Sunni marrying Shia (mature responses only, plz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gupta

Asalam alaykom. My male cousin is pursuing marriage with a girl who is Shia. she seems to be a modest hijabi girl who prays and has done hajj before. Is it permissible for him to marry her?

please don't allow yourself to post anything hateful. Keep this thread sophisticated and mature. Thank you.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Ruling on a Muslim woman marrying a Shi'i

Praise be to Allaah.

The Standing Committee was asked the following question:

We come from a tribe that lives on the northern borders [of Saudi Arabia], and we mix with tribes from Iraq who are idolatrous Shi’ah; they worship domes and call them al-Hasan and al-Husayn and ‘Ali. When one of them stands up he says. “O ‘Ali, O Husayn.” Some people from our tribe have intermarried with them and mix with them in all circumstances. We have tried to teach them but they do not listen. I do not have enough knowledge to teach them but I hate what they do, and I do not mix with them. I have heard that we cannot eat meat slaughtered by them, but these people eat their meat and do not care. We are asking you what are our obligations in this case?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah and blessings and peace be upon His Messenger and his family and companions.

If the situation is as you describe – that they call upon ‘Ali, al-Hasan and al-Husayn, and so on – then they are mushrikeen who are guilty of major shirk, which puts them beyond the pale of Islam. It is not permissible for Muslim women to marry them, and it is not permissible for us to marry their women, or to eat meat slaughtered by them.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not marry Al-Mushrikaat (idolatresses) till they believe (worship Allaah Alone). And indeed a slave woman who believes is better than a (free) Mushrikah (idolatress), even though she pleases you. And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allaah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikoon) invite you to the Fire, but Allaah invites (you) to Paradise and forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember”

[al-Baqarah 2:221]

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 2/264

You have to advise your uncle and cousin, and tell them about the fatwas of the scholars concerning this issue. If your uncle insists on marrying his daughter to a Shi’i, then refer the matter to the sharee’ah court to prevent this evil action.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam QA

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum wa rahmatuAllahi wa barakatuhu,

Im quoting another student of knowledge, hopefully its short and simple

" No marriage with a Shia is not valid every madhab agrees to this and they aren't Ahle Kitab"

Ahsen

Walekumassalam,
Hijab and hajj doesn't makes one a muslim if his/her beliefs are not according to Islam. The post by sister Shahnazz says it all.

And basically it's not about sunni or shia. It's about beliefs,aqeedah. They believe in something else other than the true Islam.

Umm Abdullah

How can your cousin marry someone who has a different aqiidah and manhaj? The first thing we should look for in a man/woman is Deen.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum,I'm not aknowledged enough,but I hope to contribute to help.Shi'a and Sunnit are 2 branches of the same religion:Islam.they both pray 5 times a day,they perform everything concerns islamic religion.they are not different in anything,except for the "sect"they belong.I've watched a video here on tti and I've understood that it shouldn't exist Shi'a,Sunni,sufis,Hanafits,Malikites,Hanbalites and so on:they are all part of the same religion:Islam.by consequence these 2 people who want to marry,should leave their "sect" and say that they are Muslims.I think that politic influence contributed to separate the fellows of the same belief,to create hateness,sense of superiority toward another branch,but in the end it's all the same belief:Islam.
before knowing this,I used to say that I was Sunni muslimah.I foolow the Sunna,but I'm first of all Muslaimah without any other association

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

As we are the followers of the Quran and Sunnah..where does it say that in either?

Besides a man can marry a Jew, a Christian, and any non-believer as along as she converts. How do we know that a Jewish woman will raise Muslim children? Muslim men marry Hindus?

Please give me evidence from both hadith an ayat from the Quran that specifically states a Sunni can not marry a Shia?

How can a Muslim man marry a Christian woman? She still believes in a god that took human form?

tic_tac_toe

:salam2:

We need to analyze and dissect two issues here. Firstly the purpose of marriage which is to have to children and to give them a right and appropriate upbringing upon the Sunnah and for this purpose since most women in the west (today) aren't true Ahlul-Kitaab (people of the book) but merely Christian by name such marriage is highly discouraged even if you are to find a truly practicing Christian woman because the society around us won't encourage bringing the children according to Islam.

Secondly, Shias don't fall into Ahlul-Kitaab (people of the book) because with a Christian or a Jew you know what you will get on face value while Shias have a sect submerged in secrecy and lies and divergent from Ahlus-Sunnah so its deviancy marches on a path separate from Sunnah.

Marriage with a Shia is not acceptable according to most Scholars in Islam and this doesn't imply that all Scholars believe that Shias are outside the fold of Islam or that Shias are worst then Jews & Christian. Nay! this is about bringing up children and anyone who loves Sunnah and wants their children to be brought upon the Sunnah won't take his chances with a Shia woman.

Theoretically these are two separate categories i.e. Shias and Ahlul-Kitaab (people of the book) and the proof of not opting to marry a Shia woman is in the Authentic Hadeeth about marrying a woman for her religion.

There are many examples of brothers marrying Ahlul-Kitaab (people of the book) & Shias and their children ending up in a disaster and again this doesn't mean that every Sunni Sister will give children Angelic Islamic upbringing (far from it) but when marrying a person needs to think hard about the future.

:wasalam:

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
the reason why the Quran was sent to the people within about 20 years,is that the mentality of population needed a slow changement to accept each rule of that Book(example the wine:there are 4 phasis of this matter,until it becomes haram).
Now I think that the majority of the global population knows Who Allah is and the untruth of the cross and christian symbols.many people little by little are coming to the conclusion that there is only one God.the christians too will arrive one day to admit that Allah is the only One.if a muslim decides to marry a non-muslim woman,there would be Allah's decree upon that woman,a test to verify if the people are ready to accept only one God.in fact it's easier to marry a woman wishig her to become muslimah,than the contrary.But times are changing and we hope in sh Allah that there will be really an only one Ummah.

tic_tac_toe

the reason why the Quran was sent to the people within about 20 years,is that the mentality of population needed a slow changement to accept each rule of that Book(example the wine:there are 4 phasis of this matter,until it becomes haram).
Now I think that the majority of the global population knows Who Allah is and the untruth of the cross and christian symbols.many people little by little are coming to the conclusion that there is only one God.the christians too will arrive one day to admit that Allah is the only One.if a muslim decides to marry a non-muslim woman,there would be Allah's decree upon that woman,a test to verify if the people are ready to accept only one God.in fact it's easier to marry a woman wishig her to become muslimah,than the contrary.But times are changing and we hope in sh Allah that there will be really an only one Ummah.

Sister,

Marriage in Islam has certain preconditions and if a Muslim man decides to get married to a Non-Muslim woman (who isn't a Christian or Jew) then the marriage is invalid to begin with no matter what their intentions are so this will be legally void.

A court marriage with a Shia within many courts (e.g. Pakistan, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain etc) will be valid.

unbreak

Marry someone who believe in this kalima La-ilaha-iLLaLLah- Muhammadur-Rasulullah - لا اله الا الله محمد رسول and act up on the religion and holy quran, follow sunna the of prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam)

LIFE WILL HAVE LESS STRESS. Don't Make life Complicated, because when live together only you know better about each other. because when get baby, thing could get complicated. how you going to raise him, with shia lifestyle and sunni life style. (so marrying a believer, who believes in the kalima La-ilaha-iLLaLLah- Muhammadur-Rasulullah - لا اله الا الله محمد رسول)

(THIS IS JUST MY OPINION) THOSE WHO LIVE with in family and culture involved, Better to marry someone from their own country, they will understand each other better (for example: food, speaking the same language, helping your community and more). but remember FIRST concern should be to marry someone who believe in kalima La-ilaha-iLLaLLah- Muhammadur-Rasulullah - لا اله الا الله محمد رسول and act up on the religion and holy quran, follow sunna the of prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam)

FIRST i would suggest BOTH OF YOU to STUDY your scripture THE HOLY QURAN and meaning (quranexplorer.com) and authentic hadith of prophet prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam)
then decide.

1. look at if he or she is religious, 2. look if both attractive to each other 3. look at the family, if they are good specially from both spouse parents 4. wealth should last thing you should for look from both side. (man should have a work to support his family)(just don't get confused over my answer, always ask 3 to 5 people for better opinion) take a wise decision if still can not take decission, ask ALLAH pray 2 rakat prayer and ask dua

IF THERE IS ANY GRAMMER or spelling mistake soryy.

but

if you don't understand what i have written down write me again with quote and which line.

IN YON

Asalam alaykom. My male cousin is pursuing marriage with a girl who is Shia. she seems to be a modest hijabi girl who prays and has done hajj before. Is it permissible for him to marry her?

please don't allow yourself to post anything hateful. Keep this thread sophisticated and mature. Thank you.

tic_tac_toe

Marry someone who believe in this kalima La-ilaha-iLLaLLah- Muhammadur-Rasulullah - لا اله الا الله محمد رسول and act up on the religion and holy quran, follow sunna of prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam)

LIFE WILL HAVE LESS STRESS. Don't Make life Complicated, because when live together only you know better about each other. (so marrying a believer, who believes in the kalima La-ilaha-iLLaLLah- Muhammadur-Rasulullah - لا اله الا الله محمد رسول) because when get baby, thing could get complicated. how you going to raise him, with shia lifestyle and sunni life style.

THOSE WHO LIVE with in family and culture involved, Better to marry someone from their own country, they will understand each other better (for example: food, speaking the same language, helping your community and more). but remember to marry someone who believe in kalima La-ilaha-iLLaLLah- Muhammadur-Rasulullah - لا اله الا الله محمد رسول

FIRST i would suggest BOTH OF YOU to STUDY your scripture THE HOLY QURAN and meaning (quranexplorer.com) and authentic hadith of prophet prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam)
then decide.

IN YON

Marrying a Muslim woman upon the Sunnah is what is proposed in Islam, her color, culture, ethnicity, country is largely up to personal choice and preference and secondary in consideration.

Primary concern is practice of her Deen and not just the Kalima so Christian, Jew or Shia woman all should be avoided.

abjad

AlHamd Li'Laah
Sunni marrying Shia

asalaam aleykum,
i have never heard as such but i beleive a beleiveng man marries a beleiveing woman verse verse.

please don't allow yourself to post anything hateful.
thank you

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Brother Tic Tac Toe,

Thank you for making the issues clear.

If I am correct in understanding your response the scholars are not in agreement. Some say do not marry while others do not. The issue is an intellectual issue of interpretation. Am I correct?

tic_tac_toe

Assalaam alaikum,

Brother Tic Tac Toe,

Thank you for making the issues clear.

If I am correct in understanding your response the scholars are not in agreement. Some say do not marry while others do not. The issue is an intellectual issue of interpretation. Am I correct?

:salam2:

I apologize for confusing you.

In classical Islamic text there is pretty much unanimity of invalidity to very strong objection to Shia/Sunni marriage so no Authentic Scholar worth his salt will perform such a marriage. I was referring to court marriages which in many Muslim countries which will allow it and of course these laws are enacted and deliberated by politicians with scant attention and knowledge to Islam e.g. Interior Minister of Pakistan trying to recite Surah Al-Ikhlaas and these are the people who deliberate our laws!

[video=youtube;QotlYbLQeG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QotlYbLQeG4[/video]​

In US we live in secular lands and in strange times so our "Scholars" do what they want and I am sure many Islamic centers will perform a Shia/Sunni marriage without batting an eyelid.

The difference between Shia/Sunni are based on sound Aqeedah (creedal issues) and simply cannot be dismissed and put aside.

Shias should be given Dawah and invited to the Aqeedah (creed) of Ahlus-Sunnah and explained the issues of differences etc.

:wasalam:

Gupta

Assalaam alaikum,

As we are the followers of the Quran and Sunnah..where does it say that in either?

Besides a man can marry a Jew, a Christian, and any non-believer as along as she converts. How do we know that a Jewish woman will raise Muslim children? Muslim men marry Hindus?

Please give me evidence from both hadith an ayat from the Quran that specifically states a Sunni can not marry a Shia?

How can a Muslim man marry a Christian woman? She still believes in a god that took human form?

Very good and thoughtful response, sister. I too asked this question. I have never known that Sunnis, Shia, Sufi, etc existed. I've always known us to be plain Muslim. I thought a Muslim is someone who takes shahada and follows the five pillars of Islam. Why should I further add to this segregation by discouraging my cousin from marrying this girl? Not all Shia cut them selves and yell out "Hassan Husain" just like not all Sunnis bomb mosques and churches. extremism is the only unislamic sect that ought to be denounced.

tic_tac_toe

Very good and thoughtful response, sister. I too asked this question. I have never known that Sunnis, Shia, Sufi, etc existed. I've always known us to be plain Muslim. I thought a Muslim is someone who takes shahada and follows the five pillars of Islam. Why should I further add to this segregation by discouraging my cousin from marrying this girl? Not all Shia cut them selves and yell out "Hassan Husain" just like not all Sunnis bomb mosques and churches. extremism is the only unislamic sect that ought to be denounced.

You are being deliberately obtuse as I have pointed out that the issue is of Aqeedah (creed) and not necessarily actions and also clearly said that this is neither meant to invite Takfeer nor violence.

And if there is a Shia out there who claims to have no differences then adopt the Aqeedah (creed) of Ahlus-Sunnah and that would be the end of it.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Brother,

For the sake of knowledge pin point for us without knowledge the exact differences in creed. I understand the historical issues. I understand the fabrication of some of the hadiths. I realize there is some confusion regarding the 12 imams. Where did it all go wrong?

Ali is the Companion of the Prophet, The cousin of the Prophet, the son in law of the Prophet, and one of the Four Defenders of the Faith. Yet, I see that Sunni Muslims neglect his worth. I wonder why?

Forgive me if this should be the subject of another thread.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Waalaykumsalam,

Among the creed of shia
1) To believe in the 12 imam and claiming that they are inffallible.
2) Making Taqiyyah as part of their religion
3) Belief that most except a few of the Companions of the Prophet left the fold of islam
4) The quran that we have now is incomplete
5) Aisha ( Ummul Mukminin ) is a woman of zina ( Nauzubillah)

Please read up books and listen to youtube lectures by Shaykh Uthman AL-khamees to know more about shia.

Assalaam alaikum,

Brother,

For the sake of knowledge pin point for us without knowledge the exact differences in creed. I understand the historical issues. I understand the fabrication of some of the hadiths. I realize there is some confusion regarding the 12 imams. Where did it all go wrong?

Ali is the Companion of the Prophet, The cousin of the Prophet, the son in law of the Prophet, and one of the Four Defenders of the Faith. Yet, I see that Sunni Muslims neglect his worth. I wonder why?

Forgive me if this should be the subject of another thread.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Brother,

It is good, and I mean good, to see you posting again.

If you could be so kind as to suggest books it would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.