Also in another narration May Allah Keep the Face of that personFresh !!

these are Authentic narrations.

Note : these are not called " Sunnah of Asr" as these are prayed before asr adthan but can be prayed after the adthan aswell

Magrib=3 Fard

2 sunnah after Magrib

Extra Bonus: the Sahabah used to Quickly sneek in 2 fast ones right after the magrib adthan before the magrib prayer started .

Isha=4 fard

2 Sunnah after

and witr 3 ( 2+1 witr) or you can even pray solo 1 rakat witr as well

az101

http://www.miraathpublications.net/
If you do not pray Sunnah prayer No problem man..and there is no sin if you leave them

But you will lose out on tooooo much reward .

Read this below

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Allah said, 'I will declare war against him who shows hostility to a pious worshipper of Mine.

And the most beloved things with which My slave comes nearer to Me, is what I have enjoined upon him; and My slave keeps on coming closer to Me through performing Nawafil (praying or doing extra deeds besides what is obligatory) till I love him, so I become his sense of hearing with which he hears, and his sense of sight with which he sees, and his hand with which he grips, and his leg with which he walks; and if he asks Me, I will give him, and if he asks My protection (Refuge), I will protect him; (i.e. give him My Refuge) and I do not hesitate to do anything as I hesitate to take the soul of the believer, for he hates death, and I hate to disappoint him."

Bukhari :: Book 8 :: Volume 76 :: Hadith 509

I ask ALLAH to give us All the tawfeeq to pray these Extra prayers.

and i ask allah to make us amongst those who he LOVES.

say Ameen !

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
As salamo alaikome

Is this Obligatory???? What if you dont pray ANY Sunnah prayers? Normally I only pray what is Fard with no Sunnah prayers! So all this time my prayers have not been accepted???? Now Im really scared!!!!!

:wasalam:

Not praying the Sunnah, doesn't affect your Fardh (obligatory) Salah. However, the Sunnah Muakkadah prayers are highly recommended and shouldn't be left out as they have high reward for who ever performs it regularly.

Umm Habibah (May Allah be pleased with her) the Mother of the Believers reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "A house will be built in Jannah for every Muslim who offers twelve Rak`ah of optional Salat other than the obligatory Salat in a day and a night (to seek the Pleasure of Allah).''[Muslim].

The number of rakat to be offered in prayer has been explained by the mother of believers, Aisha RadiAllahu Anha.

`Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: Whenever the Prophet (PBUH) stayed in my house, he would perform four Rak`ah (supererogatory prayer) before Zuhr prayer. Then he would go out and lead Salat. He (PBUH) would then come back and perform two Rak`ah (supererogatory prayer). He would lead the Maghrib prayer and come back and perform two Rak`ah (supererogatory prayer). When he (PBUH) had led the `Isha' prayer, he would enter the house and perform two Rak`ah (supererogatory prayer).
[Muslim]

Another good reason for performing these supererogatory prayers is that it covers for the shortcomings in fardh prayer. Our obligatory prayers have shortcomings in the sense that at times we are thinking about worldly matters or distracted, performing in haste etc. Performing Sunnah prayers would InshaAllah cover those shortcomings. This has been mentioned by the scholars. Also, for some people it would cover for the shortcoming in number of obligatory prayers performed (missed out due to negligence).

So it would be a good idea to slowly start making a habit to pray these Sunnah Muakkadah prayers and reap the rewards InshaAllah.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

PS : It is better to perform the 4 rakah Muakkadah prayers before Zohr, 2 rakah followed by another 2 rakah.

Kakorot

Assalamu 'alaykum.

I just wanted to know how many Sunnah rakahs there are before and after every obligatory prayer.

Is that right?

:wasalam: wr wb,

It's:

Fajr: 2 sunnah, 2 fardh.
Dhuhr: 4 sunnah, 4 fardh & 2 sunnah.
'Asr: 4 fardh.
'Isha: 4 sunnah, 4 fardh & 2 sunnah.

BegumRehana

It's:

'Isha: 4 sunnah, 4 fardh & 2 sunnah.[/QUOTE

:salam2:..Yes InshaAllah this one is the one, the more sunnah the more better..but for Asr i do 4 sunnah before the fardh. Channa has given the correct sunnah for all of them InshaAllah :) Try your best to read the sunnah, it will build more love for our prophet Muhammad pbuh as you will be foloowing what he has done and will give you more rewards..

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Assalamu 'alaykum.

Is that right?

Salam my sister!

Masha'Allah!!!

You're beginning to even do sunnah at your age, I'm so happy for youuuuuuuuu. !

Great, heres a chart to show you a whole variety of prayer:

Fajr
2 Sunnah
2 Fardh

Zuhr
4 Sunnah
4 Fardh
2 Sunnah
2 Nafl

Asr
4 Sunnah
4 Fardh

Maghrib
3 Fardh
2 Sunnah
2 Nafl

Ishaa
4 Sunnah
4 Fardh
2 Sunnah
2 Nafl
3 Witr (wajib)
2 Nafl

Hope this helped insha'Allah! The list goes down in order so that's the exact order you do it in going downwards

Walaikum salam

Kakorot

There's no two nafl after witr. You don't pray anything after witr prayer. That's why when ppl do tahajjud, they leave the witr till after they've prayed it.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Oh wow so basically Im really hurting myself only praying Fardh prayers and no Sunnah!

I have to be honest though and I am so embarrassed to say this but it has been very difficult for me to just get through the Fardh prayers!!!! It has alot to do with my health lately because I have a really serious lung infection so just to bow and prostrate and touch my head to the floor takes alot out of me physically!!! My husband keeps telling me to sit and pray and I know that is acceptable but for some reason it just doesnt feel right to me! I dont feel the same as when I do the prayer correctly!

xAllahKnowsBestx

Jazakallahu khair Az101, BrotherInIslam7, Channa, IslamTrueReligion, and sis SalamToYou. :D

May Allah reward you all. :hijabi:

Oh wow so basically Im really hurting myself only praying Fardh prayers and no Sunnah!

I have to be honest though and I am so embarrassed to say this but it has been very difficult for me to just get through the Fardh prayers!!!! It has alot to do with my health lately because I have a really serious lung infection so just to bow and prostrate and touch my head to the floor takes alot out of me physically!!! My husband keeps telling me to sit and pray and I know that is acceptable but for some reason it just doesnt feel right to me! I dont feel the same as when I do the prayer correctly!

Awwh, sis it's okay if you don't do Sunnah prayers anyway, considering your health condition.
May Allah ease your pain.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi..

May Allah azz zawajal grant you complete shifaa and leave no disease or ailment in your body. Ameen

I have had problems bowing down as well temporarily when I had a medical condition so I can understand how difficult it can be.

Therefore it would be wise to take the relaxation offered from shariah of Islam with regards to praying in sitting position & bowing and prostrating in such a way that you can perform the prayers without harming yourself.

It becomes even worse when you continue trying to pray the normal way and it causes you a lot of pain, which leads you to dread performing prayers (as it reminds you the amount of pain). Therefore, tell your condition to a reliable shaykh/imam and try to find a way by which it causes you minimum discomfort.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

It's:

'Isha: 4 sunnah, 4 fardh & 2 sunnah.

The 4 sunnah before the Fard for `Ishaa is new to me. Could you kindly direct me to something where I can read about this?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Oh, and one quick question: The 4 rakahs before Dhuhr, are they two sets of two rakahs, or just 4 rakahs?

It is better to perform it 2 rakah by 2 rakah. This is what the scholars have mentioned.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for him to pray them with one tashahhud or two [i.e., he may pray them all together or two by two], but it is preferable to say the salaam twice [to pray them two by two].

From Fataawa al-Imaam al-Nawawi, p. 51.

Link http://islamqa.com/en/ref/4057/

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
for asr, i always pray 4 rakaat sunnah and then the 4 fard.

sunnah prayer of douhr are 4, 6 or 8 in total. who ever prayes 4 before and after douhr, allah will forbid your flesh to enter the hell fire.

sunnah protects the fard. if you slack in the sunnah you will slack in your fard and vice versa. but when you continue your sunnah prayer it becomes hard to miss your fard.

Salah is the first act that the person will be held accountable for on the day of judgement. If it is good, then the rest of his acts will be good.

my teacher in shariah course, told us that we can pray the sunnah prayer even if the adhan has not started or finished yet.
but my husband told me:

After the adhan, one should make individual supplications, as that is the time when they will most likely be accepted. Anas reported that the Prophet, upon whom be peace, said, "A supplication made between the adhan and the iqamah is not rejected." (Abu Dawud, an-Nasa'i, at-Tirmidhi)

so can we pray sunnah as soon as the athan starts, i would feel uncomfortable to pray before the athan, so can i start while the athan is reciting?

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Its been 2 weeks since I posted here at TTI because in the village where I live there is no internet connection so I have to wait until I visit my husbands family which we come here every other weekend. Anyway I just wanted to post an update that since I was here last time I have begun to pray the Sunnah prayers along with the Fard for every prayer and actually I have felt a sort of quiet satisfaction that even though I have been very sick I am still able to worship Allah the way I am supposed to!

I just wanted to say Jazakallah khairan to all who responded to my original post with the good information you gave me and also you were very encouraging so thank you very much! I will keep you in my dua and may Allah reward you for your knowledge and kindness! Ameen!

Wa salam