US Army's Feb. suicide toll 'disturbing'

mhamzah

The US Army announces that there were 18 suspected suicides in February after an alarming increase in soldier suicides in January.

"It's a very high number, it's very disturbing," Col. Thomas Languirand, head of the Army suicide prevention program, said Thursday.

We're taking every effort we can think of" to try to bring it down, he added.

The spike continues a four-year rise in an Army under stress from costly wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Army normally releases figures on self-inflicted deaths only once a year.

The large number of 24 suspected in January caused officials to announce suicides monthly to focus attention on the problem and on prevention programs available.

Army Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Chiarelli said there were two confirmed suicides in February and 16 suspected but still being investigated.

In February 2008, 11 soldiers committed suicide.

The vast majority of suspected suicides are eventually confirmed, but the investigations can take months, AP reported.

When January figures were first released last month, officials said there were seven confirmed and 17 pending, a figure updated Thursday to 12 confirmed and 12 pending.

Source: Press Tv.

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
salaam,

huh, what a suprise, maim, murder, plunder, loot and go insane! just deserts if you ask me.

pcozzy

:salam2:

Living in the USA, there isn't a large number of what is called vagrants or those poor people on the city corner asking for money to by alcohol but claiming it is for food.

But I feel sorry for them, conversations with a few reflected that they were once in the military and are veterans. And I don't accept giving them to by alcohol at all, of course we don't know for sure what they do with money. The masjid where I live has reached out to those people by making warm food available on a regular basis, alhamdillah.

I guess those who kill the innocent, and harm a people can find it difficult to have any self-esteem or sense of accomplishment.

Thought I would share that with all.

:wasalam:

sazk

Banned
just desserts indeed. it is the punishment of Allah. we should take 3brat (lesson) from them.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
US is probably the only country in the world where you can refuse to go to war based on conscientious objection. Yet if they do not use this legally available option and go on to the missions to kill innocent people half way around the globe then it is they themselves who are responsible. Therefore it is they who receive the punishment as well.

They should just quit or desert or become a conscientious objector. It will be better for them in the long run.

Seeker_2601

I know what these soldiers are doing is wrong, but being thankful that they couldnt take the horror they brought upon themselves and that they decided to end their own lives? Wouldnt it be better if they had lived, and sought Allah's forgiveness rather than just wate the life that has been given to them? Isnt it possible that they dont know exactly what they're doing is wrong, because they've been brainwashed by their generals or whoever else out ranks them, but in the back of their mind know that they're killing the innocent? They cant turn to Allah because they dont think he's real, so who left is their for them to turn to other than their gun or their noose? I know they do horrible things (either out of their own brainwashed beliefes or the fear of the punishment or jail time the army would put on them) but isnt the end of a life that could have done something good a curse rather than a blessing? They could've went on to be a crazy serial rapist, or they could've gone on to be good muslims, had they known. But they dont have the oppritunity to do either because they couldnt live with themselves any more.
Just seems sad to me.

Idris16

oh paliiiiiiiise, let them kill themselves, just like they killed and terrorized others then they should kill and terrorize themselves,

never have muslim countries invaded usa and their likes.

sazk

Banned
seeker 2601,
these people made little children into orphans,made widows of women, made men get naked and marched them in humiliation, tortured them, went on a killing rampage and shot civilians as they liked because there was no one to stop them.

now tell me which US soldier doesn't know right from wrong?

Seeker_2601

oh paliiiiiiiise, let them kill themselves, just like they killed and terrorized others then they should kill and terrorize themselves,

never have muslim countries invaded usa and their likes.

But they could've done something better with their lives. Isnt it true that muslims are not supposed to hate anyone, but rather hate the evil that they commit? And to love a good deed, regardless of who does the deed? Any one of those soldiers could've said their shahada if they had the chance. You speak of them like they WANT to do most of the things they're doing but they dont know any better. They honestly believe that they're killing "terrorists" because that's what they keep hearing over and over and over again. Sure, some of them may just enjoy killing innocents and burning the lives of others, if for nothing other than for cruelty's sake, but I doubt those are the ones killing themselves because if they do enjoy those things, then why end it when their's lives to be ruined? Isnt it more likely that the people who subliminaly know that they're doing something wrong are more likely to kill themselves because they dont have any other way to end the nagging in the back of their mind that they're doing something horribly wrong? These arent just soldiers we're talking about, they're human beings with families and friends. Think of if they were your friends. I have a friend in the armed forces, not because he wants to kill muslims, but because he has bills to pay and he couldnt go to college any other way. His friend killed himself because many of the people in the group he was in was killed by an IED in Iraq and my friend was then put on suicide watch because of how depressed he was about his friend ending his own life.

Seeker_2601

seeker 2601,
these people made little children into orphans,made widows of women, made men get naked and marched them in humiliation, tortured them, went on a killing rampage and shot civilians as they liked because there was no one to stop them.

now tell me which US soldier doesn't know right from wrong?

How is it that you judging all the thousands and thousands of armed forces personel by the actions of some any different than the media calling all muslims terrorists because of the actions of Al Qaeda?
Those "muslims" flew airplanes filled with people into those buildings and killed thousands, and some muslims around the world cheered! Now tell me which muslims dont know right from wrong?

sazk

Banned
because every muslim doesnt fire a bullet in your direction. but every US soldier has fired a bullet in the muslim's direction.

remember i didn't say every US citizen is bad.

mhamzah

I know what these soldiers are doing is wrong, but being thankful that they couldnt take the horror they brought upon themselves and that they decided to end their own lives? Wouldnt it be better if they had lived, and sought Allah's forgiveness rather than just wate the life that has been given to them? Isnt it possible that they dont know exactly what they're doing is wrong, because they've been brainwashed by their generals or whoever else out ranks them, but in the back of their mind know that they're killing the innocent? They cant turn to Allah because they dont think he's real, so who left is their for them to turn to other than their gun or their noose? I know they do horrible things (either out of their own brainwashed beliefes or the fear of the punishment or jail time the army would put on them) but isnt the end of a life that could have done something good a curse rather than a blessing? They could've went on to be a crazy serial rapist, or they could've gone on to be good muslims, had they known. But they dont have the oppritunity to do either because they couldnt live with themselves any more.
Just seems sad to me.

Actually some of them have refused to serve in the army and have openly spoken against what is going on in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to some reports few of them have even accepted Islam, there is atleast one I know of, who is now married to an Iraqi women.

It would have been much better had then turned to Allah and asked Him for forgiveness and ammended their actions by creating more awarness in western world of what is actually going on in Iraq and Afganistan.

Allah swt forgivess every sins, if a person turns to him.

Idris16

But they could've done something better with their lives. Isnt it true that muslims are not supposed to hate anyone, but rather hate the evil that they commit? And to love a good deed, regardless of who does the deed? Any one of those soldiers could've said their shahada if they had the chance. You speak of them like they WANT to do most of the things they're doing but they dont know any better. They honestly believe that they're killing "terrorists" because that's what they keep hearing over and over and over again. Sure, some of them may just enjoy killing innocents and burning the lives of others, if for nothing other than for cruelty's sake, but I doubt those are the ones killing themselves because if they do enjoy those things, then why end it when their's lives to be ruined? Isnt it more likely that the people who subliminaly know that they're doing something wrong are more likely to kill themselves because they dont have any other way to end the nagging in the back of their mind that they're doing something horribly wrong? These arent just soldiers we're talking about, they're human beings with families and friends. Think of if they were your friends. I have a friend in the armed forces, not because he wants to kill muslims, but because he has bills to pay and he couldnt go to college any other way. His friend killed himself because many of the people in the group he was in was killed by an IED in Iraq and my friend was then put on suicide watch because of how depressed he was about his friend ending his own life.
First american,british,french,koreans and even somali soldiers can kill themselves who cares?? really americans have no clue abt religion and geography. there was an american soldier who was asked what he knew abt prisoners in gitmo, he's answer was, i dont watch news, i dont want to know whats going on in this world. and it was a soldier who didnt even know who OPRAH was. I love mujahideen more than anyone else in TTI(well i think so). These coward soldiers who assassinate others with military planes call mujahideen cowards simply because they cover their faces. i wonder who killed those poor somalis in ras kamboni and other towns in somalia.

the media should talk abt ''The Forbidden Truth'' the truth that the western govt is hiding.
Long live Mujahideen. mujahideen are not told to leave their family and house by a human being but they are told by Allah.

sazk

Banned
well in Islam, we believe that Allah is Severe to those who are severe to orphans.

you never know.

calm down brother Heegaan, Seeker_2601 is sad because he has a friend who's in the army. he thinks the US soldiers are innocent because he wants to think that. I think the US soldiers are evil because i want to think that. he may be right on some cases and i am right on some cases.

but Seeker_2601, the fact that muslims are being oppressed everywhere in the world. their lives have been stolen from them, they are crying out for help. ofcourse the ones who caused this, when they themselves suffer, what do you think is gonna be the natural reaction of these people?

Idris16

How is it that you judging all the thousands and thousands of armed forces personel by the actions of some any different than the media calling all muslims terrorists because of the actions of Al Qaeda?
Those "muslims" flew airplanes filled with people into those buildings and killed thousands, and some muslims around the world cheered! Now tell me which muslims dont know right from wrong?
I see you are new. but i have to ask have you ever asked yourself ''Why did this happen to us''
really i must ask, didnt u expect an attack, after u recognized israel,helped them in the UN,attack on vietnam, invasion of Somalia, and even after usa made the soviet to invade afghanistan. 1.5 million afghans died in that war. the most recent attack by US in my land, was 1st may 2008. and u can google it for urself and see what really happened that day.

and 9/11 was an inside job, i saw a documentary in my country and a young american boy, even younger than the age of thirty made a documentary and he showed others how it was an inside job.

Seeker_2601

because every muslim doesnt fire a bullet in your direction. but every US soldier has fired a bullet in the muslim's direction.

remember i didn't say every US citizen is bad.

But you're saying that every soldier is bad because he has to earn a living or, if he doesnt fire said bullets, he'll go to jail for a VERY long time and not be able to support his family?
Their is ALWAYS another side to the story when you're dealing with human beings, my friend. If, for example, you lived in my city, where Islam is viewed as a creation of the devil, and you hadnt the money to move away, and the only place you could work was for a christian church, and that was your ONLY option, would that make you a bad muslim? Some could say so, but I dont think it would, because people dont know what's in your heart or why you do the things you do and what you mean by it. Isnt it true that only Allah knows what's in a person's heart and that human beings dont have the mental capacity to truly and honorably judge someone?
Remember, many soldiers arent firing bullets at muslims, per se, but at Iraqi's or other nationality we decided needed to get bullied. The fact that they are muslim doesnt make any difference to them. If they were communist atheists, they'd shoot, if they were buddhist, they'd shoot. That doesnt make it right by any means, but just because someone attacked your friend for reasons you didnt know, doesnt mean they deserve to kill themselves.
I think everyone deserves a second chance. The only reason we should celebrate the death of an evil person, like Hitler, in my opinion, is to celebrate the fact that the evil the commited can no longer exist. But no matter who it is, it's still a human being and EVERYONE could turn out good once they had been evil in the past.

To be fair, I know that many muslim innocents are being killed in the war, but if they were muslims, are they not with Allah now, to be judged, for better or for worse, according to their deeds? Those soldiers who killed THEMSELVES dont have that option really, as Islam forbids suicide and since they died as unbelievers

Again, that doesnt make anything about this war by any means ok, but I cant fathom enjoying the death of another person.

sazk

Banned
why is it that these soldiers became "human beings with family and friends" when they are committing suicide? where was their humanity when they were firing bullets?

typical american behavior: 300 million palestinians dead in 60 years; no big deal.

3000 americans dead in one day; raise the ole hell