The headaches of being a matchmaker

elqouds2020

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
يوجد من يشجع على المشروع وفيه من لا يشجعوك على الخير ....Peace, mercy and blessings of Allah
There are encouraging of the project and its not a good Ichdjaok

Ash76

I do agree to some extent that culture can sometimes be a barrier to the fruition of marriage, the important issue one must not lose sight of is that of COMPATIBILITY between individuals, which on ocassions can be influenced by one's culture. Sometimes people are so blinded by love, they think love alone will make their marriages a success but are not willing to COMPROMISE on their differences/ expectations (which can be cultural) . I have witness the disasterous consequences of this with many people I know in the community I live in. The key to a successful marriage, is as our Deen teaches us, and that one looks for GOOD CHARACTER in a person and not WEALTH, STATUS or BEAUTY, the latter three will all perish over time whereas the first will always remain. 2 people going into a marriage with the purest of intentions i.e. to complete one's Deen willl conquer and overcome all differences including that of culture

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am open to any ideas that you have to assist me. I want to thank everyone for reading this and I pray if nothing else this made someone smile a wee bit.

Now I am off for another mission impossible. Once I finish this little adventure I will InshaAllah, make you smile. Just keep me in your dua.

Ershad

Walaikkum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Some of my opinions. I might be wrong but this is how I see it, from my experiences or reading. There is nothing wrong in Islam by seeing family, culture, or beauty. It is correct that the criteria is piety. But, that is what is deciding criteria. For. e.g. you could have your requirement as same culture, language, beauty. When everything that I mentioned before is satisfied and then you check piety, if it is a pious woman or man, then go ahead, if not, look for someone else. That is how it is in Islam as I understand it i.e. they final deciding criteria is piety. So, there is nothing wrong in having conditions like wealth, family, culture or language.

And I do not know how online matchmaking or hired matchmaking works. In my knowledge of how it works in my family, we do not contact any professional match maker or anything. Because, it is all about trustworthiness and accountability. If the marriage ruins, then you cannot go and grab the collar of the matchmaker. In my family, usually it is based on trusted chains, for e.g. we need recommendations from family.. i.e. some one far related might know of a good, pious family with a man or woman who is looking for marriage. This is through spoken word. Sometimes, even recommendations from people in Masjid whom one is friends with. So, parents trust when it comes through people who they know and are in good terms for long time. And it is perfectly understandable. They do not do it because they are xenophobic or hate other cultures. It is basically fear of the unknown. How can they take your word for it? They want their children's marriage to be good and a success and they want them to lead a good life. They fear if they do something that they don't understand or have complete knowledge of, it might ruin the marriage. But, if they have the word or recommendation of someone from family that they trust, they can expect some kind of assistance in times of trouble. I, mean, in the subcontinent, kinship is something that everyone values and I know islam places much importance on preserving kinship. Also, marriage is more than just for two people involved. Firstly, it is for Allah. Then, parents either want to make stronger ties with their own near families or include a new family into their domain, thereby expanding it. So, that is why they go through trusted means so that the new family that comes in is pious and in good terms with rest of the family.

According to me, an online venture or hunt for spouse or hiring a matchmaker is not the usual medium. I am not saying it is not the good medium or way. But, we tend to stick with what is usual and working. So, in my opinion, if you have to be a successful and efficient matchmaker, it can be only in a domain or region of your influence. So, you should probably make good friends with other muslim mothers in your area and probably, after they are confident about you, they will ask you for someone for their daughter or boy. The problem is those who want to get married come to you directly and not through their parents. So, it is easy to convince people who want to get married through their parents than to convince parents through their children. Just my two cents. This might not be the case everywhere. Forgive me if I said anything wrong because of my immaturity and ignorance.

Ash76

:wasalam: Aapa. I can assure you this thread has made me more than smile. The thread has also highlighted the fact that people on here are very passionate about their viewpoints and have used logical reasoning to get their opinions across. If nothing else is achieved the reiteration on the unanimous standing amongst all of us regarding the importance of parents is sufficent for me, even if this might have deviated off topic. Some humble advice, should you choose to take it... Don't give up the role as matchmaker, trust me there is enough people out their who need to be 'hooked up' for marriage via a proper islamic route, especially those who don't have a good network of connections. I personally know a lot of very nice people who are looking for good proposals in the UK and are desperate to get married and finding a reputable matchmaker is very hard to come by. May Allah reward you for your efforts and guide you in the correct way.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamu'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

The problem arises when: the potential partner isn't someone from the same country/home, isn't someone of the same noble descendant/the same culture, isn't someone who has the same level of wealth, isn't someone who speaks the same language as the mother's tongue.

So when the potential partner is voiced out to the parents, they start to feel fear. And among the fears if the potential partner isn't someone from the same country is that their daughter/son won't be coming back home; to their country once when they're married.

The Y generation; who are the people who grow up in the 21st century tend to use the virtual world of the internet to look for every single thing ranging from looking for jobs, increasing knowledge of the deen even until. . meeting the potential lifetime partner! It is not the usual, normal way to look for potential partners, especially we do not know of the person in real, we do not know if that person is really who he/she represents him/herself to be, but we have one thing that we can be assure of. We put our faith and trust in Allaah. We make dua'a, we perform our Istikhaarah, asking Allaah The All-Knower to guide us if that person is the one we've been waiting for.

Yes, parents might want someone from the real world, someone that lives next door, but that very same person who lives next door and someone who your family knows might not be as good as that person whom you knew in the virtual world who has seek for your hand through a matchmaker. The vice-versa can happens too.

You found that person via the internet. You get to know each other with the presence of the matchmaker [the matchmaker goes through all the conversation they have]. Both of the couple are ready. The man meets up with the wali of the woman. The father investigates to get to know the man better. And finally the parents agree for the marriage.

It is can be that easy. But the truth is, it always isn't. Due to the need to break up the mindset of the parents that the person who isn't from the same country can be as good as the one from the same culture; or sometimes better. But of course, it isn't wrong at all to find someone from home; but if a good, pious man has come to seek for the hand of a woman through the correct, permissible methods, it isn't advisable to refuse as it will cause destruction.

I have come to understand that there are two vital matters that one needs to achieve/look for when the couple are not someone from the same place (it's actully the same for everyone who are getting married):

1. The piety/piousness of the man/woman. This we seek via the ta'aruf process, asking people who know that person [yes, even in the virtual world] and asking for Allaah's Guidance. That's the best means to know about your choice.

2. The blessings of the parents. And Allaah too, of course. That both parents are finally redhaa; accepting with their full hearts of the marriage.

Number two is usually the main barrier in such marriages. But if both matters have been achieved; and number 2 is actually the MOST important one, then inshaa Allaah, know that that marriage is the one that Allaah has written for the couples.

I'm not sure if I've lay out my main points, and it might not relate/of much help to the matchmaker, but was giving my overview/observations of marriages from different country/cultures.

Wa'alaykummusalaam wa rahmatullah.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I have learned there are many many obstacles. InshaAllah, I will be blessed by overcoming them with experience. I am not limiting my role to the internet. My experiences have been in living color. With real life people. I have turned blue from talking to sisters and they walk away once the ethnicity of the prospective is discussed. I roll my eyes, in response. I have even learned to say khalas and brush my hands in the air!!!

On the positive side everyone wishes me well.

I just want everyone to be happy and have more little Muslims running amok all over the world.

I will give an update as soon as I get two couples I am working on married.

Fear of the unknown...but that is the promise of tomorrow.

MuslimShadow

Walaikum assalam

Wherever you are living,(probably west),i'm sure there will be many people
from the subcontinent.

Try making a paakistaani marry an indian.If you can manage that then you will be the best matchmaker ever ...........;)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I did not know that I have Desi background until I came to TTI. I had no clue what a Desi was. Now, my sons keep asking me what the difference between an Indian and a Pakistani is. I have no clue. You eat the same food, you speak the same language and you bob your head the same way......

InshaAllah, we can make it happen.

strive-may-i

Assalaam walaikum,

I did not know that I have Desi background until I came to TTI. I had no clue what a Desi was. Now, my sons keep asking me what the difference between an Indian and a Pakistani is. I have no clue. You eat the same food, you speak the same language and you bob your head the same way......

InshaAllah, we can make it happen.
:wasalam:
Aapa there was a recent thread, just incase you have forgotten, which is unlikely!
Cross Cultural Marriage

And I stumbled on a post worth reading, if others have spare time - http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37879&postcount=35

MEMON

Assalam O Alaikum

I think sister MuslimShadow is also from the subcontinent. Anyways, sister has asked Appa for a challenging task and hopefully Appa will be able to accomplish it :).

best wishes and duas

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The only thing I can add about cross cultural marriages are the offspring...you have the best of both worlds. The children are very accepting of everyone and blend the cultures..you ought to see the meals I can make; fried green tomatoes with parathas!!!

And that was the precedent that the Prophet, swas, gave us. Allah subhana wa taala has given us variety and uniformity. That is a big wow in my book.

This project has me excited. And InshaAllah, once I get the first two down I am ready to rock and roll.

By the way I want to thank everyone for this thread. The politics just get me down.

helpinghumanity

That is not a big thing. There are so many Pakistani that are married to Indian sisters and vice versa (talking about my currently location i.e New York City). Some of my best friends are married to Indians.

Remember Religion is the binding factor.

Walaikum assalam

Wherever you are living,(probably west),i'm sure there will be many people
from the subcontinent.

Try making a paakistaani marry an indian.If you can manage that then you will be the best matchmaker ever ...........;)

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:

I think marriage is a blessing and those who are match makers are doing a blessed thing,may Allah reward you for your efforts,sister.Ameen

I would also like to say ,sadly,the institution of marriage is becoming shallow and extinct in the western society and societies where west has it's influence,hence leading to the breakdown of social fabric which consist of family.
The attack by the west,is on the heart of civilisation,"family".
We need more people like sister Aaapa.
BarakAllahu feeki.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

No brother, you do not need more people like me..what we need is more Believers to understand the need and role in Islam for marriage.

Unlike the romantic notion of knight in shinning armor carrying a woman of to ever ever happy happy land we need to refocus on why our Rabb has given us this blessing. To have protection in tests and trials of life as we strive to please Him. The bond of faith that helps us to persevere under all circumstances.

I think of Hajar. She asked her husband one question. Is this from Allah and she needed no more.

We need to be educated on practicing our faith.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Assalaam walaikum,

No brother, you do not need more people like me..what we need is more Believers to understand the need and role in Islam for marriage.

Unlike the romantic notion of knight in shinning armor carrying a woman of to ever ever happy happy land we need to refocus on why our Rabb has given us this blessing. To have protection in tests and trials of life as we strive to please Him. The bond of faith that helps us to persevere under all circumstances.

I think of Hajar. She asked her husband one question. Is this from Allah and she needed no more.

We need to be educated on practicing our faith.

:wasalam:

Sister,the west has subconcsiously affected all of us,even though we might practicing muslim.Some aspect of our life is not untouched by their iedologies,marriage and looking for spouse is big example of that.

Islam is not bounded to a few things but covers all the aspects of our life,family being a big part of it.That is why,I think there is a need for revival of family values among muslims,as it is a very important part of Islam and society.

As you said some people are waiting for knight in a shining armor,others waiting to complete their studies etc,the age of marriage passes and then the realisation hits them,with only a few choices left.

This is world,not everything can be according to our desires,but everything is as Allah wills it to be.
So if we find a suitable spouse then we should in sha' Allah perform istikhara and go for it,sometimes we have to compromise,for relationships are about compromising,forgiving each other and understanding,having patience,else we will keep living in la la land.

Forgive me if I don't make sense,sometimes I don't, heh.

MuslimShadow

That is not a big thing. There are so many Pakistani that are married to Indian sisters and vice versa (talking about my currently location i.e New York City). Some of my best friends are married to Indians.

Remember Religion is the binding factor.

Assalamu alaikum

Hmmm.......okay big brother.Well i wasn't challenging Aapa or anything.

Why focus on marriage so much,when we can die tomorrow.Live like a free bird....lol