Violence Against Women in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raihan

FBI Report: Violence Against Women in America

Excerpts from the report:

"Three to four million American women are beaten each year by their present or former intimate partners. In fact, battery is the single greatest cause of serious injury to women - more than auto accidents, rapes, and muggings combined. Because domestic violence happens behind closed doors, many women who are beaten by their husbands or dates suffer in silence, sometimes for years, before seeking counseling or legal assistance."

"More than a million women are stalked in the United States every year. According to the FBI, more than 90 percent of women who were killed by a husband or boyfriend in 1991 were stalked beforehand."

"The FBI estimates that one rape is committed in this country every six minutes. And because so many rapes go unreported, many officials believe the true rate in the United States is at least twice this official rape count. The 1990 National Crime Survey estimates that of the known rapes, 58 percent were committed by someone the victim knew, including a spouse or boyfriend, and 35 percent took place in the victim's own home."

Source: http://www.lwvnj.org/womensguide/violence.htm#domestic

n they say muslims treat their woman unjustly...they should look into their own probs 1st b4 they point at us....hypocrites!!!!!!!!!!! :SMILY209::SMILY209::SMILY209::SMILY209:

:SMILY346:

ja_tu_miluju

:(

I am originally from America, and all this is so true. The police do not help once they learn I am Muslim.. and without their help, all we can do is suffer.:tti_sister:

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Salaam,

Last semster i did a paper on Domesic Violence Against Women, i find the same thing was shock but hey that is how life is. May Allah SWT protect all innocent victims nonmuslim and muslims.

Citara

It's a horrible fact. I don't understand it we discuss this is my Psych all the time it just shoulnd't be.

sajjuaiah

As=salaam Alaikum,

"Shame on them" They called this as free country.

Al-Hamdullillah,:tti_sister: Thanks to Allah" that's the reason why islam tell women to cover their modesty.

If they dont follow islam they will be humiliated. here and hereafter.

Ofcourse if they want to avoid this they should come to islam and learn islamic etiquette.

Jazakmullah Hu-Khairan.

najbc

As=salaam Alaikum,

"Shame on them" They called this as free country.

Al-Hamdullillah,:tti_sister: Thanks to Allah" that's the reason why islam tell women to cover their modesty.

If they dont follow islam they will be humiliated. here and hereafter.

Ofcourse if they want to avoid this they should come to islam and learn islamic etiquette.

Jazakmullah Hu-Khairan.

this is free country but there are people who are absive and what is happening to these women have nothing to do with free country. in every country, culture and group there are people like that in them, it is sad fact but actuality. I see that you are saying these women get beat up because they do not cover their bodies, so what about the muslim sisters that are been beat up what is the reasons for that. what is happeing has nothing to do with been muslims or not or cover or not. some pathetic men that want powere and the only way to get it is by harm weak ones.

sajjuaiah

this is free country but there are people who are absive and what is happening to these women have nothing to do with free country. in every country, culture and group there are people like that in them, it is sad fact but actuality. I see that you are saying these women get beat up because they do not cover their bodies, so what about the muslim sisters that are been beat up what is the reasons for that. what is happeing has nothing to do with been muslims or not or cover or not. some pathetic men that want powere and the only way to get it is by harm weak ones.

It is not about beating them up. it is about the rapes??? how it may happen without any dirty show-off activities.

Of-course, here big role playing by so called free women.

"The FBI estimates that one rape is committed in this country every six minutes. And because so many rapes go unreported, many officials believe the true rate in the United States is at least twice this official rape count.

Allah Knows best.

justoneofmillion

:salam2:
Abuse In America

* 4 million American women experience a serious assault by a partner during an average 12-month period. 1

On the average, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends every day.2

92% of women say that reducing domestic violence and sexual assault should be at the top of any formal efforts taken on behalf of women today.3

1 out of 3 women around the world has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime.4

1 in 5 female high school students reports being physically and/or sexually abused by a dating partner. Abused girls are significantly more likely to get involved in other risky behaviors. They are 4 to 6 times more likely to get pregnant and 8 to 9 times more likely to have tried to commit suicide.4

1 in 3 teens report knowing a friend or peer who has been hit, punched, slapped, choked or physically hurt by his/her partner.5

Women of all races are equally vulnerable to violence by an intimate partner.6

37% of all women who sought care in hospital emergency rooms for violence–related injuries were injured by a current or former spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend.7

Some estimates say almost 1 million incidents of violence occur against a current or former spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend per year. 8

For 30% of women who experience abuse, the first incident occurs during pregnancy.9

As many as 324,000 women each year experience intimate partner violence during their pregnancy. 10

Violence against women costs companies $72.8 million annually due to lost productivity.11

74% of employed battered women were harassed by their partner while they were at work.12

Ninety-four percent of the offenders in murder-suicides were male.13

Seventy-four percent of all murder-suicides involved an intimate partner(spouse, common-law spouse, ex-spouse, or boyfriend/girlfriend). Of these, 96 percent were females killed by their intimate partners.13

Most murder-suicides with three or more victims involved a "family annihilator" -- a subcategory of intimate partner murder-suicide.Family annihilators are murderers who kill not only their wives/girlfriends and children, but often other family members as well,before killing themselves.13

Seventy-five percent of murder-suicides occurred in the home.13

1. Issues and Dilemmas in Family Violence: Report of the American Psychological Association Presidential Task Force on Violence and the Family . Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 1996.

2. Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Data Brief, Intimate Partner Violence, 1993-2001, February 2003.

3. Progress & Perils: New Agenda for Women, Center for the Advancement of Women. June 2003.

4. Silverman, Jay G., Raj, Anita, and Clements, Karen. “Dating Violence Against Adolescent Girls and Associated Substance Use, Unhealthy Weight Control, Sexual Risk Behavior, Pregnancy, and Suicidality.” Pediatrics, August 2004.

5. Teenage Research Unlimited. Findings from study commissioned by Liz Claiborne Inc. to investigate the level of and attitudes towards dating abuse among American teenagers aged 13 to 18 [online] 2005 Feb [cited 2006 Mar 20]. Available from: URL: http://www.loveisnotabuse.com/statis...seandteens.htm

6. US. Department of Justice, Violence-Related Injuries Treated in Hospital Emergency Departments, August 1997.

7. US Department of Justice.

8. The Commonwealth Fund, Health Concerns Across a Woman’s Lifespan: 1998 Survey of Women’s Health, May 1999.

9. Helton et al 1987.

10. Gazmararian JA, Petersen R, Spitz AM, Goodwin MM, Saltzman LE, Marks JS. “Violence and reproductive health; current knowledge and future research directions.” Maternal and Child Health Journal 2000; 4(2):79-84.

11. Costs of Intimate Partner Violence Against Women in the United States. 2003. Center for disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Atlanta, GA/

12. Family Violence Prevention Fund. 1998. The Workplace Guide for Employer, Unions, and Advocates, San Francisco, CA.

13. Violence Policy Center (VPC), American Roulette: Murder-Suicide in the United States, April 2006.

http://www.ndvh.org/educate/abuse_in_america.html
jameel

kayleigh

Unfortunately, it's true that violence against women is something found in every culture, every country, and every religion. Well, not that it's IN a religion, but the practitioners of all religions.

Abuse In America

* 4 million American women experience a serious assault by a partner during an average 12-month period. 1

On the average, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends every day.2

92% of women say that reducing domestic violence and sexual assault should be at the top of any formal efforts taken on behalf of women today.3

1 out of 3 women around the world has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime.4

1 in 5 female high school students reports being physically and/or sexually abused by a dating partner. Abused girls are significantly more likely to get involved in other risky behaviors. They are 4 to 6 times more likely to get pregnant and 8 to 9 times more likely to have tried to commit suicide.4

1 in 3 teens report knowing a friend or peer who has been hit, punched, slapped, choked or physically hurt by his/her partner.5

Women of all races are equally vulnerable to violence by an intimate partner.6

37% of all women who sought care in hospital emergency rooms for violence–related injuries were injured by a current or former spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend.7

Some estimates say almost 1 million incidents of violence occur against a current or former spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend per year. 8

For 30% of women who experience abuse, the first incident occurs during pregnancy.9

As many as 324,000 women each year experience intimate partner violence during their pregnancy. 10

Violence against women costs companies $72.8 million annually due to lost productivity.11

74% of employed battered women were harassed by their partner while they were at work.12

Ninety-four percent of the offenders in murder-suicides were male.13

Seventy-four percent of all murder-suicides involved an intimate partner(spouse, common-law spouse, ex-spouse, or boyfriend/girlfriend). Of these, 96 percent were females killed by their intimate partners.13

Most murder-suicides with three or more victims involved a "family annihilator" -- a subcategory of intimate partner murder-suicide.Family annihilators are murderers who kill not only their wives/girlfriends and children, but often other family members as well,before killing themselves.13

Seventy-five percent of murder-suicides occurred in the home.13

1. Issues and Dilemmas in Family Violence: Report of the American Psychological Association Presidential Task Force on Violence and the Family . Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 1996.

2. Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Data Brief, Intimate Partner Violence, 1993-2001, February 2003.

3. Progress & Perils: New Agenda for Women, Center for the Advancement of Women. June 2003.

4. Silverman, Jay G., Raj, Anita, and Clements, Karen. “Dating Violence Against Adolescent Girls and Associated Substance Use, Unhealthy Weight Control, Sexual Risk Behavior, Pregnancy, and Suicidality.” Pediatrics, August 2004.

5. Teenage Research Unlimited. Findings from study commissioned by Liz Claiborne Inc. to investigate the level of and attitudes towards dating abuse among American teenagers aged 13 to 18 [online] 2005 Feb [cited 2006 Mar 20]. Available from: URL: http://www.loveisnotabuse.com/statis...seandteens.htm

6. US. Department of Justice, Violence-Related Injuries Treated in Hospital Emergency Departments, August 1997.

7. US Department of Justice.

8. The Commonwealth Fund, Health Concerns Across a Woman’s Lifespan: 1998 Survey of Women’s Health, May 1999.

9. Helton et al 1987.

10. Gazmararian JA, Petersen R, Spitz AM, Goodwin MM, Saltzman LE, Marks JS. “Violence and reproductive health; current knowledge and future research directions.” Maternal and Child Health Journal 2000; 4(2):79-84.

11. Costs of Intimate Partner Violence Against Women in the United States. 2003. Center for disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Atlanta, GA/

12. Family Violence Prevention Fund. 1998. The Workplace Guide for Employer, Unions, and Advocates, San Francisco, CA.

13. Violence Policy Center (VPC), American Roulette: Murder-Suicide in the United States, April 2006.

http://www.ndvh.org/educate/abuse_in_america.html
jameel

a free country indeed

muharram23

Staff member
My ALLAH protect them

salamu alaykum

may Allah protect who? The kuffar? Why should Allah sva protect those who do sirk to Allah, who do adultery, zina, alcohol, homosexuality. Better said, is may Allah sva guide them. Remember, that Allah sva destroyed the people of Lut because they were homosexual. What is going on here in states, is much worse. Everything that Allah sva forbad is being done here. Those women dress naked, showing every part of their body. Allah sva tells the believing women to cover their bodies so they would not be attacked by someone who has evil in their heart. These women dress with a purpose to get the attention of the opposite sex. So, that is what they got. Allah sva says in the quran,

"Everything good that happens to you (O Man) is from God, everything bad that happens to you is from your own actions". (Quran 4:79)

All these consequences such as rapes, murder, crimes, are the result of haraam that spread within that society. Also, tornadoes, hurricanes, volcanoes, tsunamis, etc. are the punishments that ALlah sent to those places because of the haraam.

We have to fear Allah sva as much as we can.

Allah knows best

Wasalam

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Women are abused all over the world I hate posts like this that generalise a certain country. Some countries don't even carry stats on abuse so how are you supposed to know the numbers, many people in other countries wouldn't even report something like this out of fear either. Men are the same everywhere, some are abusers ( confidence issues with their parts are probably why) and some aren't. MUSLIMS ARE GENERALISED ALL THE TIME, PLEASE DON"T LOWER YOURSELF TO THAT LEVEL, HAVE MORE COMMON SENSE

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
salamu alaykum

may Allah protect who? The kuffar? Why should Allah sva protect those who do sirk to Allah, who do adultery, zina, alcohol, homosexuality. Better said, is may Allah sva guide them. Remember, that Allah sva destroyed the people of Lut because they were homosexual. What is going on here in states, is much worse. Everything that Allah sva forbad is being done here. Those women dress naked, showing every part of their body. Allah sva tells the believing women to cover their bodies so they would not be attacked by someone who has evil in their heart. These women dress with a purpose to get the attention of the opposite sex.

:astag::astag::astag::astag::SMILY27:
don't even think I should respond to this kind of stupidity

muharram23

Staff member
:astag::astag::astag::astag::SMILY27:
don't even think I should respond to this kind of stupidity

salamu alaykum

i dont really understand what u mean? U mean i am stupid or my reply is stupid? Really wanna know what u meant by that?

wasalam

mgalvan

It is so weird when things like this happen within the American society, a female from a place where I work found out tht I am Muslim and she went to tell me "Don't worry, my husband hits me to" I was so upset that just bc a female is Muslim she gets treated with violence at home. I explained to her that my husband has never done something like and that none of my Muslim friends have never been victims of violence, at our homes there is nothing but love, harmony, understanding and the word of Allah is always in our hearts. It is so sad to be "red flagged" just bc of being Muslim...
mgalvan :ma:

muharram23

Staff member
Women are abused all over the world I hate posts like this that generalise a certain country. Some countries don't even carry stats on abuse so how are you supposed to know the numbers, many people in other countries wouldn't even report something like this out of fear either. Men are the same everywhere, some are abusers ( confidence issues with their parts are probably why) and some aren't. MUSLIMS ARE GENERALISED ALL THE TIME, PLEASE DON"T LOWER YOURSELF TO THAT LEVEL, HAVE MORE COMMON SENSE

Salamu alaykum

As you didnt realize is that the sister posted the info of the mistreatment of women in this country. She wanted to show people that even in this country, which fights so much to liberate the women in islam from mistreatment, how 2 faced it really is. We already know what it is happening all around the world but it is good to know what is happening really in the states. When someone on the media or in private asks you "why is it that in islam women are mistreated so much?" we can show them a proof of what is going on in their own country. So, just take it easy.

wasalam

muharram23

Staff member
It is so weird when things like this happen within the American society, a female from a place where I work found out tht I am Muslim and she went to tell me "Don't worry, my husband hits me to" I was so upset that just bc a female is Muslim she gets treated with violence at home. I explained to her that my husband has never done something like and that none of my Muslim friends have never been victims of violence, at our homes there is nothing but love, harmony, understanding and the word of Allah is always in our hearts. It is so sad to be "red flagged" just bc of being Muslim...
mgalvan :ma:

salamu alaykum

:) i like that one "dont worry, my husband hits me to" :)

wasalam

sajjuaiah

As-salaam Alaikum,

Guys, Please be cool.
Pray to Allah to help us understand the truth. :tti_sister:

Jazakmullah Hu-Khairan.

Status
Not open for further replies.