U.S. Muslims worry about new federal rules

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
The FBI will have expanded powers to investigate suspected terrorists
DETROIT - Some Arab- and Muslim-Americans say new Justice Department guidelines that boost the FBI's power to investigate suspected terrorists could target innocent people.

The revised guidelines going into effect Monday will allow agents to use undercover sources to gather information, interview people without identifying themselves and spy on suspects without evidence of wrongdoing.

Critics say the rules will allow for abuses, including more racial and religious profiling.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

"That's an extraordinary power," said Mike German, a former FBI agent who now advises the American Civil Liberties Union.

"There is anxiety the Middle Eastern community will be targeted," said lawyer Nabih Ayad, who has defended a number of Arab Americans charged in national security cases. "There is always a danger in the implementation when you give such discretion in the hands of agents."

Current rules date to the 1970s
Federal officials say current rules came about in the 1970s and limit their ability to investigate people in national security cases.

FBI agents have met twice with community leaders to assure them they won't be targeted, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Andrew Arena, special agent in charge of the FBI in Detroit said there would be no profiling under the new regulations.

"Every agent in the FBI is going to be trained on these guidelines," he said. "The concern in the community is that there's going to be abuses, and it's going to open up the possibility of profiling. We're not going to allow that to happen."

Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said, "At the end of the day, the FBI is not going to open an investigation simply on the basis of race, ethnicity or religion."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27986133/

HA HA LOL LOL like yeah right!

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said, "At the end of the day, the FBI is not going to open an investigation simply on the basis of race, ethnicity or religion."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27986133/

HA HA LOL LOL like yeah right!

:salam2:
You are so right sister.
Once these powers are expanded they could be applied on any body.
So watch out people. And sing...

Uncle Sam is coming to town...
- or -
Uncle Sam is coming down the chimney tonight...

But instead of Ho Ho ho he will say: Hey Hey Hey ... You!
:wasalam:

Khalil2u

They Hate us

Asalaamu alaikum,

This is a joke. Sorry 2 say my phone was already tapped. The us gov has been spying on us already. The problem is that they got so much heat 4 violating the patriot act the first time. They had 2 pass a law to make it legal and now that time has come. We are under attack. I had my phone calls tapped for 6 months because of my name and i knew a Muslim in jail. That person called my home only 2 times for assistance. That was when he first arrived at jail. The first week. No assistance was provided. No money was sent no further calls made or accepted. yet my phone was tapped for 6 months. I felt very violated and I know they are still listening. I hear weird clicks on my calls. They know Islam is truth. They know if people really realize the beautiful truth of Islam the vatican will loose its power. The christian groups that hate Islam will go broke. The people who prop up this gov will be outed. They will fight the truth of Islam with everything they have. Profiling and harassment is nothing they are killing us then make it seem like we deserve it because we follow Islam and not them. I pray for the day when Islam takes over the whole world.Its hard to swallow that Islam is the truth because it shows them all the wrong that they do. How they live will send them strait to hell fire. They hate us they want to exterminate us. Just look at the election. The worst thing u can b in America is a Muslim. Just think about that the worst thing u can be in America is a Muslim. May Allah SWT show us mercy and protect us from the evils in this world.

MRasheed

This is not new. This is just the practical application of the role of the so-called Homeland Security Bush put into action after 9/11.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

when i really begin to analyze how my country ( america ) is set up, i really begin to see how it is pretty much set up in a way that makes life hard for muslims. don't get me wrong; there are freedoms here that i'm happy with, but so many other things that are common here go so much against islamic values. some people will say if you don't like it here then leave. but why should i? i was born here.

here are some examples from what i noticed:

1. the system here is set up that almost everyone has to deal in ribaa in order to get basic things. a house, a car, education, a loan. everyone here is told that they need to have at least one credit card.

2. almost every meat product contains pork in it. go to eat breakfast at any diner in the US and try to find beef or turkey sausages. impossible almost. even in foods traditionally made with beef or chicken have pork by products in them.

3. prayer in america is supposed to be private, for the church and the bedside. not in public like is done in our muslim lands. hence it is an attempt to make the muslim feel uncomfortable with praying in the mall, park or football match when the time comes.
4. in america a party cannot be good without alcohol and music. invite non-muslim coworkers to a party or an islamic wedding, i'm telling you they'll talk behind your back because there was no music or alcohol.

5. the modest dress of a muslim woman is frowned upon, but the near nakedness of the non muslim woman is the image of liberation.

6. corporate america frowns upon a non shaven man. he is called unprofessional looking and poorly groomed. hence muslim men for fear of not being employed or losing employment have shaved the beards that they held dear or were relegated to the least desirable or tough blue collar jobs.

there are probably much more that i didn't list. but i'm telling you that these things make me wonder.

AlQurtubi

Banned
brother nyer .. i agree with you.

Regarding this FBI rule, america is trying to kill himself with his own gun. They are doing strange things. I have never ever heared that america was like that untill neo-cons have started using it for their own purpose.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Asalaamu alaikum,

This is a joke. Sorry 2 say my phone was already tapped. The us gov has been spying on us already. The problem is that they got so much heat 4 violating the patriot act the first time. They had 2 pass a law to make it legal and now that time has come. We are under attack. I had my phone calls tapped for 6 months because of my name and i knew a Muslim in jail. That person called my home only 2 times for assistance. That was when he first arrived at jail. The first week. No assistance was provided. No money was sent no further calls made or accepted. yet my phone was tapped for 6 months. I felt very violated and I know they are still listening. I hear weird clicks on my calls. They know Islam is truth. They know if people really realize the beautiful truth of Islam the vatican will loose its power. The christian groups that hate Islam will go broke. The people who prop up this gov will be outed. They will fight the truth of Islam with everything they have. Profiling and harassment is nothing they are killing us then make it seem like we deserve it because we follow Islam and not them. I pray for the day when Islam takes over the whole world.Its hard to swallow that Islam is the truth because it shows them all the wrong that they do. How they live will send them strait to hell fire. They hate us they want to exterminate us. Just look at the election. The worst thing u can b in America is a Muslim. Just think about that the worst thing u can be in America is a Muslim. May Allah SWT show us mercy and protect us from the evils in this world.

Waalaykumsalam akhi,

Ameen.

I am sadden by what you are going through .I ask Allah to reward you immensely for what you are going through. I ask Allah to forgive me because because i was very much ignorant about this.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Asalaamu alaikum,

The worst thing u can b in America is a Muslim. Just think about that the worst thing u can be in America is a Muslim. May Allah SWT show us mercy and protect us from the evils in this world.

Asalamu Alaikome....

And yet Islam is the fastest growing religion in the United States. Go figure!!!

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: i think there are going to be pros and cons wherever you live :) i have the "usa experience as a muslim" and for the most part, in retrospect, it was not so bad!
now i have moved to france and in many ways, muslims, although they represent about 20% (and i believe more) of the population, they are definitely looked down upon! they may not be tapping phones, etc., but try getting a job wearing hijab... virtually impossible and sometimes the interview will not happen despite qualifications if the name is muslim or arabic sounding..... but these countries are good opportunities for dawa, can you imagine i had a pastor's wife asking me for a prayer booklet as she wanted to learn the islamic prayer.... don't be afraid to talk about your faith with others, you never know if you might make a positive difference :)