what is aurat

revert2007

Love Fishing
many women still don't understand what is aurat.
a woman's aurat infront of people other than her mahram is exactly as how she covers herself during salat:
-everything is aurat except face and two palms

many do not cover ur feet while praying according to imam hanafi.
but again...u have to refer to what the prophet used to tell women during his time.

-aurat means do not wear something which can show ur figure including the figure of ur hand
-do not wear something which reveal what ur wearing inside including the colour of ur skin

What is Aurat?
What "aurat" means actually? I tried checking the dictionary to find what is "aurat" in english since "aurat" is an Arabic word. And I also tried checking the english Quran translator to find what is "aurat" called in english..So what I found is that "aurat" in Quran is called the "ornament" (24:31), "shame" (7:26) and so on in english.. Well, literally "aurat" comes from the word "aurah" in Arabic which means shame and humility(please tell me if I'm wrong). And basically it means certain part of the body that we need to cover from others to see..

Where is Aurat?
So, if we are talking about the certain part in the body, where is that certain part? Well, aurat for man and woman is different, since man and woman are different.. For men, the part where they have to close is between the navel untill the lower part of their knee..For women, they have to close all part of their body except their face and their wrist..

When should we close our Aurat?
Well, Aurat should be closed once you hit puberty. Why? Because when we hit puberty, our sins and deeds will be counted by Allah. For men, their Aurat should be closed all the time except infront of their wife. For women, their Aurat is like the men's Aurat infront of their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands,their sons,the sons of their husbands, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, and so on (please read the Quran, 24:31)..So, infront of others who are not mentioned in the Quran, the women can only show their face and wrist..

Why should we close our Aurat?
People mostly women think that it is unnessary for them to close their Aurat. Here, I'm not gonna tell you that we have to close it because the Quran said so, but I'm going to tell it based on the logic. Aurat is very closed to sexuality. For instance, when a man see the navel, the thigh, the breast, the buttock or the beautiful hair of a woman, the man will surely got excited and his lust will start to control him. And this is what Islam don't want because when the lust start to control a person, he will surely lost his mind..But hey, some women said that why must we closed our hair? Well, we never know what a person like to see. Sometime a man can get excited by just seeing some blond hair. So, in Islam, we like to take prevention since prevention is better than cure..

What are the correct ways to close Aurat?
First, the clothes that we are wearing must no be too tight. And then for women, the hijjab that you wear must at least closed the hair and the breast. To be more proper, wear a "jilbab" like mentioned in the Quran "O Prophet! say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers that they let down upon them their over-garments; this will be more proper, that they may be known, and thus they will not be given trouble; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.(33:59)"..

source : http://azalakapoor.blogspot.com/2008/03/aurataurah.html

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Jazak Allahu Khairan Brother/Sister..

I would like to point out an important issue..

Its not only strange men that women should cover their Aura from.. There's a part of Aura that must be covered even from other women.

Just like men cover the part from the belly botton to the knees from other men and women.

Women should also cover that same part from other women.

P.S: The T in Aurat is used to refer to the Aura of someone or a sex of people or a group.

like: Aurat al-nisaa' (The Aura of women)

And "Aura" without the T is a general term.
don't understand what is aura

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum sister

I just want to advice not to take everything people write on their blogs as true information ..
i would suggest to look for a fatwa from correct sources ..
Sometimes people write on the blogs just their own opinions or their own research ,without proper knowledge ...

Please dont be offended ,its just a suggestion ..I am a revert also ,and I been trying to take every information carefully ...
If you see the video on the blog is quite not Islamic...:(

waaleikum salam

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
of course a muslim needs to follow Quran and sunnah.

but can we really understand them without the guidance of scholars? there are so many matters in which we are incapable to deduct whether its halaal or haraam.
and why be against imam hanafi or any other like shafi, ahmed (may Allah's mercy be upon them).?

they have given us astonishing islamic heritage.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
All the 4 madhabs are upon Sunnah ,all of them are correct .It is only wrong when people follow one particular one blindly and reject the other ones..

waaleikum salam

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
..For women, they have to close all part of their body except their face and their wrist..

When should we close our Aurat?
..So, infront of others who are not mentioned in the Quran, the women can only show their face and wrist..

:salam2:...
but I dont think so...we are ordered to cover till the lower part of wrist joint. its the hand which we can uncover, not the wrist.
:wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Until one of us reaches the level of knowledge of Abu Hanifa..Al-Shafi'i..Ibn Hanbal..or Malik..and even if Allah has willed for one of us to reach that level of knowledge..

WE SHOULD KEEP AWAY FROM ARGUMENTS IN FIQH-ISSUES!

There's a reason why following a madhhab is NOT *a must*..and there is a reason why the men I named are FOUNDERS of THE 4 MADHHABS..they dedicated their LIVES for the purpose of interpreting the Qura'an and the Sunnah and founding fiqh for us all..if we find something we disagree with within a madhhab...nobody is pointing a gun to our heads saying *NO YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THIS*..by all means..feel free to move on and do further research until you find the *authentic and suitable information* for your *own* understanding..

We shouldn't have the "dismiss any and all opinions of fiqh so long they do not fit my liking attitude"...you hear something..or read it..and you're not sure about it...all one needs to say is...ALLAH KNOWS BEST..sweet and simple..THREE WORDS..that's all!

Rasulullah (saaws) said at an instance..

"It is narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed: People will constantly ask you questions pertaining to knowledge till they would say: Allah created us, but who created allah?" [Muslim, Bukhari]

AND

Ali bin Abi Talib (raa) said "Beware of arguing, for it wrecks the deen"

AND

Malik Ibn Anas once said about arguing in deen..."Every time a man more argumentative than another comes to us, we wanted to leave that which Jibrae'el came with to The Prophet (saaws) (i.e. Islam)"

AND

Once a man came to Al-Hasan Al-Basri and said to him "O' Abu Se'ed I want to debate with you (in deen)!" Al-Basri said to the man "Leave me for I know my deen, a none debates (the deen) with you but one who is skeptical of his deen"

AND

Omar Ibn Abdulaziz once said "One who puts up his deen for arguments, will often change (it)" (meaning: if a Khwariji argues with him he becomes a khawariji, if a mua'atazil argues with him he will become a mua'atazil, if a rafidhi argues he will become a rafidhi, and so on)

AND

Al-Asmae'e narrated from Al-Khalil bin Ahmad saying "There is not an argument without one coming after it which is better" (this has a similar meaning to the quote before it)

These words are not directed at anybody in *particular* they're for *everyone*...because ARGUING IN DEEN especially with *lack of knowledge* can not only confuse you but *confuse others*..sit back and imagine how Allah (swt) will look at you when you've become a *reason* for someone else's *confusion* or *skepticism* in their deen!..and good luck with all the fear you'll feel pounding within every drop of blood within you!!!

Finally..I will quote once more the words of Rasulullah (saaws)...

Abu Huraira reported that he heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Avoid that which I forbid you to do and do that which I command you to do to the best of your capacity. Verily the people before you went to their doom because they had put too many questions to
their prophets and then disagreed with their teachings. [Muslim, Bukhari]

Again I hope nobody feels like they're put under *a spotlight*..these are words ARE FOR EVERYONE (myself included!)..and they are coming from a sincere want of what is best for each of you brothers and sisters

:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member
But whats the prove from any authentic hadeeth that we should cover our feet, during prayer??

:salam2:

I'm not sure how this topic got here, but inshaAllaah this should help:

What is the proof that women have to cover their feet during prayer for prayer to be accepted?

Praise be to Allaah.

The free woman who has attained the age of majority is obliged to cover her entire body during prayer, apart from her face and hands, because all of her is ‘awrah. If she prays and any part of her ‘awrah becomes uncovered, such as a shin or foot or all or part of her head, then her prayer is invalid, because the Prophet said:
"Allaah will not accept the prayer of a woman who has started to menstruate, except with a khimaar (covering)" (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Ibn Maajah and al-Tirmidhi, with a saheeh isnaad)

Abu Dawud reported from Umm Salamah that she asked the Prophet about a woman who prayed wearing a dir’ (chemise or upper garment) and a khimaar (head cover), but no izaar (lower garment). He said: "The woman is ‘awrah."

As for the face, the Sunnah is to uncover it during prayer, so long as no non-mahram men are present. According to the majority of scholars, the feet must be covered; some scholars allow uncovering the feet but the majority say the opposite. Abu Dawud reported from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that she was asked about a woman who prayed in a khimaar and qamees (dress or gown). She said, "There is nothing wrong with it if the dir’ (chemise) covers her feet." In any case, it is better to cover the feet, to be on the safe side. As far as the hands are concerned, there is more leeway: there is nothing wrong with either covering them or uncovering them, although some scholars think that it is better to cover them. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, by Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, p. 57

lightofnur

Does this mean we have to cover our hair in front of non-Muslim women as well? I've always thought that they were women also, so there was no need. I've got a tutor teaching me, and since it's home tuition, I thought it's OK if I don't wear the hijab in front of her in my house. I won't contradict this if it's true, but could someone please provide evidence on this matter?

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Does this mean we have to cover our hair in front of non-Muslim women as well? I've always thought that they were women also, so there was no need. I've got a tutor teaching me, and since it's home tuition, I thought it's OK if I don't wear the hijab in front of her in my house. I won't contradict this if it's true, but could someone please provide evidence on this matter?

A woman is allowed to uncover her hair infront of other women as long as those women will not be describing you to their husbands, and Allaah knows best.

lightofnur

A woman is allowed to uncover her hair infront of other women as long as those women will not be describing you to their husbands, and Allaah knows best.

Now that's a relief, alhamdulillah. But I'm very sure I've read quite a number of times that the aurat between a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim woman is the same as a that between a Muslim woman and her non-mahram. I think they based this on a certain verse in the Quran (correct me if I'm wrong), that non-Muslim women were not mentioned in the verse, so that means we have to cover up. That scared me to no end, that did. I don't know what's right, to be frank.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Now I'm so confused, I mean I can't wear socks all the time - and half of my feet are covered anyway. And so this ruling would also mean that even if you are going out in full hijab and all, but you're wearing sandals, it's not right. ???

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Now I'm so confused, I mean I can't wear socks all the time - and half of my feet are covered anyway. And so this ruling would also mean that even if you are going out in full hijab and all, but you're wearing sandals, it's not right. ???

:salam2:

Any part of a woman's feet should be not visible to non-mahram men. Does that simplify things ?

A woman's dress should be ideally long enough to cover her feet (which is opposite to that of men ie lower garment should not extend beyond the ankles).

Also in prayer, the stronger (and widely accepted) rule is that women should cover their feet. Please refer to sister samiha's post for that ruling.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

Assalaamu `alaykkum. Even though there is no evidence for covering the feet while praying (as Shaykh ul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah said), it is always safe and best to reconcile between the scholarly opinions (since a large number of scholars held the view that the feet is `awrah) so as to get away from scholarly dispute.

As for that which the women should cover in front of non-mahram men, then the correct opinion is that they should cover the face and hands too (including the feet). There is an authentic narration in the Sunan of at-Tirmidhi, on the authority of ‘Abdullah b. Mas`ood, that the Prophet said, “The (entire) woman is ‘awrah.” This was authenticated by Ibn Hibbaan, Ibn Khuzaymah, and al-Albaani said its isnād (chain) is sahīh. This narration gives an asl (origin) which is that the woman needs to cover her entire body.

Also all the ahadeeth about uncovering the face, are either not clear (i.e can be interpreted in different ways) or has weaknesses in its chains.

Wassalaamu `alaykkum

xAllahKnowsBestx

I've always prayed covering my feet but recently I stopped cuz my friends told me it's okay to uncover my feet when I'm praying [My fault for listening without making sure].. So, you're supposed to cover your feet? I'm just gonna do it to be on the safe side, but I know a lot of people who say it's okay.
I'm confused!

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I've always prayed covering my feet but recently I stopped cuz my friends told me it's okay to uncover my feet when I'm praying [My fault for listening without making sure].. So, you're supposed to cover your feet? I'm just gonna do it to be on the safe side, but I know a lot of people who say it's okay.
I'm confused!

Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi respected sister,

Please refer to sister samiha's post above, you can read the entire ruling with regards to it.

The majority of the scholars say that woman should cover her feet in Salah as it is a part of her Awrah. They base their ruling of this below hadeeth :

"Allaah will not accept the prayer of a woman who has started to menstruate, except with a khimaar (covering)" (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Ibn Maajah and al-Tirmidhi, with a saheeh isnaad)

Therefore, it is better to be on the safer side and cover the feet in Salah for women and girls who have reached menstruation.

And Allah knows best.

Also, the feet is a part of women's awrah and should be covered in front of non-mahram men.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi