URGENT ACTION REQUIRED: Sign the Petition ASAP

lovefordeen

Allahu akbar

assalaamu alaikum wa rahmathulahi wa barakathuhu

alhamdulilah...Allahu akbar..now lets hope for justice insha'allah

jazakallah khairan

luluimaan

Lulu O' La Mer
This is ending today, and they got over 100,000 signatures on the website. Alhamdulillah! Insha'Allah it will all work out.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I was just sent an alert; the petitions will not be honored something about moving the motion to another location. There will be no debate.

sabina isa

:salam2:
What that exactly mean, dear Aapa? I don't quite understand it. I apologize if I sound odd. It doesn't sound good and right.

We salam

Assalaam walaikum,

I was just sent an alert; the petitions will not be honored something about moving the motion to another location. There will be no debate.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

This was sent to me:

The Islamic Human Rights Commission (IHRC) continues to extend its support to the Free Babar Ahmed campaign and its aims, and therefore expresses its disappointment and dismay at news of the parliament’s recent reaction to the campaign. It has become clear that, despite gathering well over 100,000 signatures in support of its petition, making it among the top three current petitions and boasting over ten times as much support as the next most popular recently closed petition, the issue will be denied a full debate in the Commons but rather be relegated to a second chamber discussion at Westminster Hall, where it will not undergo a vote.

IHRC chair Massoud Shadjareh has made a statement, saying:

“First of all, this has been an unprecedented successful campaign, in that it has been initiated by a Muslim organisation and joined by many others who joined the campaign for justice. This has represented a victory for mutual motivation and cooperation among Muslims and non-Muslims in addressing one of the most worthy causes, which has resulted in the petition becoming one of the top three currently under review.

“This mass mobilisation demonstrates that there is no question over the willingness, ability and commitment of Muslims to try and address issues through due process and democracy. On the contrary, this highlights the discriminatory practices of the authorities in their effective exclusion of the Muslim community and their out-of-hand dismissal of causes about which Muslims have demonstrated their passion and dedication.

“If any lesson can be learned from this, it is that the alienation of Muslims is tangible and not merely perceived, and that this alienation is not due to the behaviour of Muslims or their supposed unwillingness to ‘integrate’, but rather due to the unwillingness of the authorities to engage positively with Muslims as full citizens whose causes and concerns are deemed worthy of respect and taken seriously.

“The whole purpose of the government’s introduction of this procedure of petitions was to give the public tangible access to democracy and decision-making. The fact that parliament can then so easily brush the issue aside and deny over 140,000 signatories the right to have their cause debated and voted on makes a mockery of the whole process.”

( now I understand this gentleman is a Shia...so some hothead will post and remind me of this; I am looking at he bigger picture)

sabina isa

:salam2:

Jazak Allahu khair for the reply. You know what, it truly revealed what is the best way to talk ourselves and islamofobists. Had we not done our part, they would have used against his case, in justigying that his case truly is punishable. Now that we did our part, they have come uncovered, and record for all to see speaks against their so promoted "democracy". Is indeed eye opener for so many. I am happy we did our part, and believe it, I had a feeling that they will react this way. I see it every day. But the public at large needs proofs. Happy we gave them ONE! Allah is enough for us.... Allah Tawfeeq.

We salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Here is the latest:

1. Background

The e-petition to put Babar Ahmad on trial in the UK has now closed, having secured over 140,000 signatures, a phenomenal response in such a short space of time. The Free Babar Ahmad (FBA) Campaign commends supporters who have worked tirelessly over the last three months to raise awareness of Babar’s case, encouraging members of the public to sign the petition.

In spite of the enormous public support for the matter, the Parliamentary Backbench Business Committee has now refused to list this issue for a full debate in the main chamber of the House of Commons where it could be voted on by Members of Parliament; instead the motion has been relegated to form part of a pre-existing discussion on extradition, led by Dominic Raab MP, in Westminster Hall on 24th November 2011.

Discussions in Westminster Hall are not subjected to a vote and rarely have any practical effect. Other e-petitions which secured 100,000 signatures (including Hillsborough and the EU) have been subjected to a full debate in the House of Commons with a vote rather than being sidelined as a Westminster Hall discussion. It is therefore only fair that the petition to put Babar

Ahmad on trial in the UK, which over 140,000 people have signed, also be fully debated and voted on.

Listing Babar’s case for discussion in Westminster Hall is a convenient way for Parliament to wash their hands of the matter by not subjecting the issue for a vote. The two reasons that have been given for refusing to have Babar’s petition debated in the main Chamber is that it lacks public support and that there is not enough time left in this year’s calendar for such a debate.

Public Support

On 1 November 2011, Mr. Dominic Raab MP, requested a full Commons debate on extradition. His motion had cross-party support in addition to the backing of the respective chairs of the Joint Committee on Human Rights and the Home Affairs Select Committee. Mr. Raab referred to the fact that at that point, over 70,000 people had also signed the petition to put Babar Ahmad on trial in the UK. The Committee rejected Mr. Raab’s request in favour of a request for a debate on cheaper fuel on the basis that over 100,000 people had signed an e-petition calling for it.

The same night, Babar’s petition secured over 100,000 votes and has since risen to over 140,000. The petition for cheaper fuel by way of comparison currently stands at 110,000. Nevertheless, that petition will be debated in the main Chamber on 18 November.

Lack of Time

In response to an email from a constituent, Mr. John Hemming MP, a member of the Committee who made the decision, stated that he had asked for the petition to be “tagged onto the Westminster Hall debate” because there was “no chamber time available at the moment.”

The Westminster Hall debate was going ahead on the 24th with or without Babar’s petition and to simply tag it onto that discussion is an insult to the 140,000 plus people who signed this petition. On the same day that the Committee made this decision, it decided that an e- to reduce immigration which has secured 115,000 signatures (25,000 less than Babar’s petition) would be debated in the main Chamber in the New Year. If time is an issue, then surely the debate on Babar’s petition can also wait until the New Year.

2. Write to your MP

We are requesting all campaigners to write to their Member of Parliament as a matter of urgency to express their dissatisfaction that the e-petition will not be debated in the main Chamber of the House of Commons. Please ask your MP to do the following:

1. Attend the discussion in Westminster Hall on 24 November to make representations that the e-petition should be subjected to a full debate in the main Chamber of the House of Commons; and

2. Write to the Chair of the Backbench Business Committee, Ms Natascha Engel MP, requesting that the e-petition be subjected to a full debate in the main Chamber of the House of Commons.

Some or all of the following points should be made to support your argument:

• Babar Ahmad has been detained for over 7 years without trial and is the longest detained-without-trial British citizen in the modern history of the UK.

• Babar is held under the UK's controversial Extradition Act 2003 which allows British Citizens to be extradited to the U.S for alleged offences that took place in Britain. The CPS has repeatedly declared that there is 'insufficient evidence’ to charge Babar Ahmad with any criminal offence whatsoever.

• Over 140,000 people have signed an e-petition calling for Babar to be put on trial in the UK rather than extradited to the US. The issue is therefore of tremendous public importance which requires a full debate with a vote in the main Chamber of the House of Commons.
• In June 2011, the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Human Rights called for the UK’s extradition laws to be changed to prevent the extradition of Babar Ahmad and others in circumstances where the domestic authorities had decided not to prosecute them.

• In June 2011, the Recorder of Westminster, Judge Geoffrey Rivlin QC, said about Babar Ahmad's case, "I express the hope that the ordeal of a man in detention in this country for a number of years without trial is brought to an end as soon as possible...”.

• The petition to put Babar on trial in the UK has also been supported by a leading lawyers, academics and celebrities. Sir Geoffrey Bindman QC stated recently that it would be “monstrous and scandalous to extradite Babar Ahmad to the US”.

• There are a number of other British citizens facing extradition to the US under the same Treaty including Gary McKinnon, Christopher Tappin, Richard O’ Dwyer, and Talha Ahsan. The alleged criminal conduct in all these cases is said to have taken place in the UK, yet the domestic authorities have not prosecuted them.

We encourage supporters to prepare their own letters using the above points. A sample letter is below for your convenience but a personalised letter always carries more weight.

1. Visit http://www.writetothem.com

2. Enter your full UK postcode.

3. Select the hyperlink under “Your Member of Parliament”.

4. Enter your full name, address and email.

5. Copy and paste our template letter below. You can personalise your letter whilst keeping the main points.

6. Preview and send your message.

7. Ensure you check your email to confirm your message, or it will not be sent to your MP.

8. If you experience any technical difficulties whilst sending your message please visit www.theyworkforyou.com to obtain your MP’s contact details, by entering your postcode and following the link to their personal website.

9. To help us track which MPs have been contacted, kindly send a copy of your correspondence and any replies received to [email protected] .

SAMPLE LETTER

Dear [INSERT MP NAME]

I am writing to request you to support the call for a full debate in the House of Commons on the issue of our extradition laws, and in particular the case of Babar Ahmad. In recent weeks, over 140,000 people, including myself, have signed an official e-petition on the government website to put Babar Ahmad on trial in the UK rather than be extradited to the US. Babar Ahmad is in his eighth year in detention and is the longest detained-without-trial British citizen in the modern history of the UK.

Like other British citizens such as Gary McKinnon and Richard O’Dwyer, all the criminal conduct Mr. Ahmad is accused of committing is said to have taken place in the UK. If there is enough evidence to extradite him to the US, there should be enough evidence to prosecute him in the country in which he was born, lived, worked and remained when allegedly carrying out the conduct complained of in the US indictment against him.

Despite the enormous public support and cross-party backing for the e-petition, the Backbench Business Committee of the House of Commons recently refused to list the matter for a full debate with a vote in the Commons, relegating it to be tagged on to an pre-existing discussion on extradition, led by Dominic Raab MP, in Westminster Hall on 24 November.

I find this an insult to myself and the other 140,000 people who have signed this in light of the government’s pledge to properly debate matters of particular public concern. This e-petition is the 3rd largest e-petition on the government website and has secured more votes than other e-petitions which have been given a full debate. Why then should this issue which affects life and liberty and the sovereignty and integrity of our criminal justice system be sidelines in this way?

As a constituent of yours, I would like you to

(a) attend the discussion in Westminster Hall on 24 November and make representations for the matter to be subjected to a full debate in the main Chamber of the House of Commons with a vote; and

(b) write to the Chair of the Backbench Business Committee, Ms Natascha Engel MP, and request the same.

I request that you respond to me with a copy of any correspondence or representations that you make regarding this matter.

Yours sincerely,

[INSERT NAME]

3. Write to the Parliamentary Backbench Business Committee

Please also write to each member of the Parliamentary Backbench Committee who made the decision to allocate this debate to Westminster Hall. If you cannot write to all of them, please write to at least one.

You can also telephone them to express your concern. Remember to be polite but assertive. All contact details below.

Points to mention

• Over 140,000 people have signed an e-petition calling for Babar Ahmad to be put on trial in the UK rather than extradited to the US. The issue is therefore of tremendous public importance which requires a full debate with a vote in the main Chamber of the House of Commons.

• Babar Ahmad has been detained for over 7 years without trial and is the longest detained-without-trial British citizen in the modern history of the UK.

• The motion enjoys cross-party support in addition to backing from the Joint Committee on Human Rights and the Home Affairs Select Committee.

• Other e-petitions which have secured 100,000 signatures have been given a full Commons debate such as Hillsborough and the EU. The cheaper fuel e-petition obtained 30,000 less signatures than this petition and is being given a full Commons debate.

• If Chamber time is an issue, the debate can be scheduled for a date in the New Year as has been proposed for the ‘No to 70k’ immigration e-petition.

• This is an issue which affects the life and liberty of not just Babar Ahmad but all British citizens who may be arrested under the same legislation, including Gary McKinnon and Richard O’Dwyer.

TEMPLATE LETTER

Dear [INSERT MP NAME]

I have become aware that your response to the e-petition to put Babar Ahmad on trial in the UK, which secured over 140,000 signatures including my own, was to tag it along to a pre-existing discussion on extradition due to take place on 24 November in Westminster Hall.

I am outraged by your decision and see it as an insult to people like me who positively engaged with the parliamentary system based on an expectation that the voices of the British public would be listened to through the e-petition system. The discussion taking place in Westminster Hall would have taken place whether this petition existed or not. Therefore, your decision to tag the third largest e-petition to date alongside that discussion indicates the contempt with which you treat the opinions of the British public. Other e-petitions which have attracted far less signatures , such as the cheaper fuel e-petition, have been listed for a full debate in the main Chamber of the Commons.

Babar Ahmad is in his eight year of detention and is the longest detained-without-trial British citizen in the modern history of the UK. The petition not only has enormous support from the public and cross-party backing, but also has been supported by leading lawyers, academics and celebrities. All recognise that this is not just about Babar Ahmad but about any British citizen who could be similarly treated under a Treaty which allows our criminal justice system to be undermined in this manner.

I understand that there is limited time remaining in the parliamentary schedule this year. However, the matter is clearly of such public importance that it should be scheduled for a full debate in the main Chamber with a vote in the New Year, as has been proposed with the ‘No to 70k’ immigration e-petition which attracted 25,000 less signatures than Babar’s e-petition.

If it is truly the intention of this government and parliament to provide an easy way for the public to engage with politics in this country, it should listen to the public, who will not be hoodwinked into believing their concerns have been addressed through a brief discussion in Westminster Hall where few MPs attend and which has little practical effect in reality.

Yours sincerely,

[INSERT NAME]

Contact details for Backbench Business Committee

Natascha Engel – North East Derbyshire
[email protected] / [email protected]
Tel: 020 7219 4709/ 01246 439018
Fax: 020 7219 0206 / 01246 439024

Peter Bone – Wellingborough
[email protected]
Tel: 020 7219 8496 / 01933 279343
Fax: 020 7219 0301

Mr. Philip Davies – Shipley
Tel: 020 7219 8264 / 01274 592248
Fax: 020 7219 8389

Jane Ellison – Battersea
[email protected]
Tel. 020 7219 7010 / 020 8944 2065

John Hemming – Birmingham, Yardley
Tel: 020 7219 4345 / 0121-722 3417
Fax: 020 7219 0152 / 0121-722 3437

Mr. Phillip Hollobone – Kettering
[email protected]
Tel: 020 7219 8373
Fax: 020 7219 8802

Mr. Ian Mearns – Gateshead
Tel: 020 7219 7074 / 0191-477 0651
Fax: 0191-477 7383

Mr. George Mudie – Leeds East
Tel: 020 7219 5889 / 0113-232 3266
Fax: 0113-232 3853

For further information, please visit www.freebabarahmad.com or visit the official Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Babar-Ahmad/170108582117

Source: http://freebabarahmad.com

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I just received this:

30 November 2011

The Free Babar Ahmad campaign is encouraging supporters to contact their MPs to ensure they attend the full parliamentary debate on extradition that has been listed for Monday 5 December 2011 and vote to change the law.

1. Background

2. Write to your MP

3. Sample Letter

1. Background

Following tremendous pressure from members of the public, the Parliament’s Backbench Business Committee have now scheduled a full debate on extradition with a vote to take place in the main chamber of the House of Commons where all MPs can attend. The debate will take place on Monday 5 December 2011.

Although disappointingly the motion does not specifically mention Babar Ahmad’s case by name, it does present a unique opportunity for MPs to attend the debate and vote in favour of changing the law such that it will prevent the extradition of Babar and others facing extradition.

The Free Babar Ahmad (FBA) Campaign commends supporters who have worked tirelessly in recent months, not only in encouraging others to sign the petition but in also lobbying their MPs and the Backbench Business Committee to list the matter for a full debate. Had it not been for your action, this may all have ended last Thursday 24 November in Westminster Hall.

2. Write to your MP

We are requesting all campaigners to write to their Member of Parliament as a matter of urgency (please mark the email URGENT in the subject line) and ask them to do the following:

a) Attend the debate in Parliament on Monday 5 December 2011;

b) Dedicate their speech to discussing the case of Babar Ahmad and requesting that any changes in the law will also affect all pending cases.

c) Vote in favour of the motion.

Some or all of the following points should be made to support your argument:

• Babar is held under the UK's controversial Extradition Act 2003 which allows British Citizens to be extradited to the U.S for alleged offences that took place in Britain. The CPS recently admitted that it never reviewed all the evidence against Babar before it was sent to the US authorities. Yet it has repeatedly refused to charge Babar Ahmad in the UK with any criminal offence whatsoever.

• Over 141,000 people have signed an e-petition calling for Babar to be put on trial in the UK rather than extradited to the US.

• In June 2011, the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Human Rights called for the UK’s extradition laws to be changed to prevent the extradition of Babar Ahmad and others in circumstances where the domestic authorities had decided not to prosecute them.

• In June 2011, the Recorder of Westminster, Judge Geoffrey Rivlin QC, said about Babar Ahmad's case, "I express the hope that the ordeal of a man in detention in this country for a number of years without trial is brought to an end as soon as possible...”.

• The petition to put Babar on trial in the UK has also been supported by a leading lawyers, academics and celebrities. Sir Geoffrey Bindman QC stated recently that it would be “monstrous and scandalous to extradite Babar Ahmad to the US”.

• There are a number of other British citizens facing extradition to the US under the same Treaty including Gary McKinnon, Christopher Tappin, Richard O’ Dwyer, and Talha Ahsan. Two of those pending extradition have, like Babar Ahmad, also been detained without trial for 5-6 years. The alleged criminal conduct in all these cases is said to have taken place in the UK, yet the domestic authorities have not prosecuted them.

• Sir Scott Baker, who led the government-appointed panel to review the extradition laws, recently stated in a public meeting on extradition that the government has the power to apply any changes in the law retrospectively so that they affect pending cases such as Babar’s.

We encourage supporters to prepare their own letters using the above points. A sample letter is below for your convenience but a personalised letter always carries more weight.

You can find your MP’s email by entering your postcode here: http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

To help us track which MPs have been contacted, kindly send a copy of your correspondence and any replies received to [email protected]

3. SAMPLE LETTER

Dear

It has come to my attention that a debate on reforming our extradition laws to strengthen the protection of British citizens is to take place on Monday 5 December 2011. As your constituent, I am writing to request that you attend this debate and vote in favour of the motion that calls for a reform of the extradition laws in line with the recommendations of the Joint Committee on Human Rights.

The UK-US Extradition Treaty 2003 is imbalanced and allows British citizens accused of crimes allegedly committed in the UK to be extradited to the US without the US authorities having to demonstrate a prima facie case. A wide range of people from different backgrounds have found themselves ensnared by the Treaty including corporate bankers, terror suspects and alleged computer hackers.

I would like you to speak at the debate and call for any changes in the law to apply to pending cases as well. It would appear immoral to allow individuals to be extradited under a Treaty which is subsequently agreed by our parliament to be so unfair such that it requires amendment. I understand that Sir Scott Baker recently said at a public meeting on extradition that the government has the power to ensure that any amendments made to the law can have retrospective effect.

In particular, I want you to mention the case of Babar Ahmad, the longest detained-without-trial British citizen in the modern history of the UK. I was one of over 141,000 people who recently signed an e-petition calling for Babar Ahmad to be put on trial in the UK rather than extradited to the US. As it was this enormous pressure that has assisted to secure this full debate, it is only right that his case be specifically discussed by parliamentarians. You should note the following:

• Babar has been in prison for over 7 years without trial. He has already served the equivalent of a 14 year sentence.

• All the allegations against him are said to have taken place in the UK.

• The JCHR called for the UK’s extradition laws to be amended to prevent the extradition of Babar and others in circumstances where the domestic authorities had decided not to prosecute them.

• The CPS has admitted that it never reviewed all the evidence against Babar and others before sending it to the US authorities. Yet it has repeatedly refused to charge Babar in the UK with any criminal offence whatsoever.

• If extradited to the US, Babar faces up to three years pre-trial detention in solitary confinement and if convicted, faces life imprisonment without parole in a Supermax detention facility, the conditions of which are so severe that the UN Committee on Torture described it as amounting to torture.

I urge you, as my elected voice in parliament, to attend this important debate and vote in favour of changing the extradition laws such that they offer greater protection to British citizens such as Babar.

Please respond to me with a copy of any correspondence or representations that you make regarding this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Free Babar Ahmad Campaign

www.freebabarahmad.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Babar-Ahmad/170108582117

http://twitter.com/freebabarahmad

Source: http://freebabarahmad.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Following tremendous pressure from members of the public, the Parliament’s Backbench Business Committee have now scheduled a full debate on extradition with a vote to take place in the main chamber of the House of Commons where all MPs can attend. The debate will take place on Monday 5 December 2011.
-

Allahu Akbar! Wa Lillahil Hamd! Only last night, I was suddenly reminded of what he must have been going through and I made duas, i didn't knew Allaah will give such a great news to me in the morning, I would have prolonged my prayers and made asked for a lot more. . .Selfish me for going to sleep so soon but Merciful Him all the same! Alhumdulillah! La Huwla Wala Quwatta Illah Billa. Allahu Akhbar!

Keep praying People.

I'm so happy you shared this bit of news Aapa. May Allaah shower you with his endless mercy and grant you peace in this world and the next.

P.S. Things can go on our sides, 5th is the day of 'Ashoora. What better chance can we have to ask for Allaah's help? Pray, pray,pray.

xAllahKnowsBestx

Assalamu 'alaykum.

"In just over 15 hours, Babar Ahmad will find out if he is to be extradited to the US. 8 yrs of struggle to be decided in 15 hrs."

He needs our duaas now more than ever!

xAllahKnowsBestx

PS: They have 3 months to appeal this decision insha'Allaah.

‎"The men have three months to try to persuade the Grand Chamber to reopen the entire case and examine it. If the men fail to launch an appeal, they will be extradited to the US"

xAllahKnowsBestx

The Free Babar Ahmad campaign are urgently requesting that you write letters to the papers which have been covering today's ECHR judgement on Babar Ahmad and five others detainees in the UK.

Please incorporate the following points where possible:

- Demand a public inquiry into the CPS's mishandling of the evidence in Babar Ahmad's case, backing calls made by Babar's family and Sir Menzies Campbell earlier today

- That the Police respond to the following question - did they send all the evidence in Babar Ahmad's case to the US without sending it to the CPS to review?

- That the CPS respond to the question - did the CPS review all the evidence which was gathered in the raids on Babar's home and workplace in 2003 and 2004?

- If this is indeed the case then it is a complete travesty of justice and there has to be a public inquiry

- Refer to the Court of Appeal case in January 2010 of 'R v Sheppard and Whittle' involving the possession, publication and internet distribution of racially inflammatory material hosted on a remote server in the US. The Court considered that the UK was the appropriate forum for trial given the website was operated, maintained and all material collated within the UK.

- Commenting on Lord Carlile's statements to the Telegraph ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-extradition-ruling-is-entirely-sensible.html) - the inference of Babar's guilt as opposed to presuming his innocence until proven guilty by referring to his family's "loyalty" and "unsurprising" belief in his innocence;

- That he has invented and attributed to Babar Ahmad allegations which do not exist in the actual indictment ("offences committed in the United States... which affects American national security and the safety of American citizens")