televisions

maryam12

:salam2:
well,my dear brothers n sisters,do u think that a tv is important in a muslim house? as u all know watching tv is haraam..:astag: :wasalam:

MohamedUK

TV

Watching TV isn't haram...what makes it haram is the content of what you watch..i.e. watching a film which contain nudity etc is haram, watching BBC news is ok.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Haraam and Halal/okay tv

Yeah tv is important because you can watch the news on it. Some news's have trash like MSNBC, it tells a lot of good stuff in it, but during the last 10 minutes or so, they talk about trash like models and other retarted stuff. Some are anti-muslim like FoXNews that I've heard about, and so is Channel 4.
Sometimes tv isn't really bad, it depends on what you watch. You might want to watch Animal Planet or Nova, and sometimes they have cool stuff like This Old House lol I love that show since I was a kid (5yrs) :D and I've always loved it. But remember, NO CARTOONS should be watched unless you have a muslim tv program, or if you buy videos/DVDs that are Islam related. Stuff like Cartoon Network is funny and great, but it ALWAYS has to have something haram in the shows so avoid that. NICKALODEAN has shows about teenagers and stuff lke Zack and Codey, or Drake and Josh lol these shows got wierd names :D. And if it's ever a cartoon like Jimmy Nuetron or Timmy Turner or Rugrats, well; Jimmy Nuetron has some retarted stuff in it sometimes, and Timmy Turner should be rated between PG to PG13 because of what it shows. Rugrats isn't probably that bad, but remember that you can't have your kids or little relatives see Christmas because they say stuff about Maryam (A) and Hadrat Esa (A) and then your kids are gonna grow up singing those songs. Spongebob is DEFINATELY and out of question haraam. It's the fish on the street that's nasty, and Mr Crabs steals too much.
So you see sister? It's best with NO Nick or Cartoon Network, and oh yeah, Fox and alot of times KidsWB but other haraam cartoons are like Yu Gi Oh! and the Yu Gi Oh GX too. Pokemon not all the time, but some characters can dress and act mad wierd you know? Jackie Chan Adventures not that bad, just might be one show but it's not constant really.
But okay, my point is, NO cartoons; NO HBO; and NO MOVIES (cause it's almost always has something haraam or trashy)
You shouldn't watch lotteries cause they show gambling and haraam like wine, And even car shows are bad too.
It's funny how I know all this because I use to have cartoonnetwork and nick, and it ALWAYS shows a singer and it always did when I was a kid. It's showed trash like Aron Carter who's an attention seeker and heart throb. It was always bad for those but Mashallah, I don't have cablevision in my new house. :ma: and it's been so for 5 and a half yrs. Now I only have NJN but it's cool sometimes. Like a movie about Sala Uddin and King Richard of England, and it was called Holy Warroirs. Now I just watch BBC ever since the Iraq war happned, and for over 3-4 yrs, and I like it :) just isn't that interesting like Channel 7's ABC news. But Nova is great! And nature too is cool.

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

We have a TV. We have the state channel and one more, only. No cable, no satelite. We use it to see news, discussions, to know what is going on in our country, and other places. And occationally see a movie or something, since watching movies on the computer is not an option for us.

Its same as computer... If you say TV is haram, so computer must be haram too? No?

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Salaam aleikum

We have a TV. We have the state channel and one more, only. No cable, no satelite. We use it to see news, discussions, to know what is going on in our country, and other places. And occationally see a movie or something, since watching movies on the computer is not an option for us.

Its same as computer... If you say TV is haram, so computer must be haram too? No?
If we say computers are haraam, then we need to say Internet is haraam. You get what I'm trying to say sister? It all depends on how you use it. If you play a computer game like Vice City it's pure adultery and haraam.
But the internet is good or bad, anyway you use it and anyway you try to protect from haraam ads.
Download this server and extension if you want to block ads easily:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/

https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q=Adblock&type=E&app=firefox

For the extensions, I'd prefer Adblock Plus. :wink:

And nobody should use Myspace because gangs and scammers can find you on there so you'll never be protected.

apocalypse77

everything we do of course need to have a limit right?as long as its not smthing that will make us forget our prayers or if there some immoral material in tv then it shouldnt be a problem.

if tv is totally haram then isnt computer totally haram?

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Stuff like Cartoon Network is funny and great, but it ALWAYS has to have something haram in the shows so avoid that.

Cartoon Network does not become Halaal if 'you' like it.
You know when you will grow up then what will be the thing you will hate most? Yes, right you will at Cartoon Network to death. I bet (well , bet is also haraam).

The nature of cartoons which is shown in such programs, makes the minds of the children cartoonish also. They become jerky boys instead of becoming humble decent people ( like Br. Robin :) ). According to scholars, watching cartoons is not allowed. Well, Islamic cartoons are not jerky so they are ok to learn the lesson in it.

Wassalaam,
VE

KhalidalAsadullah

Al Mujahid

Cartoons are kind of a problem. We all know that drawing is haram. And we know that angels do not enter the houses where there is a drawing or a dog. Cartoons are the drawings.
I don't know where sister Maryam12 got her fatwa but many sheikhs I know dislike television alot (mostly because it is a waste of time). Fox news is the worst of the worst. I think Sky news is the same way in the U.K.? Both are owned by the jew loving Rupert Murdock. Alhamduilah though I live in the states and last night for some reason I started picking up Al Jazeera on my tv. Alhamduilah.

liaa

i understand that drawing people is haram , because it's like you are intenting to gice life to the creatures that you are painting, but what if someone want's to become a vestimentar designer , is this haram ? and that stuff about angels not entering houses were there are papers that contain people and where there are dogs?? what's wrong with dogs? and not having anythin that contains draws of ppl means not having a magazine in your house, a computer, a tv , not anything! :( and my problem is that i like drawing models , and i do it since i learned to draw my first picture made was with a women, and i want to become a vestimentar designer! but i don't know for sure i it's haram or not?

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
Oh sister Liaa,

there are many problems with dogs. They are haram animals. The "thing about an angel not entering the home where there is a dog " is (I believe) a hadith. Dogs are permitted to a Muslim/ah under certain situations that have been discussed alot on this site. You're probably getting the detailed hadith and fiqh of dogs from someone else as I type this. But yes, most tv should be avoided.

Wulf

I live in a Home where I am Muslim and my teenage Daughter is not. There is a television, Sterios and many other things that may be considered haram. She does not like cartoons anyway and I monitor what she watches, (when she is not at her Computer)

My point being is, I feel that I do not have the right to change her Lifestyle, just because I have changed my belief structure.

My first Wfe did this. She destroyed anything that did not conform to her set of religious beliefs, even the childrens toys. She punished them physicaly and humiliated them for not praying properly in church, not singing the Hymns, failing to read the Bible.
When the children got older, our eldest left home at 16, the second at 14, and the youngest at 13. She could stand the beatings no more.
They all hate the church, God, or anything to do with religion and are all on medication for Psychiatric disorders years later.

I have learned from this experience. For me to force my beliefs on my child is Anathaema to me.

If it is the Will of Allah (swt) that she eventualy see his face, know his love, then so be it. I will only show her by example and love.

:wasalam:

liaa

txh for tryin to make me understand .:shake::shake::shake:

But i still don't understand why is haram to paint some clothes on a women or any other paintings or draws if you don't intend to give life to those paintings , you paint them just because you paint them for fun ,or for money.
And if someone could explain me the problem about dogs? cause from my expierence dogs are very good animals, and they are the only animals wich would try to save your life if smth bad happens , and would defend you by bad ppl :(

liaa

I live in a Home where I am Muslim and my teenage Daughter is not. There is a television, Sterios and many other things that may be considered haram. She does not like cartoons anyway and I monitor what she watches, (when she is not at her Computer)

My point being is, I feel that I do not have the right to change her Lifestyle, just because I have changed my belief structure.

My first Wfe did this. She destroyed anything that did not conform to her set of religious beliefs, even the childrens toys. She punished them physicaly and humiliated them for not praying properly in church, not singing the Hymns, failing to read the Bible.
When the children got older, our eldest left home at 16, the second at 14, and the youngest at 13. She could stand the beatings no more.
They all hate the church, God, or anything to do with religion and are all on medication for Psychiatric disorders years later.

I have learned from this experience. For me to force my beliefs on my child is Anathaema to me.

If it is the Will of Allah (swt) that she eventualy see his face, know his love, then so be it. I will only show her by example and love.

:wasalam:
poor kids, i' really sorry for them , cause my age is not biiger then thems, i think i can understand thm , i would not support somene trying to make my life exactly as he wants , and humiliate me just for not singin a stupid hymn , but i fell very sorry for you, being a muslims and your daughter not . :( i know a family with this problem , but they all live in peace and religion was never smth that would make them fight with eachother.

KhalidalAsadullah

Al Mujahid

Liaa I know for sure it is ok to keep dogs for hunting and maybe some other things. But yes, what I said earlier is a very well known hadith. I'm not sure about your situation regarding drawing. Ask your iman.

apocalypse77

i understand that drawing people is haram , because it's like you are intenting to gice life to the creatures that you are painting, but what if someone want's to become a vestimentar designer , is this haram ? and that stuff about angels not entering houses were there are papers that contain people and where there are dogs?? what's wrong with dogs? and not having anythin that contains draws of ppl means not having a magazine in your house, a computer, a tv , not anything! :( and my problem is that i like drawing models , and i do it since i learned to draw my first picture made was with a women, and i want to become a vestimentar designer! but i don't know for sure i it's haram or not?

this is wat ive been trying to ask too..does that mean photographs,cameras,magazines and anything that contains pictures of "living things" in my house is forbidden?

and im kinda worried cos im learnign 3d animation in school :(

Television is not haram like many have said, it depends on the contents of what you are watching. I usually watch the Discovery Channel, History Channel, The Learning Channel, Animal Planet. It provides great information, just like the internet, TTI, books, etc. It's a personal choice, if you don't like it or can't afford it then don't watch or buy it. I think it's a relative issue and differs amongst people.

And Allah Knows Best

walaakum salaam