What do you eat for iftar?

aisha16

In my house it has been a tradition ever since i remember to cook a feast and we never eat out for ramadan.
when the athan sounds we eat dates, samosa, buur (special bread), malawah (like flat pancake), ta'miyaa, sometimes shurba and fool. (mind you this is before we pray
:SMILY149:

After we pray we either have lasange, pasta or rice
we go taraweeh..
then we have desert :)

Ooo I love malawah! My sis makes it sometimes delicious. And fuul too just had some not too long ago. Good stuff sis! :D

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Sharbat is basically any soft drink, and rooh afza is a brand name.

Here, in Bangalore, Vegetable Soup is distributed freely from most of the Masjids after 'Asr Salah. They start making it even before Zuhr Salah.

:wasalam:

:wasalam:

That's wonderful MashaAllah. In the middle east too, the members of ruling family and other rich people, have food cooked in large quantities and they distribute it to whoever needs it. Also at times, they setup tents and anyone can go have a meal..

It is a really lovely feeling to open fasts with so many other muslims from all backgrounds and cultures. :)

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salaamu `Alaikum warahmatullaah!

Sorry, I know this is quite old but I didn't feel the need to open a new thread.

Another year, another Ramadhaan. Maybe some of the foods y'all used to eat has now changed since last year. But anyways, hopefully some of you know this. someone(up there somewhere in this thread) said they eat 'Shourba'. And I'm curious. What exactly is it? Back home, we'd call 'oatmeal' shourba. So I doubt it's the same thing. Or is it?

And also, what's a parathi? Pharati? Spelling's probably wron. But yeah, this is a common food for the indo-paks I believe.

PS. I know the mention of food gets some you hungry and hungry people are usually grumpy so don't take it out on the keyboard yah?:)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Paratha...fried and good bread..like a light torita..most grocery stores now have them in the frozen section. Some come stuffed. They are lightly fried..if you can see Indian food being lightly anything. Good to eat with any meats, or to wrap, or even with daals and chutneys.
When made at home they used to be triangular..haven't seen that in a while. 'Shourba': if it is from the sub-continent it is the very water curry/gravy. That is what you sap up with a paratha or a chapati or place over rice. It is light.
The qurmas are the more exotic blend of spices.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

SubhanAllah, feels so great how people eat different foods. I start with dried dates, then I start with what is called murir bhorta in Bengali. It is puffed rice (which is very crunchy) with chickpea, tomatoes, chili, coriander leaves, mustard oil, salt, lemon juice, and another thing which is calle dabli ( I can not find the english name). It is very tasty. Then I have potatoe chops, fried eggplants, fried chicken/chicken shwarma (roll), haalim (made with beef and some other things, like a porridge), etc. And not to forget the jillapi, a sweet dish.

aisha16

As-salaamu `Alaikum warahmatullaah!

Sorry, I know this is quite old but I didn't feel the need to open a new thread.

Another year, another Ramadhaan. Maybe some of the foods y'all used to eat has now changed since last year. But anyways, hopefully some of you know this. someone(up there somewhere in this thread) said they eat 'Shourba'. And I'm curious. What exactly is it? Back home, we'd call 'oatmeal' shourba. So I doubt it's the same thing. Or is it?

And also, what's a parathi? Pharati? Spelling's probably wron. But yeah, this is a common food for the indo-paks I believe.

PS. I know the mention of food gets some you hungry and hungry people are usually grumpy so don't take it out on the keyboard yah?:)

Nope! Hasen't changed much sis :D

Still eating sambuus, buur, malaawa, or baasto/bariis. :p Must be a Somali thing, eh? But I have noticed I'm eating more fruit salads this year, that's a whole lot better than fried sambuus/buur right? But let's all remember TO NOT WASTE FOOD during this time of year, especially since there are children in Somalia who could really use all of the food we are devouring in the states/or west. May Allah help the miskeen over in Somalia and every Muslim suffering from the pangs of hunger! AMEEEEEEN!

Shak78

Water and a piece of bread before prayer then a soda, I need my caffine, pasta, salad and desert.

xAllahKnowsBestx

Nice thread, making people hungry.. :p :D

Well, my mom likes to chef it up a little during Ramadan;) , so we have different types of food everyday. Yesterday, it was Indian, so we had Shawarmas and today, it's Italian, pasta with a Desi twist (Of course lol). :p

"You know it's Ramadan when everyone's spiritually awakened.. Until Iftar." lol :D :D

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuhu

Jazzak Allah khair dear sister for sharing with us this very sweet thread mashallah and for giving us the oportunity to learn diffrent dishes from diffrent cultures MashAllah.:hijabi:

As it is Ramadhan and we are enjoying in diffrent delicious dishes for our iftars, it is remainder for us also to never forget to say " Alhadmulillah" for these blessings of our Rabb toward us, and it should be also enough remainder for all of us that we do not forget our Muslim brothers and sisters who have much less than us or who do not have even to survive, SubhanAllah. May Allah help them and not leave them without His Help.

Me and my family are making diffrent dishes for Ramadhan. We first break our fast with a couple of dates and a glass of fresh water or sharbat , than we serve dishes like dolma, diffrent kind of pies, sarma,meatbools, kebab,pilaf,chicken with tomattos, diffrent kind of salads, and some easy dishes like a soups.

For deserts we serve diffrent kind of sweets and cakes like baklawa, halwa,kunafah,lokum,dates with chocolate, black cake. And of drink we serve Turkish coffe or tea.

May Allah give us always baraqah in the food that we eat. Ameen ya Rabby

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
In my house it has been a tradition ever since i remember to cook a feast and we never eat out for ramadan.
when the athan sounds we eat dates, samosa, buur (special bread), malawah (like flat pancake), ta'miyaa, sometimes shurba and fool. (mind you this is before we pray
:SMILY149:

After we pray we either have lasange, pasta or rice
we go taraweeh..
then we have desert :)

Oh God, are you like my lost sister?? we do the same exact thing EVERY Ramdan. I even made malawah today :) YUMM!!! and uhm, its Pasta night!! woot woot!:hearts: Its amazing how we're like exactly the same and dont even know each other beyond this forum. Subhana'Allah!!

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu alaikum

Sambuus, Sambus, Sambosa = Samosa ??
yes Akhi, Sambuus is like Samosa but it is a bit bigger.....
sambus.jpg
I know the Indo-Pakistani Samosa...its so tiny!!! but beyond delicious!! :)

I am getting hungry...better leave!

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Ugh, I feel so typically American right now.

I get fast food on the way home from work and stick it in my fridge until after Mahgrib, then heat it up and eat it for dinner.

esperanza

revert of many years
oh dear..thats a shame...you should at least try to have some soup or something..healthier for uuuuuuuuuu

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
oh dear..thats a shame...you should at least try to have some soup or something..healthier for uuuuuuuuuu

I'd have to cook the soup, and by that time, I just want to eat.

However, I am going to masjid tonight to participate in their dinner and prayers. I really need the prayers right now especially...

esperanza

revert of many years
I'd have to cook the soup, and by that time, I just want to eat.

However, I am going to masjid tonight to participate in their dinner and prayers. I really need the prayers right now especially...

thats good .. iwas going to suggest ..why dont u do that...

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

Normally, if I am at home, I look at the sun setting... and when it sets, I Eat a few Dates... and drink some water.. and i eat porridge... The mosques here normally give Azan when it is dark, around 10 minutes after the sun has set. Also, they do not give Azan, in every single mosque they have a man to press a button and play a recording, and then they turn it off.

So, Then I pray maghrib. Then eat something light. Thats it. Then sometimes go mosque and stand next to people belching and burping and smelling like the food they fried... the worst is when they smell of cigarettes. - (This is in Jordan and Palestine).. They are over 40-50, so I dunno if it is better they stay home watching Musalsalat (TV Soaps and music shows) with their 10+ Sons and daughters.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Then sometimes go mosque and stand next to people belching and burping and smelling like the food they fried... the worst is when they smell of cigarettes. - (This is in Jordan and Palestine).. They are over 40-50, so I dunno if it is better they stay home watching Musalsalat (TV Soaps and music shows) with their 10+ Sons and daughters.
^ROTFL!! Ya Allah!

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
thats good .. iwas going to suggest ..why dont u do that...

I did. Today was the first day I made it all day fasting.

I had dates, chicken, rice, and salad. Good stuff.

Now I'm going to stay up all night and eat before fajr, then off to bed.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Noo.. I told myself I wouldn't read the whole thread, but I did.. and there's still so many hours to go till aftar time.

We usually have dates, water, juice, fruit salad (always), and then either boiled spicy chana dal salad (chickpea lentil) or pakoras. Then I have dinner after taraweeh. Usually any one Indian dish with rice or roti.

We're having a family over for aftar and dinner tonight, so its a little special today: For aftar: Dates, Juice, Fruit cream (sweet whipping cream mixed with apples, bananas, pomegranate, pineapple, and petha (don't ask)), Dahi Bara, chhole. Then for dinner: Kofte, Mutton qorma, Marinated chicken, Matar Pulao, and Salad. Then kheer for desert. I told my mom nobody can eat that much, but may Allah bless her, she loves to cook enough for a village. Lol. :)

Both my brothers are working/studying alone in Singapore, so poor them, they break their fasts with the weirdest things - ranging from fast food, and yesterday they just had gol gappe and samosa chaat.