What do Muslims do on Halloween?

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Here, they have this huge party downtown with thousands of people. It's fun to go and see different costumes. Some of them are really funny and creative. I don't dress up, and I don't stay home so I don't give out candy. I'll probably go this year, and maybe watch some scary movies with friends.

(I'm waiting for someone to tell me how horribly haram that all is... lol)

Horrible, just horribly horrible.

Seriously though, in response to your reason for going, isn't it better to stay home and even give out candy than go to a huge party downtown? I'm sure a lot of people are going to drink at these events.

um__ahmad

See thats how I felt.......I didnt know how haram it was. Just thought of it as any activity I do with my kids. Example the thanksgiving parade, is that celedrating a holiday thats not ours? Making a turkey on turkey day. I justhave to remember that we are trying to raise our kids in the western world. I dont want them to think that islam is not fun and everything is haram :(. Our eid is great and we have a eid party for the little ones, but in the community no one really even knows what eid is. :( so confused Im trying my best to raise my kids inshalla good muslims.

Here, they have this huge party downtown with thousands of people. It's fun to go and see different costumes. Some of them are really funny and creative. I don't dress up, and I don't stay home so I don't give out candy. I'll probably go this year, and maybe watch some scary movies with friends.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu allaicumu wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Dear sister we should first call " Salam", and after Insallah express our feelings or opinion about something.

Muslims have only two Eids which are Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul Adha, and are not alowed to celebrete any kind of other Eids, whatever they are of Chirstians, Jews or others. Islaam is way of life, described beatufully how it is in the Quraan, Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Mohammed sallahu alaya wa salam and practise of his noble Sahabahs r.a.

And celebreting of "Hallowen" or participong in it on any way is forbidden in Islaam, for many reasons. Beside that is not from Islaam and from Muslims to celebrete it, it is forbidden as well, to go on places where man are women are freerly mixing, Astagfirullah, wearing costums and watching movies with bad messagess. It is not from Islaam, Alhamdulillah.

La hawla wa la kuwata illabillah,

May Allah guide us all.

:wasalam:

JenGiove

Salaam Kayleigh,

for shaaaaaaaaaame kayleigh! :)

Actually, I've been to those "street parties" put on by the town. Hot cider is good!

I must concur with others tho, Halloween isn't the best holiday to be separated from your muslim community. ESPECIALLY in this day and age!

OMG! Why didn't I think it ot before! OH MY GOD! American's are so stupid.... if a Muslim (especially a sister) goes out on the streets in traditional Islamic dress, it might be construed as a "terrorist" costume!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD!....not ok at all!

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
See thats how I felt.......I didnt know how haram it was. Just thought of it as any activity I do with my kids. Example the thanksgiving parade, is that celedrating a holiday thats not ours? Making a turkey on turkey day. I justhave to remember that we are trying to raise our kids in the western world. I dont want them to think that islam is not fun and everything is haram :(. Our eid is great and we have a eid party for the little ones, but in the community no one really even knows what eid is. :( so confused Im trying my best to raise my kids inshalla good muslims.

:salam2:

I am thinking a little same and also; how to describe what is "taking part" to some celebrations? If someone gives candy to kids, eat turkey at some day when most others too eat it or go to look how other people are dressing funny (or strange) costumes, is it really as "taking part" to something?

In my country hasn´t kind of halloween in general like some other countries. It is more like All Saints' Day - then most common tradition here is going to bring candle to graves of relatives and remember them and those good moments we have spended with them before. Is that as taking part to some other celebration or just keeping them in our minds and try to remember what they teach to us? Yes of course I can do same at any other day - but is it forbidden if I do it also at that day when others (Christians) do it?

zinirah

lol i just remembered when i was younger my grandmother used to wrap bible verses in a candy rapper and give it to the kids when they came...i always thought that was funny...and smart..but i wouldnt do it...

yeah we just stick to the sign...lol...it's easier

trying2learn

In America alot of the "holidays" are just secular, and a holiday like Thanksgiving has no religion in it what so ever. I am American born and raised this is my culture, I don't know if I am ready yet to give up my culture, these holidays for me are just fun for kids, all of the holidays, we don't have any part in the religious aspect of the holidays. Halloween is just fun for the kids to dress up one day a year without getting looked at weird, and to get candy. I never let my children dress as anything "scary" or "demonic". I don't give candy, we are usually out with the kids getting the candy. As far as not replying to people, how can I ignore my family when they say Merry Christmas? I love christmas it's just fun. I like snowmen and reindeer. I like seeing my children light up when they get up on Christmas morning and see that "Santa" came. I think that you are only a child for a short time, let them have fun, and not be serious. As long as my husband and I are teaching them to be good muslims, then accepting part of themselves which is my culture is good, I would have never asked my husband to deny part of his culture to them. Religion and culture are two different things. What is cultural in America can be laughable to someone in another part of the world.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
As far as not replying to people, how can I ignore my family when they say Merry Christmas? I love christmas it's just fun. I like snowmen and reindeer. I like seeing my children light up when they get up on Christmas morning and see that "Santa" came. I think that you are only a child for a short time, let them have fun, and not be serious. As long as my husband and I are teaching them to be good muslims, then accepting part of themselves which is my culture is good, I would have never asked my husband to deny part of his culture to them. Religion and culture are two different things. What is cultural in America can be laughable to someone in another part of the world.

Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi,

I can totally understand where you are coming from.Everyone here has had a different upbringing and raised up in a surrounding where we develop different perceptions on festivities and celebrations. I can understand that you think that these things are done in the spirit of 'fun' and there is not much attached to it with regards to 'religion' or 'religious culture'.

However, as muslims we seek our religion in every aspect of our lives. We look to apply the teachings of Quran and Sunnah in our lives as much as we can, as we personally (or a group/nation of people who form a 'culture) can not devise a better way of living life than the Creator himself. We have to give preference to the teachings of our deen over our perceived notions.

Therefore when we approach a matter which has clear prohibitions/restrictions in our religion such as this issue ie greeting Merry Christmas, exchanging gifts of Christmas, children having fun with Santa etc, we have to first look and check if it is permissible by our religion, Islam. For this we study the works of our classical religious scholars (May Allah azz zawajal have mercy on them) who inform us about the rulings on this issue based on Quran and Sunnah and the sayings of our pious salaf.

If you kindly browse the links in my previous post, you will find out that it is prohibited for us to observe, greet or gift each other on these occasion that are non-islamic.

And as wise muslims, we should give preference to our religion over what we have been brought up with and what makes us happy etc. I understand that it can be really tough for us to change after spending years observing/celebrating/greeting on these festivals . But, there is an element of 'struggle' when it comes to seeking closeness to Allah azz zawajal and his religion. The reward and peace one gets by undertaking this path of reforming one's life according to the deen is something great and wonderful and we should InshaAllah tread this path of success.

I hope this made some sense. :) Please ask us more questions if the matter is not clear to you.

@BrotherInIslam,

Salaam

I also reciprocate during their celebrations by using the same greeting, which doesn't specify the occasion of the celebration, sort of like "happy holidays". I honestly don't believe this means I am imitating Christians. I believe it's mutual goodwill and respect of our differences, which is even more important now than it was a few years ago.

Walaykumsalaam waa rahmatullahi respected sister,

I see where you are coming from as well. But our faith does place restrictions on us from doing so. Therefore, what you personally view as being respectful, kind and friendly to your non muslim friends/neighbours might be totally prohibited in folds of Islam and has arisen from a lack of understanding of the importance of Tawheed.

Let's read what our pious scholars on such an issue InshaAllah

Praise be to Allaah.

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . ."
[al-Zumar 39:7]

". . . This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . . ."
[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/369)

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

ximkoyra

I just leave the lights off. No one comes

One of the masjids I go to sponsors a Halaloween night for the kids as an alternative to going out heh

OMG! Why didn't I think it ot before! OH MY GOD! American's are so stupid.... if a Muslim (especially a sister) goes out on the streets in traditional Islamic dress, it might be construed as a "terrorist" costume!!!!!!!

It's not a new idea :p I used to know someone who would dress up in a shalwar kameez (traditional south asian dress) and a turban during Halloween and do whatever. This was pre 9/11 though, so I don't think he does that anymore if he still celebrates at all anymore :p

Abdul25

Logical Believer
In America alot of the "holidays" are just secular, and a holiday like Thanksgiving has no religion in it what so ever. I am American born and raised this is my culture, I don't know if I am ready yet to give up my culture, these holidays for me are just fun for kids, all of the holidays, we don't have any part in the religious aspect of the holidays. Halloween is just fun for the kids to dress up one day a year without getting looked at weird, and to get candy. I never let my children dress as anything "scary" or "demonic". I don't give candy, we are usually out with the kids getting the candy. As far as not replying to people, how can I ignore my family when they say Merry Christmas? I love christmas it's just fun. I like snowmen and reindeer. I like seeing my children light up when they get up on Christmas morning and see that "Santa" came. I think that you are only a child for a short time, let them have fun, and not be serious. As long as my husband and I are teaching them to be good muslims, then accepting part of themselves which is my culture is good, I would have never asked my husband to deny part of his culture to them. Religion and culture are two different things. What is cultural in America can be laughable to someone in another part of the world.

If there is no aspect of religion in those events and if those events are merely secular and your intention is only to have fun and no religious affliction then i agree with you. but if those events have the indication of religious traditions then those are not permitted. like in our society , the cultural events are allowed if they dont have hindu religion events.

JenGiove

It's not a new idea :p I used to know someone who would dress up in a shalwar kameez (traditional south asian dress) and a turban during Halloween and do whatever. This was pre 9/11 though, so I don't think he does that anymore if he still celebrates at all anymore :p

I think my fear was about promoting a misconception....:)

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
If there is no aspect of religion in those events and if those events are merely secular and your intention is only to have fun and no religious affliction then i agree with you. but if those events have the indication of religious traditions then those are not permitted. like in our society , the cultural events are allowed if they dont have hindu religion events.

That is not entirely true. By making such a statement, you are implying that muslims can observe/celebrate secular events such as birthdays and new year's.
However, it is contrary to what our scholars have mentioned.

trying2learn

I have some re-considering to do, after reading this thread I continued on to learn more about this and similar topics. I'm very concerned now, that perhaps I "jumped" into Islam to quickly. I don't like the idea of having to teach my kids to be rude to their family when they are told merry christmas, and not allow them to participate in the secular forms of the national holidays, opt-out of choir someday in school, and deny them my culture. I am most concerned with making them stick out from their friends even more than they already would, unitl Islam becomes more well-known, and until there are more muslims, Insha Allah. I can kinda understand where my step daughter is coming from when she said to me "Being a teenager is already hard enough, I am not going to have to tell my friends I can't do or say anything when it comes to christmas and I can't listen to music, that's just asking for torment, that's why I have had friends that are muslims at school and even I didn't know they were muslims, no one wants to stick out." I always dreamed of doing things with my children and sharing and recreating the happy events of my own childhood with them. I am very disheartened now.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I have some re-considering to do, after reading this thread I continued on to learn more about this and similar topics. I'm very concerned now, that perhaps I "jumped" into Islam to quickly. I don't like the idea of having to teach my kids to be rude to their family when they are told merry christmas, and not allow them to participate in the secular forms of the national holidays, opt-out of choir someday in school, and deny them my culture. I am most concerned with making them stick out from their friends even more than they already would, unitl Islam becomes more well-known, and until there are more muslims, Insha Allah. I can kinda understand where my step daughter is coming from when she said to me "Being a teenager is already hard enough, I am not going to have to tell my friends I can't do or say anything when it comes to christmas and I can't listen to music, that's just asking for torment, that's why I have had friends that are muslims at school and even I didn't know they were muslims, no one wants to stick out." I always dreamed of doing things with my children and sharing and recreating the happy events of my own childhood with them. I am very disheartened now.

As-salaamu `alaykum

I understand where you're coming from... It is very easy to be polite when someone wishes you a merry christmas without explicitly saying anything of the sort back to them. Sometimes you will even sound politer than the one who wishes for you in the first place! Secondly, there are millions of ways we can have fun with our children without involving them in affairs that aren't really Islam-friendly.

Lastly, take things a step at a time. When Islaam was revealed, most rulings and regulations took years to be put in place, Allaah knows that mankind isn't accustomed to immediate change so even affairs like the prohibition of alcohol took place over a course of 13+ years! The important thing is that we try to be better Muslims and try to make a positive, Islamic change in our lives. You're not expected to give everything up overnight - most of us don't have such will-power and faith. If it's hard then try taking on boards gradually. Learn about Islam and then try to implement what you can as you develop. We all operate this way, it is our God-given nature...

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

I wonder can we declare that giving candy to kids during halloween has anything to do with some religious event. So that is just my own idea and my full respect to others possible different ideas about this.

Hopely I can still eat traditional ginger cookies at time of Christians Christmas (even they are typical in here just at this time) and I don´t need to close my eyes if I happen to see someone dressing as halloween costume at street. I don´t feel personally this is as "taking part" to anything.

:shake:

I feel better that I leave this discussion to others now.

Happy what ever holidays to everybody.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Don't be disheartened, respected sister. As brother Al Kashmiri rightly stated we have to take things a step at a time.

You mention that you feel that 'you jumped in to Islam too quickly'. Rather to the contrary, I feel that all of this is coming at you at once and it is overwhelming you. The knowledge of how muslims are supposed to behave when exposed to non muslim celebrations should come later down the road to a new muslim. Right now, it would be better if you concentrate on the basic teachings of Islam and obligations and slowly build upon them. 'Baby steps' I think that's how they refer to it.

It is quite natural for someone to feel a bit unsure if he/she has looked at some of life's aspects in a different manner than the religion states. Now all of a sudden, he/she is being told it is prohibited. It could unsettle a lot of people and this is not unusual. However, one has to remain calm when exposed to new knowledge and trust the teachings of his/her new faith. If you have brought about faith that this religion is revealed upon Muhammad SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam by our Creator, than have no doubt that it's teachings would guide us to whatever is in our best interests as muslims and humans. It might not make much sense now but after gaining a sound basic understanding of the deen, InshaAllah it will all make sense.

My advice would be to keep this knowledge at the back of your mind and concentrate on the basics. As I stated above, once you advance in your understanding of the deen, all this will slowly make sense to you on it's own.

Take care.. :)

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:I think of it as this way - Islam forbids us from imitating others in their non-religious behaviour and stops us from taking part in their celebrations for a very good reason - temptation. If a muslim gives out candy on halloween, and dresses up etc, next year they would want to do more of it, and gradualy before they know it, these things affect the imaan, and you find yourself growing weaker in your faith, and soon things which you would have thought as "No I shouldn't do this.." you start thinking "Eh, it's okay.. Not too important." I speak from experience. If you start to follow someone, you would want to follow till the end. People don't follow halfway - that way, you're neither here nor there, but torn between two lives, in a way.

My colleagues at work are planning a halloween party. I'm the person everyone comes to when they want to organize events etc. I'm wondering how I can get out of this. I'm praying InshaAllah nobody asks me to do anything related..

And last year when I was in Texas, I noticed tons of muslim families - their children did not go trick or treating. I casually asked them if they did, and was impressed by the answers I got. Little kids said "No, it's haraam. Going door to door and asking for candy is like begging." MashaAllah, their parents just buy them some candy and they're happy that way. There is always an easy way out.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

And last year when I was in Texas, I noticed tons of muslim families - their children did not go trick or treating. I casually asked them if they did, and was impressed by the answers I got. Little kids said "No, it's haraam. Going door to door and asking for candy is like begging." MashaAllah, their parents just buy them some candy and they're happy that way. There is always an easy way out.

:wasalam:

Alhamdulillah, good dawah going around in Texas. Yea, the kids here know their stuff regards to the deen MashaAllah. :)

kayleigh

Horrible, just horribly horrible.

Seriously though, in response to your reason for going, isn't it better to stay home and even give out candy than go to a huge party downtown? I'm sure a lot of people are going to drink at these events.

It's illegal to have open alcohol on the street and the place is swarming with police, so not really, unless you go into one of the bars. I have no religious or moral reason for not handing candy, it just seems boring to me lol