What do Muslims do on Halloween?

abu'muhammad

I have some re-considering to do, after reading this thread I continued on to learn more about this and similar topics. I'm very concerned now, that perhaps I "jumped" into Islam to quickly. I don't like the idea of having to teach my kids to be rude to their family when they are told merry christmas, and not allow them to participate in the secular forms of the national holidays, opt-out of choir someday in school, and deny them my culture. I am most concerned with making them stick out from their friends even more than they already would, unitl Islam becomes more well-known, and until there are more muslims, Insha Allah. I can kinda understand where my step daughter is coming from when she said to me "Being a teenager is already hard enough, I am not going to have to tell my friends I can't do or say anything when it comes to christmas and I can't listen to music, that's just asking for torment, that's why I have had friends that are muslims at school and even I didn't know they were muslims, no one wants to stick out." I always dreamed of doing things with my children and sharing and recreating the happy events of my own childhood with them. I am very disheartened now.

Assalamu alaykum,

I know there are two good replies over this and hope you don’t mind with the third.

mashaAllaah ! Its always a good time to enter Islaam and we do not initiate or plan that we think so but that is the favour of Allaah upon us – the best of favour.Without that the hearts won’t have turned towards the good.

The initial steps for new-muslim can be like baby foot-steps.During that making well-versed with the important aspects and duty.Execution of those duties and practices come with time and practice. And as mentioned by brothers it takes time to settle our-selves on the faith and the beliefs. But still we keep attitude, inshaAllaah to learn as much of that we are unknown to. Our intellect might suggest us some matter to be right or wrong but ultimately the decision lies with as what teachings of Islaam say or view about it.

I agree with that it is difficult to reconsider,erase those learning straight away over which the bigger part of life has spent, but still that has to be done ultimately though after a course of time -whether sooner or later.

The same way that happens in the country where I live as this thread discuss about Halloween there are other festivals. New-muslims have hard times to overcome their past cultures and traditions. Sometimes I see them celebrating diwali or holi for fun. I know they don’t enter polythiestic rituals, but still it is a fact that observing those things is following others in one way or the other.

I don’t know I must say this or not but I have many relatives in America, in fact from the parental sides.When I see some or hear from them than it seems that how much they have surpassed their identities. I see them different. Being sorry here and not generalizing in any sense or for any country. I know that’s more or less everywhere. The point is - that’s how cultures affect our lives, way of thinking and lifestyles. However ultimately on our part the duty for disposition is to please Allaah and lead life as He wills in every sense.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Excellently put, brother abu muhammad. BarakAllahu Feekum for taking the time to post here. As usual, I have gained some benefit from your posts and advice.. :)

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

abu'muhammad

:wasalam:

Dear BrotherInIslam7, Thank-you for the compliments, Infact that is your humbleness and humility towards me. May Allaah bless you for the kind efforts you put in here and reward you immensely.

barakAllaahu feeka..:)

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Dear BrotherInIslam7, Thank-you for the compliments, Infact that is your humbleness and humility towards me. May Allaah bless you for the kind efforts you put in here and reward you immensely.

barakAllaahu feeka..:)

Wa BarakAllahu Feekum.. :)

Thank you for your kind words, dear akhi. Ameen to your duas. May Allah reward you abundantly for your efforts as well and keep you and your loved ones in His protection. Ameen

Uhibbuka fiillahi..

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi..

arzafar

In America alot of the "holidays" are just secular, and a holiday like Thanksgiving has no religion in it what so ever. I am American born and raised this is my culture, I don't know if I am ready yet to give up my culture, these holidays for me are just fun for kids, all of the holidays, we don't have any part in the religious aspect of the holidays. Halloween is just fun for the kids to dress up one day a year without getting looked at weird, and to get candy. I never let my children dress as anything "scary" or "demonic". I don't give candy, we are usually out with the kids getting the candy. As far as not replying to people, how can I ignore my family when they say Merry Christmas? I love christmas it's just fun. I like snowmen and reindeer. I like seeing my children light up when they get up on Christmas morning and see that "Santa" came. I think that you are only a child for a short time, let them have fun, and not be serious. As long as my husband and I are teaching them to be good muslims, then accepting part of themselves which is my culture is good, I would have never asked my husband to deny part of his culture to them. Religion and culture are two different things. What is cultural in America can be laughable to someone in another part of the world.

since you are new to islam you shouldnt lose sleep over these and other issues. whenever you enter something new there will always be some adjusting to do. Islam is a complete way of life!

what you should be doing is informing yourself about Allah (swt), His characteristics and completing the 5 pillars to the best of your ability. This will give you sincerity. Then after some time you will have the conviction to cut the forbidden things in your life and make necessary sacrifices. you have to take things step by step. what matters now is increasing faith and developing sincerity in your actions.

also it is recommended for converts to migrate away from kaafir countries to muslim lands (the ones that allow it), even for a single muslim woman its is recommended to do that. muslims here and around you may tell u otherwise and give pseudo-logical reasons but this is proven from the authentic texts!

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/47672
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13363

that doesnt mean you pack your bags and jump into the sea. it means you plan your future accordingly, keep looking for opportunities in Muslim countries and ask Allah for guidance and help.

Ibn Uthaymin

Just read in InFocus News magazine about a clever way some American Muslims managed to celebrate Halloween for their kids, without actually celebrating it! What they did is that they held a party in the parking lot of the mosque, on a day other than October 31st, where the kids played and everybody had fun and ate good food. There were no trick-or-treat candy or costumes or any aspects of the macabre. They called the event Halaloween!

Lol that is epic!

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
urm..no one knock here..but even if they knock n give me candy..i would first take the candy..and say...sorry, no more candy.:D..

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I treat it like it's another day. And I thought the thing was if your porch light is on - you are giving candy. If the porch light is off - you're not. Thats how it is here and i leave mine off.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
No Halloween here!

:bismillah:
:salam2:

We didn't have Halloween here.
It's not part of our culture.

~May Allah swt help and guide us~Amin!

Take Care!
~Wassalam :)